Samsung PN50A550 / PN58A550 Owners Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #211 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got an LCD TV from amazon recently, delivered by CEVA. Someone else was accepting the delivery.
When i came home, the person accepting gave me the story. The truck made a sharp u-turn rght by the building, and when the delivery morons opened the gate, the TV carton was lying on its side - flipped over!
I got this story AFTER i unpacked and set up the TV. So I did not bother to pack it back in and send it back to amazon, besides the TV was working no problems. It stll is fine.
Just saying Ceva is a bunch of morons. They did not even secure the carton in the truck.

I am expectng a delivery of 58a550 this weekend hopefully, by Ceva again, I will be personally present to accept and examine the TV.

Regarding the "TRIPPLE CONFIRMED" info from Samsung. I am kinda pissed that 550 only has 20k:1 contrast ratio, when all the docs clearly say 30K:1.
If i knew this, i would not have bought the 58a550, and would have waited a bit for the 650. A can of spray paint would have fixed the annoying "touch of red" feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafli690 View Post

anybody have any real good settings for the PN58A550? I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and I wanna start tweaking like a pro.

Have you tried the settings Cnet ended up with for the 50 incher?
post #213 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSam View Post

Have you tried the settings Cnet ended up with for the 50 incher?

Per that review...

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell light: 8
Contrast: 91
Brightness: 55
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G49/R51

Detailed settings submenu
Black adjust: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -2
Color space: Auto
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White balance submenu
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 29
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 23

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Auto
DNIe: [grayed out]
HDMI black level: [grayed out]
Film mode: [grayed out]
Blue only mode: Off

--Setup menu
Entertainment: Off
Energy saving: Off

post #214 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Here are the settings I have been using for the A550 through Directv H20-100 receiver using Component:

Picture menu:
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 10
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 0
Color: 40
Tint: G50, R50

Detailed Settings menu:
Black Adjust: High
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: -2
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: default (25)
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
XvYCC: off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Low
Film Mode: Off
post #215 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Well they just slashed the price on the FP-T5884 to close them out......

Wow, looks like a nice price on them Cleveland.. How do these compare to the 550's ? I'm about ready to 'pull the trigger' on a 58" Plasma..
Does the 5884's 'Ultra'FilterBrite work better than the 550's ?
post #216 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3216
Just about the same, except the 5884 has a 2 year warranty and the inputs are in the middle of the panel so wires can not be seen from the side Act Fast.
post #217 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM

I would pay extra $300 for the newer model though. The wires are not a problem, this TV has "wire manegement" features that lets you conceal the wires neatly behind it.
a500 has down firing speakers and thus is narrower than the older model.
post #218 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM

Liked: 12
It's been reduced again on Amazon. Anyone who wants to request a refund can also do it here online. They respond very quickly; within a few hours

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ay-and-gc.html
post #219 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM

I went to Sears to see if they would price match amazons price and they declined. I really wanted to get a good look at the set(PN50A550) but they didn't even have it in stock. I'm a little uneasy about buying a TV sight unseen. ANyone care to comment how amazing they think this set is?
post #220 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501 View Post

I went to Sears to see if they would price match amazons price and they declined. I really wanted to get a good look at the set(PN50A550) but they didn't even have it in stock. I'm a little uneasy about buying a TV sight unseen. ANyone care to comment how amazing they think this set is?

I seen the a550 next to one of the pioneer kuros, Im not sure on the settings, but they were both very nice, pio was obviously a little better. but the pio was also 2k more, once you get it home you won't notice a difference in pq and would be very happy, but i would check out some of the panasonic's as well, not that they are better or not, but check all your options

For those that have a a550 at home now, any hicups or any studdering or anything like that?
post #221 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copster30 View Post

It's been reduced again on Amazon. Anyone who wants to request a refund can also do it here online. They respond very quickly; within a few hours

If you look where it says "shipped and sold by:_____" It depends on who it says. For instance, I bought shipped from and sold by: Amazon.com on the 15th, for 2,906. And then later that day it went down to 2,824, still shipped from and sold by: Amazon.com so they refunded the difference via their 30 day price guarantee. BUT, then on the morning of the 16th, it went down to something like 2,600 shipped and sold by: some third party online company (potentially shady and untrusted) Those kind of sales are called Marketplace sales, where Amazon is simply a middle man to advertise that company's price. If you order a product that is shipped and sold by: Amazon.com, and then the price shows lower from a Marketplace item, they DO NOT refund you that difference. So you might save yourself a customer service phone call if you notice the lower price is from a different seller.

Hope that is helpful to at least one person.
post #222 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501 View Post

Love the set. When I first fired up the set, I was shocked with the PQ! I have no regrets with its performance.

Using Dish and PS3. PS3 standard and BD disks looks superb. I believe that one will only be nickle and dime-ing for a better picture quality. Also, you must consider the costs. I think this is a good price for the 58".

I would check one out though... seems like everyone has a different eye, etc.

Great performance with a competitive cost!
post #223 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know how to burn the break in DVD using a MAC?

Also CC did match the amazon price for me. I had to call two different ones though. The first said no, and the second said yes. One of the employees there told me it depends on the manager you talk to.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #224 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post

Does anyone know how to burn the break in DVD using a MAC?

If you have a SuperDrive:

Disk Utility -> Select ISO image downloaded (EA_BREAKIN_DVD.ISO, as an example) -> Click the Burn icon -> Insert blank DVD

voilÃ*!
post #225 of 5724 Old 04-17-2008, 08:09 PM

I've had my 50a550 for almost two weeks and I love it. I'm watching KingKong on TNT and can't believe how good it looks. I have had some of the discussed image retention, but it doesn't last. I must say that if it weren't for this website, I probably would have returned it out of sheer nervousness. I've also realized how futile it is to compare pq in a store...even though I thought my 550 looked good, it looks waaaay better with hdmi etc.

I bought mine at BB and talked the guy down to $1899 + tax and free delivery(was listed at $2199). Add an HDMI cable, and my final cost was $2062. Most guys will work with you, but I was amazed that BB was the most aggressive (they are not on commission like CC and others). Being in sales myself, most of the time all you have to do is ask. My wife hates it but can't argue with results.
post #226 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 AM

I tried that and all it does it white to gray. It never changes to any other colors. Maybe I didn't leave it up long enough. Anyone know how long it goes on each color scheme, before it changes to another one?

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #227 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post

I tried that and all it does it white to gray. It never changes to any other colors. Maybe I didn't leave it up long enough. Anyone know how long it goes on each color scheme, before it changes to another one?

You did not leave it long enough, that is how it starts.
post #228 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Planning my future purchase LN52A550, I have already purchased
a tilt mount from monoprice item # 3900. However I’d like to order a swiveling one. Monoprice confirmed using # 3725 which will fit LN52A550.
Any advice or input on those mounts or any other brand without paying a hefty price?
Thanks
post #229 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks, I'll try it again.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #230 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafli690 View Post

I HATE AMAZON AND THE SHIPPING COMPANYS THEY USE!

My PN50A550 arrived this morning with no problems. I ordered it from Amazon on Sunday and got a call yesterday afternoon from CEVA asking to set up a delivery time that day. Since I wasn't going to be home we set up the delivery for this morning before I left for work. They called me at 7:00 a.m. to say they were 15 minutes away. I had it in my living room by 7:30 a.m. NO PROBLEMS. The CEVA guy was very nice and helpful.

-------------------------

ALWAYS use PriceProtectr.com to track your prices...
post #231 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...ay-and-gc.html

YUP!! It dropped another $30.... The PN50A550 is now: $1,819.98 Free Shipping at Amazon!!

I called and got my sixth refund in 6 days totaling: $168

==============================================

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing to confirm that we have processed your refund for USD
for the above-referenced order.

For more information on how we calculate refunds, please visit our
web site at http://www.amazon.com/refunds

We hope this is a satisfactory resolution for you. However, if you
have any questions or concerns, please use this link to contact
Customer Service:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contac...d-refunds.html

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

==============================================

post #232 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I also bought from amazon and have been keeping an eye on the price reductions. In fact there is site that will email you whenever the price drops. I'll post it here when I get home.

Quote:

The site that tracks the price drop is www.refundplease.com

I've had MUCH BETTER luck using:

PriceProtectr.com

In fact I've been using both to track the price of the PN50A550 at Amazon. I've received an e-mail from PriceProtectr every time the price dropped and NONE (not one) from refundplease...

post #233 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSam View Post

I am kinda pissed that 550 only has 20k:1 contrast ratio, when all the docs clearly say 30K:1.
If i knew this, i would not have bought the 58a550, and would have waited a bit for the 650. A can of spray paint would have fixed the annoying "touch of red" feature.

I don't get peoples' obsession with contrast ratio. It is MEANINGLESS. Human vision is good for 600:1 to 800:1 depending on the source. A contrast ratio of 20,000:1 will melt your eyeballs (or at least induce severe fatigue or headache). Trust me, you do NOT want to watch a TV with a 20,000:1 contrast ratio.

What you do want to watch is a TV with black blacks. If you were to measure 0 fL for black, the contrast ratio would be infinity. Contrast ratio specs tell you NOTHING about how good the black level is. In fact, plasma manufacturers LIE to make contrast ratio look good/high. They will use a TINY little white square to measure 100% white because the larger the screen area that is producing white, the lower the luminance. I measured a FANTASTIC plasma at 18 fL for a full-screen 100% white, 50 fL for a window area about 10% of the screen, and 90 fL for a teeny little white square about 3% of the area of the screen. This is typical for plasmas. Some manufacturers measure black when the screen is blanked (no image at all) so you don't even get the grayish black that is there when an image is being displayed. All this is done to fool YOU into thinking the contrast ratio is really really high.

All you want is a video display that can be set to around 25-30 fL for a 100% white window and it has relatively good black levels. (assuming you are watching in a dark room - which is the whole point of being a home theater enthusiast). That means you will be turning the Contrast control WAY down below the peak level and getting the overall contrast ratio probably lower than 2000:1 and perhaps close to 1000:1 in the case of these displays where black is really a very dark gray and not completely black. So you'll never see or want a 20,000:1 contrast ratio.

What we all really want is a display that's 25-30 fL for 100% white with blacks that measure right at Zero fL. That's an infinity contrast ratio, but the peak white level still won't kill you. Since there aren't any displays (yet) that produce Zero fL for black, we have to live with some higher level. Once Zero fL blacks become commonplace, contrast ratio will disappear as a spec since it won't really make any sense.
post #234 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM

ordered my PN50a550s from Amazon on Wednesday for $1849.98...already received a $30 rebate for the recent price drop. I am very nervous about how the delivery will go (condition and timing). I shopped for...well, let's just say too long. Mostly b/n this and the FPT5084.

This site has been great. I will be sure to jump on and talk about how things went with CEVA and Amazon after i get everything set up.

One question...from what i have read, there is no need to buy a high quality/high priced HDMI cable...but can you buy one that's too cheap? How can i tell the difference?
I dont have a PS3 yet (waiting for my ten yr old to get straight A's), but will hopefully soon. even if it means i do his homework for him. its going to be strictly DirecTV HD and DVD upconvert
post #235 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etw926 View Post

I have not had any of the IR issues that you mention.

What are the chance of the panel I have being the only one that has image retention? Or of the panel you have being the only one that doesn't have image retention?

Just put something up on the screen for a minute or 2 then enable the Scrolling mode in the Scree Burn Protection menu and watch as the scroll moves across the screen revealing the retained image - all these panels do it, and it doesn't take very long at all. You can't usually see it through a moving image unless it gets very bad. But the fact is, image retention starts at less than 1 minute and only gets worse the longer the image remains on the screen. The damn History channel HD logo stays in the same spot for LONG periods of time - unconscionable in this day and age.
post #236 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Now that I have my TV and I just ordered the $5 HDMI cables through Amazon, I need a surge protector.

---What is everyone using?

---What do you recommend?

---What do I look for in a surge protector?

---What brands are best??

---How much should I spend?? How much to too much $$$ ??

post #237 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdb View Post

What are the chance of the panel I have being the only one that has image retention? Or of the panel you have being the only one that doesn't have image retention?

I guess the chances are pretty good since I have never had this problem, and that includes the last plasma that I had. If there was any IR it stayed there about 5 seconds.

I did the scrolling thing the other day to see what it looked like, and I did not see any IR.
post #238 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhard99 View Post

I've had MUCH BETTER luck using:

PriceProtectr.com

In fact I've been using both to track the price of the PN50A550 at Amazon. I've received an e-mail from PriceProtectr every time the price dropped and NONE (not one) from refundplease...

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I just realised this myself since I also have not received ONE mail from them. Will sign up with PriceProtectr
post #239 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post

One question...from what i have read, there is no need to buy a high quality/high priced HDMI cable...but can you buy one that's too cheap? How can i tell the difference?
I dont have a PS3 yet (waiting for my ten yr old to get straight A's), but will hopefully soon. even if it means i do his homework for him. its going to be strictly DirecTV HD and DVD upconvert

I always order $5-10 cables off eBay and have never had an issue. Always excellent quality.
post #240 of 5724 Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 PM

there's no such thing as a cheap HDMI cable, becaus u know why? it's digital.

1s and 0s. It's not analog, so double diamond studded cable isn't going to be dfiferent than regular cables.

Dont be fool into paying for a $60 monster hdmi cable. EVER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page