Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5678 Old 04-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

"Samsung's Series 7 plasma HDTVs incorporate several new premium features including the company's self-described "Touch of Color" bezels and Ultra FilterBright anti-glare technology that is impressively effective at minimizing the appearance of ambient light reflections. The Series 7 plasmas also offer improved video processing, 4 HDMI v1.3 ports, and an Ethernet port for local network access of multimedia files as well as access to RSS-based content. Available in April 2008, the Series 7 Plasma HDTVs will offer screen sizes of 50 inches (PN50A750T), 58 inches (PN58A750T), and 63 inches (PN63A750T)."

maybe the Series 7 will do 1 to 1 pixel mapping?

I was told these aren't going to be out until Aug though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5678 Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 PM

Just picked up the PN50A550 at BB on Friday...well almost. Apparently they only have a display model on hand and they will be shipping it to me on Monday. This seems to be common where I live at least (Ohio). I wanted to share my story as I hope it will help others get a good deal on what I consider an awesome plasma (the picture in person was OUTSTANDING).

As many have posted, they have it listed as "on sale" for $2199. They were very willing to negotiate, and knocked it down to $1999. I told them that was fair and to ring it up. But then they found out it was not in stock, I threw a fit and demanded an additional $100 off. They offered to meet me at $1950 and I started to walk out of the store. Right at the exit, they stopped me and said they could do the deal.

In the end I got it delivered for free(two day wait...meh), $300 off the sales price, and a HDMI cable(installers cable for $40) for $2062.00 with tax. This is my first HD, but I've been looking for awhile. This was the first one in my price range that really made me say wow.

BTW: The 550 made the 5084 look terrible.
post #93 of 5678 Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just don't get it.......I've been to THREE BB's and 2 circut city's and none of them has this TV......never even heard of it...

Did you by chance compare it to a panny or pio?

Thanks
post #94 of 5678 Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post

I just don't get it.......I've been to THREE BB's and 2 circut city's and none of them has this TV......never even heard of it...

Did you by chance compare it to a panny or pio?

Thanks

I will say that I was really leaning towards the 720 Pioneer Kuro plasma...can't remember the model, but you can get it for around $2000. I thought it had a great picture too, but felt like I'd regret buying a set less than 1080p. The other thing is that my budget was $2000-3000. A 1080p Pioneer was going to be pushing it.

Panny's never seemed to have a great picture to me. I know they get great reviews, but I didn't see it.

The 550 was next to a $3000 Sharp LCD and the color difference was very noticable. The lcd was washed out and flat and the 550 was REALLY vivid. I know I sound like a homer, but that's why I bought the set. Hell, I would have bought the lcd if it wasn't going in my basement.

Quick note on the 550: The cabinet is much more subtle and refined. The 5084 has those faux chrome panels on the side that looked really cheap. While I'm not a big fan of the hi-gloss look, at least it doesn't look like it came from Orange County Choppers.
post #95 of 5678 Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also bought the PN50A550 from BestBuy on Friday. I had checked the website and knew that my local store did not have the set. I went to the store and they had one on display. They said they only had it for a week. They tried to get it fromt the next closest store that had it (45 miles away) but that store would not give up their stock. They also told me that there is none at their distribution center either. They asked me to wait a few more minutes and see what they could do. They came back about 15 minutes later and told us that they had located a set in Central Mass that they could send a truck for and have it for us by Tuesday at the latest. We decided to go for it and left the store about noon on Friday. About 5 PM Friday I got a call from the salesman who said he had a TV waiting for me and come get it at any time. We went down and got the TV and brought it home and set it up fairly quickly. The hardest part was moving the old 36 CRT out of the way. The TV is flat out stunning! My experience at BestBuy was very pleasant and I have no complaints with them. I didn't push a lower price because there seemed to be a short supply of the sets and the supply/demand situation didn't seem to be in my favor. I'm just thrilled to have this new TV, the whole family loves it (3 boys 7, 12, 14) and my wife really loves it which as we all know is the most important factor in any purchase;-). I will be back probably with lots of questions over the next few weeks if I have time. Early impressions: stunned at how good this TV looks with 480i DVD on a 8 year old Tosh player, stunned at how good standard def DISH satellite looks on this set. OTA - stunning!! Can't wait to get some high def sources to look at. Probably have to wait till I get my tax return. My kids don't need to go to college right?

Dave
post #96 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 04:19 PM

The 58" 550 was delivered to my house this afternoon!....

Will set it up and play with the all the tuning settings before I post my results... probably this weeked...

I'll drive the unit with a PS3,....

Can't wait! .... Purchased it via CC.
post #97 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations on your new big screen, hope you enjoy it!

Patience has its rewards.
post #98 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 PM

I will be receiving my 58" 550 on thursday. I got mine through buydig.com for 2929.00 plus free shipping and now they are 2888.00 I can't wait to check it out and see what this beast can do.
post #99 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM

I have had the 50" A550 now for 13 days, and have nothing but good things to say about it. The picture quality is superb, and I have already logged in 156 hours on it without using any break-in settings. I have had no IR or burn-in issues.
post #100 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 07:14 PM

I bought one of these today. It coming on Thurday it is to replace my HL-T6187s DLP. Its alittle samller 61 to 58 but Iwas never really happy with the DLP picture. I am hoping this is as good as you say. its hard to tell i nthe stores as everything seems to look bad there
post #101 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM

one questions as some seemed to say yes and others no does it do 1080p/24 ?
post #102 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

one questions as some seemed to say yes and others no does it do 1080p/24 ?

The 550 is like the 5084 in regards to this, is will accept a 1080p/24 signal but displays it at 60hz. I have my ps3 set at 24( I have the 5084 but have tested on the 550) and it seems to look better to me but when switching back and forth it is really hard to tell, it may be more of a placebo effect. In any case I just leave the ps3 set at 24.
post #103 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Just got my 50" 550 today also. It's my first HD and it replaces my 53" big wood box set. I haven't played with the settings, but it looks pretty sweet as is. The funniest thing was watching Dick Vitale in the NCAA Final pregame. That guy looked like death was on his doorstep.
post #104 of 5678 Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 PM

I am using component because I couldn't get as good a picture using HDMI with my H20-100 reciever from Directv. Picture quality is awsome, so I don't know how much better if at all HDMI would be. This was a replacement for a Maxent 50x3 that went bad on me after 3 years ( I had the 4 year warranty from BB so I was good). The Maxent had great picture quality, but can't hold a candle to this plasma. Here are my settings using component:

Picture menu:
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 8
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 0
Color: 40
Tint: G50, R50

Detailed Settings menu:
Black Adjust: High
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: default (25)
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
XvYCC: off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Low
Film Mode: Off
post #105 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 AM

Could you guys maybe comment on the difference between the new A550 FullHD compared to the old 5084 FullHD?
Unfortunately in Germany the new model is not yet available and will be a good bit more expensive. I am just wondering whether it is worth the wait and the extra cash.
With seemingly no new UltraFilter Bright, no new features (except USB), the same movieplus and the same inputs etc. and no 3D functionality, what would you say is different and maybe how so or is it worth it?
post #106 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

The 550 is like the 5084 in regards to this, is will accept a 1080p/24 signal but displays it at 60hz. I have my ps3 set at 24( I have the 5084 but have tested on the 550) and it seems to look better to me but when switching back and forth it is really hard to tell, it may be more of a placebo effect. In any case I just leave the ps3 set at 24.

Thanks well thats not bad its the same as the pioneer 6010FD that as I was trying to decide between.

Personaly I like the Sammy better but maybe it was a poor signal in the store
post #107 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog3 View Post

I bought one of these today. It coming on Thurday it is to replace my HL-T6187s DLP. Its alittle samller 61 to 58 but Iwas never really happy with the DLP picture. I am hoping this is as good as you say. its hard to tell i nthe stores as everything seems to look bad there

i'm looking to replace my hls 6187 which is starting to shut off on it's own. dlps do have some advantages though. bright picture, no burn in.
post #108 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

Could you guys maybe comment on the difference between the new A550 FullHD compared to the old 5084 FullHD?
Unfortunately in Germany the new model is not yet available and will be a good bit more expensive. I am just wondering whether it is worth the wait and the extra cash.
With seemingly no new UltraFilter Bright, no new features (except USB), the same movieplus and the same inputs etc. and no 3D functionality, what would you say is different and maybe how so or is it worth it?

I posted this earlier which does some comparasions.

"The only place locally I could find the 550 at was Best Buy. Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics and Americans(all the local stores to me) did not have them yet. I just purchased the 5084 at a pretty good price but am coming up on my 30 days so I went to the local Best Buy to take a look. They had it set up right at eye level and the clerk gave me the remote and let me go to town on it. The set is much thinner than the 5084 and weighs about 15lbs. lighter, speakers have been moved from the side/rears to the bottom now and the chrome bezel on the side is gone. The menu is still similiar to last years but looks a little cleaner and has some new options. There is a setting for cell lighting which from what I could tell controls the brightness of the panel, also new is a seperate color setting for flesh tones. With the crappy feed at Best Buy it was hard to get a good feel for how much these 2 settings actually do. There is a new favorite type of button which gives you one button access to your most used menu settings. There is now single button remote access to turn the game mode and sports mode on and off. A reduction from the 5084's 2 year warrenty to 1 year now. The set seems to run much cooler than last years, it had been on all all day and the top of it seemed pretty cool still at least compared the 5084 which runs fairly hot. I had heard that Samsung had combined the seperate X and Y Sustain boards on to one single board now which helps it run cooler and reduced weight and thikness. I felt that the set is definatly brighter than last years but the blacks didn't look any different to me. I really like the new design and styling changes that they made but other than the brightness I could see no difference in picture quality, and least not enough to make me take the 5084 back and spend $400 more on the new set.
I really wish I could take it home and compare it with the 5084 side by side with a good quality 1080p feed. It's so hard to get a really good idea on these sets with the feeds in the stores."

Also the 5084 does have a usb port on it as well(Wiselink). The 550 has a new 100,000 hour panel compared to the 5084's 60,000 hour panel. The 550 adds A.C.E. which is supposed to help handle false contouring. Here is a link to the cutsheet for the 550, the cut sheet says that it does support the 3d mode?

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...0A550_spec.pdf
post #109 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 AM

The A550 apparently has neither the 3D feature nor the UltraFilterBRight as mentioned in your pdf. I guess that was a preproduction information and they then found it wouldn'T work properly.

Thanks for the comparison. I had read that but had hoped someone had maybe seen both in a darker and maybe more suitable environment to do a real comparison. Blacks cannot be judged in a shop and colors etc. often are subtle in stores.
post #110 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Note: I originally posted this review in the BB review section for the TV, however, it has yet to appear there. I can only conclude that it was 'filtered out' for some reason. Which, in my opinion, makes those store-specific review sections worthless.

I bought this TV about 1 week ago from my local Best Buy dealer. I looked around town, and due to this product being 'new' no one else had any in stock. I spent about 2 weeks going to all the local stores trying to compare pictures, decide over LCD vs. Plasma, etc. One local Best Buy salesman was quite positive that in a couple years, Plasma's would be gone like the dinosaurs and LCD's would reign supreme. So for a day or two, I had it in my head that I needed to buy LCD (which for a 1080p, 120hz, are more expensive, much more...) But then I came to the realization that it didn't make a difference what was being produced in 2-3 years, I was buying today. (And I have serious doubts that Plasma's will be gone in 2-3 years.) This TV was rated at 100k hours - which would make me an old man by the time I needed to replace it.

The leap of faith for me came because I never actually saw this TV on display anywhere. As mentioned, most stores didn't have it, and the 1 or 2 that did weren't putting it on display until older models moved. After viewing every TV size, brand and model I could find and after my 100th visit to a local shop, I concluded that there was no way I would be able to reasonably say one manufacturer/brand, LCD vs. Plasma was better then another. It depends way too much on too many uncontrollable factors.

I decided to buy this new Samsung 50" based on price point. Not only was it part of Samsung's 'new' line, it was priced to move. And priced well! (not to mention that I got it as part of a package deal, right around the $2000 mark) Given the '30-day' return policy I decided that I'd take it home, set it up where I'd be watching TV and see for myself. One interesting point about this TV is that the salesman told me it only had the 'standard' picture controls such as: Tint, Color, Brightness, Contrast, etc. The 'advanced' settings could only be 'tweaked' by the Best Buy team using a '10k' machine (at a cost of $300 bucks - yea right!) Luckily, this is not correct. I'm not sure if this is typical of other models, but this 'new' line of Samsung's allows advanced settings: gamma, black levels, all sorts of stuff that I'm not comfortable messing with in fear of severely messing up the picture. (Of course you can always go back to factory settings.)

After getting my new Samsung home, which was quite large and required two people to remove it from the box and setup, I was quite happy compared to messing with some of the 32-inch tubes I still have. OMG, so much easier! And it looked the part too, sleek, black, with it's own swivel base. Yes, this is a nice looking TV.

I also picked up a Playstation III for Blu-Ray and I have plenty of HD satellite channels, and I have to say I can't wait every night to settle in and watch this new TV. The picture is absolutely amazing! Crystal clear and super bright! I have a fairly dark room (shutters), but plenty of light still seeps in the daytime, and there is absolutely no issue with glare, etc. This is quite an amazing TV. The only thing I could possibly say in the negative is that I spend a lot of time trying to tweak the 'skin-tone' settings. Perhaps it's just that I finally have a TV capable of displaying the horrid fake tan's of our nationwide and local newscasters, but some are so absurd I don't believe they could possibly be true, so I play around with different color settings tying to find the most natural look. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the TV because movies and other channels look fine. (Maybe I need that $300 setup... I think I'll pass...)

All in all I think this TV is about the best bang you can get for your buck (April '08), and assuming you don't pick up a manufacturing lemon, I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with it too. (I only say this because there's always a horror story or two out there because someone picked one up with a defect. It happens. I've owned a couple Samsung computer monitors and now this TV, and I've had good luck with them to date.)
post #111 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk9 View Post

the salesman told me it only had the 'standard' picture controls such as: Tint, Color, Brightness, Contrast, etc. The 'advanced' settings could only be 'tweaked' by the Best Buy team using a '10k' machine (at a cost of $300 bucks - yea right!)

LMAO!!!!! I guess he thought he had a pigeon.
post #112 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

Blacks cannot be judged in a shop and colors etc. often are subtle in stores.

I agree there, it is so tough to properly check out these sets at the big box stores. Usually the feeds are horrible being split between dozens of sets and Macroblocking severly and the lighting horrible. The nice thing with these stores though is the 30 day return policy.
It looks like the 650 will have the Ultrafilter Bright Filter if the feature list is correct.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do
post #113 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Congratulations on your new set blackhawk! I'll be getting my 58" up this weekend ... Will break it in with Apocolypto with a PS3... Review of the setup this weekend.....
post #114 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etw926 View Post

I am using component because I couldn't get as good a picture using HDMI with my H20-100 reciever from Directv. Picture quality is awsome, so I don't know how much better if at all HDMI would be. This was a replacement for a Maxent 50x3 that went bad on me after 3 years ( I had the 4 year warranty from BB so I was good). The Maxent had great picture quality, but can't hold a candle to this plasma. Here are my settings using component:

Picture menu:
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 8
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 0
Color: 40
Tint: G50, R50

Are you worried about burn in with the cell light turned up to 8 and the contrast turned up to 80? I noticed you turned the Sharpness down to 0, what effect did this have? This TV has more detailed settings than I have ever seen on a TV and I'm afraid to touch most of them.

Dave
post #115 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post

Are you worried about burn in with the cell light turned up to 8 and the contrast turned up to 80? I noticed you turned the Sharpness down to 0, what effect did this have? This TV has more detailed settings than I have ever seen on a TV and I'm afraid to touch most of them.

No I'm not worried. This is my 2nd plasma, and I set this one and the other at settings that I think look best to my eyes. I had the other plasma for 3 years, and never had any type of IR or Burn-In issues. It's only been 2 weeks, but so far I have not had any issues with this screen either. I honestly feel that the whole burn-in thing is overblown.
post #116 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etw926 View Post

No I'm not worried. This is my 2nd plasma, and I set this one and the other at settings that I think look best to my eyes. I had the other plasma for 3 years, and never had any type of IR or Burn-In issues. It's only been 2 weeks, but so far I have not had any issues with this screen either. I honestly feel that the whole burn-in thing is overblown.

is there a automatic seting for picture size, or do you have to change the settings manually?
post #117 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM

I've been looking at these too, really wanting the 58".. I went to BB this evening to look, they had the 50 out on display.. I wasn't impressed, but I never trust the settings there.. The had the 50 720p model right above it, and it looked a lot better, sharper, brighter, and better black levels, than the 50a550 below it, and of course on it's side was a Pioneer.. so it made the Samsung blacks look really gray.. But I believe it was not adjusted well at all since the one above it even looked better.
Still trying to decide between the Panny and the new Sammy though..
or maybe a nice little 47" LCD, and a Projector..
post #118 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommy View Post

is there a automatic seting for picture size, or do you have to change the settings manually?

It's manual. I leave it on just scan so it is not a big deal to me. It's simple to change though if you need to. Just push the E.MODE button on remote.
post #119 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiperrc View Post

I've been looking at these too, really wanting the 58".. I went to BB this evening to look, they had the 50 out on display.. I wasn't impressed, but I never trust the settings there.. The had the 50 720p model right above it, and it looked a lot better, sharper, brighter, and better black levels, than the 50a550 below it, and of course on it's side was a Pioneer.. so it made the Samsung blacks look really gray.. But I believe it was not adjusted well at all since the one above it even looked better.
Still trying to decide between the Panny and the new Sammy though..
or maybe a nice little 47" LCD, and a Projector..

you must have went to the same store i did, bb, the 720 model looked much better. everything you said. i thought they had the price tags switched. the picture seemed dead on the 50a550, maybe becouse they only being fed coax.
post #120 of 5678 Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM

blackhawk9, your honest review is making my choice between the Sammy PN50A550 and the LN46A550 a little tougher. I'm lucky enough to be able to get either one for about the same price, give or take $100. Of course I really like the Sammy 4669, but that will cost me about $180 more than the others.

Can any AVS folks out there share their experience with SD, HDtv, Blue Ray and good old DVD with any of the pre-mentioned Sammys?

Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page