Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post

Although, does a good upscaling Blu player not take care of that? I hope so. I ordered one with the PZ85 that is on it's way.

I mean. If the Player does the up-ressing and rendering of the DVD signal before the TV sees it, does it really matter how good or bad the TV does that job?

C.

Yes they look good. Some dvd's I watch on my bd30 (upconverts them to 1080p) look near HD, but nothing compares to BR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:

/sigh

I finally caved and my new 42" PZ85 and Panny DMPBD30 Blu player is being delievered this comming Wednesday and I can hardly wait.

I have been lurking around AVS for weeks. With my new rigs arrival, it looks like I will be spending some time in this thread and sitting in front of my new 42" PZ85 in 5 days just tinkering with settings and trying to wait out the 100 hour burn in. Hahahaha.

Anyway, is the "free" calibration tool good enough as is for the newb or is there a better product I can download even if it costs a few bucks? No big deal either way tho.

C.

Our settings in this thread will get you pretty close to a great pic, only thing left is a prof calibration.
post #903 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Quite a bit to see, no?

Try adding +7 to TINT

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #904 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #905 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Yes they look good. Some dvd's I watch on my bd30 (upconverts them to 1080p) look near HD, but nothing compares to BR.

Oh I understand totally. I am just helping others now look at TV's and I am trying to help them overcome a few things. One being the LCD's look better "in store" than the Plasmas even though we all know the truth. But the other...

People having a sales rep plug in a $50 DVD player through Component or S-Video into the TV and let the TV do the SD processing and then "zooming" the image to fit is not really the same as letting a Panansonic BD30 do the processing from 480 to 1080p work and pushing it up through the HDMI right?

I mean the best case scenario is for the BD30 to do it right? Which then means that the SD part of reviews is not "AS" important as one would think provided they are driving SD through the BD30 or a comporable Blu player? Am I correct?

Quote:

Our settings in this thread will get you pretty close to a great pic, only thing left is a prof calibration.

I feel blessed having found this great thread either way. I am a bit of a PQ whore being a PC gamer with a large wide screen LCD. I can't hardly wait for the tinkering to begin. It's going to be a long 4 days waiting for delivery.

C.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42-PZ85U
Panasonic Blueray Player DMP-BD35
Sony 5.1 Home Theater DAV-HDX475 (wish it was Panasonic but it's ok)
post #906 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Yes, SD/analog tv is going to look bad. Upconversion to 1080i/1080p from a BR player or another good upconvert only will look fine.
post #907 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

Try adding +7 to TINT

IMO, you must be using the WARM temp setting and with the color mgmt set to OFF for this tint setting to produce the correct picture.

WARM is the setting the pro calibrators say if closest to the correct D65, but then it pushes red which is offset by changing the tint to +7. They all interact together, so IMO, you need the other settings to be set correctly to use TINT at +7. When I do that running my PS3 I get nearly perfect (99%) color according to the color filters.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #908 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Not sure we're talking about the same thing.

LOL
post #909 of 2470 Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 PM

Anyone have a good Custom settings for my PS3 gaming needs? I use Cinema for blu ray movies and hd cable viewing. Cinema is just too dim for me when playing videogames especially on Call of Duty 4.

PSN: xAyoFoolx
post #910 of 2470 Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 AM

I cannot find the answer to this question...

I will be wanting to hook up my Panny BD30 Player to my 42PZ85. I will be following much of the great advice here in this thread as to the settings before and after 100 hours and so on.

But what effect does the Player (which everything runs through) have on these settings? Do you have to first calibrate a player? Or are they basically fire and forget and you only have to calibrate the TV?

C.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42-PZ85U
Panasonic Blueray Player DMP-BD35
Sony 5.1 Home Theater DAV-HDX475 (wish it was Panasonic but it's ok)
post #911 of 2470 Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, SD/analog tv is going to look bad. Upconversion to 1080i/1080p from a BR player or another good upconvert only will look fine.

Elway, do you like the Panasonic BD-30? Was that chosen for price or PQ as the main selling point? Does it have a good upconversion scaler (doesn't add image slowdown nor wash-out/dim colors). I heard Toshiba is coming out with an upscaler that addresses color dimming for DVD upscaling, but its just hype right now, I haven't seen one yet.

Any BR players out there that do a better 24P, upconversion, black level, PQ than the PS3 for at or less than the cost of the PS3?

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #912 of 2470 Old 09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAyoFoolx View Post

Anyone have a good Custom settings for my PS3 gaming needs? I use Cinema for blu ray movies and hd cable viewing. Cinema is just too dim for me when playing videogames especially on Call of Duty 4.

Here is what I use for COD4:

CUSTOM Mode
Picture (contrast) = 70
Brightness = 50
Color = 42
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 56
Temp = NORMAL
Color mgmt = Off
Both noise reductions = Off
Black level = Light

With these settings you can see anyone hiding in the shadows easily without washing out the colors.

HT Gear list HERE
post #913 of 2470 Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

Here is what I use for COD4:

CUSTOM Mode
Picture (contrast) = 70
Brightness = 50
Color = 42
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 56
Temp = NORMAL
Color mgmt = Off
Both noise reductions = Off
Black level = Light

With these settings you can see anyone hiding in the shadows easily without washing out the colors.

Thanks, I love it.

PSN: xAyoFoolx
post #914 of 2470 Old 09-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

There seem to be a few ways people are toning down the red push on these sets. The best way IMO is to just leave tint alone and just dial down the color a bit. Here's my settings:

Cinema
Picture: 70
Brightness: 50
Color: 35
Sharpness: 50
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Warm

I think these settings produce the most natural, subdued looking image. Leaving the color at 42 and increasing the tint puts a bit too much of a yellow/green cast to the image.
post #915 of 2470 Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:

I cannot find the answer to this question...

I will be wanting to hook up my Panny BD30 Player to my 42PZ85. I will be following much of the great advice here in this thread as to the settings before and after 100 hours and so on.

But what effect does the Player (which everything runs through) have on these settings? Do you have to first calibrate a player? Or are they basically fire and forget and you only have to calibrate the TV?

C.

Just set the tv up how you like it and run with it. I use the same settings for my BD30 as I do for my Directv HDDVR. Youll find its real hard to make a Bluray look bad on these tv's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

Elway, do you like the Panasonic BD-30? Was that chosen for price or PQ as the main selling point? Does it have a good upconversion scaler (doesn't add image slowdown nor wash-out/dim colors). I heard Toshiba is coming out with an upscaler that addresses color dimming for DVD upscaling, but its just hype right now, I haven't seen one yet.

Any BR players out there that do a better 24P, upconversion, black level, PQ than the PS3 for at or less than the cost of the PS3?

I love the BD30, its not the best upconverter (out of BR players) but it does damn good. The BR PQ is one of the best out there, and Panny's support is top notch. Whenever buggy discs are released they are right on it with a FW update.

I owned a PS3 and it did a pretty good job but I found that the PQ was a tad soft. The PQ of the BD30 is very sharp, and whille the upconversion is not the highest rated, I wouldnt trade it for the world.

I think at its current price, the BD30 is great. The new BD55 might be a better buy though, I think Panasonic has improved their Uniphier chip in this model(uniphier is their proprietary bluray chip for video)

Toshibas cell upvonverters will be out soon, but I think even they feel they overhyped them and claimed they could be bluray killers. Ive owned two Sony upconverts, a Panny, a Toshiba HDa2 and the BD30. As far as Im concerned, the BD30 upconversion is just fine on my 50". If you are real concerned about upconversion, Oppo just announced their first BR plaer.

Also, I bought my BD30 in Jan when it came out ($550), so price was not a selling point . I was unhappy with the PS3 and wanted a standalone.
post #916 of 2470 Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAyoFoolx View Post

Thanks, I love it.

Glad you like them. They work well for me with COD4. No shadows are safe haven for the enemy with these settings.

HT Gear list HERE
post #917 of 2470 Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just set the tv up how you like it and run with it. I use the same settings for my BD30 as I do for my Directv HDDVR. Youll find its real hard to make a Bluray look bad on these tv's.

I love the BD30, its not the best upconverter (out of BR players) but it does damn good. The BR PQ is one of the best out there, and Panny's support is top notch. Whenever buggy discs are released they are right on it with a FW update.

I owned a PS3 and it did a pretty good job but I found that the PQ was a tad soft. The PQ of the BD30 is very sharp, and whille the upconversion is not the highest rated, I wouldnt trade it for the world.

I think at its current price, the BD30 is great. The new BD55 might be a better buy though, I think Panasonic has improved their Uniphier chip in this model(uniphier is their proprietary bluray chip for video)

Toshibas cell upvonverters will be out soon, but I think even they feel they overhyped them and claimed they could be bluray killers. Ive owned two Sony upconverts, a Panny, a Toshiba HDa2 and the BD30. As far as Im concerned, the BD30 upconversion is just fine on my 50". If you are real concerned about upconversion, Oppo just announced their first BR plaer.

Also, I bought my BD30 in Jan when it came out ($550), so price was not a selling point . I was unhappy with the PS3 and wanted a standalone.

Just for the record, I never heard Toshiba claim ANYWHERE that the SRT players would be "Blu-ray killers". I believe that term was a fabrication of the news media, not Toshiba.

I am not even sure there WILL be a SRT player with a cell chip in it coming this year, and maybe never. Even the new SRT LCDs they announced do not have the actual cell chip in them, but the chip in them is based on the cell algorithms.

The only two bad things I have heard about the Panasonic BD30 is the relatively poor upscaling, and an issue with the LFE channel being way too low relative to the other channels. I heard it was a pretty rock solid BD player and the best 1.1 BD player until the new models have come out. From what I have read, the Panasonic is providing excellent support and only Sony has kept up with them in this regard for BD players.

HT Gear list HERE
post #918 of 2470 Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Poor upscaling is a matter of opinion, most that I know that own it are plenty happy. The XDE player from Toshiba has already been seen in stores, a picture was put up on Gizmodo this weekend. LFE issue has been fixed for many months via FW.
post #919 of 2470 Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Poor upscaling is a matter of opinion, most that I know that own it are plenty happy. The XDE player from Toshiba has already been seen in stores, a picture was put up on Gizmodo this weekend. LFE issue has been fixed for many months via FW.

I know the Secrets benchmark tests didn't show it as a very good upscaler, and it is rated about average I think. It is likely better than what most people would be replacing though.

I didn't know they fixed the LFE bug. Last I heard it was not fixable, but I am glad it is fixed. It just shows that Panasonic is a solid choice for a BD player IMO.

The XDE player is NOT a SRT player nor does it have the Cell Processor in it.

HT Gear list HERE
post #920 of 2470 Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

I know the Secrets benchmark tests didn't show it as a very good upscaler, and it is rated about average I think. It is likely better than what most people would be replacing though.

I didn't know they fixed the LFE bug. Last I heard it was not fixable, but I am glad it is fixed. It just shows that Panasonic is a solid choice for a BD player IMO.

The XDE player is NOT a SRT player nor does it have the Cell Processor in it.

Ah, I see now. I thought XDE was their new name for the Cell tech, but its not.

Compared to the players Ive owned, the BD30 does great upconversion. That being said, Ive never had an Oppo or anything with a REON.

Yepp, Panasonic is very good with the updates. The LFE issue (Only affected PCM) lingered a little longer than some could stand, BUT it was fixed. Any disc issues lately have been fixed very quickly and its been a very reliable player. More than Sammy owners can say.
post #921 of 2470 Old 09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I would not touch a Samsung BD player unless it was less than half the comparable cost of Sony or Panasonic judging by the reports of their horrible support for discs issues myself.

HT Gear list HERE
post #922 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its hard to imagine how you guys are getting Postive numbers with your tint.

Popping in the DVE Bluray into my PS3, and using 65 for the Picture Setting I get.

Brightness 57
Color 44
Tint -5
Sharpness 0

I use the warm temp, and turn everything else off.

Color 44 and Tint -5 turns the entire screen a perfectly even blue when using the blue filter.

Using a positive tint completely screws up the blue screen, and its impossible to calibrate correctly regardless of the color setting.
post #923 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Using the test pattern screen, anything above 0 starts adding halos.

And since all the text are prefectly sharp and in focus at the 0 setting.

Again, I'm going to say why on earth would you put it up? Everything (DVDs, BDs, and HD Programming) looks perfectly sharp at 0, plus you KNOW you aren't adding anything to the screen.
post #924 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, when calibrating with the PS3, set the RGB to LIMITED, as per the PS3 As Blu Ray Player Thread states.

Unless your using a computer monitor it should be set to Limited.
post #925 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 AM

You also have to remember, specific settings like your own can not be considered a one size fits all. We all have different dvd/br players and tvs (of the same model) are slightly different.

I dont see any sharpness issues until 70 or so. An ISF calibrator on here has his 85u set at 50 also, which is thought to be the Panny "zero".
post #926 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I guess your right, no two panels are going to be the exact same, but my tint seeems very far off what most folks are getting with their DVE disc.

To those who have the Bluray DVE disc, pop it in and try my settings with your blue filter and see what you get, then maybe you can tell me if I'm crazy or not

Cinema:
Picture 65
Brightness 57
Color 44
Tint -5
Sharpness 0
Temp: Warm
Everything else OFF

As for the sharpness, if you get really close to your screen and look at the black blocks on the grey screen, you'll see just the TINIEST bit of edge ringing even at a level of 10 or 20.

I completely agree with CNET at putting it to zero, at least for watching Blurays, maybe you'll want some sharpness added for DVDs or SD Programming.
post #927 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 AM

With DVE, my color setting matches yours, but for the filters to line I have to use a +5 or so tint.

Ill stick my nose to the glass and play with the sharpness this evening
post #928 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM

I thought it was always recommended to leave sharpness at 0, because it just adds artificial edges. Why add something that isn't really there? If you're obsessed with accurate picture, no idea why you'd want to mess with this.
post #929 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebadooo View Post

I thought it was always recommended to leave sharpness at 0, because it just adds artificial edges. Why add something that isn't really there? If you're obsessed with accurate picture, no idea why you'd want to mess with this.

Because, some sets have 50 as the ZERO. Going below 50 actually softens the pic, which is something you dont want either.

You guys can just assume a number means something that it does not, and you cant assume each tv should have to same settings.

Tom Huffman, who is a professional ISF calibrator recommended 50. After seeing Cnets other 85u settings in action, Im inclined to not believe their Sharpness setting either (their recommended settings look like crap). I will however play with the Sharpness when I get home.

At my viewing distance of 9 feet and using DVE previously, I noticed softening below 20 and white edge enhancement above 70. This is the reason I think 50 is actually zero on the sharpness scale.
post #930 of 2470 Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Panasonic Plasma Concierge. You will be connected to an Expert momentarily.
We apologize for any inconvenience, all Plasma Concierge Experts are currently assisting other members. Please remain on hold for the next available Expert. Our current wait time is'0' minute(s) and '2' seconds
We apologize for any inconvenience, all Plasma Concierge Experts are currently assisting other members. Please remain on hold for the next available Expert. Our current wait time is'0' minute(s) and '2' seconds
You are now chatting with 'Travis', your Panasonic Plasma Expert.
Travis: Thank you for contacting Panasonic Plasma Concierge. How may I help you today?
Jason: I have a sharpness question, trying to calibrate my tv
Jason: sharpness is 0-100, is 50 the mid point, or is it the zero? some tv's, when you go below 50 it actually softens the picture slightly
Jason: just wondering how it worrs
Jason: works
Travis: 0 is the midway point
Jason: so, zero is no enhancement at all, while 100 is max edge enhancment?
Travis: correct
Jason: K thanks. Will set at zero then
Travis: ok

So, looks like ZERO is correct.

I also asked about pixel orbiting, he said Force 1 is the best.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page