Input lag amongst top-tier sets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 82 Old 04-14-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I'm a new member to the forums but after reading all I could I still have a few questions. I won't get into the amount of time I spend playing halo3 and tekken competitively, but I will however say it's enough that I'm about to throw my samsung 4665f out the window along with the sharp 32 inch set I have currently in my dorm. The input lag is, while faintly noticeable, absolutely unbearable.

After reading into the problem I feel I have a decent grasp, but was left baffled after my latest venture to best buy. When all the TVs were playing the same demo feed, I was able to notice a difference in scene change between the panasonic 85u that would occur apprx. 1/4 second before the samsung 4665f by its side. This is obviously quite a significant difference. However, the samsung plasma set that was on the opposite side of the panasonic seemed to be just as far behind. This entire time, I've been under the impression that the difference in technology alone Plasma VS. LCD has been what lowers the input lag in plasmas compared to LCDs.

This raises my big question. Which manufactures are most closely associated with minimal lag? With increasingly more powerful sets (Kuro, for example) do you tend to see a higher measure of lag because of the added image processing / or do you see a lower lag because of the quality of the processor? Has there been any sort of trend of increasing or decreasing lag over the years among plasmas that would lead you to believe the 9G Kuros will be even lower than the years prior, or will the gains in display quality only create a worse situation for serious gamers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 12:06 AM

i'm in the same boat as you...have a samsung DLP and the lag is anywhere from 45ms-55ms and its what is driving me to get a new tv...i'm looking at the Panasonic TH-50PZ85U right now...

...but i have the same question...what brands or types of sets have the least input lag?!
post #3 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 AM

while I can't answer your question, most the plamas i've seen have a game mode to reduce delay. when comparing 2 sets make sure they both have this on
post #4 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung DLPs are known to be the worst offenders for input lag, I wouldn't even consider buying one of the those sets if I was planning to use it for gaming. All digital displays (Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCOS etc.) lag to some degree compared to an analog CRT monitor. I would really like to see professional reviewers figure out a way to measure the input lag on the TVs they are reviewing. Gaming is a very big part of HDTV these days and gamers deserve to know if a TV they are spending thousands of dollars on is going to get them fragged to death because it lags like a f&^)ing dial-up connection.

Patience has its rewards.
post #5 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veri7as View Post

i'm in the same boat as you...have a samsung DLP and the lag is anywhere from 45ms-55ms and its what is driving me to get a new tv...i'm looking at the Panasonic TH-50PZ85U right now...

...but i have the same question...what brands or types of sets have the least input lag?!

I don't know about brands but plasmas are faster then LCDs.
post #6 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is a very old thread, but it can get you started in the right direction.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558125

Unfortunately I've never really found a site or forum where people have objectively measured input lag for lots of different TVs. It's just not a well-understood issue and frankly most people don't even know there is such a thing.

For what little it's worth, I went from a Dell 2405FPW computer monitor (one of the worst offenders in input lag history) to a Panny TH-42PZ700U and the difference is like night and day. I can even play Gradius V now, something that was previously impossible for me. However I am not very good at fighting games nor do I play them very much so I can't really tell you if Soul Calibur II and III are any better for me, I still suck at them even if there is less input lag now than before.
post #7 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 AM

I used to game on a Mistubishi rear projector and it had a little bit of lag that was noticable when playing guitar hero. I switched to a panasonic plasma over the weekend and am having no issues whatsoever with input lag. From what I recall, plasmas have less lag than lcds which have less lag than dlps. The lag is related to the amount of processing that goes on to clean up the image before presenting it on screen. If the tv has a game mode which turns this processing off, then I would do that before trying out a set. Most stores will let you bring in your game system and try it out against one of their floor models. Just pick an off time when they aren't so busy and they will help you out.

Gaming doesn't kill people! Crazy, pent up, overly agressive, repressed, gun wielding people kill people.

PSN ID: Mbrodie617
post #8 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

hdtvlag.googlepages.kom/home (please replace the "k" in .kom with a "c")

Thanks for the help so far guys. I know plasmas are supposed to lag less than LCDs and LCDs less than DLP, and I know game mode lowers total information required to process. I found the link above in your post Faceless Rebel and it has been very helpful thus far. The only thing is I wish it would have tested more high end models

Another question: I keep hearing people say that using a VGA connection will reduce lag over component and HDMI, but I can't for the life of me seem to find an explanation as to why. Is there any truth to this (IE - any sort of tests like the one in the link above comparing VGA and alternate inputs). I understand how it may help when using a Kuro 5080 or another TV with an obscure resolution (768p??) but other than that I'm dumbfounded. Also, is it assumed that most televisions' processors are more competent than, say, an Xbox 360's... meaning if a games actual resolution is 720p and I'm playing on a 1080p screen would it be best to output the game in 720p and let the TV scale it to 1080p, or should I set the system to output 1080p and rely on the system to convert from 720p to 1080p? (regarding lag, not image quality, of course)
post #9 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM

I've heard a few times that the Panasonic plasmas are very good in terms of having low input lag, based on different people's impressions (though I haven't seen any hard numbers to back that up). And this year's models have a Game Mode to make things even faster, which previous models didn't.

Quote:

Also, is it assumed that most televisions' processors are more competent than, say, an Xbox 360's... meaning if a games actual resolution is 720p and I'm playing on a 1080p screen would it be best to output the game in 720p and let the TV scale it to 1080p, or should I set the system to output 1080p and rely on the system to convert from 720p to 1080p?

I wouldn't make that assumption. I'd venture to guess that in terms of speed, the 360's scaler is probably better, since most TV manufacturers aren't particularly concerned about speed (if they were, input lag wouldn't be such a widespread problem in the first place), whereas that's going to be probably the foremost concern for a console manufacturer. Also, many TVs have lousy scalers in terms of quality. Upscaling sources typically do a better job than TVs.
post #10 of 82 Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
being a big guitar hero player, i can not have any lag whatsoever...

my parents panasonic 50px60u (the 720p model) has zero lag if plugged directly in via composite cables (on ps2)

running xbox360 via hdmi also has no lag.
post #11 of 82 Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

bump?
post #12 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You should take your game console into a store and try it out on the TVs they have on display.

post #13 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Input lag is worst when scaling 480i so if you bring a last-gen console or a Wii that is the best way to see the worst-case scenario. Most TVs which have bad input lag in 480i will often have much less input lag in 720p or 1080i/p.
post #14 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, OK. So I tried the laptop to S-video test on that hdtvlag.googlepages.com/home site and unfortunately I think I did something wrong. Unless scalers in HDTVs have magically become instantaneous, there is something wrong with the way I conducted this test. The laptop is plugged into the front S-video input on my Panny TH-42PZ700U, and well, here is the (likely incorrect) result. I don't know how to make the test work correctly.

post #15 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 AM

Faceless Rebel,

There may not be anything wrong with your test at all:

A) The Pannies are really fast at scaling and deinterlacing (BOTH of which it has to do over S-video).

B) There's only 30 frames per second being sent, so if your Panny is fast enough to show each frame before the next frame comes in most of the time, it's going to be in sync with the other display, even if it were marginally slower (which, btw, means that there's a point where input lag stops mattering at all).

However, there's also a possibility that the notebook's LCD itself has some lag. If you want to test against a definitely lagless display, get an S-video splitter from Radio Shack or somewhere, and split the signal between the Panny and an SDTV CRT, if you have one.
post #16 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Oh, some more tips:

Take at least ten pictures of the timer running, and average the difference.

Also, if it's difficult for you to get an SDTV CRT next to the plasma to test them at the same time, you can first test your notebook's LCD against a CRT to find out if your notebook LCD has any lag, and then compare the notebook LCD against the plasma.
post #17 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM

My god, faceless rebel, you should have taken into account that the LCD screen of your laptop has indeed some lag because of its nature

Comparison must be done with a CRT monitor at the highest frequenzy available.
post #18 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviii View Post

My god, faceless rebel, you should have taken into account that the LCD screen of your laptop has indeed some lag because of its nature

^^ This is true. I used a timer in Clone mode to determine lag on my LCD, Ill have to try it with my Pio 5080.

Sony FW900 CRT on the left, NEC 20WMGX2 LCD on the right (33ms lag):
post #19 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM

Daviii:
Quote:

Disagree. A high-frequency CRT monitor isn't a fair comparison to an HDTV when figuring out how much lag there is. The monitor is likely to show the timer ahead just because it gets more frames per second than the TV, rather than because of actual lag.

What RogerMo wants to know is, how much lag will the HDTV introduce into his console gaming. For that, the relevant comparison is to a standard-definition CRT television. The ideal test would be to split the same 480i S-video or composite signal between the HDTV and the CRT, and photograph them side by side.
post #20 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea I didnt catch the frequency part of his comment, in my test above I was using Clone mode with both monitors at 60hz. (you cant run differant refresh rates per monitor during a clone anyhow).
post #21 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 AM

And btw, there's a good chance that your notebook LCD doesn't have any lag to speak of, and that the Panny, therefore, is effectively lagless as well. Built-in notebook LCDs can be quite a bit faster than your typical external LCD monitor.

In the googlepages hdtv lag tests that you linked to, the guy starts by testing his notebook LCD against a CRT TV. Look here: http://hdtvlag.googlepages.com/ourtest

As you can see, the test confirms that his notebook screen has no lag (or at least so little that it doesn't show up in the measurement), making it suitable as a baseline to test against the different HDTVs.
post #22 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

^^ This is true. I used a timer in Clone mode to determine lag on my LCD, Ill have to try it with my Pio 5080.

Sony FW900 CRT on the left, NEC 20WMGX2 LCD on the right (33ms lag):

YES YES YES please let us know the results Mathesar, these are the kind of test we've been waiting for!

Many thanks!

post #23 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 02:39 PM

I just purchased the TH-50PZ85U . The main use for the plasma is gaming on the 360. My biggest concern when purchasing a display was to eliminate any lag in the video being displayed. From what I've read so far Plasmas have the least amount of lag.

I am concerned about burn in (gaming) and the amount of glare (lots of sun light in the room).

Why did I choose this Panisonic? Well we have the 110 inch version at work and I love it(No, you can't come play Halo 3 on it). I purchased a Pani for my Mother and love it. The other was the positive reviews here on the board. Pani seems to have it right with the plasmas.

Other displays I considered are the Philips 47PFL7403D/27 and Samsung LN46A550. The main reason I didn't get these displays is that they are LCD (video lag). Other reasons: Philips is selling off its LCD line which didn't make me any more comfortable buying their newest unreviewed untested displays. The philips has an edge with the 2ms response but by all accounts the Samsung is a superior picture and build quality.

Maybe I'm missing it but there should be a sticky in the LCD and plasma for best gaming display. I would love a serious in depth conversation regarding this. Something I should note is I always ask the top ranked people in a game what display they have. It is all over the place with many playing on 8ms Westinghouse and Vizio displays.

Currently I play on a PT-AX100u Panisonic projector. Its great on a 110 inch widescreen but I'm looking for something sharper. I'm also not interested in replacing bulbs every year or so. I'll keep it but use it for what its made for, movies.

I'm by no means an expert so please be kind when correcting any errors I've made. Hell, I'd be grateful to anyone who proves me wrong and points me in the proper direction. My goal is only to find the best gaming display in the 47-50 inch range.
post #24 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deuce View Post

Daviii:

Disagree. A high-frequency CRT monitor isn't a fair comparison to an HDTV when figuring out how much lag there is. The monitor is likely to show the timer ahead just because it gets more frames per second than the TV, rather than because of actual lag.

I'll agree with you on that. But in practice, because of the blurred final digit on the Plasma screen counter being "stuck in limbo", after many trials you could gain a very accurate test that would exclude possible LCD lag and replace it with a potentially less troublesome variable. No?

Faceless Rebel, Wow. That's a truly impressive picture you have there and an even more impressive set within it. I can't tell you how helpful that is as I'm trying to weigh the alleged lower phosphorus trails of the Kuro (am I correct in thinking this?) against the benefits of the Panasonic. Mathesar, another helpful picture and it seems you've found a better clock as well. My favorite part is the Virtually Jenna icon on your desktop though lmao
post #25 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well unfortunately when outputting PC to my 5080 (HDMI) the TV disables a lot of user adjustments and I only have access to Standard or User video modes.. I couldn't enable the most important "Game Control Pref" setting (found under the Option setting from the home menu) which reduces input lag when playing PS3 / 360 / Wii etc. When using PC this Option selection is missing from the home menu altogether.. so my results arent what you'll experiance with gaming consoles but rather a worst case scenario instead.

I ran the test with the 5080 set at its native resolution and refresh, and had the CRT cloned (same res and refresh)

I took several shots and the average lag seems to be in the high 20's / low 30's but keep in mind this is with Game control pref DISABLED:

Worst lag recorded from the several shots = 49ms:

Least amount of lag = 12ms:

I know for a fact enabling Game mode reduces lag because I can feel the difference when toggling it off / on while playing racing games such as Forza 2. This is my first plasma and ive been gaming on CRT's for years, I can honestly tell you as long as game mode is enabled you wont have any problems with input lag, at least not on the 5080.

On another note PC looks BEAUTIFUL on the 5080

P.S. This is the option thats missing when using PC:

post #26 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mathesar, I'm pretty sure I'm your new number one fan. I can't tell you how helpful you've been and I greatly appreciate the time you've spent to come up with this information. So is game mode only able to be toggled on/off when using an HDMI input? I keep hearing to get a VGA input for my 360 to lower the lag (probably negligible) but based off your words I think I'll be skipping that step. Thanks again.
post #27 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMo View Post

Mathesar, I'm pretty sure I'm your new number one fan. I can't tell you how helpful you've been and I greatly appreciate the time you've spent to come up with this information. So is game mode only able to be toggled on/off when using an HDMI input? I keep hearing to get a VGA input for my 360 to lower the lag (probably negligible) but based off your words I think I'll be skipping that step. Thanks again.

Ack I goofed on that one, the Game control pref mode is accessible when using Component as well, I just tested it with my Wii before posting so you dont have to be using HDMI to use it. I've edited my post accordingly.

I don't think using VGA would help lag issues in fact it will just make it worse from the whole analog to digital conversion ..plus Game mode isn't accessible when using VGA (at least on the 5080)

Ive tried VGA with my PC and 360 and I could actually feel the input lag when moving the mouse pointer around, also the picture quality wasnt quite as sharp with 360 or PC compared to using HDMI.
post #28 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, OK. I'm still using the timecode thing but it would appear as if I would get more accurate results with this VSWPro thing that Mathesar is using.

Anyways, the laptop is now outputting simultaneously to an old Hitachi 21" CRT computer monitor I've got sitting in a corner gathering dust via VGA D-sub and to the Panny via S-video. The CRT was set to 85hz refresh rate, with dual-display clone at 1024x768 resolution. I don't have a CRT SDTV nor do I have an S-video output splitter, so this is as good as it will get except for the fact that I would like to try this VSWPro thing. I'll Google for it, but first, here is a result with the CRT monitor and the TV.

This is the worst case picture I could get, many times the TV and the monitor were showing exactly the same thing. I think VSWPro will help me get a much more accurate result than this timecode video.
post #29 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deuce View Post

What RogerMo wants to know is, how much lag will the HDTV introduce into his console gaming. For that, the relevant comparison is to a standard-definition CRT television. The ideal test would be to split the same 480i S-video or composite signal between the HDTV and the CRT, and photograph them side by side.

Didn't someone say Any HDTV scaling 480i content will cause it extra lag than it would scaling 720/1080i content?

I'd do that test if I knew it would be accurate.
post #30 of 82 Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, scaling 480i is always inherently slower than scaling 720p or 1080i because it requires both a deinterlacing step and a scaling step. 720p requires only scaling, and 1080i requires only deinterlacing on a 1080p set. Anyways, here is what I got with VSWPro, same setup as before.

Worst case = ~30ms

The best case I found was ~20ms. All the shots I took were between 20-30ms, so the Panny is consistent in the amount of input lag it introduces.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays