Plasma and Gaming: I feel guilty everytime I use my Plasma for Gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a PS3 after selling my HD-DVD player for a very good price.
My choice for gamiing is either the 42" PX75U or my LCD based Z4 Front projector on 106" screen. Although the PS3 simply SHINES on the 106" screen, the Projector has a very limited bulb life and I also try to keep the "strikes" on the bulb to a minimum. On the other hand using the Plasma for gaming comes with guilt/fear of burn-in.
I have used the plasma for about 4 hours so far with the PS3 and although there was some burn-in right after I turned the Plasma off, it was all gone by the next time I turned it back on.
So, with the manufacturers not being clear about the gaming use on plasma as I hear statements from samsung saying " 5% or less for gaming" and other manufactures saying "keep gaming to a minimum" I am really left wondering if I shoudl be using the plasma at all for gaming.
If some of you can share how much % of your use is gaming that may help me feel better and/or give me a better idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 View Post

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a PS3 after selling my HD-DVD player for a very good price.
My choice for gamiing is either the 42" PX75U or my LCD based Z4 Front projector on 106" screen. Although the PS3 simply SHINES on the 106" screen, the Projector has a very limited bulb life and I also try to keep the "strikes" on the bulb to a minimum. On the other hand using the Plasma for gaming comes with guilt/fear of burn-in.
I have used the plasma for about 4 hours so far with the PS3 and although there was some burn-in right after I turned the Plasma off, it was all gone by the next time I turned it back on.
So, with the manufacturers not being clear about the gaming use on plasma as I hear statements from samsung saying " 5% or less for gaming" and other manufactures saying "keep gaming to a minimum" I am really left wondering if I shoudl be using the plasma at all for gaming.
If some of you can share how much % of your use is gaming that may help me feel better and/or give me a better idea.

That is not burn in.....it is IR and goes away....just switch to discovery channel or run your scroll bar. Not a big deal....

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #3 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Guilty? You'll get over it with time...when I got my first plasma over 4 years ago I was paranoid for about 2 weeks...and then I said "f-that" and just started treating it like a cool looking tv instead of some fragile, tempermental space age technology showcase that had to be babied.

edit- all 3 of my plasmas have seen plenty of Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3 gaming, and they are still happily chugging along.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #4 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I fear getting burn in from black bars after years of movie watching more than fear burn in from gaming. It is very hard to get burn in with gaming these days, black bars are far more common than static logos in games.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam1996 View Post

Hey guys,

I find that since there is action and movement that burn with video games don't happen very often.

Good luck.

I love LCD TV Installation & Plasma TV Installation on the wall! Listen to the Doctor, Stand up and Listen to the Doctor!
post #6 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM

Played about 14 hours of Metal Gear Solid 3 on my plasma over the past 10 days.

Nothing but great image quality the whole time. Not a bit of IR or burn in.

Stop feeling guilty and enjoy your games!

David
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop!
post #7 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys, you may have helped me more than you think.
I just received my copies of F1 and GT5 Prologue and cant wait for this weekend.

I have never been or will never be a "gamer" but with a 5 yr old son and my weakness for racing simulation games, I plan on spending a few hours of gaming a week on the panny.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I've been sitting here reading through the AVSForum for about 45 minutes now, and saw this thread. Just realized that behind my my 360 has been sitting, on, with my Panny plasma. No concern, just the memory of when I first received my Panny and how gently I treated it.

Have no fear of burn-in. Treat your Panny right, make sure your settings make sense, and if you haven't had it for long, perhaps try the break-in period method.

Regardless, you should be good to go!

-JR
post #9 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

I got a Panny PZ77U back in late Sept. kept gaming to a minimal for the first 200 hrs or so....I now have no worries at all using my Xbox 360 or PS3. Granted I am not a marathon gamer(10+ hrs at a time)...but fear not and game away on your plasma!!!

If I am watching a hockey game and then shut my set off...if I look closely I can sometimes still see the score across the top of the screen in a dark room. Once I fire the set up again and change the chanell it is gone....minor IR at times but certainly NOT burn in.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM

I dont care what anyone says in here. If you play a video game with a static image on it for 6-10 hours straight you WILL get burn in. Last year when Gears of War came out - I played it like crazy. I burned in my plasma and used the wiper and let it sit on discovery HD all night after gaming and the HUD still burned into my screen.

I would agree with these guys that its cool to game - but give the plasma a break - no more than 4 hours straight...
post #11 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa View Post

I dont care what anyone says in here. If you play a video game with a static image on it for 6-10 hours straight you WILL get burn in. Last year when Gears of War came out - I played it like crazy. I burned in my plasma and used the wiper and let it sit on discovery HD all night after gaming and the HUD still burned into my screen.

I would agree with these guys that its cool to game - but give the plasma a break - no more than 4 hours straight...

I'm not terribly familiar with your NEC, but isn't that an issue that is known to be specific to those displays?
post #12 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa View Post

I played Smash Bros Brawl for about 7 hours straight when it came out, and almost every day since. I have had zero IR from the game, some temporary IR from the menu that was onscreen right before I turned the Wii off, but zero IR from the actual game that I had been playing for 7 hours straight almost every day for the past week. (and SSBB has static %bars and timers on during most of the gameplay)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #13 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 AM

No wonder LCDs continue to outsell Plasmas with all this ridiculous burn in and break in talk.. Who wants to deal with that when buying a TV?

We aren't living in 2001. Use your plasma like any other display from day one. It will be fine.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been playing Army of Two for hours upon hours on my 150FD and do not have an issue....
post #15 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post

No wonder LCDs continue to outsell Plasmas with all this ridiculous burn in and break in talk.. Who wants to deal with that when buying a TV?

We aren't living in 2001. Use your plasma like any other display from day one. It will be fine.

Exactly my point, no need to baby it these days.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #16 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Exactly my point, no need to baby it these days.

You say that a few posts after a gamer reports having burn-in from gaming.

post #17 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

You say that a few posts after a gamer reports having burn-in from gaming.

So you are reviving year-old threads about burn-in?
post #18 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM

Huh? I am little confused here. Some are saying they are getting burn-in and some say no-way. Can I just get some clarification on this for a moment (yes, I have read lots of other threads but they go on and on in all kinds of directions).

I have a Panasonic TH50PX600U panel. It's about 2 years old.

My understanding is that if I were to leave a static image on the screen (i.e. something paused or perhaps even played a game with a HUD at the bottom) for say, 3-4 hours, then over time I might, just might, experience some burn-in (i.e. doing this for many days or weeks at 3-4 hours per day).

However, if I am watching a news show with a scrolling ticker that frequently goes to commercials (therefore the screen changes) or playing Wii Golf for example that has screens that change every minute or two (i.e. going to completely different screens) then I should be fine.

Are these accurate statements or should I now be concerned?
post #19 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscool View Post

Huh? I am little confused here. Some are saying they are getting burn-in and some say no-way. Can I just get some clarification on this for a moment (yes, I have read lots of other threads but they go on and on in all kinds of directions).

My understanding is that if I were to leave a static image on the screen (i.e. something paused or perhaps even played a game with a HUD at the bottom) for say, 3-4 hours, then over time I might, just might, experience some burn-in (i.e. doing this for many days or weeks at 3-4 hours per day).

However, if I am watching a news show with a scrolling ticker that frequently goes to commercials (therefore the screen changes) or playing Wii Golf for example that has screens that change every minute or two (i.e. going to completely different screens) then I should be fine.

There is ONE person reporting burn-in; everyone else is talking about Image Retention. My children and I have played games ranging from PS3 shooters to Wii arcade games for many hours over the last year on our Panny 50pz85u and I see no ill effects from it. I get IR, but it is usually gone within minutes of watching material that has motion where the static images were.

Like PENDRAG0ON, though, I believe UNEVEN WEAR from unused portions of the screen is still a possibility if you watch mostly material that is 4:3 that isn't stretched or primarily movies with black bars on top and bottom and not much full screen material. The phosphors age on plasma sets, so if large portions of the screen remain unused over the life of the set, it will not age at the same rate as the used portion. However, with the half-life of these new sets, it may take 10-20 years to notice, but I've not seen any testing on this.

Sure, if you use your set as a news display 24/7, with constant logos and scrolling tickers, you'll eventually get burn in. But that would happen with old CRT's and LCD panels as well given enough time. Use your pdp as you used your old CRT, and there shouldn't be any problems. IMO.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscool View Post

I'm about 10 days into owning a 42pz80u. Maybe twice I have had moments of IR. I've played PS3 games for many hours at a time without issue. I'm no omnipotent expert, but I think people just need to understand that IR happens and that it's not a big deal at all. It always goes away nearly immediately. Perhaps this is not the case with older sets, or with other manufacturers, but from what I've personally experienced and what I've read all major plasmas (Pio, Sammy, Panny) have IR to some degree. It all goes away quickly. Permanent burn-in does not happen any longer. Part of having a technology that provides the highest PQ means running your IR scrollbar for 30 seconds a day. People can be so paranoid and anal sometimes, which is understandable on investments like these, but be reasonable and rational and just enjoy your TEEVEE.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM

I don't even think burn in is as big a threat as people are making it out to be with these newer plasmas. My office has 2 60" samsung plasmas in a conference room that are on for 12hrs a day with a static image or room view, and have been for the past 3 years. When I go up there and turn them off, nothing (no IR or burn in) is left on the screen, and the same image is on the screen in the same spot everyday. We have a hearing room that has two 60" pioneer plasmas that also stay on for the majority of the day with images or camera views with no signs. We also have a couple of 42" NEC plasmas from 2001 that have static images from our video teleconferencing equipment. They too do not suffer from any burn in. With that kind of evidence, I would guess that any burn in on today's panels would be very mild, if at all. The days of seeing those sitcom credits on the screen 6 years after you watched them are over I hope. IR of course is a different thing, as is stressed repeatedly.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectEF View Post

I don't even think burn in is as big a threat as people are making it out to be with these newer plasmas. My office has 2 60" samsung plasmas in a conference room that are on for 12hrs a day with a static image or room view, and have been for the past 3 years. When I go up there and turn them off, nothing (no IR or burn in) is left on the screen, and the same image is on the screen in the same spot everyday. We have a hearing room that has two 60" pioneer plasmas that also stay on for the majority of the day with images or camera views with no signs. We also have a couple of 42" NEC plasmas from 2001 that have static images from our video teleconferencing equipment. They too do not suffer from any burn in. With that kind of evidence, I would guess that any burn in on today's panels would be very mild, if at all. The days of seeing those sitcom credits on the screen 6 years after you watched them are over I hope. IR of course is a different thing, as is stressed repeatedly.

IR and burn-in isn't visible when the set is off, put up an all black or all white screen to be sure.

After over a year of heavy, don't care about IR gaming on my plasma, I have no signs of any burn-in on either an all black or all white screen. (I am still careful about black bars though)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #23 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM

I had the Panasonic 50in Plasma, got it right before I watched the Colts win the superbowl. I broke it in then got a 360, Lost Planet non stop for weeks after I got off work. Had the HUD Burned or Image Retentioned in, but went away after I started Playing Madden for the longest, then the scoreboard was up there at teh top, oh well, looks good and doesnt bother me unless dark grey screen
post #24 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:

IR and burn-in isn't visible when the set is off, put up an all black or all white screen to be sure.

After over a year of heavy, don't care about IR gaming on my plasma, I have no signs of any burn-in on either an all black or all white screen. (I am still careful about black bars though)

I can say for a fact that atleast the NEC panels don't have any as I don't see anything when switching to empty inputs (which is a black screen). The VC equipment takes a good minute before the boot screen, and no past images are on the screen when I am waiting for it.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

I feel guilty gaming on my plasmas too. Guilty that there are LCD owners out there suffering with poor motion and flat images when they are gaming on their sets

Break in the panel, then you should be fine. No trouble with burn-in on my plasma, at this point even IR is minimal. Just play your games and enjoy 'em
post #26 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post

I feel guilty gaming on my plasmas too. Guilty that there are LCD owners out there suffering with poor motion and flat images when they are gaming on their sets

Break in the panel, then you should be fine. No trouble with burn-in on my plasma, at this point even IR is minimal. Just play your games and enjoy 'em

Plasma owners can be just as pompus as LCD owners. The LN52A650 suffers in no way from poor motion or flat images with gaming. As far as gaming is concerned, I will take the 650 (or the W4100 or the Mitsu) all day long and then some. When I play Motostorm on my 5020, I have to go to Dynamic mode with the night races. The 5020 trumps LCD in most ways, but don't start playing the Kuro rules all game.

The Kuro is awesome and it is in fact dim. It is not nearly as bright as LCDs or many plasmas for that matter. And don't play the "brighter" is bad game either. Some people like brighter, and that is very evident throughout this forum.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I fear getting burn in from black bars after years of movie watching more than fear burn in from gaming. It is very hard to get burn in with gaming these days, black bars are far more common than static logos in games.

How common is this and is there a recommended limit?
I plan on using my set for mostly watching movies and I imagine there are going to be a lot of black bars. Is there a safe limit? Or is it better to zoom (not wanting to do that)?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page