Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

They vary set to set, you really shouldn't have changed them without writing them down

actually I THINK I have not changed anything accept the WB-method.

because to change the other settings you got to push enter, and I always pushed "exit"

but only the WB method I have doubts about, what is the WB-method on all of your sets? 0, 1, 2 or 3? and what does this WH method do exactly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't have to push enter to change something.

No one has figured out what WB method is yet. At least no one has owned up to knowing what it does.
post #453 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga View Post

You don't have to push enter to change something.

No one has figured out what WB method is yet. At least no one has owned up to knowing what it does.

for the R/B/G -cut and -drives you have you conform with enter

for the WB-method you do not, that is why I ask owners of pz85 to look in the service menu for 1 second, to see wich setting is set for the WB-method....thx!
post #454 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't need the enter key to make changes. I've done it. Only volume buttons.
post #455 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:

You don't need the enter key to make changes. I've done it. Only volume buttons.

ow okay, I see, the changes you have to make with volume, I didn't touch those so these are safe

but as I said, the WB-mode could have changed could you look at your pz85 and tell me what is the setting for you WB mode?
post #456 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM

I'll ask again Can anyone tell me where to go to adjust the size and position of the screen? Would it be in the service menu and has anyone tried accomplishing this? Is this something that a clod like me could attempt (and not an ISF tech) to just move the image on size 2 about 1/2 " up?

This would be a great Father's Day gift to me...at least I could put off a professional calibration for another month

Thanks!

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
post #457 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The default setting for WB method is 03. If you didn't touch volume +/-, nothing would have changed.
post #458 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkish View Post

I'll ask again Can anyone tell me where to go to adjust the size and position of the screen? Would it be in the service menu and has anyone tried accomplishing this? Is this something that a clod like me could attempt (and not an ISF tech) to just move the image on size 2 about 1/2 " up?

This would be a great Father's Day gift to me...at least I could put off a professional calibration for another month

Thanks!

I'll give you a bump here but I don't think what you are asking is possible.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #459 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:

The default setting for WB method is 03. If you didn't touch volume +/-, nothing would have changed.

ok thx!!
but the WB-method you can change by the arrow-button

The other values can only be changed by volume, and I have nothing changed.
but, could you take a quicky and look at these settings?
R-drive =
G-drive =
B-drive =
R-cut =
G-cut =
B-cut =

but okay, normally everything is set to default settings now

ps: and if somebody knows what that White Balanse (WB) method is for, please post it
post #460 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

I know that the postion of the image is possible...I just don't know if I can do it myself or if I need a calibrator (ISF) to do it.

Tom?

post #461 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks!

The Panasonic consumer plasma TVs don't have that capability even in the service menu to adjust overscan, height/width/position. Only their commercial monitors have that feature. Not even an ISF tech can do it on the consumer models unfortunately. If one can, please let us know who he is!
post #462 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

The Panasonic consumer plasma TVs don't have that capability even in the service menu to adjust overscan, height/width/position. Only their commercial monitors have that feature. Not even an ISF tech can do it on the consumer models unfortunately. If one can, please let us know who he is!

Well...I just wrote Kevin Miller of ISF TV, so I hope to find out soon. I've got to believe that these sets can be adjusted somehow. What would the alternative be, if someone ran into this problem? Returning the TV or replacing the display? Doesn't make any sense?

post #463 of 2470 Old 06-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-riko View Post

hi,
can somebody post or confirm the default service menu settings?

R-drive = D7
G-drive = FC
B-drive = D0
R-cut = 80
G-cut = 80
B-cut = 80
WB method = 3

are these the default settings?

yup thats how was mine before it was changed by isf professional
post #464 of 2470 Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 AM

I live in Central NJ anyone use someone to do a professional calibration? Thanks

VINMAN
post #465 of 2470 Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Thanks to you and the others for dealing with my stupidity

My issue was with DirecTV and NOT the 85U. I popped in my BD copy of DVE (just purchased recently) and Size 2 is on the money. I was able to play with the D*TV setup to center the image on Size 2. I'll probably wind up using Size 1 on satellite most of the time, due to compression lines, etc.

Thanks again for being gentle with me!

post #466 of 2470 Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Is it my imagination or is the picture on my PZ85 -- both in high def and standard -- getting better? (I've had the TV for a month or so.)
post #467 of 2470 Old 06-17-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael75 View Post

Is it my imagination or is the picture on my PZ85 -- both in high def and standard -- getting better? (I've had the TV for a month or so.)

No it's not your imagination.

As time goes on, after the first 100 hours or so, the picture does indeed improve
post #468 of 2470 Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sengutso View Post

Service menu settings for cinema

r drive: d3
g drive: fc
b drive: a2
r cut: 87
g cut: 80
b cut: 87

the pic it produces is more natural and its looks awesome but i forgot to ask him which one to use for xbox 360 elite settings cinema or standard guys i need ur help as soon as possible thanks.

Hey thanks for this. Makes my 42PZ80U look noticeably better. Grayscale is much more accurate.
post #469 of 2470 Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 AM

Should the service menu settings technically be "identical" on every 85U, as far as being calibrated optimally? Or should settings vary somewhat from set to set?

post #470 of 2470 Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Liked: 32
how does one manipulate around to different settings? U know the 1 button does, but now the others, and I know the vol keys make changes to those settings. I just need some more info on the who process I guess, just to be sure. Thanka

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #471 of 2470 Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

It's pretty easy to figure out. The service menu has a key that shows what buttons do what.
post #472 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 AM

This may seem like a silly question but please bare with me. I have a 50PZ80U
and my question is about the different modes and the parameters they list in the picture settings.
Is it the mode,the parameters, or both that make the difference in the pic ?

In other words if I made the settings (picture,brightness,color,sharpness etc) the exact same in both cinema, standard, vivid etc would the picture be the same or is there something in the mode itself that is different. Seems to me that the mode simply defines the parameters or number settings that it comes with out of the box ??
post #473 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

No there's more to it than that, the picture modes all have predefined settings that makes them look a bit different regardless of the user mode settings. The preferred picture mode is cinema because the other modes are noisy.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #474 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 AM

I'm right about 100 hours on my 46PZ80U as I post this.

TV settings:

Cinema
Picture: +70
Brightness: +52
Color: +43
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 50
Color temp: Normal
Color mgmt: On
x.v.Color: Off
Video N/R: On
MPEG: Off
Black level: Light

DVD settings:

All the same, except for 'warm' color temp and 'dark' black level.

I really can't explain why the warm color temp looks better to me with DVDs; with TV programming, the warm setting seems to produce 'dirty' looking whites and oversaturated color, but with 'normal' color temp TV shows look just right. With DVDs, the warm setting looks more natural and the colors look good.
The black setting on 'dark' works great for DVD, but it crushes blacks too much with TV so I use 'light' for that. I'm guessing that it probably has something to do with the compression of my cable service. Go figure.

HD Size 2 - Although I do see a few artifacts on the extreme edges of the picture from time to time on this setting (not the fault of the TV, I know), I use HD2 because the majority of content I watch tends to be in 1080i, which looks better to me with no overscan.

My digital cable box (Pace 'Miami') is capable of 408i & 480p for SD and 720p & 1080i for HD and the output varies with each channel or program.
If I use HD1, the 720p programs tend to look a little bit crisper than 1080i, which tends to be look just a touch softer, almost as if it is slightly out of focus on size 1.
Vice versa when I use size 2. The 1080i programs look just right, but the 720p content seems just a little softer.
Overall, both resolutions look good on either setting, but unless my eyes deceive me or I am missing something technical, size 1 appears optimal with 720p and size 2 is optimum with 1080i.
For what its worth, SD content looks anywhere from decent to very good with the picture settings I am using.

Overall, in my subjective opinion, the settings I posted produce clean whites, great blacks, decent color and very good skin tones. I am only seeing minimal hints of false contouring, and as more time passes and I dial in the settings this only seems to be improving.

All things considered, I think it looks about as good as it is gonna get without a professional calibration.

* FYI - I do not use this display for gaming or PC, so I can't comment on any of that.
post #475 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avslogin View Post

I really can't explain why the warm color temp looks better to me with DVDs; with TV programming, the warm setting seems to produce 'dirty' looking whites and oversaturated color, but with 'normal' color temp TV shows look just right. With DVDs, the warm setting looks more natural and the colors look good.

I actually feel the same way, I sometimes wonder if it's the Networks trying to overcompensate for people with TVs setup improperly. Most TV stuff, especially SD I tend to watch with the normal color temp. I've done the test with the Dark setting and IMHO it just obscures too much detail. It may seem to provide more shadow depth but I find it just hides the small details and even makes some scenes of movies look completely wrong. One thing I've noticed about the 85U is that the shadows are a bit lighter than they should be sometimes, I think a lot of people try to use dark to compensate for that.

post #476 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

avslogin,

The Black Level setting acts like a coarse setting for Brightness. It's meant to switch between the US NTSC definition of black at 7.5 IRE, and the other definition of black at 0 IRE. It's most useful with older analog inputs (s-video, composite), but it can also be used to match your DVD player's component output (I have a DVD player that sends out 7.5 IRE black over component, and a 2nd player that's switchable).

If the TV brightness was calibrated with Black Level = Light, when you switch to Dark, the TV compensates by making everything in 0-7.5 IRE black. Hence black crush. On the other hand, if you calibrate brightness with Black Level = Dark, then switch to Light, the TV's black level jumps up by roughly the same amount, and black will look washed out.

It doesn't matter if you use Light or Dark as long as you calibrate to one and stay consistent. Then when you switch from say, HDMI to S-video, the set IIRC automatically sets Black Level = Dark for you.
post #477 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:

I actually feel the same way, I sometimes wonder if it's the Networks trying to overcompensate for people with TVs setup improperly. Most TV stuff, especially SD I tend to watch with the normal color temp. I've done the test with the Dark setting and IMHO it just obscures too much detail. It may seem to provide more shadow depth but I find it just hides the small details and even makes some scenes of movies look completely wrong. One thing I've noticed about the 85U is that the shadows are a bit lighter than they should be sometimes, I think a lot of people try to use dark to compensate for that.

Interesting. Sort of the same way radio stations tend to over-process the signal in order to "enhance" the sound quality of the broadcast, maybe?

I know what you mean about SD; low-res TV programs in particular seem to benefit more from the 'light' setting. In HD the 'dark' setting looks a little better with shadows, but I still notice crushed details in dark scenes overall.

Quote:

avslogin,

The Black Level setting acts like a coarse setting for Brightness. It's meant to switch between the US NTSC definition of black at 7.5 IRE, and the other definition of black at 0 IRE. It's most useful with older analog inputs (s-video, composite), but it can also be used to match your DVD player's component output (I have a DVD player that sends out 7.5 IRE black over component, and a 2nd player that's switchable).

If the TV brightness was calibrated with Black Level = Light, when you switch to Dark, the TV compensates by making everything in 0-7.5 IRE black. Hence black crush. On the other hand, if you calibrate brightness with Black Level = Dark, then switch to Light, the TV's black level jumps up by roughly the same amount, and black will look washed out.

It doesn't matter if you use Light or Dark as long as you calibrate to one and stay consistent. Then when you switch from say, HDMI to S-video, the set IIRC automatically sets Black Level = Dark for you.

Also interesting. I did not know this, and you have obviously done your homework on the topic, so thanx for the info.

I have a few other older DVD players that I may try for comparison, but as far as I know none of them have the capability to change the output as you have described. Still, good to know.
post #478 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:

No there's more to it than that, the picture modes all have predefined settings that makes them look a bit different regardless of the user mode settings. The preferred picture mode is cinema because the other modes are noisy.

So you are saying that it wil look different even if I set both cinema mode and standard mode both with :

Pic-70
Brightness-50
Color-40
etc
etc

The 2 modes will still make it look different ??
post #479 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the different modes have a lot of hidden settings behind them that aren't adjustable by the user, Cinema is the most accurate and cleanest (less noisy) but it isn't quite as bright as the other modes. Bright enough for me anyways, especially compared to the problems with the other modes.

post #480 of 2470 Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Should the service menu settings technically be "identical" on every 85U, as far as being calibrated optimally? Or should settings vary somewhat from set to set?

It would be nice if settings didn't change from panel to panel, but they do. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes a little - occasionally there are matches, or some items match and others don't.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page