Samsung PN50A550 / PN58A550 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are more pictures from Blue Planet from a Toshiba HD-A35. PN58A550 set at MOVIE mode with factory defaults except that cell level is 10. This is a non calibrated setup. Camera setting ISO is at 100 and set in AV mode. If anybody has some tips or recommendations on camera settings please tell.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming
BIC Acoustech Home Theater System
Salamander Synergy A/V Cabinet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Superman Returns on HD-A35. Same TV and camera settings on previous post. Will post Blu-Ray pics tomorrow night.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming

post #723 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 View Post

Can anyone point me to specific differences between the various 5 series sets (the 550, the 530, and the 510). I have tried to determine any differences on Samsungs site, but their comparision funtion is practically worthless. I assume the 510 is a BB special. It seems to be missing one HDMI and is 200 less. Is that it? What about the 530? How is it different from the 550?

550 is the current 5 series model line up. There's a 4 and 6 series as well. Not sure about the 530 but the 510 sounds like an older model.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming

post #724 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 01:05 AM

hi, AWESOME pictures. i can hardly believe that that is the 550 after what i saw in the shop. are the blacks really that deep?
it looks as though the black is as deep as the black of the frame, which i (in real life) have never seen before. is this really the case?

please try to set your camera to the highest ISO it supports (1600 would be sufficient though).

what color are your walls? white or are they dark and hence non-reflective?
post #725 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

hi, AWESOME pictures. i can hardly believe that that is the 550 after what i saw in the shop. are the blacks really that deep?
it looks as though the black is as deep as the black of the frame, which i (in real life) have never seen before. is this really the case?

please try to set your camera to the highest ISO it supports (1600 would be sufficient though).

what color are your walls? white or are they dark and hence non-reflective?

From about 10ft away the blacks look great. The camera is about 5-6ft away from the TV set and using a wide angle lens. I will try 1600 tomorrow since that is the max ISO. However, I fear that the high ISO setting might make it look grainy.

Walls are white.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming

post #726 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post

550 is the current 5 series model line up. There's a 4 and 6 series as well. Not sure about the 530 but the 510 sounds like an older model.

Thanks for the reply...last year's model was the 5084. This year, Samsung seems to be releasing several versions of each series. If you go to Samsung's website, you will see the 50A530 listed in addition to the 550 under the 5 series sets. I don't see the 510 there, but it is a new arrival at BB. It may be a BB exclusive. Again, I am not sure why Samsung has chosen to release so many iterations of their sets this year, but I'm hoping to discover if there is any real difference between one 5 series set and another. The 530 and the 510 are both newer than the 550, it seems, btw. I assume they have been released as cheaper interations of the 550, but I can't really tell what I'd be losing by choosing one of these over the 550.
post #727 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 AM

it will make it look grainy, but on these pictures there is nothing but black and i am surprised that neither the screen is distinguishable form the frame nor the frame from the wall.
no matter how dark it is in my room (also white walls), on my previous plasma it was always possible to differentiate the three quite easily.
a white wall wouldn't appear that black when the tv is on and the light is being reflected around the room.
post #728 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Huh? I can't say any more than that at this point! I take it at some point you'll tell us how you measured this as you don't own it and didn't calibrate a set somewhere!!

BTW, are you saying that cell light should be on 10 regardless of what level the gamma control is on? I.e., that there isn't some mix of the two that yields the "Best" gamma?

The Gamma curve is progressively increasingly misshaped by setting the Cell Light below 10. That means using 9 causes a little change in the Gamma curve and using the minimum setting causes a huge change in the gamma curve. Trying to use the Gamma control to compensate for a lower Cell Light setting is a waste of time because the Gamma control won't fix the distortion in the Gamma curve caused by the Cell Light control. You get the best picture with Cell Light at the "10" setting and leaving it there all the time. There are other controls that will set the light output (primarily contrast) without messing up the Gamma curve so there's no need to use Call Light at all.

Re. calibration... it all depends on your definition of somewhere... I consider "somewhere" to not mean "here" (where I am right now).

Re. Gamma control... Hmmm... that's tough to answer. You REALLY need instrumentation to get Gamma set PROPERLY. Without measurements, it's a crap shoot. Hight numbers on the Gamma control mean LOWER Gamma numbers. You don't want that AT ALL. So I would recommend never using a setting higher than 0. For most people using Movie mode and reasonable settings for other controls, -1 or -2 would PROBABLY be the best setting but there's NO guarantee abot that because I have no clue how simiar or dissimilar these displays are one-from-another. Every electronic component in the TV has a value tolerance so differences are inevitable - how big the differences are is the question. On top of that, these models respond in unpredictable ways to adjustments in the service menu and user menu... meaning when there's a Gamma control in User and Service, you don't necessarily get the same response from the TV using each one - I have found the best setup requires some adjustment in the Service Menu and some adjustment in the User Menu... if you do it all in 1 place, the gray scale has larger errors than it does if you split some of the adjustments between Service and User.

The service menus in Samsungs are not user friendly so I wouldn't recommend getting in there and experimenting. Some models in the past had SM settings that would hose the TV completely and could not be recovered from without a factory technician and setup tools used in manufacturing. Those seem to be grayed out and not accessible in this generation... but you never know.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #729 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 AM

I'll post this here because I'm not sure where else.

Will Samsung have a PN42A550 or 650? 50" is too big for me and the 42A450 doesn't have 1080p or the wiselink picture viewer. I wish samsung would make the picture viewer and mpeg standard on all there sets.
post #730 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 AM

@Doug: You seem to be hugely knowledgable, so may I ask your opinion on the black level. I don't know whether you read my concerns, but it seemed to me that the 550 without the glossy ultra filterbright just did not produce anything more than grey if there is even mild light.
cnet has placed this tv under the top reference models and says it's the best under 2k, but how is the black level really?
both in light and dark conditions? have you had a chance to compare to any other models (samsung or non-samsung)?

p.s.: how do you access the service menu (would want to check the software versions).
post #731 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

it will make it look grainy, but on these pictures there is nothing but black and i am surprised that neither the screen is distinguishable form the frame nor the frame from the wall.
no matter how dark it is in my room (also white walls), on my previous plasma it was always possible to differentiate the three quite easily.
a white wall wouldn't appear that black when the tv is on and the light is being reflected around the room.

Gotcha. Will take pics tonight at ISO 1600. Recommendations on the F stop shutter speed?

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming

post #732 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 View Post

Can anyone point me to specific differences between the various 5 series sets (the 550, the 530, and the 510). I have tried to determine any differences on Samsungs site, but their comparision funtion is practically worthless. I assume the 510 is a BB special. It seems to be missing one HDMI and is 200 less. Is that it? What about the 530? How is it different from the 550?

Well , the A510 has a Contrast Ratio of 30,000:1, while the A550 has a Dynamic Contrast Ratio 1,000,000:1. Obviously claiming a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 one is a complete joke, but I imagine it will have better contrast than the A510. I am not sure if this is due to missing features on the A510 or what. It might not have FilterBright, I'm not sure.

The A550 has a USB port, while the A510 does not, the A550 has one extra HDMI port, the A510 has a composite port (which is almost obsolete), while the A550 does not.

The A550 is ENERGY STAR Qualified, while the A510 is not.

The only A530 I can find is an LCD.

-Coggs

P.S. those pics, and your setup look great BMWguy (My dad has a souped up BMW 2002 that he bought in 1971, new carbs, wheel flares, front air-damn, etc. all from BMW motorsport in the 70's. Loads of fun to drive)
post #733 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM

I hope this question is not too stupid, but I am new to HiDef / BluRay. I just purchased a 58A550 and watched my first bluray movie last night. I noticed that the screen still had the black bars on the top and bottom just like when I watched a 2.40:1 DVD on my old analog TV. I thought that since this TV was 16x9 it should display the proper aspect ratio and fill the entire screen. Is this normal for BluRay movies?

I am running though a Pioneer Elite 94thx and using the PS3 to play the movie. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere to get full screen for movies?
post #734 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm ordering the 650 from Bestbuy tomorrow and am hoping others on this board have the set. I cant seem to find any info or threads yet. Maybe its that new. I love the red trim on the lcd so im excited for this.
post #735 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post

I'm ordering the 650 from Bestbuy tomorrow and am hoping others on this board have the set. I cant seem to find any info or threads yet. Maybe its that new. I love the red trim on the lcd so im excited for this.

The 650 is the same as the 550 but a 4th HDMI port and that controversial red trim.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #736 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM

2.40:1 is not 16X9. It is up to the directors as to the format they use. I think th 1.85:1 will fill your screen completely.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #737 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM

I ordered this television today through amazon.com

Although I tend to use it primarily for movies and television, I am concerned about the burn in when I do decide I feel like playing my x-box 360.

Also I am using a digital cable box which converts all the channels to 1080i and for standard tvs the box will automatically create the black bars on the sides.

Has anyone here tried gaming on it? Has there been any problems with burn in from that or having black bars on the side(Also most movies will have small black bars on top and bottom too).
post #738 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus98 View Post

I hope this question is not too stupid, but I am new to HiDef / BluRay. I just purchased a 58A550 and watched my first bluray movie last night. I noticed that the screen still had the black bars on the top and bottom just like when I watched a 2.40:1 DVD on my old analog TV. I thought that since this TV was 16x9 it should display the proper aspect ratio and fill the entire screen. Is this normal for BluRay movies?

I am running though a Pioneer Elite 94thx and using the PS3 to play the movie. Is there a setting I am missing somewhere to get full screen for movies?

2.39:1 is wider than 16:9(1.78:1), if the movie was in 16:9 aspect ratio, it would fill the screen. Some movies (not all) try to recreate the theater experience, which is displayed in either 2.39:1, or 1.85:1, and are thus wider than 16:9, so you will see bars above and below the screen.

-Coggs
post #739 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloce View Post

Although I tend to use it primarily for movies and television, I am concerned about the burn in when I do decide I feel like playing my x-box 360.

Also I am using a digital cable box which converts all the channels to 1080i and for standard tvs the box will automatically create the black bars on the sides.

Has anyone here tried gaming on it? Has there been any problems with burn in from that or having black bars on the side(Also most movies will have small black bars on top and bottom too).

Cnet proclaimed the A550 their #1 gaming TV, so put as much stock in that as you want, it's worth something anyway. I imagine that you might get some IR, but that can be rectified, I should hope they wouldn't get burn-in, but I don't own this TV (yet), so I can't be sure.

-Coggs
post #740 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Really? Cnet said that? Thats pretty cool. Okay I am not familiar with plasmas and I'm not certain what IR is. Is that a temporary burn in that goes away? This television has some setting in which it helps wash away things like that, at least I believe I read something like that.

I guess if gaming is alright with it and I do get some IR(I don't know 100% what that means but I have an idea), I guess my biggest issue would probably be the black bars when I'm watching normal channels.
post #741 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

IR is Image Retention, where the image remains on the screen for a period of time. The new plasmas have built-in technology that helps reduce the risk of long-term IR.

Blu Ray: 200
HD DVD: 35
post #742 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Also I ask to mention to anyone who has played their consoles on this display:

There is default picture settings for movies and games. Does the game one really make it look better? I believe someone mentioned it would make the screen even brighter and increase the chances for IR or burn in. Is this correct? If so do you play on movie setting?
post #743 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Really? Cnet said that? Thats pretty cool. Okay I am not familiar with plasmas and I'm not certain what IR is. Is that a temporary burn in that goes away? This television has some setting in which it helps wash away things like that, at least I believe I read something like that.

I guess if gaming is alright with it and I do get some IR(I don't know 100% what that means but I have an idea), I guess my biggest issue would probably be the black bars when I'm watching normal channels.

IR= Image Retention

It will go away, they have a mode where an image of an eraser goes around and cleans it up, but I think it will usually go away with general use as well;

Say you watched a movie with black-bars, then started watching 16:9 tv right after, you might see some residue of the black-bars at first, but they should probably go away on their own eventually. I don't know how long, I imagine sometimes you will get no IR, sometimes you will get some that will go away in 5 min, and some you'll need to use their cleaning feature for, or even just an all black or white screen.

-Coggs
post #744 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Also I ask to mention to anyone who has played their consoles on this display:

There is default picture settings for movies and games. Does the game one really make it look better? I believe someone mentioned it would make the screen even brighter and increase the chances for IR or burn in. Is this correct? If so do you play on movie setting?

I have a Xbox 360 and tonight I'll post pics of COD4. There's only 3 pictures settings... Dynamic, Standard, and Movie. When I use the Xbox I have it on Movie mode.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming

post #745 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I tried COD4 on a quad split screen setup. Works great and no IR.

Now when watching movies with the black bars on top and bottom... there is some slight IR when the tv is off but I don't even see it when the screen is full white, blue, red, or when a picture is up. Goes away when I throw on the break-in DVD.

Samsung PN58A550
Onkyo TX-SR705
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Xbox 360 for gaming

post #746 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Heh, I'm about 5 min too slow on all my posts

I'm watching a movie (Dead Man, directed by Jim Jarmusch) right now, so I have the threads open for 10min or so while I'm reading/posting.
post #747 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM

noticed on bestbuys site that the 650 has a sports mode too. Interesting. Why is the red trim controversial? Cause its the oddest thing to grace a TV? I kinda dig it which is why I am going to get the 650. I can get it for the same price as a 550 so I figured why not.
post #748 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Thanks Coggs and BMWguy for your replies, its been really helpful and I feel much better about my investment. =)
post #749 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

The 650 is the same as the 550 but a 4th HDMI port and that controversial red trim.

There are a couple of other differences.

In the 650 you get an utlra bright filter (hopefully that cuts down on reflection and maybe even improve black levels?)

ACE2 silhouette editor technology compared to ACE silhouette editor technology

Infolink system provides RSS feeds of customizable stock quotes, weather and brief news articles (requires Internet connection, not included; additional fees may apply)

and I think your speaker wattage increases from 10 to 30 W

There are some differences, but not huge differences
post #750 of 5662 Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks to everyone on your replies to my post...and here I mistakenly thought that getting a wide screen TV would eliminate the bars on the top and bottom - ugh.

As for all of the questions regarding game playing - I do it a LOT and have not had any issues with IR and certainly not burn in. I will occasionally play FFXI for 3 hours at a times (this game is LOADED with static images) and I have not noticed any IR at all lasting for more than a few minutes. Also - besides the Dynamic/Standard/Movie modes there is a Game mode that can be used (as well as Cinema/Sports and I believe one other).

Anyway - thanks again. I guess I will just have to suffer through those damn bars...

If anyone has any gaming related questions in regards to this TV feel free to ask.I think it is a wonderful TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page