Samsung PN50A550 / PN58A550 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have talked to several sales persons about this set compared to the Pana TH50PZ80U. They said the the Pana's don't burn in as easy as the Samsungs do. Does anyone know if this is correct or not. I am trying to make an educated decision, but it is hard. No one in my area has a Samsung PN50A550 on display to compare it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Life's Short, Play Hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post

I have talked to several sales persons about this set compared to the Pana TH50PZ80U. They said the the Pana's don't burn in as easy as the Samsungs do. Does anyone know if this is correct or not. I am trying to make an educated decision, but it is hard. No one in my area has a Samsung PN50A550 on display to compare it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Sales people are handing you..........
post #183 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM

What the heck is all this burn in talk. I believe the problem is greatly exaggerated, Samsung or Panny, does not matter.

Regarding power consumption, the Cnet pn50a550 review "power box" stats say the consumption in standby mode is 1.2 watt in both default and power save modes. The 58 incher should not be any different.
How would something draw 16watt in stand by mode? What is it using this energy for? The screen is off, and those tiny stand by chips cannot be using that much energy.
post #184 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM

that was a very good review by CNEt. Now if only they do the new Samsung LCDS and Panny Plasmas
post #185 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 PM

That review is making me think.. I've been debating about getting the new 58a550 until I found an open box Sony 60" SXRD that I was looking at before, for a good price.. I picked it up.. It does have a really good picture, but part of me thinks that I might as well get the newer technology, and besides, how often does the wife agree to the purchase of a new big scree ? Maybe I should take advantage of it and go with the Plasma ?
post #186 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 01:51 PM

I just looked at a pn50a550 next to i think it was a pio 6010fd at best buy, and all i have to say is that anyone looking to buy a 550 should be very happy.

in the store side by side you can notice some small differences, i personally think that the 550 is a little sharper, and the 6010 had better darks (in other words the skin tones on people seemed to have more depth on the 6010). Over all your not going to notice at home, and the 550 has a great price. Oh and I to did notice the bright greens on the 550, but it wasn't as bad as i heard people say

oh and these plasma's were at w/e goofy settings the clerks had them at thow, the 6010 wasn't even on when i got there. im guessing they didn't want to trip the breakers because as they turned it on they turned the one below it off.
post #187 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 03:38 PM

I am banging my head against the wall every time I look at my Samsung 4671 .

I saw the 58A550 at a local store next to a A650 LCD today... the uniformity in brightness, large viewing angle available, and deeper blacks was readily apparent.

The 58A550 was the largest TV on display -- the sheer size of it was impressive (next to the 46 and 52" TV's).

Great looking TV's.
post #188 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM

I bought my Samsung PN50A550 on Sunday morning (4/13) from Amazon.com for $1,958.15 w/Free Shipping. Since then there have been 5 price drops totaling $108.17. I called Amazon each time and they refunded me the difference every time with no problems. I have 5 price adjustments/credits on my account. Amazon has a 30-day lowest price guarantee. Amazon also has a very good 30-day return policy where other on-line stores do not allow returns.

If you are looking to buy the PN50A550, I suggest you check out Amazon before you look anywhere else. The latest price drop was $20. The PN50A550 now sells for: $1,849.98 Free w/Shipping & NO TAX...

I wanted to share the wealth.. Good luck everyone!!!

-------------------------

ALWAYS use PriceProtectr.com to track your prices...
post #189 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 PM

Liked: 11
I'm seriously considering this TV. It's on sale at Circuit City for $2069 + tax, and there are lots of 8% off coupons for sale on eBay. So a local, delivered set would be about $2100 total from an authorized dealer that has a good return policy.

Anyone go from a CRT set (Sony KV-34XBR960) to one of these? If so how do they compare?
post #190 of 5667 Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

I'm seriously considering this TV. It's on sale at Circuit City for $2069 + tax, and there are lots of 8% off coupons for sale on eBay. So a local, delivered set would be about $2100 total from an authorized dealer that has a good return policy.

Anyone go from a CRT set (Sony KV-34XBR960) to one of these? If so how do they compare?

or... you can buy it from Amazon.com for $1849.00 (free shipping/no tax) and they have a very good return policy... That's $250 less than CC.

post #191 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 03:38 AM

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon on the PN50A550. I got CC to match the Amazon.com price. I had to pay the tax, but CC has 3yr no interest on Samsung over 999. They actually had the Samsung side by side with the Panasonic TH-50PZ80U. They are very close. The Samsung looked better, but you could tell that the Panasonic was on VIVID. The Samsung was on Standard and everything looked more natural. Got it home and part of the way set up. I am waiting on some HDMI cables to come in, and I want to wall mount it this weekend. Does anyone know if someone has posted calibration settings? I know a couple of ISF guys posted settings in the Panasonic thread. I don't remember reading any in this thread.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #192 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 AM

I am using the settings from the previous post of cnet settings - http://help.cnet.com/9602-12576_39-0...sageID=2510662

Used this on my HDMI with PS3 source and looks very good so far... I am going to tweek later and post my favorite settings this weekend....
post #193 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 AM

I forgot about the Cnet review. I still need to finish the break in period. Thankfully my wife even noticed a very big difference from my old Mitsu 46" 1080i rear projection and the new one. It really did look very good to me right out of the box on the standard setting.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #194 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiperrc View Post

That review is making me think.. I've been debating about getting the new 58a550 until I found an open box Sony 60" SXRD that I was looking at before, for a good price.. I picked it up.. It does have a really good picture, but part of me thinks that I might as well get the newer technology, and besides, how often does the wife agree to the purchase of a new big scree ? Maybe I should take advantage of it and go with the Plasma ?

This is an easy decision. Get the plasma and you will love everything about it. Just the ability to wall-mount it (and the feeling that comes with seeing the picture float on a wall) either immediately or down the road should be enough to sway you away from the clunky sony.
post #195 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post

Thanks

I have about 150 hours on this PN50A550 and the image retention has not changed - it's still really bad. It will retain EVERYTHING from the the Blu-ray logo from a Sony Blu-ray disc player to the DISH program guide, to the internal User Menus. I can see retained image after just 30 seconds with black or gray on the screen (takes longer to be visible with color image content). I have worked on a Panasonic PX series (not a PZ series which is similar, PZ is 768p) and found it quit bad for image retention also. Hard to pick an image retention winner between the Panasonic and the Samsung, both were very susceptible.

This was temporary image retention, of couse. It can be eliminated with 60-90 minutes of using the "Scrolling" eraser feature on the Samsung. But still... here we are in plasma's 8th-10th generation and STILL image retention plagues most panels. The only panels I've seen where image retention was not a significant issue as long as you didn't do something really bad are Pioneer Kuro panels. But they are dropping smaller panel sizes and their prices tend to be higher than other panels - but there are clear performance reasons for the higher prices.

I wouldn't use a plasma like Samsung or Panasonic for gaming or as a PC display because the image retention sets in so quickly. If you watch a 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 aspect ratio movie, the Samsung doesn't have any mode that will fill the screen with image without geometry problems (stretching). So even if you don't mind zooming and cutting off the sides of the movie so you can fill the screen top-to-bottom, you can't do it with the 550. You can fill the screen, but you have to accept some vertical stretching.

And satellite and cable boxes that force you to pick 1 output resolution... most people will pick 1080i but that displays 4:3 content as 1080i also and the TV will not put up gray side bars. To get the gray side bars requires me (for the DISH HD DVR I use) to press about 12 remote buttons to enter a setup menu and change 3 parameters and exit that menu. That will get me back to 480i so I can get gray side bars. But when I change to an HD channel, it will be presented in 480i unless I return to the DVR's menu and change the resolution back to 1080i. I'm not complaining that Samsung (or anybody else) should have a fix for this (though you'd think constant black bars on the sides of 1080i content might be detectable) - just pointing out a reality that makes plasma displays annoying to use with real-world source components when they retain images so easily.

Someone is likely to ask if I am using the Screen Burn Prevention feature on the 550... yes, it is turned on and set to 4 pixels in both directions and 2 minutes. I am experimenting with 1 minute to see if that does a better job since 30 seconds seems to be about where image retention first becomes visible. To determine the 30 seconds for visible image retenton, I opened the Menu button and pressed the "right" movement (arrow) button to put the blue highlight on "Mode: Movie". Cell Light is on 7. Contrast is 95 (I may reduce this after taking more measurements).
post #196 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

I have about 150 hours on this PN50A550 and the image retention has not changed - it's still really bad. It will retain EVERYTHING from the the Blu-ray logo from a Sony Blu-ray disc player to the DISH program guide, to the internal User Menus. I can see retained image after just 30 seconds with black or gray on the screen (takes longer to be visible with color image content). I have worked on a Panasonic PX series (not a PZ series which is similar, PZ is 768p) and found it quit bad for image retention also. Hard to pick an image retention winner between the Panasonic and the Samsung, both were very susceptible.

This was temporary image retention, of couse. It can be eliminated with 60-90 minutes of using the "Scrolling" eraser feature on the Samsung. But still... here we are in plasma's 8th-10th generation and STILL image retention plagues most panels. The only panels I've seen where image retention was not a significant issue as long as you didn't do something really bad are Pioneer Kuro panels. But they are dropping smaller panel sizes and their prices tend to be higher than other panels - but there are clear performance reasons for the higher prices.

I wouldn't use a plasma like Samsung or Panasonic for gaming or as a PC display because the image retention sets in so quickly. If you watch a 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 aspect ratio movie, the Samsung doesn't have any mode that will fill the screen with image without geometry problems (stretching). So even if you don't mind zooming and cutting off the sides of the movie so you can fill the screen top-to-bottom, you can't do it with the 550. You can fill the screen, but you have to accept some vertical stretching.

And satellite and cable boxes that force you to pick 1 output resolution... most people will pick 1080i but that displays 4:3 content as 1080i also and the TV will not put up gray side bars. To get the gray side bars requires me (for the DISH HD DVR I use) to press about 12 remote buttons to enter a setup menu and change 3 parameters and exit that menu. That will get me back to 480i so I can get gray side bars. But when I change to an HD channel, it will be presented in 480i unless I return to the DVR's menu and change the resolution back to 1080i. I'm not complaining that Samsung (or anybody else) should have a fix for this (though you'd think constant black bars on the sides of 1080i content might be detectable) - just pointing out a reality that makes plasma displays annoying to use with real-world source components when they retain images so easily.

Someone is likely to ask if I am using the Screen Burn Prevention feature on the 550... yes, it is turned on and set to 4 pixels in both directions and 2 minutes. I am experimenting with 1 minute to see if that does a better job since 30 seconds seems to be about where image retention first becomes visible. To determine the 30 seconds for visible image retenton, I opened the Menu button and pressed the "right" movement (arrow) button to put the blue highlight on "Mode: Movie". Cell Light is on 7. Contrast is 95 (I may reduce this after taking more measurements).

I have not had any of the IR issues that you mention.
post #197 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM

Me neigher. Never noticed anything like this on any plasmas i had.

Getting my 58a550 this weekend, will check the IR burn in issues.
post #198 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM

FYI

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ and Wiki
http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/

post #199 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Triple confirmation directly from sales and marketing dep Samsung
PN series
450 - 550 will have only - Filter Bright, 20k to 1 contrast ratio, Ace Silhouette Editor, 18 bit video processor, black on the out side
the 650 or 750 both will have Ultra Filter Bright, 30k to 1 contrast ratio, Ace2 Silhouette Editor, same 18 bit video processor, Ethernet access, and with red on the out side..
and that transparent Opeg Color process Crap, is really nothing but a fancy way to say with red on the out side
post #200 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhard99 View Post

or... you can buy it from Amazon.com for $1849.00 (free shipping/no tax) and they have a very good return policy... That's $250 less than CC.

I've heard mixed experiences when buying a TV from Amazon.

I hear the guys the contract to deliver have been known to be less than professional in some cases.

And I'm unclear how the mechanics of returning an item this size work if I am not satisfied with the purchase.

But I *do* like paying less. is there a thread on delivery experiences somewhere here?
post #201 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 PM

CC will match ADC price. I downloaded the breakin dvd to my mac. I have not been able to figure out how to get it to work correctly. I made a dvd that plays, but it only does grays, no other colors. Does anyone know how to do this from a MAC so that it will work correctly?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...s/confused.gif

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #202 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Liked: 12
I also bought from amazon and have been keeping an eye on the price reductions. In fact there is site that will email you whenever the price drops. I'll post it here when I get home.
My TV is being delivered by CEVA and from what I've read around AVS they are pretty good. I looked up my tracking number on their web site and it even stated white glove.
post #203 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Liked: 12
The site that tracks the price drop is www.refundplease.com
post #204 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi alettiere. I'm not familiar with this model -as I spend more time on the Pioneer threads and will buy one soon. I do know that the theory I've read there about the break in dvd is that it should be used with the settings turned up, not down. The allows the break-in to happen quicker. If you are watching regular tvs or movies, then you should turn the settings down. This information might be discussed in other threads - but I know it's discussed in the Pioneer settings thread. I don't see any reason why the principal should be different for different sets.

Congratulations on yours.
post #205 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

BURN-IN IS FUD FROM PEOPLE WHO WANT TO SELL YOU LCDs!

Just use some common sense and your set will be fine!!!!!!

Patience has its rewards.
post #206 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Alettiere, I'm no expert. I've just gleaned what a technophobe who hangs out here for a couple of years can. I don't think there's a definitive answer about whether breaking in a plasma is necessary or not. There are people I respect on both sides of the issue. My theory is it can't hurt, other than shortening my panel's life by a week or so - and I probably won't keep it for 20 years anyway. So I'll use the dvd. Check out the pio settings thread for another perspective on how to use it. D-Nice (a contributor here with lots of information and a few inside contacts at Pioneer and Panasonic) introduced the idea of breaking in with the dvd and higher settings. He said the suggestion came from a Pioneer engineer.

I know there has been some concern with burn-in and image retention on Samsungs. This generation may have solved the problem. But my theory a little precaution can't hurt.

And HDPeeT, I swear I'm not trying to sell him or her an LCD.
post #207 of 5667 Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh no Vashti, that wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was towards people who say you should stay away from plasma because of burn-in. I just think that if you don't abuse your plasma you really don't have anything to worry about. If some salesman tries telling you that you should stay away from plasma because of burn-in they are either trying to sell you an LCD or they don't know what the hell they are talking about. Of course it's possible to hurt a plasma if you REALLY screw up and leave a bright image paused on screen for a week. Just use common sense people!

Patience has its rewards.
post #208 of 5667 Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 538
post #209 of 5667 Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhard99 View Post

I bought my Samsung PN50A550 on Sunday morning (4/13) from Amazon.com for $1,958.15 w/Free Shipping. Since then there have been 5 price drops totaling $108.17. I called Amazon each time and they refunded me the difference every time with no problems. I have 5 price adjustments/credits on my account. Amazon has a 30-day lowest price guarantee. Amazon also has a very good 30-day return policy where other on-line stores do not allow returns.

If you are looking to buy the PN50A550, I suggest you check out Amazon before you look anywhere else. The latest price drop was $20. The PN50A550 now sells for: $1,849.98 Free w/Shipping & NO TAX...

I wanted to share the wealth.. Good luck everyone!!!

The price may be nice, but then you gotta deal with the service. I purchased the 5880 from Amazon and I get an email saying they didn't have it in stock yet. Then a couple days later they get one in and start the shipping process. Well the TV took almost a week and a half to get to the hub in my area which is still 3 hours drive from where I live, and on the scheduled delivery date I called the transportation company and they tell me my TV has been stolen off their truck! I call Amazon and they tell me that they don't have anymore TV's in stock and in order for me to get that same TV again I had to wait for them to refund my money and place a whole new order. After all that I finally get my money back and then I just went and bought the PN58A550 from ClevelandPlasma brand new at a cheaper price than what Amazon was selling for the 5880. Last year I bought a sammy 4254 from Amazon and 3 weeks later it was broke!! They then had to send me a replacement after about an extra month of BS trying to get it fixed.

I HATE AMAZON AND THE SHIPPING COMPANYS THEY USE!
post #210 of 5667 Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 AM

anybody have any real good settings for the PN58A550? I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and I wanna start tweaking like a pro.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page