Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 2470 Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,
I bought my TV about a month ago, been running the break-in DVD whenever I'm not actually watching TV, so I think its got about 200 hours of playtime on it thus far, and I think its about time to set up the picture so it looks better. My question is this: the first post has a couple of settings, but they also involve the service menu. I don't really want to get anywhere near the service menu, being electronically retarded and liable to break the TV, but will those settings still apply without the service menu changes, or are there better settings if I leave the service menu at stock? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2470 Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZChris View Post

......I think its about time to set up the picture so it looks better. My question is this: the first post has a couple of settings, but they also involve the service menu. I don't really want to get anywhere near the service menu, being electronically retarded and liable to break the TV, but will those settings still apply without the service menu changes, or are there better settings if I leave the service menu at stock? Thanks!

Ditto all this, I'm ready to turn mine also.

Fr. John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic Plasma Break-in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #663 of 2470 Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post

Patrick, I have tried the Cinema settings and after 3/4 hour of watching tv, it bothered me, what I can't explain But tried the Custom settings and I can watch all day,

Now, I have not changed the Service settings cause I don't know how to get in there and don't know what to change.

Maybe its a personal taste.

I know what you mean..by Cinema being too dark some times for your liking. If I am watching a day baseball game Cinema looks great..but at night time for some reason the batter looks like he is hitting in the shadows with no light hitting him (too dark for my liking)..so then I will switch to custom and I am able to see the batter better..

Maybe its about Cinema being about getting a truer plasma picture ..where custom is for those who like a picture that more bolder like an LCD Picture

Just asking ..does anyone use Vivid or any of the other settings to watch HD programing
post #664 of 2470 Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieMarty View Post

I know what you mean..by Cinema being too dark some times for your liking. If I am watching a day baseball game Cinema looks great..but at night time for some reason the batter looks like he is hitting in the shadows with no light hitting him (too dark for my liking)..so then I will switch to custom and I am able to see the batter better..

Maybe its about Cinema being about getting a truer plasma picture ..where custom is for those who like a picture that more bolder like an LCD Picture

Just asking ..does anyone use Vivid or any of the other settings to watch HD programing

Cinema on all fronts...TV, gaming, movies.
post #665 of 2470 Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieMarty View Post

As much as I like the brightness of the Custom and Standard modes I just notice what they do to the picture, more noise, dark scenes look off. After using Cinema for a few weeks now without changing it you actually get used to it, going back to Custom burns your eyes. I really wish Panasonic would do something but from the looks of it last year's TVs had similar problems and they did nothing I wish we could go back to the CRT days when displays weren't artificially limited just to make you buy a better TV because from what I understand the PZ800Us modes work fine.

Edit: I just emailed Panasonic complaining about the issue asking if they planned a fix.. I don't expect much more than a cookie cutter response but I'll keep you guys posted

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #666 of 2470 Old 07-17-2008, 04:44 AM

I guess Ive gotten used to it. Im using Cinema with a 65 Pic and it appears overly bright at night, daytime is just fine. I did come from a RPLCD thought that did not do well in daylight.

At night, with the 6700k backlight, the screen looks good and eye strain is not as bad as in the dark.
post #667 of 2470 Old 07-17-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you ever get that calibration done ElwayLite? If so how did it improve your picture significantly? I was about to get mine done but saw a sale on some speakers I couldn't resist, wife said I can't have both so I said it could wait a month or two

post #668 of 2470 Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 AM

Still waiting. I travel a lot, and so do the guys from LionAv. We tried for next week, but Im going to South America. Gregg Loewen is taking August off, so I have to wait till Sept

I've paid my travel fee, so the stars just need to align!
post #669 of 2470 Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM

I have a request for Tom Huffman (hope he still follows the topic).

You posted the result of RGB uniformity in this post : /avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13567501&postcount=1572. (sorry, I have not enough posted to enter an url)
I would like to use your measurement to make a calibration file to be used with the ColorHCFR probe . It is possible to enter (x,y) coordinates for RGB and White.
Did you perform the measurement when the PDP was calibrated ?
Could you give the (x,y) coordinate for the White Color ?

Best Regards,

Ludovic
post #670 of 2470 Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerL View Post

So I have had my 50pz85u for over a month, and have been loving it. The picture quality is amazing, and keeps getting better and better.

Then yesterday, as I was nodding off while watching a baseball game. The TV made a large pop and shut off. The red light near the power button was flashing so I tried to turn it on. It wouldn't. So I then unplugged it for a few minutes and turned it back on. Now there is a black horizontal bar about 2 inches thick from top to bottom on my screen.

I have a three year(four adding the first year) service package so I am not worried. But I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before? Someone will be out thursday. Should I expect the service tech to fix it or a new TV?

Amazing, I just posted the folllowing yesterday on the owner's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post

Well, my 50PZ80U just up and died a few minutes ago.

I had been watching for about 45 min, when the TV suddenly shut off without warning. The front LED was flashing, and the TV wouldn't respond to any controls. Unplugging it for about 15 secs stopped the flashing and allowed me to turn it back on.

Turned on just fine, except there is a 2.5" wide black stripe running vertically left of center the entire screen.

Fascinating. Will be calling for warranty service tomorrow. FYI the set is a little over a month old, worked flawlessly until now.

A service tech will be out thursday to check it out. And the strangest thing is that my name is also Tyler.
post #671 of 2470 Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Probably been asked a thousand times before, but is there anything wrong with leaving the break in DVD on overnight? I ran it for the first time all last night and my room was extremely warm when I woke up.

Prior to this I had been watching regular HD programming (no bars and no static logo when you watch discovery theater). Should I just go back to that?

Last, I understand that generally people should avoid heavy gaming during the break in period, but is that rule of thumb true with no exceptions? I play around 30 mins on my xbox everyday and don't see any traces of IR when I stop playing.
post #672 of 2470 Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 AM

I left the break in dvd in for 4 days straight, I wouldnt worry about it.
post #673 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a bit of helpful information for anyone considering this TV, Panasonic does not consider the excess noise in the various modes of the TV a problem. They aren't planning a firmware fix (according to Panasonic Canada). This doesn't change that I'm happy with mine but I won't be recommending it anymore since Panasonic seems to be too ignorant to support the TV.

post #674 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Just a bit of helpful information for anyone considering this TV, Panasonic does not consider the excess noise in the various modes of the TV a problem. They aren't planning a firmware fix (according to Panasonic Canada). This doesn't change that I'm happy with mine but I won't be recommending it anymore since Panasonic seems to be too ignorant to support the TV.

I must be blind (I don't wear glasses, but....). While I did notice some noise with this set at the local BB when compared to the Sammy, I've yet to notice it at home with things dialed in properly. To be honest I've not been looking for it, movies are astounding, games likewise. I suppose there are times when I could find it if I wanted but I've been so distracted by the overall PQ that it simply hasn't come up. I do keep it on Cinema all the time though, just can't get used to any of the other settings.

Fr. John

post #675 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the gamma problem doesn't affect all sets equally, the best way I can describe it is it takes video noise that was barely noticeable at all before and makes it 10x more visible. I sit pretty close too so I notice lots of small differences, I guess if you were 7ft+ away you might not see it. I wish I was making it up, I'd really like to able to have different settings for different inputs stored. Making it even more annoying is that color seems more accurate in Custom mode when dialed down than in Cinema and the contrast ratio is much higher. I guess what I'm trying to say is this TV looks spectacular at night with Cinema, but it could look just as good (or better) during the day with Custom if they bothered adjusting one little setting.

post #676 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

....I sit pretty close too so I notice lots of small differences, I guess if you were 7ft+ away you might not see it.

Good point, I'm at 11-12 feet and it looks great.

Quote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is this TV looks spectacular at night with Cinema, but it could look just as good (or better) during the day with Custom if they bothered adjusting one little setting.

Another good point, 90% of my viewing is at night so I'm not very concerned about PQ for daytime viewing which is typically just casual flipping or lunch time watching, certainly no movie viewing which is what I care about.

Fr. John

post #677 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

It appears they've made the choice to have one "mostly accurate" mode on their sets now, and the rest are there just so they can be listed as a feature. The 800U is the same, if I'm reading those threads correctly. They have not made these sets for those who like to tweak constantly. Now, I am very glad the Cinema looks so good because I am pretty much unable to get my set calibrated (for a reasonable price) due to my location, and this is a great first-time HD set for me. However, having the ability to adjust some, and not have crippled modes would be nice.
post #678 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Ok, so I am confused. And please forgive me if this is answered here. I just past the first 100 hours so I started to see where I should put the settings. I am only on page 5 so far and the Cubs game is over so I am going to bed now. So my question/confusion is... If I set the standard and cinema modes at the same settings, will they look the same? I thought that they would, but unless I am misunderstanding something I keep getting the idea from reading through this that they will look different.

thanks
post #679 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Maybe the gamma problem doesn't affect all sets equally, the best way I can describe it is it takes video noise that was barely noticeable at all before and makes it 10x more visible. I sit pretty close too so I notice lots of small differences, I guess if you were 7ft+ away you might not see it. I wish I was making it up, I'd really like to able to have different settings for different inputs stored. Making it even more annoying is that color seems more accurate in Custom mode when dialed down than in Cinema and the contrast ratio is much higher. I guess what I'm trying to say is this TV looks spectacular at night with Cinema, but it could look just as good (or better) during the day with Custom if they bothered adjusting one little setting.

From what I've read, the color control works differently in custom/standard mode than it does in cinema. In custom/standard it's the normal saturation control, while in cinema it controls the brightness of colors. Also cinema mode has a lower peak brightness.

I had the same experience with my Panasonic 700u, and I solved it by buying a different TV. I'd honestly recommend getting a Pioneer Elite or Samsung -- they can be set to show accurate colors without the compromises.
post #680 of 2470 Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhatti View Post

So my question/confusion is... If I set the standard and cinema modes at the same settings, will they look the same?

No, they will not. Cinema has a better gamma pre-set so it will look more natural and have little grain. It will also not appear as washed out. However, you can make the set brighter in Standard mode, but the picture is not as good...IMO.
post #681 of 2470 Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

From what I've read, the color control works differently in custom/standard mode than it does in cinema. In custom/standard it's the normal saturation control, while in cinema it controls the brightness of colors. Also cinema mode has a lower peak brightness.

I had the same experience with my Panasonic 700u, and I solved it by buying a different TV. I'd honestly recommend getting a Pioneer Elite or Samsung -- they can be set to show accurate colors without the compromises.

I think I'll stick with the 85U for this year and get one of next years' Pioneers. As nice as this year's models are they go for about $4000 here and I think that's a lot to pay for a TV, if next year's models can do 0 IRE then I'll buy one. The Samsung's seem like really nice TVs, but their black level doesn't do it for me. IMHO black levels come before color accuracy (I mean the Panny's aren't that bad..) Honestly I wanted to sell the 85U and get a Kuro but my wife said I'd be living in the Kuro box if I did that

post #682 of 2470 Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

It appears they've made the choice to have one "mostly accurate" mode on their sets now, and the rest are there just so they can be listed as a feature. The 800U is the same, if I'm reading those threads correctly. They have not made these sets for those who like to tweak constantly. Now, I am very glad the Cinema looks so good because I am pretty much unable to get my set calibrated (for a reasonable price) due to my location, and this is a great first-time HD set for me. However, having the ability to adjust some, and not have crippled modes would be nice.

Do what I did, complain to Panasonic, in fact I encourage everyone in this thread to. The thing is something tells me they don't do this on purpose.. I think they need to setup the other modes that way because the plasma can't reach that high of a peak brightness when providing an accurate picture, then again I might be wrong. If the 800U is the same it definitely makes me feel better.. still wish the TV could be brighter and have individual modes though

post #683 of 2470 Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

No, they will not. Cinema has a better gamma pre-set so it will look more natural and have little grain. It will also not appear as washed out. However, you can make the set brighter in Standard mode, but the picture is not as good...IMO.

Thanks. Is there somewhere that explains all the differences in the different modes? Maybe in the manual? I am at work so I can't check right now.

Thanks again
post #684 of 2470 Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhatti View Post

Is there somewhere that explains all the differences in the different modes?

If I remember, there is some brief statement in the manual on each mode, but you'll get better information about the modes here and on the owner's thread. Most people use Cinema Mode. I have used Custom (which I think a calibrator said was basically the same as Standard), on occasion, but not for critical viewing due to the grain introduced.
post #685 of 2470 Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
ilk

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and last week i bought a 50" PZ80B Panny.

Currently breakin it in with the very helpful DVD off this forum.
I've been reading this thread and other's, closely, to try and gain some tips in improving the picture and have found them very helpful.

Anyway, yesterday after reading Joxer's analysis, and analysing, shpankeys post of calculations, i was itching to try it out, just to see if there is any difference.

After keying in these changes posted by shpankey:

Red-Drive - 4 from default
Green-Drive = same as default
Blue-Drive - 5 from default

Red-Cut + 7 from default
Green-Cut = same as default
Blue-Cut + 7 from default

WOW! there is a MARKED difference to the picture, all colours are truer and the yellow/pink cast i had is gone. Vastly improved grayscale.
Bear in mind this is on Cinema setting on SD Format in the sevice menu, as i was watching Cable SDTV.
Will try HD later.

The panel has only done 62 hrs--Can i keep these settings or should i run in the panel for at least 100-150 hrs?
For now i have changed them back to original settings.

This thread has very helpful and insightful comments. Thankyou.

In return i can say, that all those, that think, OVERSCAN, is not adjustable on this tv, the PZ80, think again.
I adjusted the overscan and position of my screen through the service menu, via controls labeled as:

H-POS
V-POS
H-AMP
V-AMP

Now with the overscan off, i can view a much larger broadcast image on SD,(looks anamorphic) it is a cleaner signal to my view, and fits the panel on all pixels, no junk or fuzzy kinks in the top or bottom of the picture. As long as i leave the 'aspect ratio' on 'auto' (poss 'hd size' as mentioned in this thread ), then all is well and the panel adjusts when black bars are viewed on some channels.

Thanks again

ilk
post #686 of 2470 Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk View Post

Anyway, yesterday after reading Joxer's analysis, and analysing, shpankeys post of calculations, i was itching to try it out, just to see if there is any difference.

Red-Cut + 7 from default

WOW! there is a MARKED difference to the picture, all colours are truer and the yellow/pink cast i had is gone. Vastly improved grayscale.
Bear in mind this is on Cinema setting on SD Format in the sevice menu, as i was watching Cable SDTV.
Will try HD later.

The panel has only done 62 hrs--Can i keep these settings or should i run in the panel for at least 100-150 hrs?

You can keep the new settings, it won't affect the break-in.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #687 of 2470 Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk View Post

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and last week i bought a 50" PZ80B Panny.

Currently breakin it in with the very helpful DVD off this forum.
I've been reading this thread and other's, closely, to try and gain some tips in improving the picture and have found them very helpful.

Red-Cut + 7 from default

Will try HD later.

This thread has very helpful and insightful comments. Thankyou.

In return i can say, that all those, that think, OVERSCAN, is not adjustable on this tv, the PZ80, think again.
I adjusted the overscan and position of my screen through the service menu, via controls labeled as:

H-POS
V-POS
H-AMP
V-AMP

Now with the overscan off, i can view a much larger broadcast image on SD,(looks anamorphic) it is a cleaner signal to my view, and fits the panel on all pixels, no junk or fuzzy kinks in the top or bottom of the picture. As long as i leave the 'aspect ratio' on 'auto' (poss 'hd size' as mentioned in this thread ), then all is well and the panel adjusts when black bars are viewed on some channels.

Thanks again

ilk

Was it easy going in to the service menu and making those few adjustments? I mean, can a person who has never used a service menu before go in and make those same exact adjustments if given instructions on how to do so?
post #688 of 2470 Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

You can keep the new settings, it won't affect the break-in.

cheers shpankey, will do just that

Scorpio--

The service menu was fairly easy to get in to, and make the changes (for me, anyway).

BUT, only attempt it, if you are comfortable to,(you can damage your tv if you enter some incorrect settings, so its your gamble really) and if you do decide to go for it, make sure, YOU WRITE ALL YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS DOWN FIRST before you begin.

ilk
post #689 of 2470 Old 07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It should also be noted that this is a UK version which is somewhat different so the settings in the SM might not have the same effect on US models.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

post #690 of 2470 Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Hello...

New member...also a new owner of a Panasonic TH-42PZ80U.

A bit confused as to how one goes about calibrating. I know it doesn't look like it should and am a bit disenchanted with my first in home HD experience, so...I need help.

Where do I start?

What do I do?

Thanks much!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page