post #901 of 5666 Old 05-17-2008, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steuny1 View Post

here's some pics and my setup ...

can anyone tell if the left side is 1/8" higher than the right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5666 Old 05-17-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:

can anyone tell if the left side is 1/8" higher than the right?

Yeah, I can.
post #903 of 5666 Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen View Post

Yeah, I can.

really??? or are you just pulling my leg?
post #904 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 12:48 AM

anyone here use any fullhd or rather 1080i source?

i am starting to get a bit worried about this.
post #905 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 AM

seriously considering this set once my credit card goes through, can anyone confirm how long this set will last to justify for the cost. thanks.
post #906 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 01:15 AM

How can I access the service menu for the PN50A550? I want to find out how many hours it has on it. I tried searching the forums but cant seem to locate it? TIA
post #907 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 03:25 AM

Here is a photo I took this evening. I just returned from a business trip out of the country. I'll post the entire setup when I have the speakers and receiver setup. I used the Cnet settings and the Cell light at 8. I'm very pleased with this picture quality! 58"s of pure goodness, ha!

post #908 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 03:52 AM

post #909 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 AM

ok, i'll just post three questions and maybe someone here can answer either

1. have you checked for dead or stuck pixels and if so found any (the built in white screen is perfect for that)
2. is anybody here using a 1080 component source? if so, would you try Just Scan and tell me if it works properly?

thanks
post #910 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:

really??? or are you just pulling my leg?

I really can see that it's tilted. Is it the stand?
post #911 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM

Why is 1080p not listed under "Input Video Formats" on CNET specs?
(480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i are listed)
post #912 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

ok, i'll just post three questions and maybe someone here can answer either

1. have you checked for dead or stuck pixels and if so found any (the built in white screen is perfect for that)
2. is anybody here using a 1080 component source? if so, would you try Just Scan and tell me if it works properly?

thanks

Did the JScreenfix help at all?

I am using a component 1080 source (my SA8300 PVR cable box). If I use "Just Scan", I get a slight black bar on the top and bottom of my screen. However, I keep it on 16:9 at all times when watching HD programming, well, all programming actually. No bars whatsoever. Why are you using "Just Scan"?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #913 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 05:21 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

I have used a 60" Kuro extensively and have had a 50" Samsung for just over 2 weeks. I have measured/calibrated both with a $14,000 meter, $3500 software, and $1700 video signal generator. If the $800 is not an issue, the Kuro panels are superior but have relatively minor issues also documented here. This is unbiased since I do not own and did not pay for either of these TVs and am not an employee of either company (or any company, I'm a sole proprietor).

- virtually no image retention for Kuro panels after the first 50-100 hours of use, significant image retention with the Samsung but it generally isn't noticeable with full-screen moving images.

- Kuro panels are much blacker... MUCH blacker, put the 2 side by side and there's no comparison. The Kuro's "black" is too dark for my meter to read, but I did read 0.009 fL for 1% white. The Samsung panel produces 0.04 fL for 1% white. That means the Kuro panel has less than 1/4 of light output at 1% as the Samsung andthat's probably about right. Side by side the difference is very obvious.

- Dark grays (and dark colors) on the Samsung are loaded with noise, like thousands of gnats flying around in the solid area (this is common with other plasma panels also when producing dark grays and colors). Kuro panels produce smooth, relatively noiseless dark grays and dark colors.

- Kuros have more sophisticated video processing... 16 screen regions are processed independently and in parallel so there is more time to process each region.

- Kuros have no outer glass so the surface facing you is not very durable... the coating can be removed with harsh cleaners. Kuros are not great for places where sticky hands or pet noses or spitting beer or food from excited sports fans is a problem because the less you touch the outer surface of the Kuros the better... that means cleaning them never or very infrequently is the best scenario.

- After calibrating both I can say this without question: It is easy to get the Samsung's primary and secondary colors accurate and out of the box, in Movie mode they are all accurate except Magenta. The Kuros require some massaging to get the primaries and secondaries that accurate - may not be possible without a pro calibration. But, the Samsung's gray scale has more oops-es than the Kuro's and the range of errors in the Samsung's gray scale are larger for about 1/2 the steps in the gray scale. So, out of the box, the Samsung has more accurate primaries and secondaries (Movie mode Warm2 color temp) but the Kuro has a more accurate gray scale out of the box. Calibrated, the Kuro wins because you can make primaries and secondaries accurate while maintaining a gray scale with very very small errors.

- Looking at actual image content on both... the Kuro holds shadow detail better, significantly better. The overall Samsung image quality is "very good". Kuro image quality is "excellent". Kuro images appear more dimensional and natural. Kuro images look marginally sharper though I don't know why. The Samsung and Kuro look the same when displaying a 1080p color or b&w multiburst pattern but something about actual moving images looks better on the Kuro panels.

- The Kuro screen is larger and, while 2" may not seem like much, it's really pretty significant and on that basis alone, a good chunk of the $800 difference is justifed by the larger screen alone.

- I would characterize the Samsung as excellent bang-for-the-buck. But the Kuros are producing the best images money can buy in a self contained video display of any kind.

Sorry to post this in a Samsung owner's thread, but this is where the question was asked. I like the Samsung plasma images quite a lot... just not as much as the Kuros. As far as I'm concerned, there is no flat panel or RPTV at any price with images better (or even as good as) the Kuros. And this includes $10,000+ flat panels from boutique brands... the Kuros are still better.

Max,

Have you had a chance to perform the same sort of analysis on any of the new Panny's vs the Samsung (80's, 85's, or 800's)?

Thanks!

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #914 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 05:36 PM

For any of the owners of the A550... what different PIP modes are available?
I haven't found any info other than it does "have" PIP.
post #915 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 PM

I have Brighthouse cable and wonder if any of the 50A550 owners have Brighthouse HD? How is the quality? How does it look on this set? Thanks
post #916 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Question. I understand that HD uses a different color space (709?) versus SD. Is there anyway to save two different settings, one for SD and one for HD that teh TV automatically adjusts based on the scan rate inputted?

Alternatively, when I'm using my 9.8 I am always having it scale to 1080p before sending to the TV, does this mean that SD is processed in 709 by the TV?

Not even sure what I asked above makes sense, but hopefully someone will understand what I'm getting at!!

The "Auto" color space setting on the Samsung does NOT switch color spaces as implied in the Owner's Manual. In fact, it stays in HD color space all the time. It's pretty accurate for all colors except Magenta (at least on the panel I measured) which is too Red. The other colors are REALLY close to where they are supposed to be. Native mode makes the Samsung's color space look a lot like other plasmas... green way too oversaturated, red a little over saturated, and the cyan and yellow secondaries not particulary accurate. That leaves the Custom mode but you can't do anything with that unless you have instrumentation or a professional calibrator. If you do have instrumentation or a calibrator, you can't fix Auto mode so that the small errors in all the colors are fixed and so the larger error in Magenta is fixed. There aren't any adjustments available for Auto mode. That means to have 2 color spaces, you'd have to live with the Magenta error in Auto mode and use that for HD sources and use Custom mode to create an accurate SD mode. You'd then have to manually switch back and forth. If you want the ultimate in accuracy for HD movies, you'd have to use Custom mode - and if you do that, there's nothing left produce an SD color space with.

I have an AVR with the Silicon Optix HQV processor that's in your 9.8, but I haven't checked to see what it does with color space when you send it 480i and upconvert to 1080p. I may be able to look into that at some point. Never really gave it much thought until you mentioned it.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #917 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pil View Post

I can be pretty picky with video so maybe I'm going overboard. However, I noticed tonight while watching HD TV that the sides of the image are stretched out from the middle. Its most noticeable if the video is panning horizontally. I tried changing the video mode to 16:9 and it was still visible. Is this normal?

Thanks!
-Pil

That's not normal but your HD source may be causing it, not the display.

Most test/setup discs have geometric patterns that can be used to determine whether the video display is correctly sizing the images or not.

If you are using a cabl or satellite box, it may have multiple image format settings. My DISH DVR has 4:3 #1 and 4:3 #2 setttings... one is distorted, the other is not. But the 16:9 setting is really the right setting to use unless you are manually setting the box to 480i.

post #918 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 PM

...thank you, Doug

...for your answers and for your help !

Claus
post #919 of 5666 Old 05-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post

...thank you, Doug

...for your answers and for your help !

Claus

Yeah, I don't even own a Sammy, but I'm considering a 58A550/650. It's great to have some expert opinion, and knowledge of how some of these features/setting work on the sammy.

Thanks for your time Doug,

-Coggs
post #920 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Did the JScreenfix help at all?

I am using a component 1080 source (my SA8300 PVR cable box). If I use "Just Scan", I get a slight black bar on the top and bottom of my screen. However, I keep it on 16:9 at all times when watching HD programming, well, all programming actually. No bars whatsoever. Why are you using "Just Scan"?

I used the DVD version they supply for maybe 30min. Didn't want to do it any longer because my TV is not run in yet (obviously) and the DVD plays for 5sec and then freezes for 1sec before repeating.
I tried the JScreen program for PC from my notebook and selected to just "repair" the area of the pixel but that turns itself off after 15min or so. I guess it's a demo limitation.

i need to look into it further when I return from my trip. but for now I have decided to go on my trip, return, break-in the tv and then give it a 2 hour run. if that does not fix it, i will just live with the stuck pixel.

it is stuck on blue/red, so if either is shown you cannot see it.
i can't see it in moving images even if i tried from as little as 2 feet. so from my viewing distance (3.5m=10 feet) i cannot even see it on an all white screen.
post #921 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Doug is there any way you can give your exact pic setting, Wouls really like to check it out
post #922 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

mine is 1/8" difference from far left to far right. i thought that the stand had been bent so i had BB come out and take a look and they told me that the stand is pretty strong and can take quite a bit and that the set is probably just stuck on a thread on one of the screws when it was attached. i don't know if this is BS or not but they didn't seem to think it was a big deal and told me it was fine. i'm debating calling samsung on this but not sure if it's really needed or worth it. can't really tell the difference if you didn't measure the two sides but i guess it's bugging me cause i know about it.

They're coming out today - wish me luck getting my stand replaced!

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #923 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

OK - HDMI 1 input, 1080i - the Pixel shift settings are grayed out! Is this normal??

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #924 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Max,

Have you had a chance to perform the same sort of analysis on any of the new Panny's vs the Samsung (80's, 85's, or 800's)?

Thanks!

In general:

- Out of the box or calibrated, the new Samsung plasmas have better color accuracy than the Panasonics if you select Movie mode on Samsung, Cinema mode on Panasonic. In fact the Samsung out of the box is amazingly close on all colors except magenta. With calibration, all primaries and secondaries can be made essentially perfect on the Samsung. The 2-digit Panasonics still have the typical oversaturated green, slightly oversaturated red and errors in the secondaries as a result.

- Both have gray scales with fairly significant errors out of the box, hard to choose a winner. Calibrated... the Panasonics can be calibrated to have lower average errors in the gray scale than the Samsungs.

- Black levels on the 2-digit Panasonics an Samsung 550 series are similar, haven't measured the 650 Sam or 800 Pan

- When confronted with a panel with superior color accuracy but higher-than-you'd-like gray scale errors versus a panel that is not especially color-accurate, but has lower gray scale errors... they don't look the same, but it's difficult to say one is absolutely better than the other. Depends on what errors are most noticeable to you, I guess. I might lean a little towards the Samsung because it has more adjustments and even though the average gray scale errors are higher than the Pan after both are calibrated, the Sam errors don't seem to be any more visible, or maybe even less visible, than the errors on the Panasonic because of the locations and/or color of the errors.

- You can end up with a Panasonic calibrated with a Gamma of about 2.25 (Cinema mode) but there are no adjustmets to make it higher if you want it higher. After calibration, you can set the Samsung for Gammas of 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, or 2.4 (-3 setting = highest numeric Gamma, but these numbers are much lower before calibration with 2.05 being the highest possible Gamma... and that's not really high enough). So, out of th box, the Pansonic has a clear advantage re. Gamma because they are going to measure in the 2.2-2.3 range versus 2.05 or so for the Samsungs. But after cal, the Samsungs have much more flexibility re. Gamma as well as higher Gamma if you want that.

post #925 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

In general:

- Out of the box or calibrated, the new Samsung plasmas have better color accuracy than the Panasonics if you select Movie mode on Samsung, Cinema mode on Panasonic. In fact the Samsung out of the box is amazingly close on all colors except magenta. With calibration, all primaries and secondaries can be made essentially perfect on the Samsung. The 2-digit Panasonics still have the typical oversaturated green, slightly oversaturated red and errors in the secondaries as a result.

- Both have gray scales with fairly significant errors out of the box, hard to choose a winner. Calibrated... the Panasonics can be calibrated to have lower average errors in the gray scale than the Samsungs.

- Black levels on the 2-digit Panasonics an Samsung 550 series are similar, haven't measured the 650 Sam or 800 Pan

- When confronted with a panel with superior color accuracy but higher-than-you'd-like gray scale errors versus a panel that is not especially color-accurate, but has lower gray scale errors... they don't look the same, but it's difficult to say one is absolutely better than the other. Depends on what errors are most noticeable to you, I guess. I might lean a little towards the Samsung because it has more adjustments and even though the average gray scale errors are higher than the Pan after both are calibrated, the Sam errors don't seem to be any more visible, or maybe even less visible, than the errors on the Panasonic because of the locations and/or color of the errors.

- You can end up with a Panasonic calibrated with a Gamma of about 2.25 (Cinema mode) but there are no adjustmets to make it higher if you want it higher. After calibration, you can set the Samsung for Gammas of 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, or 2.4 (-3 setting = highest numeric Gamma, but these numbers are much lower before calibration with 2.05 being the highest possible Gamma... and that's not really high enough). So, out of th box, the Pansonic has a clear advantage re. Gamma because they are going to measure in the 2.2-2.3 range versus 2.05 or so for the Samsungs. But after cal, the Samsungs have much more flexibility re. Gamma as well as higher Gamma if you want that.

Doug,

Thank you this clears up a lot. I am really interested in the 650 (clear picture, good colors), but I want to see if the Pioneer 5020 is that much better. Do you think you would have a chance to test the 650?
post #926 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 AM

hmmm.

used the JScreenFix Applet and deluxe and i think it actually made things worse!!!

I now have the stuck one plus 4-5 on the verge of being properly stuck. still flashing, but i am getting worried!
post #927 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post

They're coming out today - wish me luck getting my stand replaced!

They're ordering a stand for me! WooHoo!

Now if someone would answer my Burn-in setting question! (about the setting being grayed out on HDMI 1 running in 1080i mode and JustScan.)

Every other input and mode I can turn on and set the Burn In settings!!!!

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #928 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

hmmm.

used the JScreenFix Applet and deluxe and i think it actually made things worse!!!

I now have the stuck one plus 4-5 on the verge of being properly stuck. still flashing, but i am getting worried!

Time to call Samsung!

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #929 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting, CNet seems to imply that the Panasonic Z85 had better black levels. Having had both in my home I can't recall the Z85 being better, maybe slightly so, but the Sammy is a 58" so that's a tough call due to the larger screen.

Quote:

post #930 of 5666 Old 05-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Once inside the service menu of the Pn50a550, where will I find the hours of use that the display has been on?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page