Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2470 Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TomHuffman already stated that the difference in foot lamberts between 60 and 90 in Cinema was barely anything, and his final comment was that there is no reason to set it high.

In cinema mode, I got eye strain at 65-70 on bright Bluray screens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2470 Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do any of you guys know how to get to the THX calibration in the new Indiana Jones blu-ray? I always thought that all Lucas films/THX had this as a feature, but I can't seem to find it. I heard that the THX calibrater in other Lucas films was very good, so I would like to try it on my 42pz85u.

post #1263 of 2470 Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Do any of you guys know how to get to the THX calibration in the new Indiana Jones blu-ray? I always thought that all Lucas films/THX had this as a feature, but I can't seem to find it. I heard that the THX calibrater in other Lucas films was very good, so I would like to try it on my 42pz85u.

I own the Blueray Indiana Jones and it is missing the THX Calibration Utility. But so is my Indiana Jones Temple of Doom DVD that was not part of the trilogy package yet all of my Indiana Jones DVD's inside of my Trilogy box have the ultility. All of my Starwars episode 1, 2 and 3 and my Starwars trilogy 4,5 and 6 have it.

The tool works pretty damn good too. For what it is. Need the glasses or the Lee Filter Tokyo Blue for the color/tint calibration though.

C.

Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42-PZ85U
Panasonic Blueray Player DMP-BD35
Sony 5.1 Home Theater DAV-HDX475 (wish it was Panasonic but it's ok)
post #1264 of 2470 Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

TomHuffman already stated that the difference in foot lamberts between 60 and 90 in Cinema was barely anything, and his final comment was that there is no reason to set it high.

In cinema mode, I got eye strain at 65-70 on bright Bluray screens.

That's right you told me that before. I guess one may have to not only consider the light output of WHITE but the other colors will in fact be more brilliant or intense with a higher Contrast. I forgot about that part of my eyestrain arguement.

I also now understand that deciding to clip or not to clip above white with a given contrast setting is indeed a preference and there is no written in stone convention in the digital realm for this versus how it was handled in the CRT world.

In terms of "viewer comfort", I have also come to understand that prefered Contrast will vary dependant on ambient light in the room and the wall behind the TV and what feels good to the viewer and so on. As long as you stay within a given calibration range, (on the 42PZ85U it apears to be ok from 60 to 90 with my equipment) it's up to the owner to decide which he or she likes best.

Thankfully, setting brightness/black is easy and there is a written in stone rule as well as the color calibration (make it as close as possible with Getgray, DVE, THX or hire a pro).

C.

post #1265 of 2470 Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 AM

[quote=LBFilmGuy;15001506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post

Interesting observations.

I'll try to crank my picture up some more the next time I watch a BD and see if I notice anything major.

Actually I should have answered to you on this...

I noticed last night that playing with Contrast did not increase the brightness of the WHITE screen but it certainly effects vibrance or brilliance of colors in movies and I guess in dimmer lighting settings this could tire a persons eyes. So it will be dependant on the room and the viewers tolerance I suppose.

C.

post #1266 of 2470 Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone is interested, Amazon has the 6 disc Band of Brothers blu-ray set for $53 w/ free shipping! I just pre-ordered it and can't wait to see/hear it on my pz85 & ss2300 setup. Should be a great test for the blacks and dark details for the set.

post #1267 of 2470 Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 PM

Has anyone experienced a hazy picture on their 85U? It just started today where the colors aren't nearly as vibrant and the picture is not as sharp, kind of like when you are looking at the hills through less than pristine air quality. I also tried Ironman on Blue Ray with the same outcome. None of my picture settings have changed but the picture is signiicantly worse than the Samsung in the front room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1268 of 2470 Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda13 View Post

Has anyone experienced a hazy picture on their 85U? It just started today where the colors aren't nearly as vibrant and the picture is not as sharp, kind of like when you are looking at the hills through less than pristine air quality. I also tried Ironman on Blue Ray with the same outcome. None of my picture settings have changed but the picture is signiicantly worse than the Samsung in the front room. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Very odd. No not here.

Settings?

I use 90 Contrast (NOW 85... Lowering over time until 5% over white starts to show in calibration patterns), 55 Bright and 44 Color with tint at +1. Sharpness is 50. Cinema and Warm. It's the deepest and richest setting in my setup for BD and DVD over HDMI so far. Jurasic Park is a good test of Contrast Ratio I am finding. The opening scene and the one in the dark projector room sitting around the table seems to not like the Higher Contrast settings of 90 and above. The overall presentation of the scenes are a touch milky with that setting. At least when played off my BD30 BD player. Of course these settings are only when playing BD's and DVD's. I have to use a completely different set of settings in STANDARD mode with my TV vieing. Cinema looks horrible with my non-hd feed over coax.

I assume you are over HDMI and all that. Same player all along.

Is this a disk you have viewed before?

C.

post #1269 of 2470 Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I also have never experienced this and I've been running my PZ85U since April. There was a time when I was watching Late Night with Conan and it seemed to be in a fog. I changed the channel to CNNHD (one of the gold standards in picture quality on my Comcast system) and the picture was wonderful so I chalked it up to the source. NBC is inconsistent, imho.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #1270 of 2470 Old 11-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd also add that whenever something like this arises the first course of action is to switch to a reference source such as BD or upconverted DVD. This way you eliminate the possibility of there being an actual problem with the panel. That's not to say there couldn't be a hardware or software problem, but if your BDs look good then you know it's somewhere else in the line, like your OTA or cable feed.

It also helps a bunch if you state exactly what your set-up is.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
post #1271 of 2470 Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

has anyone every used that selection to watch stuff on TV ??

I switched to that and left it at the default settings while watching NFL Games today and it didn't look bad.

Brighter Picture and skin tones I thought looked pretty good

Just curious if anyone has tried watching stuff at the default game mode settings for any period of time..
post #1272 of 2470 Old 11-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Too bright for me
post #1273 of 2470 Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Too bright for me

Too everything for me!

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #1274 of 2470 Old 11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

Too everything for me!

I would agree. Everything almost looks fluorescent.

post #1275 of 2470 Old 11-09-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieMarty View Post

No, since only the Cinema mode has a decent gamma profile, the other modes have a wierd gamma causing artifacts that I see in people's faces. I use only Cinema mode now for everything, and calibrated the settings with the Avia DVD.
post #1276 of 2470 Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the input on this subject..

wonder why they give us all these Settings..when Cinema is viewed by 99.9 % of the people on here as the best setting to use..
post #1277 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I switched to that and left it at the default settings while watching NFL Games today and it didn't look bad.

Brighter Picture and skin tones I thought looked pretty good

Just curious if anyone has tried watching stuff at the default game mode settings for any period of time..

I would have to check my settings...but properly adjusted, it's a nice option for playing my Wii. You have to knock down brightness and contrast for sure. Using the default setting and I feel the TV's lifespan slipping away

"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."
post #1278 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wonder why they give us all these Settings..when Cinema is viewed by 99.9 % of the people on here as the best setting to use..

It's a bit of a paradox actually.

These sets are geared more toward videophiles than not. That being the case you have to wonder who is buying plasma and then running it esentially in LCD mimic mode. Obviously there are many people who do this, and that's fine, but they would be better off with LCD. Not only is the picture more what they are looking for but the set will last longer.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
post #1279 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM

Not sure if any of you have seen this one. It's a cool article on setting Brightness and how to understand HDMI black levels and RGB and xvYCC...

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

I found it when I came across this in another forum. Alot of interresting "calibration" stuff ...

Ignore most of the yapping that came ofter the first post. Alot of argueing that is not helping.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32738

post #1280 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:

It depends on source. They all seem to work best in different situations...

CINEMA is best for my HDMI based BD and DVD content by far. The default WARM in Cinema is the most accurate if you are picky but a few people like NORMAL temp. Cinema looks like crap on my Digital TV signal from COAX. I would have to guess that a true HD TV source like HD Satalite feed with everything over HDMI would look right in Cinema as well.

STANDARD looks like right on my basic Digital TV over COAX viewing. Using STANDARD looks almost exactly like the RCA 27" CRT I have upstairs. A few bumps in Contrast from the default and a few clicks lower on the color and it looks great. Every channel presents a little different and nothing can be done about that.

GAME looks the most vibrant and PC like for my 360 and seems to be set to closely mimick PC output. Looks good when all the lights in the room are on and a game is played. Only problem is that is starts to hurt my eyes if I play for more than an hour or so i nDIM light. In which case my Cinema mode is good too. It changes depending on if I use COMPONENT or HDMI as well IIRC.

I have not played with CUSTOM. I would NEVER use VIVID in anything but GAME mode and I am still debating on that one.

C.

post #1281 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan_McDougal View Post

The only difference that I noticed was the very dark reds were not as deep on the pz80u. The greens were also very good, nearly on par with the pz800u. The color gradation of grass was very good, much better than before and a spot on match with the px800u. The only thing missing with the pz80u's green was in underwater scenes. The pz800u exhibited a faint green hue in the shallow water that the pz80u did not match. In the deep water it did match the pz800 with the green hue. The blue on both tv's were identical.

Duncan, nice post

Looks like you could now try increasing Red-Cut and Green-Drive.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1282 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Any good wall mount recommendations

xboxlive: BLACKSOULTRAIN or SILVERBACK XXL
post #1283 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM

monoprice.com has amazing wall mounts for about $30
post #1284 of 2470 Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Could someone tell me what the 'super-white' setting is on the PS3 and do you use it with the pz85?

Thanks!

Also, I think I'm going to settle w/ normal color temp. I just like my whites to actually be white, and not eggshell/almond/bisque whatever you want to call it.

post #1285 of 2470 Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Could someone tell me what the 'super-white' setting is on the PS3 and do you use it with the pz85?

Thanks!

Also, I think I'm going to settle w/ normal color temp. I just like my whites to actually be white, and not eggshell/almond/bisque whatever you want to call it.

I don't have a PS3 so I cannot test it. I know on my BD30 and 35 the whites in Warm are white and in NORMAL temp mode they are blueish.

I am betting it's source dependant.

C.

post #1286 of 2470 Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvearl View Post

Not sure if any of you have seen this one. It's a cool article on setting Brightness and how to understand HDMI black levels and RGB and xvYCC...

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

I found it when I came across this in another forum. Alot of interresting "calibration" stuff ...

Ignore most of the yapping that came ofter the first post. Alot of argueing that is not helping.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32738

Cliffs?
post #1287 of 2470 Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the review of what you see out of each of the Settings.

I never gave it a thought that the type of imput you are using or cable vs dish/direct might have a different effect on the Quality of picture you are getting

thanks again
post #1288 of 2470 Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbloodline View Post

Any good wall mount recommendations

monoprice.com has a great selection and great prices.
post #1289 of 2470 Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM

After reading all 44 pages last night (and playing around with settings again this morning) I think I'm now ready to post.

I have the TH-42PZ80U (Manufactured in August of 2008). Here are the settings I get from DVE SD played on a progressive scan (i.e. non-upconverting) JVC DVD player (connected via component):

Mode: Cinema
Picture: 44
Brightness: 28
Color: 44
Tint -7
Color Temp: Warm
Everything OFF
Size 1

There is no 0 or 7.5 IRE setting on this player (at least none that I've found). I verified my numbers with the THX Optimizer on SW III and the settings were essentially identical (± 1).

The Picture and Brightness settings are fine for DVD movies but it seems somewhat overly dark for Uverse TV (both SD & HD). If I raise my Picture & Brightness settings to adjust for Uverse I still don't hit the Picture 60-70 and Brightness 50-60 numbers the majority of you are getting.

My Uverse setop box is connected via component as well since the HDMI output on the set top box crushes blacks and I can NOT adjust the settings enough to fix it.

Here is my question:

1) How is it that my Picture and Brightness settings are vastly different from what most of you guys are getting here? What am I overlooking? I made sure that the Color Matrix setting was set to SD (which should only affect color anyways, right?).

I really am not sure where I'm going wrong (if at all).

Also, watching Uverse TV there is too much red (especially ESPN HD). I can get color to look good at Color: 33, Tint: -2. However, this doesn't look right when using the blue filter that came with DVE SD (or even using that same blue filter with the THX Optimizer on SW III). What's going on here? Is it the source (i.e. Uverse?).

While I can understand the color differences (if it's source related) I really don't get the Picture & Brightness setting differences.

I do have an HD-DVD player that I connected to test/verify if indeed the HDMI input on the TV was crushing blacks or if it was the Uverse set top box (I'm confident it's the box).

However, I never used my HD-DVD with my DVE SD DVD.
Would this make any difference with any of my settings?

I'm just stumped and frustrated that DVE/THX Optimizer is telling me one thing and my eyes tell me another.

FYI, my vision is good and I'm not color blind

I hope my rambling makes sense.

Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!
post #1290 of 2470 Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS23 View Post

Picture: 44
Brightness: 28
1) How is it that my Picture and Brightness settings are vastly different from what most of you guys are getting here? What am I overlooking?

Looks like you have the "black level" option set to DARK. The 50-52 settings most people arrive at are with black level set to LIGHT.

How are you determining that Picture needs to be set so low? The white won't bloom or bend on test patterns like a CRT so, in my limited experience with plasmas, you set it as high as possible without introducing noise or false contouring. In other words, just set it to your taste without going too high. In Cinema mode you can't really go too high (the firmware prevents it), but in other modes it is easy to get a noisy picture and "clay face" artifacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS23 View Post

Color: 44
Tint -7
Also, watching Uverse TV there is too much red (especially ESPN HD). I can get color to look good at Color: 33, Tint: -2. However, this doesn't look right when using the blue filter that came with DVE SD (or even using that same blue filter with the THX Optimizer on SW III). What's going on here? Is it the source (i.e. Uverse?).

The settings you arrived at with the test pattern are correct only for the blue channel. The problem you see on program material is what people are calling "red push" but technically it is inaccurate greyscale tracking. Most sets on the market since the beginning of time have poor greyscale (the 800 series with its THX mode is better than the 80 series in this respect).

As per earlier posts in this thread, you need to go tweaking in the service menu to tighten up the greyscale:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14423508

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page