Samsung PN50A550 / PN58A550 Owners Thread - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5701 of 5724 Old 12-19-2015, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, I have never used them, but just ordered a power supply board from Coppelltvrepair.com , for my p58a550, perhaps they may have what you are looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 5724 Old 01-02-2016, 04:39 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 208
So my 58" has just begun exhibiting a buzzing noise from the back of the set. If I tap the set with my knuckles it sometimes stops it then starts up again. Is this a symptom of a failing set at all?

Was planning on buying a new 4K set but decided I would wait a while to see if more sets came out with FALD and HDR and/or if OLED sets made by more manufacturers than LG started to drive the price down. ..of course buying with a dollar that is 40% weaker now won't help!

Just wondering if the buzzing is a common symptom implyingninshouldnbe looking sooner rather than later. Tx

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #5703 of 5724 Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgweinga View Post
No, I have never used them, but just ordered a power supply board from Coppelltvrepair.com , for my p58a550, perhaps they may have what you are looking for?
Thanks for the link. They offer a repair service for the main board. I sent it off to get fixed. I will let everyone know what happens since this seems to be a problem alot of people are having with this TV.

post #5704 of 5724 Old 01-20-2016, 10:25 AM

If anyone else has had the same problem with their Samsung Plasma here's how I fixed it.

My Plasma had been doing the power on and off sequence with the loud screeching for the past few months. I finally decided to send my main board off to get repaired at Coppel TV Repair in Dallas, TX. I send in a request on their site and got an email with shipping instructions. I sent the board off and few days later received a paypal invoice for the completed repair. A few days later my board was shipped back to me good as new and with a one year warranty. Highly recommend these guys. Very easy to work with and fast and inexpensive service. So glad I was able to fix this issue because I love this TV and it still has an amazing picture.
Prmntgen likes this.
post #5705 of 5724 Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My cousin just gave me a PN50A550 because it wasn't working properly. I figured I would take it off his hands and try to figure out if it's able to be fixed.
After reading through the vast majority of this thread, I got the feeling that the mainboard is the culprit, due to the symptoms it's exhibiting.
After plugging the TV in, it would cycle power over and over. After about five minutes of this, it would make a horribly loud screeching sound each time it cycled the power. After about fifteen minutes of this, the TV would start up properly. In the left corner, it would show the current input it was set to and stay like that indefinitely.
At this point, I tried plugging my Chromecast into the HDMI port (I tried all three ports) and this would make the TV go right back into cycling power. After fifteen minutes or so of this, it would stop cycling power, but with the Chromecast plugged in, the screen would just get bright green and fuzzy.
So! Considering the symptoms, I concluded that the main board is the problem. HOWEVER, once I pulled the back plate off to look at the innards, I saw an obviously blown capacitor on the Y-Main board. Could this be the cause of the problems, or would that be something else entirely? I'm trying to figure out what parts I need to order to try and fix this thing, but I'm on a bit of a budget, so I don't want to spend more than I absolutely have to.

tl;dr - Symptoms say main board, but there's a blown capacitor on the Y-main. Which do I need to order/replace? Both?
post #5706 of 5724 Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Replace the obvious bad part, see what you get. You can replace the bad cap with one of the same value but higher voltage rating if that is what you find, higher OK, lower never.
post #5707 of 5724 Old 04-19-2016, 09:25 AM

Something weird happened to Samsung 50" Plasma this morning. Turned on TV and after about 10 minutes I started to smell like something was burning. Like a plastic burning smell. A little while later my TV turned it self off and the red light on the front began to go on and off. It sounded like the TV was trying to turn back on. After about 20-30 seconds of it doing this is turned back on and everything seemed fine. Picture and sound both came back on. I immediately unplugged it after that. Any idea what this was? Happen to anyone else?
post #5708 of 5724 Old 10-08-2016, 11:22 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Out of boredom (just packaged up my Vizio P65 to return to Costco and put my old Sammy 58A550 in its place again), checked out the service menu. So far, 20,306 hours on the set.

Going to recalibrate for fun in the next few days.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #5709 of 5724 Old 10-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hmm.. i love my old 58.. except for the green sparkles I get.. if not for those it would be back on the wall as the primary tv.
post #5710 of 5724 Old 10-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Out of boredom (just packaged up my Vizio P65 to return to Costco and put my old Sammy 58A550 in its place again), checked out the service menu. So far, 20,306 hours on the set.

Going to recalibrate for fun in the next few days.

So I was considering the P65 as a replacement to my 58A650, how come you are returning it? Please tell me that the picture quality was better than my 8 year old Plasma that I'm dying to get rid of.
post #5711 of 5724 Old 10-11-2016, 12:37 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstead View Post
So I was considering the P65 as a replacement to my 58A650, how come you are returning it? Please tell me that the picture quality was better than my 8 year old Plasma that I'm dying to get rid of.
Depends what you are looking for. When viewed directly head on with movies, the P65 has an outstanding picture. Black levels killed the A550, and the set can get significantly brighter. Colors were quite good as well, albeit the A550 also had pretty good color after calibration. The 4K images/videos on Youtube also looked outstanding. That's pretty much where the benefits were.

Once you got a couple feet off center, the color shift was noticeable on the P65, particularly when I had it below my Plasma. But that's an issue with all LCD's. Just much more noticeable when directly compared, when I removed my plasma from the equation you get "used to" the off angle viewing and it becomes less of an issue.

What killed it for me was DSE and color shifts in the panel itself. For sports (hockey, baseball, football, soccer), the DSE was just too much for me to handle. Again, somewhat of an LCD issue as my brother's Sharp Elite LCD also has some DSE, not quite to the extent of the Vizio panel I had. There was also significant color shift about 4-6" in from the left and right sides of the screen which once I saw them I would see it all the time in sports (slightly faded grass vs the middle for instance).

I may try the panel lottery again as the P65 is a hell of a lot of set for what you pay, or just wait to see if Dynamic HDR becomes a feature in next year's sets given people are already saying that the more static HDR-10 doesn't compare to Dolby Vision and that Dynamic HDR will be much better.

As for 4K in general vs 1080p...meh. Had a 4K cable box and returned it as I didn't see any difference, certainly not to justify the extra $10-15 a month for a few channels and limited selection even on those channels.

Like you I was also dying to get rid of my aging plasma and go for a set with better black levels and "4K". While the black levels were making my mouth water, they didn't make up for the other issues I was seeing and I'm not that sure that I can't wait another year if my A550 holds up. That, or I may go with OLED.

Quote:

post #5712 of 5724 Old 10-11-2016, 12:39 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

I am absolutely loathing the thought of putting that 58" monstrously heavy set back up above my fireplace though. That alone may force me to buy a set now!

Quote:

post #5713 of 5724 Old 10-11-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I am absolutely loathing the thought of putting that 58" monstrously heavy set back up above my fireplace though. That alone may force me to buy a set now!

I'm in the same boat, I have no idea what to buy, I would like it to be fast enough for gaming, 65" to 70" (preferably 70) and supporting latest 4K specs I could want in the future.

I have no idea if what I want exists now or if I should be waiting g for next year's model.
post #5714 of 5724 Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Time for a new display :(

My PN50A550 released its smoke tonight. We were sitting on the couch and suddenly heard crackling and the light of sparks coming from behind it, and of course the smell. Needless to say, I'm starting to research a new TV. I got the Sammy when they still cost about $1300, so, a while ago. I picked a plasma because I wanted the better black level, LCD was not doing it for me. If anyone else out there has moved on from their PN50A550 what did you end up going with? I still don't feel very good about LCD these days, but I don't know if i can go to OLED. Any suggestions are appreciated.
post #5715 of 5724 Old 10-13-2016, 03:30 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

The 65B6 OLEDs can be had in the US for about 2700-2800 right now and may come down a bit more in the coming weeks. Black levels and viewing angles can't be beat. Also have better screen uniformity. Also supports HDR10 and Dolby vision.

Other options:

LCDs- note that if you sit more than say 4 feet off centre the Color and black levels and DSE become more prominent on all LCDs.. Having said that:

Vizio P65- best value by a long shot. Full Array Local dimming provides black levels almost on par with OLEDs and great black uniformity. Good Color tracking post calibration. Good motion handling. Doesn't get as bright as the Samsung or Sony LEDs though and covers slightly less of the wide Color gamut. Awesome support from Vizio in terms of firmware upgrades. Biggest con for me was the DSE on my panel and grey uniformity in general was terrible. A few have gone through 2 to 5 panels to try and get one that was decent. Also has both HRD10 and Dolby Vision (DV).

Samsung KS8000 - acceptable black levels, nice pop to the PQ. Great with HDR as it gets very bright. Very good upscaling of poor quality sources. Supposedly better for sports and gaming than the P65. Is an edge lit TV though and as such suffers a bit from blooming and flashlighting. May also have to play the panel lottery if you can't put up with the issues with whichever panel you get. Doesn't support DV.

Sony 65XBR930D (may have model number wrong). Similar comments to KS8000. Black levels not as good. Color may be a bit better, upscaling may be better as well. Doesn't support DV.

Outside of these, the flagships (Samsung ks9800 - if you don't mind curved) and Sony 65ZD9 would be the bees knees for LCDs.both are full array local dimming sets so black levels close to OLEDs and all the bells and whistles with better screen uniformity than their lower tiered brethren. They also don't support DV of that will end up being important or not (unsure).

Www.Rtings.com and CNET are both great resources for reviews and comments.

Quote:

Last edited by pbc; 10-13-2016 at 05:03 AM.
post #5716 of 5724 Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
thanks for that. went with the ks8000 (saw the reviews on rtings and 4k.com before even seeing your reply ).
post #5717 of 5724 Old 12-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My pn58A550 is having the same symptons.
Is there a Canadian place that can repair the mainboard?
post #5718 of 5724 Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM

PN50A55081F Plasma hard time starting up... what to replace?

I have this Samsung PN50A55081F, 50 inch plasma. Recently it might take anywhere from 10 min to 2 hours for it to power on and have a stable picture. Once up, it appears to run just fine and we have left it on for weeks at a time. The wife actually just purchased a low-cost, blackfriday 55 Inch Memorex, it's OK but if this can be easily/cheaply repaired, I'd rather not throw it out. I opened it up and replaced about 6 capacitors a few weeks back but that didn't correct the problem. Actually I was hoping there would be some obvious bad caps there but I didn't find any so I just replaced some of the ones on the power supply board that had matching values. Thought I might have killed it with my not-so-great soldering ability but eventually fired up after a couple hours and ran fine.
I can get a replacement power supply board for $50 but don't want to invest in a part that I'm not sure is the problem. From what I've read elsewhere, might be y sus or x sus or logic board. If the knowledgeable people here tell me it is 75-80% chance it is the power supply board, I'll go ahead and buy the replacement board.
Thanks and forgive me if this is in the wrong area to post my plea.
Ken
post #5719 of 5724 Old 12-17-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuKEN View Post
I have this Samsung PN50A55081F, 50 inch plasma. Recently it might take anywhere from 10 min to 2 hours for it to power on and have a stable picture. Once up, it appears to run just fine and we have left it on for weeks at a time. The wife actually just purchased a low-cost, blackfriday 55 Inch Memorex, it's OK but if this can be easily/cheaply repaired, I'd rather not throw it out. I opened it up and replaced about 6 capacitors a few weeks back but that didn't correct the problem. Actually I was hoping there would be some obvious bad caps there but I didn't find any so I just replaced some of the ones on the power supply board that had matching values. Thought I might have killed it with my not-so-great soldering ability but eventually fired up after a couple hours and ran fine.
I can get a replacement power supply board for $50 but don't want to invest in a part that I'm not sure is the problem. From what I've read elsewhere, might be y sus or x sus or logic board. If the knowledgeable people here tell me it is 75-80% chance it is the power supply board, I'll go ahead and buy the replacement board.
Thanks and forgive me if this is in the wrong area to post my plea.
Ken
Replaced the power supply board with the one I ordered off of eBay. TV has same symptoms so I guess it is something else. Any ideas??
I examined the caps on all the boards and no sign of leakage or swelling! Don't know what to do next.
post #5720 of 5724 Old 01-29-2017, 04:46 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Well mine is certainly starting to bite the bullet. The last week when I turn it on from a cold start, the picture is all pinkish and scrambled, after a few seconds it shuts itself off, turns on, and is fine.

Was hoping this would last me until the 2017 OLED's came out in March or April... how quickly have people experienced the set degrading once this starts to happen?

Quote:

post #5721 of 5724 Old 01-29-2017, 04:47 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
My pn58A550 is having the same symptons.
Is there a Canadian place that can repair the mainboard?
Any luck finding someone?

Quote:

post #5722 of 5724 Old 01-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Any luck finding someone?
No i have not.
Theres a few ebay options but Im not interested in opening the tv to take the board out and mail it or to pay over 300 dollars for a used board which will last for who knows how long.
It will gradually get worse soyou should be fine until you are ready to buy a new set.
Mine now takes a few minutes until its working.
post #5723 of 5724 Old Today, 12:29 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, my PN58A550 is now going through two power cycles before it clears up the picture, so pulled the trigger on a 65" B7 LG OLED.

Was considering whether it is worth it to replace the main board or power board on this set and give it to my parents.

Anyone do this in Canada?

Quote:

post #5724 of 5724 Old Today, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Well, my PN58A550 is now going through two power cycles before it clears up the picture, so pulled the trigger on a 65" B7 LG OLED.

Was considering whether it is worth it to replace the main board or power board on this set and give it to my parents.

Anyone do this in Canada?
Mine was doing the same and I considered getting a used board but paying 300 bucks for one with no warranty of knowing how long it would last so bought a new one as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays