Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5668 Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

I was kind of concerned because immediately after turning off the menu and looking at an all-black "No Signal" screen, I could see some image retention of the television's menu. I originally thought it was a reflection until I went in a little closer. Hopefully, this isn't a common issue. But then again, after all, once you have the TV set the way you want it, how often are you going to need to tamper around in the menu settings anyway?

Due to my intense paranoia and this being my first plasma, aside from my two minutes of watching a standard DVD, I refuse to watch anything else until I've logged at least 100-150 hours of the break-in DVD. .

should that happen in a 2008 plasma with all the anti-burn technologies built in the TV????? wow...that post was a "STOP" for me for the moment...

how many minutes was the "tv menu" displayed? the anti-burn stuff was turned on? I have a PHILIPS plasma that gets some IR with only minutes of exposition (they go away really fast when the picture changes) but I just couldn't tolerate it in a brand new 2008 plasma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5668 Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM

Owners:
Any buzzing issues to report on these new 550 series units?
TIA
post #363 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarel View Post

Hi All ! I usually don't post my views on these forums , but I love reading all of your reviews, findings and opinions etc. I thought I'd share an observation to see what kind of feedback I'd get from the members of this forum.

I've read from these forums that most flat panel TV's can't achieve the black levels of a CRT TV's. That when viewing black bars on flat panel sets they seem light or lean more towards grey. But when I am watching any of my Sony XBR, Panasonic Gaoo, or Hitachi CRT TV's, I see exactly what members use to judge good black levels for flat panel TV's. The bars are not perfect black, they are more greyish or lighter black, but the actual black in the picture seems to be true black. I think this is where black levels are important. I have recently viewed the Samsung Series 5 and Panasonic Plasma TV's side by side and noticed the same lighter black bars, but black content material was as good if not better than my CRT TV's. So my question is; Isn't more important that these sets produce true blacks in actual content material and not the black bars? I would really welcome your feedback on this observation. Maybe I'm missing something on this whole black level topic? Thanks; pcarel

I see the same thing that you do. The blacks in the actual image are darker than the bars. How well the tv does the blacks in the image, is what is important to me. I just know that my PN50A550 looks better than anything else that I have had.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #364 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 AM

I bought the pn58a550 last week and I'm concerned that the set is "calibrated" (Using DVD essentials) with contrast set > 80 (better at 95).

Most plasmas can run at ~50 for calibrated contrast.

What happens when the phosphors start to degrade? I only have 5% (max is 100) of contrast left?
post #365 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM

OK SO WE HAVE THE CNET SETTINGS FOR HDMI...BUT.... what settings should we use for other sources such as regular digital tv, games? I wish i new how to calibrate the A550 cause I want to be able to get the most out of the picture. What techniques do you guys use to get the perfect picture??
thanks
post #366 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellnitz View Post

I bought the pn58a550 last week and I'm concerned that the set is "calibrated" (Using DVD essentials) with contrast set > 80 (better at 95).

Most plasmas can run at ~50 for calibrated contrast.

What happens when the phosphors start to degrade? I only have 5% (max is 100) of contrast left?

Whats Dvd essentials???? How does it operate???

thanks !
post #367 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 AM

Liked: 12
The only IR I have noticed on the TV was the black widescreen bars after watching Spiderman 3 however they went away after a few minutes.
post #368 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copster30 View Post

The only IR I have noticed on the TV was the black widescreen bars after watching Spiderman 3 however they went away after a few minutes.

hmmm, anyone else could report issues with IR or burn-in with the Sammy?? what about the Panny?

Samsung specifies lots of anti-burn protections but Panasonic declares just "Pixel Shifting". Which one should I trust??

let me tell you that I'm no LCD fanboy/Burn-in paranoid 'cos in fact I own a plasma...but I thought the anti-burn technology had improved in order to eliminate these issues in today's panels...

IR should NOT exist with 20 minutes of static video right? so the anti-burn stuff isn't that effective?
post #369 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM

***********PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU OWN A PN50A550***************

I WAS JUST DUSTING MY SAMSUNG PN50A550 AND I NOTICED SOMETHING VERY STRANGE. ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN TOWARDS THE VERY TOP AND THEN AGAIN TOWARDS THE VERY BOTTOM THERE IS A SMALL PEICE OF THE SCREEN MISSING. ITS ABOUT A 1/4 INCH WIDE AND ABOUT A 1 INCH LONG. ITS ONLY ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE TV AND ONLY NEAR THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM. PLEASE PLEASE GO CHECK AND SEE IF YOUR SET HAS THE SAME THING......I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL CAUSE NOW IM FREAKING OUT......***NOTE*** THE TV HAS TO BE TURNED OFF, AND YOU HAVE TO LOOK VERY CLOSELY.
post #370 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondeak View Post

Whats Dvd essentials???? How does it operate???

thanks !

Go to Amazon and search for DVE or Avia

You can prob also find them at Netflix or Blockbuster
post #371 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSam View Post

People, extended service plans are a way to suck money out of you! (upsell alert)
The TV comes with at least a year warranty, pay for it with a good credit card, and your CC company will double the manufacturer's warranty. Check your CC benefits to find out if your CC offers this feature.
If a TV is faulty it will break well within first year.
I would rather spend the money on insurance, as after a year, the TV has better chances of being broken by the user, than failing due to manufacturing problems.

Wow do I disagree with this one. I purchased a HLR5067W Samsung DLP over 2 years ago with the Best Buy 4 year warranty and about 3 months ago I started having problems with one of the component inputs causing the image to turn green. 1st tech trip, replaced the analog board, no luck, then 4 subsequent trips, all replacing the digital board. The new board would last for about 8 hrs and then random green bars. Tech called in and best buy replaced it under the lemon. I thought I had to go with another DLP and chatted with the BB manager, and he said you have to, but we will work something out. Long story short, got the PN50A550 for free, and applied the leftover credit (about $200) onto the extended warranty. Walked out spending $150 K and my TV is now under warranty until April 2012.

The warranty is worth the money, and BB makes it no hassle.
post #372 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadman50 View Post

Walked out spending $150 K and my TV is now under warranty until April 2012.

You spent $150,000? Man, you got robbed

Seriously though, I may have to consider getting me a warranty and hope the TV breaks in 2 or 3 years
post #373 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I WAS JUST DUSTING MY SAMSUNG PN50A550 AND I NOTICED SOMETHING VERY STRANGE. ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN TOWARDS THE VERY TOP AND THEN AGAIN TOWARDS THE VERY BOTTOM THERE IS A SMALL PEICE OF THE SCREEN MISSING. ITS ABOUT A 1/4 INCH WIDE AND ABOUT A 1 INCH LONG. ITS ONLY ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE TV AND ONLY NEAR THE TOP AND THE BOTTOM. PLEASE PLEASE GO CHECK AND SEE IF YOUR SET HAS THE SAME THING......I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL CAUSE NOW IM FREAKING OUT......***NOTE*** THE TV HAS TO BE TURNED OFF, AND YOU HAVE TO LOOK VERY CLOSELY.

LMAO! It's obviously disastrous and must be returned if the TV has to be off and you have to look very closely...
post #374 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:

LMAO! It's obviously disastrous and must be returned if the TV has to be off and you have to look very closely...

its also noticable when the tv is on. I called samsung and they went and opened a new one for me and said that there is no gap at all. The screen behind the glass was placed in wrong. they told me to return it. I can actually see into the tv's circuitries from the gap. I also just got back from sears and looked at one and there was no gap... Just my freakin luck !!! now i have to lug this f-ing tv back and exchange it.....

Jon<<<<<< Not Happy
post #375 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:

WTF??? Missing pieces of screen? What do you mean? Like broken off corners of the PDP? Is this a joke?
Next time dust the TV with a soft piece of cloth, Samsung includes one with the TV. Never wrap it around a hammer and dust that way, just hold it in your hand.
post #376 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM

looking at buying this set from BB ... do you think it's worth it to purchase the 3 or 4 year extended warranty ... would like piece of mind but the 4 year deal is like 700 bucks.
post #377 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:

its also noticable when the tv is on. I called samsung and they went and opened a new one for me and said that there is no gap at all. The screen behind the glass was placed in wrong. they told me to return it. I can actually see into the tv's circuitries from the gap. I also just got back from sears and looked at one and there was no gap... Just my freakin luck !!! now i have to lug this f-ing tv back and exchange it.....

Jon<<<<<< Not Happy

OK now I understand what the problem was. Sorry to hear this man, I imagine how pissed you are. I have nothing like this, the PDP is installed properly in my pn58. Good luck with the exchange, and I wish you all the best with the new unit.
post #378 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadman50 View Post

The warranty is worth the money, and BB makes it no hassle.

Agree with you, with the 2 year implied free warranty I was talking about, a buyer is facing more risk after 2 years.
I am willing to take that risk. If i get unlucky i will face financial punshment. However I believe I have overwhelmingly much more chances of the TV being fine for 10 years (knocking on wood).

Lets do some calc: 3 year warranty for a 50 incher - $250 average price, 5 year - $400. The years in most cases actually include the original year that the manufacturer covers, so you are paying for 2 and 4 years respectively.

I have bought about 10 TVs that are stil in use (most not at my place any longer - given away), the oldest one is 11 years old. NONE of them ever had issues. So I saved myself a couple of grand not buying extended warranties.
post #379 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cardo View Post

hmmm, anyone else could report issues with IR or burn-in with the Sammy?? what about the Panny?

Samsung specifies lots of anti-burn protections but Panasonic declares just "Pixel Shifting". Which one should I trust??

let me tell you that I'm no LCD fanboy/Burn-in paranoid 'cos in fact I own a plasma...but I thought the anti-burn technology had improved in order to eliminate these issues in today's panels...

IR should NOT exist with 20 minutes of static video right? so the anti-burn stuff isn't that effective?

I am interested in the same question. Is anyone playing video games moderately (or more) on this these sets and if so have you had any IR problems?
post #380 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM

i have only had my PN50A550 since Monday, and have not done any gaming on it, but i have been in the menu screen for long periods of time and caught my wife watching something on Oxygen Tuesday (with their logo in the bottom corner for the whole movie) and *knock on wood have not seen the slightest trace of IR.
However, i did noticed some heavy IR on the floor model in BB. Its no secret that as long as you use common sense with these plasmas (especially those with IR protection) you will be fine. I'm sure BB had the Dynamic and contrast turned way up and could careless about the longevity or best maintenance for their floor model. All i know is that if this model had issues, i would have seen it by now.
post #381 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post

i have only had my PN50A550 since Monday, and have not done any gaming on it, but i have been in the menu screen for long periods of time and caught my wife watching something on Oxygen Tuesday (with their logo in the bottom corner for the whole movie) and *knock on wood have not seen the slightest trace of IR.
However, i did noticed some heavy IR on the floor model in BB. Its no secret that as long as you use common sense with these plasmas (especially those with IR protection) you will be fine. I'm sure BB had the Dynamic and contrast turned way up and could careless about the longevity or best maintenance for their floor model. All i know is that if this model had issues, i would have seen it by now.

Thanks for the response! Anyone else have any good/bad experiences with this set and IR? Especially with video games?
post #382 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmonk View Post

Thanks for the response! Anyone else have any good/bad experiences with this set and IR? Especially with video games?

ya, i'm just about to purchase this set but want to make sure i'm making the right decision. so far the only con i have heard of is that it doesn't support 24 fps although i have no idea what that means.
post #383 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmonk View Post

I have watched a 2 hour long movie with black bars on top and bottom, TV was set to "Movie" mode. Then right after, i walked up to within 2 feet of my 58 incher, went into the menu, chose the image retention submenu, and selected "all white" from there.
On the completely white screen, I saw no traces of the movie's black bars.
I have done same experiment with ESPNHD, and none of their logos retain.
I have not tried this in the "Dynamic" or "Game" picture mode, and it is qute possible those two modes would produce some burn in - they are just too bright.

I suspect many cases of burn in are results of "afterimage" human eye effect, and other visual illusions caused by our eyes/brain interaction.
One example is the below well known and famous illusions.

there are no gray areas at the intersections of white lines:

this pic is all black&white, all circles are white:

edit: P.S. this was intended to be a joke
LL
LL
post #384 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steuny1 View Post

so far the only con i have heard of is that it doesn't support 24 fps although i have no idea what that means.

OK, can you back this by a quote or something? There is a "FILM" mode in these TVs - how well it works i do not know, so if you have hard info that 24p is NOT supported please share your source.
post #385 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM

This is what the Samsung has (Film mode). It's not true 24fp but it's close enough:

2:3 pull-down detection
Also (and less accurately) called 3:2 pull-down; digital technology developed by Faroudja to accurately convert and display content originally on celluloid film, which runs at 24 frames per second (fps)
post #386 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:

This is what the Samsung has (Film mode). It's not true 24fp but it's close enough:

2:3 pull-down detection
Also (and less accurately) called 3:2 pull-down; digital technology developed by Faroudja to accurately convert and display content originally on celluloid film, which runs at 24 frames per second (fps)

is this a big deal? btw, on my LNT5271F samsung lcd when in film mode there was a problem called "mini blinds" ... at the bottom of the screen there was horizontal lines from left to right. is this a problem on this set?
post #387 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:

is this a big deal? btw, on my LNT5271F samsung lcd when in film mode there was a problem called "mini blinds" ... at the bottom of the screen there was horizontal lines from left to right. is this a problem on this set?

We really need to test it on our sets. I'll test mine out tonight.
post #388 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:

We really need to test it on our sets. I'll test mine out tonight.

thanks
post #389 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:

The LNT5271F is a 120hz TV...therefore it does 5:5 pulldown (5x24=120). Not really comparable to 2:3....
post #390 of 5668 Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 PM

From the CNET review:

the set had no trouble engaging film mode's 2:3 pull-down detection.

TEST RESULT SCORE

480i 2:3 pull-down, 24fps Pass Good
1080i video resolution Pass Good
1080i film resolution Pass Good
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page