Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 2470 Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
homerofwar, how did BB set the Service Controls (ie: a preset sheet, or ISF Calibration Hardware)? Just curious. Interesting they used Custom. What model is that for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 AM

Liked: 10
so i just read this whole thread front to back (since i'm on day two of breaking in my new 85U), and there's disappointingly little talk about gaming. i see the PS3 settings in the OP, but those seem to be the only ones suggested. anyone have any other recommendations? i'd like to try out a couple. and what about on 360? i'm using component (no HDMI model for me) and I'd love some settings. also, do you guys find that it's better on 720p or 1080i through component on 360?

gamers -- help me please. thanks!
post #213 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

720p should be best for games, most if not nearly all 360 games are only 720p. As for settings the settings quoted in the first posts of the thread would be fine for gaming, if you want something brighter try the custom mode and tweak it to your liking. Personally I use 60 contrast, 50 brightness, 44 color and -2 tint with a warm color temperature on the custom setting and I find it good for daytime stuff and gaming

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #214 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerofwar View Post

This is how best buy will collaborate it

Custom
Contrast +100

That seems horribly wrong unless they've changed something significant in the SM, contrast of 100 in custom burns out my eyes and washes out whites

post #215 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 04:12 AM

100 is too high.
post #216 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 AM

I agree 100 is not a good number, even before I had my set ISF calibrated I never went above 70 and never used the Custom Mode.
post #217 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 04:45 AM

Im talking with Chad Billheimer now, close to setting an appointment. Will post my calibration results when I have them
post #218 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Should I bother buying DVE-BR? Or will the setting s posted at the beginning of the thread do just as well?

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
post #219 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

homerofwar, how did BB set the Service Controls (ie: a preset sheet, or ISF Calibration Hardware)? Just curious. Interesting they used Custom. What model is that for?

im not sure what hardware they used, i will ask next time im there.

but this was the 50PZ85U model, it was in the little section where they have the 2 black home theater seats, and the surround sound system. But not every bestbuy has the calibration report sitting out in front of it, the one in saratoga (closer to me) only has the graph chart, I had to go to the one in Albany to see it (which is much larger store)

But i must say the picture was truly amazing, i do agree when i saw the 100 contrast i was like "that seems to high".
post #220 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

Should I bother buying DVE-BR? Or will the setting s posted at the beginning of the thread do just as well?

My newest ones are right off my DVE BD results.
post #221 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

My newest ones are right off my DVE BD results.

Good enough for me!

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
post #222 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerofwar View Post

This is how best buy will collaborate it

Custom
Contrast +100
Brightness +56
Color +46
Tint -3
Sharpness +46
Color Temp Warm
Color Mng Off
CATS N/A
Video NR N/A
3DY/C Filter N/A
Color Matrix N/A
M-Peg N/A
Black N/A

SERIVE CONTROLS
Red Drive F6
Green Drive F8
Blue Driver A7
Red Cutoff +83
Green cutoff +80
Blue Cutoff +82

Those settings are extremely poor for this panel. Gamma, in particular will be nowhere near where it should be (2.2-2.5). The picture will be too red, gray scale errors will be much larger and much more visible than the panel is capable of. The 100% white window is going to be much too bright for a dark room, and at least 1 color is going to be running out of gas in the 90%-100% luminance range.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #223 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Hi,
I just got my DVR with HDMI from Comcast. Prior to that I have been using Tom's settings for break in period with cable directly going to my coax in and the picture looks pretty good. Last nite, I set up the DVR and start using the HDMI as my TV input, and the same settings looked horrible. So, I understand it's a different source and maybe that's why. Is that normal?

Also, the question I have is that how I would be able to calibrate for the HDMI input from the DVR box? I plan to calibrate my DVD input with DVE, but don't know how I could calibrate the HDMI input from the DVR...help would be appreciated.

sy
post #224 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Is the dvr set to 1080i? Not set to 480i or something?
post #225 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Is the dvr set to 1080i? Not set to 480i or something?

I don't know if there is a setting for that Comcast box. I am not even using the DVR feature yet, it's just like a HD cable box for now. So, from what I know, they output whatever the source is. Correct me if I am wrong though.

sy.
post #226 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrash View Post

I don't know if there is a setting for that Comcast box. I am not even using the DVR feature yet, it's just like a HD cable box for now. So, from what I know, they output whatever the source is. Correct me if I am wrong though.

sy.

I dunno. Many cable boxes dont pass thru native. Find the local cable hdtv thread on this site and ask to be sure.
post #227 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:

sy.

turn it off, then hit MENU. it waill reboot into a service menu of sorts, where you can change it to 1080i.
post #228 of 2470 Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Those settings are extremely poor for this panel. Gamma, in particular will be nowhere near where it should be (2.2-2.5). The picture will be too red, gray scale errors will be much larger and much more visible than the panel is capable of. The 100% white window is going to be much too bright for a dark room, and at least 1 color is going to be running out of gas in the 90%-100% luminance range.

I guess thats best buy for you lol
post #229 of 2470 Old 05-25-2008, 07:31 AM

I have a 50PZ800U, can I use the calibration settings for the 80/85 or is this a completely different animal? I have searched for a PZ800U Calibration thread with no luck.

Also, I am considering professional calibration and I live in Savannah, GA. Can anyone reccomend someone in the area that will do this for me?
post #230 of 2470 Old 05-25-2008, 07:46 AM

Start with the calibration forum, and search the calibrators thread for your area. Thats how I found the guy Im going to use, and luckily he was we recommended on here. He's just busy as heck so Im still waiting to setup my date
post #231 of 2470 Old 05-25-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Hi,
I just got my DVR with HDMI from Comcast. Prior to that I have been using Tom's settings for break in period with cable directly going to my coax in and the picture looks pretty good. Last nite, I set up the DVR and start using the HDMI as my TV input, and the same settings looked horrible. So, I understand it's a different source and maybe that's why. Is that normal?
sy

Lots of great information for setting up STB:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719
post #232 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 03:22 AM

Hello people,

I live in the EU (netherlands to be exact) and i've bought myself a 42PZ85 plasma, and I installed it last weekend. I've read about the calibration and i've read this settings-topic, but i cannot find some settings mentioned in this thread ...

So i just want to ask where i can find the options "HD Size" and the opion "Black Level" (and if applicable) how i can adjust them ? Does anyone know where i can find these settings, or what their equivalent is in the European models (wich have different menu's) ?

Thx in advance
post #233 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Both are in advanced; hit menu, go down to the picture setting then down below "sharpness" then all the way to the bottom of page 2 to "advanced picture" then enter. You'll find both the black level setting and the size setting. Remember, the size setting only applies to hi-def sources. Size 2 gives the best picture but it's not always usable; sometimes you'll get a line on the left, right, top or bottom of the screen and you'll want to switch back to size 1.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #234 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 AM

Thanx

But i cant remember seeing an "advanced settings" in my picture-settings. But i've only got is a few days now, could have easily missed it. But on the other hand, there are quite e few differences between the US en the EU models.

I'll see later on today, and let you know if i have found it
post #235 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 AM

Have owned the 42PZ85U for two weeks and I have a video noise concern. I've been seeing an excessive amount of it in Custom mode. I read the cnet review which seems to confirm this to be an issue. Is there excessive noise with this model? I changed my settings to the following Cinema settings which has reduced noise, but the picture is dark for my taste. I prefer Custom but I can't find accompanying settings for Custom that will eliminate noise. I called Panasonic and they said I was the first to report the noise issue. They are sending a technician to help me. Any thoughts? Also, does anyone have good settings for SD viewing? SD seems much worse than I expected so it must be my settings...
Cinema
Picture +70
Brightness +52
Color +44
Tint -3
Sharpness +51
post #236 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlewis1 View Post

Have owned the 42PZ85U for two weeks and I have a video noise concern. I've been seeing an excessive amount of it in Custom mode. I read the cnet review which seems to confirm this to be an issue. Is there excessive noise with this model? I changed my settings to the following Cinema settings which has reduced noise, but the picture is dark for my taste. I prefer Custom but I can't find accompanying settings for Custom that will eliminate noise. I called Panasonic and they said I was the first to report the noise issue. They are sending a technician to help me. Any thoughts? Also, does anyone have good settings for SD viewing? SD seems much worse than I expected so it must be my settings...
Cinema
Picture +70
Brightness +52
Color +44
Tint -3
Sharpness +51

The default setting of Contrast (Picture) +100 will show noise on bad feeds. Have you tried lowering the setting to +60 and reducing the sharpness down around +30? I find SD viewing is all about the quality of the feed, some channels look pretty good and some look unwatchable, the TV can only do so much with lowres feeds.
post #237 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 06:26 AM

Artslinger,
You mean Picture +60 and Sharpness to +30 for Custom? Regarding SD, do you think it would help if I switched to SVideo?
post #238 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlewis1 View Post

Cinema
Picture +70
Brightness +52
Color +44
Tint -3
Sharpness +51

This TV isn't very good with bad sources, if you're seeing excess noise either your source is naturally grainy or bad. If you are using Custom make sure you have your contrast set below 60, it is already wayy brighter than Cinema is at 60 even at 50. I have a 27" LCD monitor beside my TV and I can honestly say the TV isn't adding any extra noise with reasonable settings. If you want proof of a noise free image find a copy of Lost on Blu Ray, cleanest HD picture in my collection and it looks spectacular. On HD satellite and certain HD movies I notice a bit more grain than before but I'm coming from a smaller TV so it is normal that this TV will make picture defaults more apparent. If you still find it bothersome feel free to call the tech but I'm pretty sure that there's not much he can do for you, it's not a defect.

post #239 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 06:44 AM

Patrick,
My source is Comcast HD via DVR. I can't really rate this source but I've heard good and bad.... I notice noise most on ESPNHD in Custom mode (but I will adjust the contrast as you noted). Thanks for the tip re: Lost... I agree on the tech but Panasonic wants to try this route so why not... Question: I'm using Comcast's HDMI cable which was free of course. Would you recommend buying a better quality HDMI cable from BB or CC?
post #240 of 2470 Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Cables will only help if you are losing your signal, I think the problem sounds more like an overloaded cable network. I've got satellite and I notice a lot of compression being used which can sometimes make the HD picture look undersatured and blocky. There's no real way around it almost all HD providers use major compression that ruins the picture. The only way to get a 100% clean signal is over the air if you can get that in your area. I agree the tech cannot hurt since Panasonic is sending one out already. Who knows maybe a firmware fix could made the other modes comparable to cinema?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page