Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2470 Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

What is "everything"?

The only time I use a DVD during calibration is for checking inputs that have already been calibrated with a signal generator and as part of the final check of the calibration (view clips from 2 specific DVDs I carry to insure image quality is on the money).

Not sure why you specified "DVD" and not any other equipment he had/used since using a DVD is maybe 5% of the whole calibration process, especially if there are HD sources.

Did he have a light meter? A signal generator? Was he an independent calibrator or was he a Best Buy employee (some are OK, some are not re. calibration)?

Sorry I should have been clearer. He used a signal generator outputtin VIA DVI -> HDMI. Apparently the unit cost $5000. The calibration was done with the signal generator initially and then verified/tweaked with DVDs. It was an independent calibrator ISF/THX certified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2470 Old 05-28-2008, 05:12 PM

elway, what do you have your video output settings set to in your PS3?

Im looking for this info for my 50pz85u

PS3 Recommended Settings:

From PS3 Settings->Display settings menu:

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White: On/Off (Allows blacker than black and whiter than whites to be passed)

RGB Full Range: Limited/Full (May be grayed out if using automatic above.) [Full is other choice]

PS3 Settings->BD/DVD Settings(Note you can also adjust this while watching a movie by using the triangle button and going to the AV Display settings icon)

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HMDI): Automatic/RGB/Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr

TV Settings:
Detailed Settings:
--- xvYCC: Off/On

Picture Options:
--- HDMI Black Level: Low

There might be more settings, but those are what i'm looking for, all the video settings in the PS3 for this tv. Thanks!
post #273 of 2470 Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 PM

I dont have the PS3 anymore, but I did a good bit of reading and here is what I used:

I used y pb/cb pr/cr (not rgb) and had super white on

xvycc off
black level LOW
post #274 of 2470 Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 PM

edit: nevermind
post #275 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 AM

OK - just had my 46PZ85 professionally calibrated by Bill Hergonson of Coast Calibration (San Diego/Orange County area). Per Bill's report, after calibration peak white APL was 38.09ftL with a Gamma Average of 2.24. After service menu adjustments, panel settings are as follows:

Picture Mode: Custom
Picture: +74
Brightness: +53
Color: +54
Tint: -2
Sharpness: +14
Color Temp: Normal
Black Level: Light
Size: 2 when possible
All other settings: Off

The Custom PM setting does not exhibit the noise referred to in many of the previous post, possibly due to the Service Menu Adjustments. We did notice that component inputs (initially used only with Cox Cable's STB) exhibited noisy high frequency resolution - so HDMI connections were then used for all inputs (STB, PS3 and Apple TV). Passed all noise frequency tests with the digital connections. Bottom line: very pleased with the picture, especially from high quality signal sources (PS3 BD). Can certainly recommend Bill and Coast Calibration if your in the So Cal area.
post #276 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by savet0night View Post

Sorry I should have been clearer. He used a signal generator outputtin VIA DVI -> HDMI. Apparently the unit cost $5000. The calibration was done with the signal generator initially and then verified/tweaked with DVDs. It was an independent calibrator ISF/THX certified.

Hmmmmm... then I'm kind of surprised with those settings. Not saying they aren't right, it's just that some of them aren't in the range I find most of these panels in. And I would use Cinema mode, not Custom. These panels don't end up with the same settings, but they do tend to be grouped together. Perhaps the differences are all from using Custom mode instead of Cinema... I've never tried that for a "regular" theater-room calibration.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #277 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalsh View Post

OK - just had my 46PZ85 professionally calibrated by Bill Hergonson of Coast Calibration (San Diego/Orange County area). Per Bill's report, after calibration peak white APL was 38.09ftL with a Gamma Average of 2.24. After service menu adjustments, panel settings are as follows:

The Custom PM setting does not exhibit the noise referred to in many of the previous post, possibly due to the Service Menu Adjustments. We did notice that component inputs (initially used only with Cox Cable's STB) exhibited noisy high frequency resolution - so HDMI connections were then used for all inputs (STB, PS3 and Apple TV). Passed all noise frequency tests with the digital connections. Bottom line: very pleased with the picture, especially from high quality signal sources (PS3 BD). Can certainly recommend Bill and Coast Calibration if your in the So Cal area.

gwalsh, did you do the 100 hr break in period before getting it calibrated? Thanks.
post #278 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

gwalsh, did you do the 100 hr break in period before getting it calibrated? Thanks.

Yes - used a combination of break-in DVD and HD viewing of full screen content with all settings at +50 or below for the first 100 hours. Absolutely no IR noticed to date, and PQ just keeps getting better as time goes by. The investment in professional calibration was absolutely worth it.
post #279 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes - used a combination of break-in DVD and HD viewing of full screen content with all settings at +50 or below for the first 100 hours. Absolutely no IR noticed to date, and PQ just keeps getting better as time goes by. The investment in professional calibration was absolutely worth it.

What break in dvd did you use and where did you get it from?
post #280 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Both are in advanced; hit menu, go down to the picture setting then down below "sharpness" then all the way to the bottom of page 2 to "advanced picture" then enter. You'll find both the black level setting and the size setting. Remember, the size setting only applies to hi-def sources. Size 2 gives the best picture but it's not always usable; sometimes you'll get a line on the left, right, top or bottom of the screen and you'll want to switch back to size 1.

This seems ridiculous to me. How do people put up with this? I just feel like size 2 (which is full HD and not zoomed like size 1) should work on every HD channel/source. Period. I couldn't imagine having to switch it from size 2 to size 1 just so I could change the channel from ESPN to NBC and not get a line on the top of my screen. Is this problem caused by the TV's upconversion to 1080p from a 1080i or 720p source?

I have a samsung 5053 (720p/1080i) right now. Granted, it has its problems, but switching between size 1 & 2 based upon what HD channel I am watching is not one of them.

Is this whole size 1 vs 2 thing crazy to anybody else? Why would anybody ever have to watch a zoomed in picture (size 1) on a 1080p TV?

Kuro'd
post #281 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I dont have the PS3 anymore, but I did a good bit of reading and here is what I used:

I used y pb/cb pr/cr (not rgb) and had super white on

xvycc off
black level LOW

Thanks! I will try those out.
post #282 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedOne View Post

This seems ridiculous to me. How do people put up with this? I just feel like size 2 (which is full HD and not zoomed like size 1) should work on every HD channel/source. Period. I couldn't imagine having to switch it from size 2 to size 1 just so I could change the channel from ESPN to NBC and not get a line on the top of my screen. Is this problem caused by the TV's upconversion to 1080p from a 1080i or 720p source?

I have a samsung 5053 (720p/1080i) right now. Granted, it has its problems, but switching between size 1 & 2 based upon what HD channel I am watching is not one of them.

Is this whole size 1 vs 2 thing crazy to anybody else? Why would anybody ever have to watch a zoomed in picture (size 1) on a 1080p TV?

it is up to the station broadcast. i heard somewhere that they drop one column and one row out of their broadcasts. i dont know why or if i am even right but that is what i see when i switch to hd 2 i see a yellow line on the left side and at the bottom on espn hd
post #283 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

What break in dvd did you use and where did you get it from?

Rob, I used Angelides Plasma Break-in DVD. You can easily find his site on the forum to download or purchase the DVD.
post #284 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Hmmmmm... then I'm kind of surprised with those settings. Not saying they aren't right, it's just that some of them aren't in the range I find most of these panels in. And I would use Cinema mode, not Custom. These panels don't end up with the same settings, but they do tend to be grouped together. Perhaps the differences are all from using Custom mode instead of Cinema... I've never tried that for a "regular" theater-room calibration.

He agreed to come back and re-calibrate using Cinema mode this time. I'll post the results. Do you still recommend cinema mode in a bright room?
post #285 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

I just got a TH-42PZ85U and I popped in Halo 3 to check it out real quick, anyways I looked up at the sky in the first level and I saw banding. Is this common on this model? Is it just the game or do I possibly have a defective set, Vegas 2 didn't have it at a glance but the lighting on it is nowhere as intense as Halo.

Also I'm a convert from LCD (XV540U) to Plasma (TH-42PZ85U), however I still see some motion blur (in games) nothing as bad as even a 120Hz LCD but still some blur, is there settings I should watch out for with this set that will reduce that or should I just be happy I don't have LCDish blur anymore?

The main concern is the banding though.

Thanks!
post #286 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi, new to the board, picked up 10 days ago a TH46PZ80U, I had on vivid for a while but after reading some of the posts here I tried some of the settings from the 85z looks better than Panasonic setting.

I sit 12 ft from the tv, in the back of my tv there is a patio door and a window, the sun only gets in here till 10:00am but I can close the verticals so light does not interfere with my viewing.
Can some one give me the settings for this tv, also some you have set the HD size to 2, but mine is shaded an set to 1 and cannot change is there a way.

I am presently connected to Cable with some Hd channels and its connected with component wires and also HDMI but I watching more through HDMI. TIA

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PREVIOUSLY:    TH46PZ80
PS3 80G
IR 2 BT RE-BL
DENON AVR1910
FIBETV MOTOROLA VIP-1232
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakers
KLIPSCH SUBWOOFER KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1
kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1
HARMONY ONE

post #287 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi there your setting looks very good with my th46pz80u and love it, I had my tv for only 2 weeks can I leave it with setting now or wait until I reach 100 hours? and is there to find out how many hours we already consumed?
Thanks for posting your setting I love it.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #288 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

Hi there your setting looks very good with my th46pz80u and love it, I had my tv for only 2 weeks can I leave it with setting now or wait until I reach 100 hours? and is there to find out how many hours we already consumed?
Thanks for posting your setting I love it.

Tom H. and others have posted how to find hours used on the panel from the service menu, do a search and find the post. To access service menu hold volume- on set and hit INFO 3x on remote. Scroll down to find time used on panel, but be careful not to change any of the settings. I would personally stay out of the SM and estimate your use over the 2 week period. The 100 hour benchmark is a rule of thumb, not an absolute. Understand the panel settings I'm using were determined after internal calibration and adjustments through the service menu. 2 weeks of average viewing should get you to about 60 hours (4 hrs/day). I'm guessing, but doubt you would hurt the panel at all with these settings after a two week break-in.
post #289 of 2470 Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tom H. and others have posted how to find hours used on the panel from the service menu, do a search and find the post. To access service menu hold volume- on set and hit INFO 3x on remote. Scroll down to find time used on panel, but be careful not to change any of the settings. I would personally stay out of the SM and estimate your use over the 2 week period. The 100 hour benchmark is a rule of thumb, not an absolute. Understand the panel settings I'm using were determined after internal calibration and adjustments through the service menu. 2 weeks of average viewing should get you to about 60 hours (4 hrs/day). I'm guessing, but doubt you would hurt the panel at all with these settings after a two week break-in.

THANKS

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #290 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is interesting, would like to hear Tom's input on this one. I thought the problem was related to gamma which is unchangeable in the SM. Can anyone else who got a similar calibration confirm these findings?

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #291 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM

aa
post #292 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM

aa
post #293 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM

[Red push or uniformity problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a 50PZ80U and on a white screen I see a pink tint. It is worse on th edges than in the middle. How do I know if it can be adjusted out by a professional calibrator or if I just have a defective tv? I have no other problems but the pink tint is there. Could a calibration get rid of this? If I have a professional come look at it could he tell me if it would help? I got such a good deal on it that I would be willing to spend the money to get all that I can out of it, but I can take it back if it is defective, but am afraid I might get one that has something worse going on. I don't even see it 95% of the time. Do all TV's have something not right?

Thanks

Talon

----

Sorry about the goof in the last posts.

I also notice a very faint pink tint around the outside when I run the breakin DVD. The DVD goes thru the following sequence: bright white, "dark" white, sequence of blues from light to deep; same for reds, and same for greens. The pink tint only occurs in white screen preceeding the light pink (the lighest red) and it is only noticeable after long runs, ~ 8hrs. However, I not bothered since it does not occur in any of the other white screens, in particular the ones following the depest red! Anyway, the PQ is awesome.
post #294 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusedOne View Post

If you are watching a 1080 source, there should be no "junk" lines around the edges. If there is a junk line on one side or more than one side, something put the line there - the channel/program, the provider (cable/satellite network, broadcast network, etc.), or the video display.

I have DISH and all the high-def channels are fine in pixel-for-pixel mode... except the server NBC uses for The Tonight Show puts a single-pixel white line on the left edge of the image. Can't blame the display for that, it's not supposed to be there. And it's not there for prime time network programming, daytime programming or local programming.

post #295 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savet0night View Post

He agreed to come back and re-calibrate using Cinema mode this time. I'll post the results. Do you still recommend cinema mode in a bright room?

It all depends on how bright you think you need the image... if you just want to see the program and aren't that worried about fidelity all that much (having a bright room kind of squashes fidelity anyway), you can use any mode you like and just put it back to the calibrated mode when the room lighting is more under control.

That said, I find these panels need to be set to 33-34 fL in Cinema mode to minimize gray scale errors. Normally, I'd set the plasmas (and other self-contained displays) to 25-30 fL for dark room viewing so you could view the display for 3 or 4 horus or even more, without eyestrain or discomfort from the panel being so much brighter than the rest of the room. But turing the 85U panels down too much introduced some non-linearity that raised gray scale errors. Once set to 33-34 fL, you can move the Contrast control all the way to 90 or so without causing any serious problems and remaining quite well-calibrated. You can even go all the way to 100 and just BARELY start to see 1 color starting to drop off at 100% white. So you have a lot of latitude in Cinema mode to increase the Contrast setting without upsetting anything... of course, if you are watching hockey or skiing... cranking up contrast doesn't make the picture much brighter overall when the screen is mostly white. It does help when there's a mix of content in the image... shadows, midtones, highlights, but the more of the screen that's filled with white, the less peak output you get (this isn't a Panasonic thing, it's a plasma thing). This is one of the better panels I've worked on in regards to resisting one color being weaker (sometimes called clipping if it is severe) as you crank up the Contrast control so getting the brightness you need when the room is not dark is about as good as it is going to get with any plasma display. It's not going to be as bright as an LCD but it should be watchable.

post #296 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post

Hi, new to the board, picked up 10 days ago a TH46PZ80U, I had on vivid for a while but after reading some of the posts here I tried some of the settings from the 85z looks better than Panasonic setting.

I sit 12 ft from the tv, in the back of my tv there is a patio door and a window, the sun only gets in here till 10:00am but I can close the verticals so light does not interfere with my viewing.
Can some one give me the settings for this tv, also some you have set the HD size to 2, but mine is shaded an set to 1 and cannot change is there a way.

I am presently connected to Cable with some Hd channels and its connected with component wires and also HDMI but I watching more through HDMI. TIA

I have the 50" 80u and use the exact settings as Elway does that he posted...
Cinema mode
Pic 85 (this is just a preference, dont go over 90 IMHO regardless)
Bright 52
Color 44
Tint +3 (I had to go positive with the color filters to get red more in control)
Sharp 50(I see edging around 75 to 80)
with Warm

I use HD Size 1 because on all sources I have tried, HD Size 2 doesn't fill the whole screen. There is a black box around the image with Size 2 that is roughly 1"

I need to try the Super White on for PS3. I have noticed that the white could be a bit super . I also use the y pb/cb pr/cr. PS3 looks dead sexy on this thing
post #297 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 AM

So you're saying 90 after calibration, not 90 to get 34fl?
post #298 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet2300 View Post

I have the 50" 80u and use the exact settings as Elway does that he posted...
Cinema mode
Pic 85 (this is just a preference, dont go over 90 IMHO regardless)
Bright 52
Color 44
Tint +3 (I had to go positive with the color filters to get red more in control)
Sharp 50(I see edging around 75 to 80)
with Warm

I use HD Size 1 because on all sources I have tried, HD Size 2 doesn't fill the whole screen. There is a black box around the image with Size 2 that is roughly 1"

I need to try the Super White on for PS3. I have noticed that the white could be a bit super . I also use the y pb/cb pr/cr. PS3 looks dead sexy on this thing

Weird that none of your sources fill the screen on 2.
post #299 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, Doug.

Kuro'd
post #300 of 2470 Old 05-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Liked: 32
got my new tv replacement, i know now that my last one definitely had something wrong with it, b/c black levels on this one are so much better!

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page