Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty73 View Post

I actually tuned the Sub-Brightness down since I found that tuning the user menu brightness, to offset the service menu Contrast, would cause me to lose detail in dark areas of the picture.

However, when I use sort of a Sub-Brightness/user menu brightness combo, I can come to a point where I'm not losing details in blacks, or whites really for that matter, and the line before "Reference Black" on AVCHD is barely visible. You don't think that Sub-Brightness and user menu brightness affect the picture of the panel in different ways?

They're exactly the same except that sub-brt is more granular so each increment makes a larger difference. Also, sub-brt defines what the default user menu brightness setting means. When you're in the service menu, user brightness is always at factory defaults. So, if you adjust sub-brt with a black clipping pattern, then when you re-enter the user menu and press reset in the picture menu, the default user brightness setting will be the correct value. Adjusting both has no benefit, since the only reason the "sub" prefix is added to the name is because it defines what the default user menu brightness means. The other settings in the SM like contrast, color, and tint are also sub-controls, but for some reason they aren't labeled as such.

BTW, I'm 100% sure about this and have asked many pro calibrators to be sure. There is nothing special about sub-brt compared to regular brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
Can someone tell me how to rest the service menu to their default values?
Holding 'OK' for 3 seconds doesn't seem to do anything for me.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg_fan View Post

Hi
Can someone tell me how to rest the service menu to their default values?
Holding 'OK' for 3 seconds doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Impossible. You must have written down all defaults that you wish to change back before changing those settings. You can only restore each setting you changed manually by re-entering the default values that you should have already written down. Also, white balance settings vary from set to set, so you can't copy someone else's settings.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Friends of Panasonic PZ80/PZ85, just a gentle note about all this talk about service menu settings and changes made in there. While this site has many, many knowledgible people & members, please stay out of the SM and only let a technician adjust your SM setting. Please enjoy your plasma TV.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Greetings,
I just calibrated greyscale on a PZ80 using CalMan and a Chroma 5 meter.
I ended up with a very flat response from 30-80 IRE close to 6500K.
What do you do about the low dip at 20 IRE ~6000K?
Is it worth fighting to bump it up and sacrifice a bit of the flat response up high?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Hello,

My 1st attempt at calibrating my 42PZ85EA with approx. 2400 hours on it.
I used ColorHCFR and an X-rite eye-one display 2 colorimeter.

Results attached. I am very satisfied with color rendition in warm cinema mode but the last issue I need to resolve is white saturation. Whites become saturated quite often on intense lighted scenes. Anyone know which setting affects this?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 939 View Post

Hello,

Results attached. I am very satisfied with color rendition in warm cinema mode but the last issue I need to resolve is white saturation. Whites become saturated quite often on intense lighted scenes. Anyone know which setting affects this?

First of all, your grayscale can get much better if you aim to get all deltaE's below 3. I was able to get everything below 2.0 from 10% to 100%.

Second of all, there is no such thing as white saturation as whites and grays are calibrated to D65 which has 0% saturation because it has no color in it. If you actually mean the whites can get too bright in scenes that have a lot of white in them, then you must lower contrast until it's no longer too bright. Aim for 30 to 35 fL with a 100% white window.
LL
Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Greetings,
I just calibrated greyscale on a PZ80 using CalMan and a Chroma 5 meter.
I ended up with a very flat response from 30-80 IRE close to 6500K.
What do you do about the low dip at 20 IRE ~6000K?
Is it worth fighting to bump it up and sacrifice a bit of the flat response up high?

Yes, it's worth trying. I was able to get a flat response from 10% to 100% (see attached jpg in above post). However, your C5 is likely more accurate than my i1 D2 is and so I might have the same issue and not know it (though I haven't seen any evidence of a reddish or yellow tint in dark scenes). Also, focus on dE and not color temp, the former is much more precise than the latter.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

First of all, your grayscale can get much better if you aim to get all deltaE's below 3. I was able to get everything below 2.0 from 10% to 100%.

Second of all, there is no such thing as white saturation as whites and grays are calibrated to D65 which has 0% saturation because it has no color in it. If you actually mean the whites can get too bright in scenes that have a lot of white in them, then you must lower contrast until it's no longer too bright. Aim for 30 to 35 fL with a 100% white window.

Thanks I can easily get everything to below 3% given the results I got.
Green being the reference as I understand it it should not be touched, correct?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks I can easily get everything to below 3% given the results I got.
Green being the reference as I understand it it should not be touched, correct?

Green shouldn't be touched in most cases; I would simply leave it alone in your case. dE is not a percentage but rather a measure of error. Get it under 2-3 for best results.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 AM

Can anybody give me the Service Menu access proceedure for the PZ80/81

Thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi all,
I really hope someoNe can offer some advice.

I have had the 46pz85B for some time now and generally very happy. However, i cannot shake the feeling that cinema mode is somewhat off. I have had the set calibrated and everything set so that in cinema mode the default settings are accurate. However, when using it, the picture lacks punch. It's almost as if it's a bit too airy/'washed out.' this goes away if I turn down the brightness but of course then I lose detail.

Swithing to normal mode makes th picture alot punchier, but loses detail. Is cinema meant to be like this, am I going mad etc? Should cinema only be used in low light conditions?

Apprecite your help.

James
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM

JamesP1701, give the cinema mode time and your viewing tastes will adjust to it. Cimema set with warm temp is the correct way to view DVD's and BR disc's. Side question, I am not familar with the PZ85"B" number, what country do you reside in?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Guy View Post

JamesP1701, give the cinema mode time and your viewing tastes will adjust to it. Cimema set with warm temp is the correct way to view DVD's and BR disc's. Side question, I am not familar with the PZ85"B" number, what country do you reside in?

Thanks for that. So, do you understand what it was I was trying to say and is ite mant to be like this? The B is for Britain.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Guy View Post

Sorry, meant to add, should the cinema mode be used for daytime viewing of sd tv?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 AM

Cinema mode looks washed out because the gamma is set to 2.0 when it should be 2.2. To see what I am talking about try going into your video card settings and adjusting the gamma control up and down. Increase it so the picture looks too bright and washed out and that is essentially what you have with a Pansonic in default Cinema mode.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_blue View Post

Cinema mode looks washed out because the gamma is set to 2.0 when it should be 2.2. To see what I am talking about try going into your video card settings and adjusting the gamma control up and down. Increase it so the picture looks too bright and washed out and that is essentially what you have with a Pansonic in default Cinema mode.

Thank you very much for this and for your response in the other thread. How do I go about adjustig gamma as it's giving me a real headache!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my pz85 there is no good default setting.
As mentioned before the cinema mode has bad gamma, on top of that it adds a blur filter causing washed out and overbrightened near blacks.

The other modes all crush whites like mad.

Is there any way to adjust the gamma using the gains and cuts?
Seems to me its impossible...?

The green gamma was perfect however at default, the blue one was waaaay off. (much too bright)
So at the moment im using my videocard to try and fix the gamma for cinema mode, however i cannot totally fix it, cuz the color balance will be off too much in the midrange, which i cannot fix using the cuts and gains. (too green)
So in order to fix the blue gamma i had to worsen the green gamma, so a midway "bad" setting seems best.

Next time i buy a tv im sure not to rely on solely reviews by people, but actually bring a laptop and use my test files to check gamma and basic colors etc.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello,

In my pz85e the whites get crushed by the maximum current limiter.
In order words, calibrate the whites using a small white window (1/8th area or so) instead of full screen.
And yea only mode that doesnt crush like mad is cinema, but as noted this mode isnt perfect either.
Next tv will surely not be a panasonic here, seeing how much more they couldve gotten out of the plasma technology if they actually bothered writing a decent firmware.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey guys, first time posting in this thread.
just wanted to know, besides the advanced settings, are the majority of people here using Tom's settings:
Cinema
Picture: 60
Brightness: 52
Color: 41
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Warm
Black Level: Light
?

This is what I am using currently. just wanted to make sure this is still a good choice of options. thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM

skads_187 - yes to Tom's settings. Sometimes these setting are not the best for broadcast TV, but DVD's and BR look great. Approaching 4,000 hours and I still think it looks great.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:05 AM

Dumb question incoming: I'm set up for Tom's settings, yet under 'Advanced Picture' the 'Black Level' option is grayed out and defaulted to Dark. Trying to find a way to change this to light. Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM

klevr - tune the TV to a HD channel displaying 1080i, then go into the "advanced picture" and the black level will be unlocked for you to adjust.

10/04/2010 - correction - "Black Level" is disabled because it is not needed or used for broad-cast TV.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Are there any commonly used settings to get a brighter picture with more green for watching football? I have used Toms settings for every day watching but it doesnt really do it for me for watching sports.

Also, ive how can I accomplish this without causing to much blurriness around the images?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8513 View Post

Are there any commonly used settings to get a brighter picture with more green for watching football? I have used Toms settings for every day watching but it doesnt really do it for me for watching sports.

Also, ive how can I accomplish this without causing to much blurriness around the images?

I would stay away from using other peoples settings. You should buy a good calibration DVD like GetGray $25 (http://www.calibrate.tv/), and you'd be surprised how much different your settings may be from someone else.

I started using other peoples settings from this thread for the first couple years, then ran the GetGray DVD and my numbers where completely different, it was shocking how much better my picture looked after doing this.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Try the avshd 709 disc available on this site for free. It has all the patterns required for brightness, contrast and color. However it does not have the colored glasses for setting color and tint. Try DVE basic HD available at Best Buy for 25 bucks with blue,green,red filters.
Here is the thread for the AVS disc. D/L and burn it and youare ready to go.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac8513 View Post

Personally, when I'm watching sports, I can't stand "warm".

Its fine for movies, but not for sports.

I have a sports mode which has the color temp. set to "Normal" and I pump up the Picture to about 70.

The screen really pops with those settings. BTW I do those settngs on Cinema mode with everything else calibrated correctly.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 PM

When I watch Sunday night football on NBC-HD, the picture is gorgous (sp?) but most of the college football I have seen is not in Hi-Def. SD signals on my plasma are just plan awful, and the color is subdued.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

instead of Cinema ..

Seems like Cinema is too Dark for my liking and Custom seems to make the picture pop more and everyone who I have over to see the set agree's with me.

The whites look whiter and the darks are still good.

Under Cinema I had trouble seeing home plate of a night games (that area was dark) while changing it to Custom everything brighten up and to me it looked better.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:09 AM

Ladies & Gents, please remember that we have chosen to own a Plasma TV. The extra color and pop is a LCD charateristic. Plasma is a smooth and natural appearance. In real life, the ice of a hockey rink is not pure white, it is mixed with all the other colors. As suggested in the post above, use a calibration disc, it will really help.