AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo232 View Post
The side with the video connectors up.
Thank you - you must be referring to the main board and not the power supply board - what about it?? And do I remove anything off the board (plastic, labels, etc)? And which board fixes the power cycling/screeching - power supply board or main board?? Thank you again!

Mike
Houston Comcast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5687 Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post
Thank you - you must be referring to the main board and not the power supply board - what about it?? And do I remove anything off the board (plastic, labels, etc)? And which board fixes the power cycling/screeching - power supply board or main board?? Thank you again!
Apparently no one removed anything from the board. Anyway, I went ahead and did the “reload” twice without any luck, hope it works for you. Good luck.
post #5673 of 5687 Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You mean reflow? What board did you reflow? I have seen conflicting reports on the web - exact same symptoms, some worked on the main board, some worked on the power supply board! Confusing as to why two different boards with different functions can cause same sypmtoms!

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #5674 of 5687 Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Yes, sorry, I meant reflow, as you can see my English isn't that good (I’m from Argentina). I did it on the main board and didn’t work. I’m traveling to the States in two weeks and will pick up a new board.

Sorry I wasn't much of a help.
post #5675 of 5687 Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I have a 50A550 that has had the clicking, multiple weird colored screens and then the screeching until 2 days ago when it just decided to keep clicking and never came on. Red light on the front just blinks (very very slowly though). Nothing looks fried on the back so maybe it's just a main board replacement that's needed. I don't know

I'm thinking about just selling it for parts or something and picking up a new set w/ warranty from Sam's. Don't need anything super nice so some of their 48"-50" sets around $450 are fine.

I've been offered $50 for the set from someone that buys broken tv's and likely repairs them or sells the parts. Didn't know if anyone has sold theirs or needs parts from mine. I was hoping I could get close to $100 for the set (a lot of parts could be sold!)

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #5676 of 5687 Old 10-30-2014, 04:51 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post
I have a 50A550 that has had the clicking, multiple weird colored screens and then the screeching until 2 days ago when it just decided to keep clicking and never came on. Red light on the front just blinks (very very slowly though). Nothing looks fried on the back so maybe it's just a main board replacement that's needed. I don't know

I'm thinking about just selling it for parts or something and picking up a new set w/ warranty from Sam's. Don't need anything super nice so some of their 48"-50" sets around $450 are fine.

I've been offered $50 for the set from someone that buys broken tv's and likely repairs them or sells the parts. Didn't know if anyone has sold theirs or needs parts from mine. I was hoping I could get close to $100 for the set (a lot of parts could be sold!)
I am currently trying to diagnose an issue that has started for me in the last several months (and getting quickly worse in recent weeks).

Samsung 50A550, Denon AVR-1911, Roku 2xs and Xbox 360 are main components, everything HDMI. When I power things on, independent of order or timing, the TV will now power off and on by itself 3 or 4 times, and and at some point it is likely to screech and show multi-colored static for a few seconds before powering itself off and on again - then it will work. Interestingly, the screeching comes from the TV speakers, despite them being turned all the way down at all times.

Just in the last few days I've also been noticing that the greens are more saturated (too saturated) and that there is a greenish haze in many dark/shadowed portions of videos.

I can find no rhyme or reason and don't know if these are related. If anyone has any tips on what may be causing this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #5677 of 5687 Old 10-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicStatic View Post
I am currently trying to diagnose an issue that has started for me in the last several months (and getting quickly worse in recent weeks).

Samsung 50A550, Denon AVR-1911, Roku 2xs and Xbox 360 are main components, everything HDMI. When I power things on, independent of order or timing, the TV will now power off and on by itself 3 or 4 times, and and at some point it is likely to screech and show multi-colored static for a few seconds before powering itself off and on again - then it will work. Interestingly, the screeching comes from the TV speakers, despite them being turned all the way down at all times.

Just in the last few days I've also been noticing that the greens are more saturated (too saturated) and that there is a greenish haze in many dark/shadowed portions of videos.

I can find no rhyme or reason and don't know if these are related. If anyone has any tips on what may be causing this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I guess I should point out that I've pretty much isolated the issue to the TV by bypassing the receiver and all the stuff it's hooked to. The problem persists, and I'm anticipating that the TV will die in the not-too-distant future.
post #5678 of 5687 Old 11-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicStatic View Post

This is exactly the problem that I and everyone else has had with this set. It begins by turning on and off. Maybe once, then it's fine. Then a few times and it's fine. And later on it begins to turn off and on multiple times PLUS make the horrible screeching noise with the green/blue/whatever static on the screen. After it does though, it's usually fine to watch.

This whole thing started about a year ago, then progressed to the screeching, then just gave out. One day it just shut off as we were watching in bed and never turned back on. After doing some research it seems it's the main board or y-main. Most think it's the main and a lot with this problem have replaced it with good luck. Search for the Samsung a550 main board and you might find some. I know there are people who sell them, but unsure if there are any in stock.

Instead of going the route of fixing it, we just purchased a new set and sold the 50A550 for like $75. Didn't really care at that point. Picked up an Insignia 50" d550 LED for $475 w/ 5yr warranty and tax included.

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #5679 of 5687 Old 11-26-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm in the process of determinig an issue with my PN50A550.

I disconected my home theater setup, moved locations, and put back together.

Problem is when I try to listen to my PN50A550 sound through my receiver (optical out from tv into my HTR) when watching broadcast TV (coax in), I get no sound. THis is how I exclusively watched/listened to the the broadcast TV pre-relocation. Even more odd, I DO get sound through the optical return channel when the tv is set to my PC input or my apple tv. Again, the sound output from the TV to my HTR appears to only be when watching an audio/video source from the coax in.

So there has to be something I'm missing unless the coax audio isn't making it's way to the optical out.

So, any takers?

Thanks.
post #5680 of 5687 Old 11-27-2014, 06:56 AM

Hello fellow PN58A550 owners. Our wonderful plasma mainboard had the same problem and finally gave out the other night. I tried to reflow the board with no success. So, the wife and I decided to buy the PN60F8500 (the best non-UHD TV ever made) but could not find it anywhere in stock. Bummer!!!! So we went bigger with a Samsung LED. But I digress.

So instead of trying to get a used mainboard, I will part out my PN58A550 for a small amount and shipping costs. The power supply for $75 and all other boards for $50. And I will sell any other parts for a very small price (like maybe $5-$10) so they don't end up as landfill. I figured it was better to help other current owners than throw this away.

If you live in SW Ohio, Nothern KY, or SW Indiana area, I also have the plasma screen. It has no scratches on it. We took very good care of it. I will sell that for $100 but local pickup only.

PM if you need a particular part and I will arrange to get it to you.

Thanks

Last edited by drblank1; 11-27-2014 at 06:58 AM. Reason: correct spelling mistakes
post #5681 of 5687 Old 12-07-2014, 11:46 AM

I have a PN50A550S1FXZA and am having the same start up problem as many have, with the machine turning on and off many times with alternating screeching sounds and different colored screens. This just started and only does it sometimes, not that bad, but I assume it will get worse. I know from reading previous post that it is most likely the main board.

What model # is my main board? Do I need to open up my TV to find out if its A, B, E, D etc...?

Do I need to fix this sooner then later? will it damage anything if I wait until it gets unwatchable?

When its time to fix it, I know most places don't carry the main board anymore, so my two options to fix the board are:
1. Reflow the main board at 400F, for 8 minute, let cool.
2. Replace Main Board and there are two options for this:
1. Order one off eBay.
2. Buy repair parts from: shopjimmy dot com "Samsung BN94-01658B Main Board Component Repair Kit for PN50A550S1FXZA" (Is this option good? what would i need to do to replace the parts on the board? Ive never done any soldering, but i do have a soldering gun and could watch some YouTube to learn how..)

In your opinion what would you do?

Thanks everyone for all this knowledge and help on this forum! Im lucky mine lasted this long....
post #5682 of 5687 Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Help

Anyone with an answer to my questions? anyone still post here???
post #5683 of 5687 Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 91
shopjimmy is an OK store, stuff I've gotten from them is good quality and as listed. Only you can determine how much the set is worth to you, if mine died and I could fix it for $100-150 odds are I would. Any more than that and I'd opt for a used Panny plasma off CL.
Lucas C likes this.
post #5684 of 5687 Old 12-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Hello Lucas, I've changed the main board (the letter doesn't matter) on mine and I couldn't be happier. Good luck!
Lucas C likes this.

Last edited by Colo232; 12-10-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5685 of 5687 Old 12-10-2014, 08:10 PM

The only reason he said the word consistent, I believe, is because there will be consistently more BR's that are accurate than HDTV programming, which is true.
post #5686 of 5687 Old 12-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank1 View Post
Hello fellow PN58A550 owners. Our wonderful plasma mainboard had the same problem and finally gave out the other night. I tried to reflow the board with no success. So, the wife and I decided to buy the PN60F8500 (the best non-UHD TV ever made) but could not find it anywhere in stock. Bummer!!!! So we went bigger with a Samsung LED. But I digress.

So instead of trying to get a used mainboard, I will part out my PN58A550 for a small amount and shipping costs. The power supply for $75 and all other boards for $50. And I will sell any other parts for a very small price (like maybe $5-$10) so they don't end up as landfill. I figured it was better to help other current owners than throw this away.

If you live in SW Ohio, Nothern KY, or SW Indiana area, I also have the plasma screen. It has no scratches on it. We took very good care of it. I will sell that for $100 but local pickup only.

PM if you need a particular part and I will arrange to get it to you.

Thanks
Hmmm, no takers? How about $25 for each board (even power supply and plasma screen)? I just don't want to throw it out. PM me if you are interested. I will keep the TV for another week, and then trash what is left.
post #5687 of 5687 Old Today, 04:14 PM

I might be interested. I have a working pn58a550 that I really don't need parts for but would be nice to have just in case. What your best offer to ship to pa?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page