Samsung PN50A550 / PN58A550 Owners Thread - Page 189 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5641 of 5668 Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Newbie
 
dconline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just replaced the main board on my PN50A550. TV starts up and works like new. No more screeching green screen and power cycles. Board part number is BN94-01658B, Sumsung factory refurb dated March 2013 from Partstore.com @ $180.00. Price is rising due to supply but it was completely worth it to save this excellent TV.

As a long time lurker I wanted to say thank you to AVS and all of the community. Without this thread I would have ended up spending at least $800 more on a new plasma.
dconline is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5642 of 5668 Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 PM
awp
Member
 
awp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it's been a LONG time since I frequented this thread, but here I am. Interesting reading all the posts about the power board issues. Judging by the dates, I guess I'm lucky mine has lasted this long. But unlike other posts, my PN50A550 never had any screeching, strange colored screens and power cycles. In fact, I have been quite pleased with the unit overall. Never had any issues with colors....the picture always looked brilliant.

....until tonight.

My wife and I were just watching TV and all the sudden it went off. No pops, power surges or anything like that. It just turned off. I thought our dog had stepped on the power button. Then I looked and the red light on the TV was not on like it always has been on standby. Unplugged it. Tried other power strips, outlets, etc. Nothing!!!! Not even the red light.

So my question to anyone still following this thread is whether this is the same issue as everyone else has been having with the board? Or something different? Just find it strange reading all these other things going on with power cycles, screeching sounds and colors when I never had any of that. It just suddenly died.

I've never touched a TV for repair purposes in my life. I guess it sounds like replacing the board isn't that hard. But could there be something else wrong? Trying to decide whether to have a technician come out, which I'm sure would be in the $100-$120 range just for the visit, or order a new board. Or if it's just a hunk of junk now.

Thoughts??!?!??
awp is offline  
post #5643 of 5668 Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Member
 
BMWguy206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post

Well, it's been a LONG time since I frequented this thread, but here I am. Interesting reading all the posts about the power board issues. Judging by the dates, I guess I'm lucky mine has lasted this long. But unlike other posts, my PN50A550 never had any screeching, strange colored screens and power cycles. In fact, I have been quite pleased with the unit overall. Never had any issues with colors....the picture always looked brilliant.

....until tonight.

My wife and I were just watching TV and all the sudden it went off. No pops, power surges or anything like that. It just turned off. I thought our dog had stepped on the power button. Then I looked and the red light on the TV was not on like it always has been on standby. Unplugged it. Tried other power strips, outlets, etc. Nothing!!!! Not even the red light.

So my question to anyone still following this thread is whether this is the same issue as everyone else has been having with the board? Or something different? Just find it strange reading all these other things going on with power cycles, screeching sounds and colors when I never had any of that. It just suddenly died.

I've never touched a TV for repair purposes in my life. I guess it sounds like replacing the board isn't that hard. But could there be something else wrong? Trying to decide whether to have a technician come out, which I'm sure would be in the $100-$120 range just for the visit, or order a new board. Or if it's just a hunk of junk now.

Thoughts??!?!??

Hard to say. So it does not turn on at all and no sound? Could be a faulty power supply unit.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming
BIC Acoustech Home Theater System
Salamander Synergy A/V Cabinet

BMWguy206 is offline  
post #5644 of 5668 Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
awp
Member
 
awp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post

Hard to say. So it does not turn on at all and no sound? Could be a faulty power supply unit.

Yes, it does not turn on at all. No sound. No picture. And no red standby light.
awp is offline  
post #5645 of 5668 Old 01-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Newbie
 
Diamondsleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I had no clue what was going on with my PN50A550 so I took it into a Samsung certified service center.  It was doing what everybody else has described. Cycling on and off with varying scrambled screens and screeching noises.  After doing this anywhere from 3-5 times it would start working fine.  As long as its warmed up I can turn it off and it will power back up normally. 

 

The TV Tech diagnosed it as the main board being the problem.  I didn't find this site until I went to start looking for a main board since he said he couldn't get one for 3 weeks.  3 Weeks?  I just ordered one from PartsStore. com for around  $200.  The total estimate from the service center was going to be around $230 which is reasonable. I just don't want to wait 3 weeks or pay any extra labor for them to install it since it does not sound like too big a deal to install it myself.   It cost me $35 to have the TV guy diagnose it but it was worth it not having ever worked on TV's.   I just told him to put it back together.  Due to this awesome thread sounds like the problem will be solved as soon as I get my new main board in about a week.  Will follow up with the results.

Diamondsleeper is offline  
post #5646 of 5668 Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Newbie
 
dconline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck with your TV. The main board is easy to replace, all you need is a #2 Phillips for the rear cover/board screws and a small flat screwdriver for the terminal retention clips. it does help to have a second person when removing the back cover.

I noticed that the failed board from my TV was severely warped...likely the cause of the failure.
dconline is offline  
post #5647 of 5668 Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Newbie
 
Diamondsleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsleeper View Post
 

I had no clue what was going on with my PN50A550 so I took it into a Samsung certified service center.  It was doing what everybody else has described. Cycling on and off with varying scrambled screens and screeching noises.  After doing this anywhere from 3-5 times it would start working fine.  As long as its warmed up I can turn it off and it will power back up normally. 

 

The TV Tech diagnosed it as the main board being the problem.  I didn't find this site until I went to start looking for a main board since he said he couldn't get one for 3 weeks.  3 Weeks?  I just ordered one from PartsStore. com for around  $200.  The total estimate from the service center was going to be around $230 which is reasonable. I just don't want to wait 3 weeks or pay any extra labor for them to install it since it does not sound like too big a deal to install it myself.   It cost me $35 to have the TV guy diagnose it but it was worth it not having ever worked on TV's.   I just told him to put it back together.  Due to this awesome thread sounds like the problem will be solved as soon as I get my new main board in about a week.  Will follow up with the results.


Success!  At least for the time being,  I put the board in the oven at 400F for 8 min. The TV started up normally and is working perfectly. I still have the new main board on the way because I don't know how long this is going to last and these boards are apparently getting harder to find. . I had never done this to a board before and I did learn something else that is pretty obvious hindsight being 20/20. Experience is the best teacher and I will share this stupid little thing I did.  I didn't want to have anything touching the underside of the board when I did the oven thing so I had it flipped over underside up.  Bad idea because gravity works.  Once the solder reached melting point it released the S video connector and the optical sound connector and they fell off the board.  No worries though. I just repeated the process with the board right side up and carefully re-installed them along with re-seating a couple other components that had become slightly unseated.  Just passing along what should be obvious but was not immediately obvious to me.  Thanks again to all who are responsible for all the info in this thread. 

Diamondsleeper is offline  
post #5648 of 5668 Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Member
 
BMWguy206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsleeper View Post


Success!  At least for the time being,  I put the board in the oven at 400F for 8 min. The TV started up normally and is working perfectly. I still have the new main board on the way because I don't know how long this is going to last and these boards are apparently getting harder to find. . I had never done this to a board before and I did learn something else that is pretty obvious hindsight being 20/20. Experience is the best teacher and I will share this stupid little thing I did.  I didn't want to have anything touching the underside of the board when I did the oven thing so I had it flipped over underside up.  Bad idea because gravity works.  Once the solder reached melting point it released the S video connector and the optical sound connector and they fell off the board.  No worries though. I just repeated the process with the board right side up and carefully re-installed them along with re-seating a couple other components that had become slightly unseated.  Just passing along what should be obvious but was not immediately obvious to me.  Thanks again to all who are responsible for all the info in this thread. 

Glad you figured out the problem. I tried the reflow method but that only worked for a few days on my 58in TV.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming
BIC Acoustech Home Theater System
Salamander Synergy A/V Cabinet

BMWguy206 is offline  
post #5649 of 5668 Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Newbie
 
Diamondsleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsfn View Post

Has anybody seen the following? This is a new problem I'm having where, when watching TV it will occasionally go blank for about 1 second and then come back on. When it comes on the HDMI1 (or whatever is the current input) flashes up in the left corner. It seems like it may be trying to automatically switch inputs but then comes back to the only one that is plugged in.

I recently had my HDMI PCB in my receiver replaced and this started happening a day or so after I got the receiver back. The cable runs through the receiver and then to the TV.

Thanks

I had this.  I've seen it with two different scenario's both having to do with the HDMI input.  After I got a new BluRay player and was using the HDMI input not going through an audio receiver.  I would have this happen repeatedly but at varying intervals seemingly changing depending on what DVD was being watched. This never showed itself on my old player.  I tried a higher quality HDMI cable and it seemed to solve the problem for this new BluRay player. The other although not as often was with nothing else connected to the TV except the HDMI cable running from the Cable TV box straight to the TV.   The only solution for me for this is to use the Component inputs instead of the HDMI input.  It seems to me like a time out function of the TV that when there is an interruption or pause to the signal stream for some reason it goes black while it searches for a valid signal. I don't understand what triggers this though.  Is there an actual interruption or does the TV just think there is?

Diamondsleeper is offline  
post #5650 of 5668 Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Newbie
 
Diamondsleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsleeper View Post
 


Success!  At least for the time being,  I put the board in the oven at 400F for 8 min. The TV started up normally and is working perfectly. I still have the new main board on the way because I don't know how long this is going to last and these boards are apparently getting harder to find. . I had never done this to a board before and I did learn something else that is pretty obvious hindsight being 20/20. Experience is the best teacher and I will share this stupid little thing I did.  I didn't want to have anything touching the underside of the board when I did the oven thing so I had it flipped over underside up.  Bad idea because gravity works.  Once the solder reached melting point it released the S video connector and the optical sound connector and they fell off the board.  No worries though. I just repeated the process with the board right side up and carefully re-installed them along with re-seating a couple other components that had become slightly unseated.  Just passing along what should be obvious but was not immediately obvious to me.  Thanks again to all who are responsible for all the info in this thread. 

 

Follow Up :eek:.  Sorry this is so long but Its necessary to be able to explain where I am on this thing and what happened.

 

Everything has been good with no issues for 3 days after doing the reflow in the oven on the main board. I have been waiting for a new board to arrive as some of you said the reflow only lasted a few days to a week before it crapped out again. Anyway I wanted to go ahead and configure my cable box, dvd player and AV receiver plugs back to where I had them since everything was working. Long story short when I started disturbing and pushing component plugs in etc. the board flexed. I should have backed it up with something. I heard a little creek / little crack sound. After finishing plugging in the DVD player, Cable Box , and AV Receiver I switched the power on. What happened next? One of the pins on the 24 pin plug shorted out to the one next to it and destroyed those two points. 

 

I Got some smoke lost the picture and the TV power started cycling on and off quickly. I killed the power strip as quickly as I could but the damage was done. What is really driving me nuts is that the new board I have been waiting for arrived within 2 hrs of this happening. I wasn't expecting it for several days. My concern now was, what other damage was possibly done because of the short on the main board? I checked everything out visually and checked the continuity of all the fuses I could find. Everything looked good.

 

I was under the impression the new board I now received from the PartsStore.com was going to be new. It is not. It is either used or refurbished. I can tell due to small amounts of dust and condition of stickers etc. I plugged the "new " board in but did not plug any other components into the TV. I held my breath. As soon as I applied power to the TV the TV switched on but there was nothing displayed on the screen and no sound. I could tell the screen was actually powering up because in dim light I can see the glow and the little bit of pinkish blotch it has had. No smoke or anything it just does nothing. Also, with no change to the screen and with no sounds the TV cycles power at pretty much the same interval it did when I originally had the scrambled screen and screeching sounds. The other thing is that the TV does not respond to any commands to turn it off with either with the remote or the front panel switch. It always just switches on as soon as its plugged in.

 

The PartsStore.com said they would take the board back within 30 days when I had them on the phone ordering it without me even asking about the return policy. This if for some reason it didn't work or I didn't end up needing it which kind of struck me as odd at the time because generally its hard to return anything that is electronic in nature. This makes me think there is a good possibility they knew there was a chance it might not be a good one. Maybe they just sent me a bad board?  I've had bad parts from stock before when working on aircraft. Black boxes straight out of overhaul that have been dead on arrival so I know this is a possibility but the fricking short I had has me thinking the whole TV is junk now and it very well may be, I just don't know. I am not a TV guy and don't know how fragile they are electronically.

 

Questions: 

Do you think its worth having the PartsStore.com exchange for another used/refurb board and try it again or should I just get my $200 back?

Is it a pretty sure thing I fried something else on one of the other boards because of the short on the main board?

 

Thanks guys in advance for any insight into this.

Diamondsleeper is offline  
post #5651 of 5668 Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
coyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post

Well, it's been a LONG time since I frequented this thread, but here I am. Interesting reading all the posts about the power board issues. Judging by the dates, I guess I'm lucky mine has lasted this long. But unlike other posts, my PN50A550 never had any screeching, strange colored screens and power cycles. In fact, I have been quite pleased with the unit overall. Never had any issues with colors....the picture always looked brilliant.

....until tonight.

My wife and I were just watching TV and all the sudden it went off. No pops, power surges or anything like that. It just turned off. I thought our dog had stepped on the power button. Then I looked and the red light on the TV was not on like it always has been on standby. Unplugged it. Tried other power strips, outlets, etc. Nothing!!!! Not even the red light.

So my question to anyone still following this thread is whether this is the same issue as everyone else has been having with the board? Or something different? Just find it strange reading all these other things going on with power cycles, screeching sounds and colors when I never had any of that. It just suddenly died.

I've never touched a TV for repair purposes in my life. I guess it sounds like replacing the board isn't that hard. But could there be something else wrong? Trying to decide whether to have a technician come out, which I'm sure would be in the $100-$120 range just for the visit, or order a new board. Or if it's just a hunk of junk now.

Thoughts??!?!??

Hi, new here. Owned my PN50A550 since new in 2008 and had the exact same problem. Powered off on its own and no red light. I took the tv to a local repair shop. I paid way too much for him to 'replace' the power board ($200). It lasted 40-45 days before it happened again. His 'warranty' was 30 days so I was out of luck. I thought I'd look into it myself to see if there were any obvious issues. The power board looked either refurbished or was simply repaired. It is easy to take the power board out--just remove the screws on the back cover, take off the cover, remove a few screws holding the power board on and disconnect the connections to the board from the other boards. I replaced the first fuse (nearest the power supply) 10amp 125v quick blow fuse (Radio Shack). It worked for all of 10 minutes before it flickered on and off and then turned off. 

 

The red power light stays on and when I try to turn it on, I hear some relays click on and off quickly. I haven't done anything else with it since. My feeling is I would probably need to replace the power supply board but I'm not certain that would solve it. It could also possibly be the x and/or y boards (one or both could be malfunctioning and causing the power board to be overworked) or the main board. I still haven't pitched the tv yet as I may get the urge to fix it and I hate being a throw away consumer, but parts for this tv are getting very scarce and I hate to look at replacing a lot of boards in the tv. Sorry I can't give you the certain answer, but I thought I should share with you my (what seems to be at least) a similar situation to yours.

coyne is offline  
post #5652 of 5668 Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Newbie
 
DJDUPRE2301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a set (Samsung PN50A550s1fxa) that is doing the restarting cycle with the green screens and screeching sounds. I want to reflow the main board but dont want to melt anything. Did you cover yours or put it in or on anything special. Thanks for your help in advance.

DJDUPRE2301 is offline  
post #5653 of 5668 Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Newbie
 
Diamondsleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hindsight being 20/20 I would preheat to 400F and let it stabilize for 10-15 min.  I would make 4 little wooden stand off blocks or screw little .5" leg dowels possibly on each corner to support the board right side up (Connectors Up) to keep the solder joints from touching anything. I would then put it on a cookie sheet or similar. I don't see a need to cover it with anything.  After being in the oven at 400F for 8 min I would turn off the heat, open the oven door and let it cool off without touching the board until the solder has had a chance to re-solidify. 10 minutes should do it.. Thats just how I would do it next time. Hope that helps. 

Diamondsleeper is offline  
post #5654 of 5668 Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Newbie
 
DJDUPRE2301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to update my progress, I put the board in the oven as indicated and......Problem solved!!!!! It powers on just like the day it was purchased! Anyways, sorry for all the excitement. lol. If it does revert to the same problematic restarting, I will update the forum. Thanks for your help.
DJDUPRE2301 is offline  
post #5655 of 5668 Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Newbie
 
Diamondsleeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsleeper View Post
 

 

Follow Up :eek:.  Sorry this is so long but Its necessary to be able to explain where I am on this thing and what happened.

 

Everything has been good with no issues for 3 days after doing the reflow in the oven on the main board. I have been waiting for a new board to arrive as some of you said the reflow only lasted a few days to a week before it crapped out again. Anyway I wanted to go ahead and configure my cable box, dvd player and AV receiver plugs back to where I had them since everything was working. Long story short when I started disturbing and pushing component plugs in etc. the board flexed. I should have backed it up with something. I heard a little creek / little crack sound. After finishing plugging in the DVD player, Cable Box , and AV Receiver I switched the power on. What happened next? One of the pins on the 24 pin plug shorted out to the one next to it and destroyed those two points. 

 

I Got some smoke lost the picture and the TV power started cycling on and off quickly. I killed the power strip as quickly as I could but the damage was done. What is really driving me nuts is that the new board I have been waiting for arrived within 2 hrs of this happening. I wasn't expecting it for several days. My concern now was, what other damage was possibly done because of the short on the main board? I checked everything out visually and checked the continuity of all the fuses I could find. Everything looked good.

 

I was under the impression the new board I now received from the PartsStore.com was going to be new. It is not. It is either used or refurbished. I can tell due to small amounts of dust and condition of stickers etc. I plugged the "new " board in but did not plug any other components into the TV. I held my breath. As soon as I applied power to the TV the TV switched on but there was nothing displayed on the screen and no sound. I could tell the screen was actually powering up because in dim light I can see the glow and the little bit of pinkish blotch it has had. No smoke or anything it just does nothing. Also, with no change to the screen and with no sounds the TV cycles power at pretty much the same interval it did when I originally had the scrambled screen and screeching sounds. The other thing is that the TV does not respond to any commands to turn it off with either with the remote or the front panel switch. It always just switches on as soon as its plugged in.

 

The PartsStore.com said they would take the board back within 30 days when I had them on the phone ordering it without me even asking about the return policy. This if for some reason it didn't work or I didn't end up needing it which kind of struck me as odd at the time because generally its hard to return anything that is electronic in nature. This makes me think there is a good possibility they knew there was a chance it might not be a good one. Maybe they just sent me a bad board?  I've had bad parts from stock before when working on aircraft. Black boxes straight out of overhaul that have been dead on arrival so I know this is a possibility but the fricking short I had has me thinking the whole TV is junk now and it very well may be, I just don't know. I am not a TV guy and don't know how fragile they are electronically.

 

Questions: 

Do you think its worth having the PartsStore.com exchange for another used/refurb board and try it again or should I just get my $200 back?

Is it a pretty sure thing I fried something else on one of the other boards because of the short on the main board?

 

Thanks guys in advance for any insight into this.


As I said above I did the oven reflow and it worked up till the point I disturbed the board by plugging everything back into it they way it was before I had a problem, causing the board to flex. That's when that one fried itself. One of the solder joints at one of the ribbon cables shorted out and burned the foil on the board and ruined it.  The replacement board I got from The PartsStore.com didn't work.  Power just cycled with no sound or picture at all. I wasn't sure if frying the previous board caused damage somewhere else in the TV or not but they honored their 30 day replacement policy and took it back.  After I was sure the $200 got credited back to my card I went ahead and ordered another one.  I just installed it yesterday and it works perfectly. They say these boards are new but if you look at them you can tell they are not but I don't care as long as they work. You can tell they are not new if you have every compared new to used. Stickers etc. are discolored / aged and there is dust in little nooks and crannies.  This one had a little solder flux on one of the solder joints on the back so I could tell they had done work in that spot.  So  it turns out third time was a charm for me. Re-flow, One board DOA and the third try has everything up and running. It still has a beautiful picture so all the hassle was worth it.

Diamondsleeper is offline  
post #5656 of 5668 Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Member
 
seattlerichardso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I owned this TV for just over a year and the warranty when all my issues started (see my posts back in fall 2011 in this thread) I had it diagnosed and bought a new power board (BN44-00222A, Rev.1.1) then after I bought it that didn't do the trick and I was told it was the panel itself (great). mad.gif So I have all the parts for this TV ( I parted it all out) and went to sell them on ebay but never got around to it, except for the remote. Anyway I have a brand new power board (never used), and everything else parted out on this TV if anyone is interested for cheap. Just PM me.
seattlerichardso is offline  
post #5657 of 5668 Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Newbie
 
DJDUPRE2301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you reflow the main board in the oven more than once. I did a reflow on Pn50-a550 but it only lasted 2 weeks. Any thoughts?
DJDUPRE2301 is offline  
post #5658 of 5668 Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Member
 
seattlerichardso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerichardso View Post

I owned this TV for just over a year and the warranty when all my issues started (see my posts back in fall 2011 in this thread) I had it diagnosed and bought a new power board (BN44-00222A, Rev.1.1) then after I bought it that didn't do the trick and I was told it was the panel itself (great). mad.gif So I have all the parts for this TV ( I parted it all out) and went to sell them on ebay but never got around to it, except for the remote. Anyway I have a brand new power board (never used), and everything else parted out on this TV if anyone is interested for cheap. Just PM me.

UPDATE: I have sold my Power Board (x2) but have everything else if needed.
seattlerichardso is offline  
post #5659 of 5668 Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
trumpetchad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I have a PN58A550 that I bought in December 2008 and experienced the same loop of death that progressively got worse over the last few months. I replaced the power supply board after messing with replacing the capacitors of the original power supply board (with no change) and the boot problem actually improved immediately for about 2 days, before getting progressively worse once agin. It was to the point we left the TV on (with the Samsung screen saver) all night, just to keep it warm (seemed to help a little) until even that didn't work. Starting 5 days ago, it wouldn't even boot totally, even when warm. It would cycle probably 20-25 times before giving up and showing the screensaver. This, complete with the weird pixelations and LOUD sounds from the TV speakers (which were supposedly turned off....weird...).

But...

Here's another vote for reflowing the board in your kitchen oven (400 degrees F for 8 minutes, letting it naturally cool). Honestly, the whole time I thought it was total voodoo, then I popped it back into the TV, fired up the TV and magically, it fired right up without a hitch. Hasn't done that in months.

So, who knows how long it will last, but it works great -- for now. I'll report back if the symptoms reappear.
trumpetchad is offline  
post #5660 of 5668 Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Newbie
 
medicineman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just got finished reflowing my main board for the SECOND time, and it's working again. The first time only lasted about two months, so I'm going to have to break down and buy the mainboard. I do have a few questions about that, however:

1) What's the difference in the A-E revisions of BN94-01658? I've found a place in Portugal (yikes!) that has all FIVE in stock. Their prices are cheaper, even after the Euros to USD conversion and shipping costs. The original part is labeled as the "A" version. The guy from Portugal is wanting me to buy the "A" model there, but it's also the more expensive of the five. Would the last version ("E) be any better?

2) When I took the board out, earlier, I noticed it had two additional PN's on it - BN97-02037_ and BN42-00975_ (in addition to BN94-01658).. What little I've checked. so far, indicates that Samsung changed(s) part numbers pretty often. Is this case here?

3) The only place. in the US, that has the part in stock, is ecompassparts. They have some pretty horrid reviews, online. Anyone here dealt with them? Your experience?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
medicineman360 is offline  
post #5661 of 5668 Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Newbie
 
trumpetchad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if I can put the BN94-01658 board in a PN58A550? Seems like most online dealers have that part in stock, and nobody has the BN94-01660 part that I need. I didn't know if the two parts might be compatible.
trumpetchad is offline  
post #5662 of 5668 Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Newbie
 
tadtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same click of death but it still eventually turns in. PN58A550- What capacitors do I change on the power supply board if none look bad? I tired calling Samsung to see what were the common caps in that settlement but of course they were USELESS! How do I check the voltages on the power supply board? I see a Va and Vs test point and a sticker with some voltages listed. Is that AC volts? And what voltage numbers am I looking for? Is it one test lead to Va and one to chassis ground? Not sure and didn't want to guess. I've successfully replaced caps on my Thermador oven before but didn't do any real testing first. Thanks. Is there one manufacturer type of caps that went bad? I'll make a simple how to with photos if it's a common few caps.
tadtv is offline  
post #5663 of 5668 Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread who contributed their experiences regarding the cold start issue. My PN58A550 started cycling on and off, showing green static, and making a screeching noise that scared the dog, at the beginning of the year. I thought it was the cable box at first and switched that out but didn't work. I'm moving at the end of the year and decided we would just get rid of it when we move and get a new TV for the new place. But last week, the warm up time went from 5 minutes to waiting 15 minutes for it to work. I googled the issue and stumbled upon this thread.

I am a 34 year old woman with absolutely no experience in anything electronic, but everyone made it sound so easy to fix. So I went on eBay and bought a used main board, BN94-01660B BN97-02039B BN41-00975C, for $110. Popped off the back cover and replaced the board. It worked! Now I can watch The Real Housewives of New Jersey without missing the first 15 minutes.

Thanks to everyone, especially BMWguy206, for the correct part number and instructions. I actually bought the part for the PN50A550 but realized my mistake before shipment occurred, and the eBay seller was kind enough to switch it and send me the correct one. I think my dad was prouder of this moment than the day that I graduated from medical school and became a doctor!
CKL7901 is offline  
post #5664 of 5668 Old 08-04-2014, 04:11 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member
 
pbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,361
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That's a great post/story! I've been pretty lucky so far with my 58,but glad to see if it does show this issue the fix isn't difficult. Still love the set after calibrating it again a week ago, and think it can still make a great second set for my game room when I move into a new house!
pbc is offline  
post #5665 of 5668 Old 08-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Member
 
antman006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
Well, it's been a LONG time since I frequented this thread, but here I am. Interesting reading all the posts about the power board issues. Judging by the dates, I guess I'm lucky mine has lasted this long. But unlike other posts, my PN50A550 never had any screeching, strange colored screens and power cycles. In fact, I have been quite pleased with the unit overall. Never had any issues with colors....the picture always looked brilliant.

....until tonight.

My wife and I were just watching TV and all the sudden it went off. No pops, power surges or anything like that. It just turned off. I thought our dog had stepped on the power button. Then I looked and the red light on the TV was not on like it always has been on standby. Unplugged it. Tried other power strips, outlets, etc. Nothing!!!! Not even the red light.

So my question to anyone still following this thread is whether this is the same issue as everyone else has been having with the board? Or something different? Just find it strange reading all these other things going on with power cycles, screeching sounds and colors when I never had any of that. It just suddenly died.

I've never touched a TV for repair purposes in my life. I guess it sounds like replacing the board isn't that hard. But could there be something else wrong? Trying to decide whether to have a technician come out, which I'm sure would be in the $100-$120 range just for the visit, or order a new board. Or if it's just a hunk of junk now.

Thoughts??!?!??

This just happened to me a couple weeks ago. Bought a new Vizio but still have the sammy in the garage. Wondering what to do with it.
antman006 is offline  
post #5666 of 5668 Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Newbie
 
tadtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Put in new thermistor

Have a 58A550 that would not turn on. No red LED or anything. This happened after a few weeks of the dreaded clicking relay to turn on. It would come on but after many attempts until one night just dead. I found on the power supply board that one of the two green thermistors was cracked and it did not have continuity like the one next to it. The thermistor is a thin disk shape item the size of a nickel or so sitting on top of metal posts next to two white rectangle boxes(relays). It is flat green color and dry looking- not shiny like the capacitors near by.
I used Digikey since their shipping was less. But Mouser has it too. Mouser Part #: 871-B57364S100M or use Manufacturer Part #: B57364S100M at Digikey and search under Manufacturer: EPCOS

Here's what it is. Description: Thermistors - NTC 10 Ohms 7.5amsp 3300k Manufacturer Part #: B57364S100M Manufacturer: EPCOS

Some forums have said that this going out is just a sign of something deeper but so far its been good for a few nights. I'll wait a month before hanging this huge beast back above the fireplace insert I have built for it. Good luck.
tadtv is offline  
post #5667 of 5668 Old 08-30-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mmatheny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickinson, TX
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK - I wanted to do the reflow this weekend, but have a couple questions. Which side goes up? It would seem if you put it capacitor side up, the SMDs on the bottom would fall off and if you put it SMD side up, the components on the capacitor side that don't have their leads bent would fall off.
Also, do you remove the plastic standoffs?

Mike
Houston Comcast
mmatheny is offline  
post #5668 of 5668 Old 09-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Colo232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good evening everyone,

Did anyone here attempted an “oven reflow” and didn’t work the first time? I just finished doing mine and didn’t get the expected results (still doing the on-off cycle).

Thanks & regards
Colo232 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off