Samsung PN50A450 Offical Owners Thread. - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3158 Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

A proposed Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit involving certain Samsung televisions. In cooperation with the District Court of Oklahoma County, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. is offering a settlement for certain Samsung-branded televisions manufactured prior to December 31, 2008. You may be entitled to receive the benefits of this proposed Class Action Settlement if you purchased, acquired or otherwise owned any of the following Samsung-branded televisions, and the television is experiencing or has experienced the "Covered TV Symptom(s)" as described in the proposed Settlement. The class action lawsuit alleges a defect that may cause the television to experience symptoms such as not turning on, experiencing a delay in turning on, making a clicking sound, cycling on and off, or other similar problems. Samsung denies the allegations in the lawsuit, but has agreed to settle the lawsuit to avoid the costs and uncertainty of continued litigation.

Televisions covered under this settlement:

LCD:LN-T******/XAA; LN**A******XZA; LNS4041DX/XAA; LNS4051DX/XAA; LNS4052DX/XAA; LNS5296DX/XAA

Plasma:HPT5034X/XAA; HPT5044X/XAA; HPT5054X/XAA; HPT5064X/XAA; PN42A410C1DXZA; PN42A450P1DXZA; PN50A410C1DXZA; PN50A450P1DXZA; PN50A460S4DXZA

DLP:HLT5087SAX/XAA; HLT5087SX/XAA; HLT5089SAX/XAA; HLT5089SX/XAA; HLT5687SAX/XAA; HLT5687SX/XAA; HLT5689SAX/XAA; HLT5689SX/XAA; HLT6187SAX/XAA; HLT6187SX/XAA; HLT6189SAX/XAA; HLT6189SX/XAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3158 Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlt View Post

"Covered TV Symptom(s)" ... a defect that may cause the television to experience symptoms such as not turning on, experiencing a delay in turning on, making a clicking sound, cycling on and off, or other similar problems.

My television has this problem but I'm in Canada so I'm not covered by this Class Action Settlement.

Samsung Canada offers courtesy repair of this capacitor problem on certain LCD models but not plasma or DLP, yet these are covered in the settlment.

The repair is straightforward for anyone comfortable with a soldering iron. Replacement parts (properly rated capacitors) should cost less than a few dollars.
post #3153 of 3158 Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM

I got mine fixed today. A new power supply board. I only had the intermittent problem 2 times. First time, taking it off the wall fixed it (jarred just enough) the 2nd time, a firm strike of the palm to the bezel restarted it. I got the email, and called same day, very painless, but for the second CSR I spoke to @ Samsung. I had to call back with my SN, and the 2nd CSR gave me the 3rd degree on what's wrong.
post #3154 of 3158 Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Hey everyone. My buddy just picked up an open-box customer return 59" D550 last night from Best Buy. As soon as we set it up we popped in the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray and got down to calibrating.

Everything went well, but for some reason we can't get the contrast set properly so either the flashing bars on the contrast pattern show up or he contrast bars about a third of the way to the right on the PLUGE High pattern.

Any tips?

Shameless Panasonic plasma fanboy || Engadget contributing editor || Follow me on Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3155 of 3158 Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My pn50a450 has developed a defect -- it won't stay in either standard or movie mode, but keeps reverting to dynamic mode, and the contrast control also spontaneously changes to 100. I've decided to replace it, but before I give it away, I wonder if there's any adjustment I could make to restore some sanity to the set. I have a vague recollection that there is a special demo mode for store display, but I don't remember how to change into or out of that mode.

Thanks for any help. It's been a very nice set.

Greg Lee
post #3156 of 3158 Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM

this help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortald3ath View Post

All, here's the response I got from Samsung regarding shop mode and how to disable it for DLP's. This was a response to my HL-T5076S continually reverting back to shop mode.

If you have a 2007 Samsung TV (HPT series, FPT series, LNT series, HLT series, or TXT series), or a 2008 Samsung TV (LN, HL, PN or TXT series) and your TV keeps returning to the Dynamic mode, it means that your TV is set to

Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Essentially, Shop Mode and Store Demo Mode return the TV automatically to the Dynamic Mode (and other default settings) in thirty minutes. It is usually used by retailers who want to demonstrate functions to customers, and then want the TV to return to certain default settings without the bother of manually resetting the TV.
Removing Your TV from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode

First, confirm your TV is in Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode:

1. Press the INFO button on your remote control. A list of settings appears.
2. See if the Picture Mode setting is set to Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

There are three methods for removing your TV from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode. If the first method does not work, try the second or third method.
Method 1

To remove your TV from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode, follow these steps:

1. Press the Volume button on the side panel of your TV. If your TV does not have a side panel, press the Volume button on the front panel. The TV displays the volume bar.
2. Press the Menu button on the side panel of your TV for about seven seconds. Again, if your TV does not have a side panel, press the Menu button on the front panel. If Dynamic or Dynamic Mode is displayed on the screen, your TV has been removed from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Note: You may want to press the INFO button on your remote again to confirm you TV is no longer in Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Method 2

1. Press the Volume button on your remote. The TV displays the volume bar.
2. Press the Menu button on the side panel of your TV for about seven seconds. Again, if your TV does not have a side panel, press the Menu button on the front panel. If Dynamic or Dynamic Mode is displayed on the screen, your TV has been removed from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Note: You may want to press the INFO button on your remote again to confirm you TV is no longer in Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

Method 3

1. Press and hold the Volume button on your TV. The TV displays the volume bar.
2. As you are holding the Volume button, press the Menu button on the side panel of your TV for about seven seconds. Again, if your TV does not have a side panel, press the Menu button on the front panel. If Dynamic or Dynamic Mode is displayed on the screen, your TV has been removed from Shop Mode or Store Demo Mode.

"look, I can't think of another way to say this... when she said 'ohh, that is So Mac'...
welll... I'm pretty sure she didn't mean that as a compliment, ok?"

carpe` cervesi
knf
post #3157 of 3158 Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yes! Thanks, Phr3d. That was the problem -- my a450 somehow got shifted to "shop mode", where after 30 minutes, it automatically gets reset to neon-type awful-looking mode. The procedure you found for changing from "shop" back to "home" mode didn't work, but I found another method that does work (though I don't yet know whether the set will stay in "home" mode):
[from a Samsung Troubleshooting guide]

Turning Off Shop Mode

Important: If you use this method, all the settings saved on your TV will be erased and returned to their factory defaults.

To turn off Shop Mode, follow these steps:

1. Press the SOURCE button on your remote, and then set the TV to the RF source.

Note: This source is labeled either DTV or AIR.

2. Press the MENU button to open the Main Menu.
3. Use the ▲ or ▼ arrow button to select the Setup portion of the Main Menu, and then press ENTER.
4. Plug & Play should be highlighted by default. Press ENTER to begin the Plug & Play procedure.

Note: If Plug & Play is grayed out, it means your TV is not on the RF source. Return to Step 1.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions in the Plug & Play procedure. When prompted to select Home or Shop, select Home.
6. Complete the Plug & Play procedure.
7. Your TV is no longer in Shop Mode.

If your TV continues to return to the default settings on its own, your TV has a defect and needs to be serviced. Click the Create Online Service Request button below to begin the service process.

Greg Lee
post #3158 of 3158 Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM

Liked: 14
My tv just developed a black line that is about 1 to 2 pixel widths thick and runs the entire width of the tv. I have owned the tv since 08.. and find this frustrating. Anyone know a fix?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page