OTA reception - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am "Over the Air Only" and I own a Sanyo HDTV and a Phillips 160 GB HDD DVD recorder.

The Phillips picks up all local digital signals no problem. The Sanyo TV has reception problems with some channels and I end up not watching in HD. So I have come to the conclusion that all tuners are not created equal.

I have done a lot of research online and looked at sets in stores.

All things being equal in the OTA reception category, I would pick the Panasonic 50" px80u. The price range, size, etc seems to fit my needs, but I read in the px80u thread that the reception capabilities are suspect.

OTA reception is important enough of a feature that I would even sacrifice some PQ for excellent reception.

My request is that if any of you notice that your set is particularly good or bad at OTA reception, could you comment.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post

I am "Over the Air Only" and I own a Sanyo HDTV and a Phillips 160 GB HDD DVD recorder.

The Phillips picks up all local digital signals no problem. The Sanyo TV has reception problems with some channels and I end up not watching in HD. So I have come to the conclusion that all tuners are not created equal.

I have done a lot of research online and looked at sets in stores.

All things being equal in the OTA reception category, I would pick the Panasonic 50" px80u. The price range, size, etc seems to fit my needs, but I read in the px80u thread that the reception capabilities are suspect.

OTA reception is important enough of a feature that I would even sacrifice some PQ for excellent reception.

My request is that if any of you notice that your set is particularly good or bad at OTA reception, could you comment.

Thanks

I had a Sony 42E2000 and Sony 60A2000 hooked up to a regular Terk antenna and received excellent reception over the air. My current Panny
42PX80U's Tuner does ok on a couple of my local channels however on a couple of channels...there is alot of break up. I know it is not my antenna however since it worked fine with my Sony televisions. Maybe another antenna may help the Panny's Tuner more than the one I have now. I am hoping once I move into my townhouse and out of my second floor apt, I will not have this problem however I have seen a couple of other posts questioning the tuner in these sets.

I do have cable, however, this set will eventually go into my bedroom so OTA is a must for me. Hopefully, this is a situation due to my location in my second floor apt and one that will improve once the television is free from interference it may be encountering. There are also alot of trees to the rear of my apt which is where I am situated in the building.

"You know Andy....I never thought our town would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger.

Barney Fife
post #3 of 6 Old 03-28-2008, 04:38 AM

Based on my own (limited) experience, my Sony CRT TV did much better than the my Panny CRT TV in pulling in OTA stations.

For plasma: my Pio (1140HD) can pull in local HD stations throu Cox regular (not HD) cable, while the Panny 50PX600U cannot.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 AM

My Insignia set (go ahead, bring it on ) made with LG internals has great OTA pickup. Scarily enough, I have a no-name ATSC tuner card with the Phillips 713x BDA drivers in my PC running SnapStream pumping out 1280X768 via VGA to the set and it looks BETTER than the on-board ATSC tuner. I have a yaggi style antenna in my garage crawlspace. In the western DC suburbs (Leesburg) I can pick up all of the majors (NBC, ABC, CBS, CW, UPN, Fox, PBS) and a few others. It's great! Since PBS multicasts here, only the main station is broadcast in HD. All the others are in SD at 480i. The LG scaler does a great job of makinig those images look really clear.

I may have to invest in that Blu-Ray DVD player for my PC now...
post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey herr, I bought the Insignia NS-PDP50 a few days ago and you are correct. The tuner reception on this tv is outstanding and all my local stations are coming in strong.

Thanks for the input.

I was in BestBuy last week and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, sales price plus 12% discount. That left me with enough money left over to buy a playstation3. All I can say is that bluray and high def stations look marvelous.

I will give a review in a couple of weeks.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic all have "excellent" OTA HD tunning capabilities. I have owned and used all three (currently have 85U Panasonic). If the signal is there in the air, those tuners will get it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page