post #361 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexy123 View Post

i am usually a "low contrast guy" myself...i would've never go beyond 75 or so....but wife set contrast to 83 watching Star Wars...and i have to admit movies come to life.
The TV actually excells with displaying very bright, contrasty and life-like images...unlike other sets where high contrast rather distorts. This TV actually runs very well 85ish - 90ish contrast.
Watch some HD (!!!) movie, something with city scenes at night...you will understand

But, after all, it's still a matter of taste.

in regards to calibration:

Forget it....this TV at movie setting already is top notch, and (agreeing with CNET there) does NOT need a lot or any "so called" calibration AT ALL. If set to movie (which i prefer)...MAYBE just adjust saturation down an notch (44ish +/-) ..MAYBE gamma -1, but otherwise there is certainly no need to call a "calibrator" and let em do stuff a baby can do in 2mins on the remote.
If you really want you can get some SMTPE color bar image or video and adjust sat, tint, brightness etc. using the "blue only modus"...but you will likely end up at defaults anyway..maybe one or two notches below factory defs, that's it.

Same here: Usually am a low contrast guy also below 70 - 95% of the time.
Also agree that setting contrast higher than that norm for nite scenes really make movies like Batman Begins pop.
I've been sitting on a DVE calibration disc for several months now.
Have not even touched it. Not sure if their 'paint by numbers' would deter from my current personal settings - which are very personal as you;ve said.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan349 View Post

Yeah, I don't really like the Warm2 color setting most people seem to claim is best.

Warm1 and Normal work the best depending on the content.

warm 2 gets it closest to the 6500k standard which is what movies were meant to be watched in... other forms of media like videogames will not use this so warm2 isn't ideal for them
post #363 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post

warm 2 gets it closest to the 6500k standard which is what movies were meant to be watched in... other forms of media like videogames will not use this so warm2 isn't ideal for them

In general everything is meant to be seen in 65k, videogames included. It's possible that Japanese games are meant to be seen in 93k, since I've read that's basically the standard over there.
post #364 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourbigpalal83 View Post

And last question. I got all the HD gaming systems set up for 720P but im planing on leaving my cable box at 1080I because i love me my FU tv and monster movie channel and im not sure, but i think they only broadcast in 1080i. Will i be hurting my set or image quality leaving the cable box output to Pass through (it will display what ever the resolution of the broadcast image)

Try passthrough and see if you like the way it looks. Chances are it will look slightly better than fixing the output to 1080i, at least on 720p channels. The difference may not be visible.

Either way it's not going to hurt the TV
post #365 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Purchased the Samsung PN50A450 over the weekend. There is more reflection than my 4 year old rear projection Panasonic, but you only notice it on dark scenes, when watching during the day. Otherwise the picture is bright, beautiful and clear. There are many input options and I even attached my laptop without a problem. I couldn't wait for delivery so I went down and got it at Best Buy.

I've been enjoying my 1st plasma for the past three days. I have seen only very minor traces of IR and the set is very quiet, when compared to my old rear projection TV with it's cooling fans.

Technology and price has come a long way when I compare the $3,400 I paid for the 50 " rear projection Panasonic 4 years ago to the $1,300 for the 50" plasma Samsung today.

Randy
post #366 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

In general everything is meant to be seen in 65k, videogames included. It's possible that Japanese games are meant to be seen in 93k, since I've read that's basically the standard over there.

Well, it might be the way it's "meant" to be seen, but to me it looks bad. It looks way too yellow/green, which is surprising for a color tone that's supposed to make whites "reddish".

Perhaps the tint needs to be adjusted towards red when using Warm2?
post #367 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by windozed View Post

I got this TV a week ago. The picture is fantastic. However, since i got it 7 days ago, I've noticed that when I first turn the TV on in the morning (after it's been off all night) it clicks, but doesn't turn on. The power on melody doesn't play. If I push the power button a 2nd time, it clicks and the power on melody plays and the TV comes on and works just fine the rest of the day. Throughout the rest of the day, when I power off and on, this doesn't occur again, only first thing in the morning. In the 7 days I've had it, it's happened about half of those mornings. Anyone else experience something similiar?

Not sure if I should exchange it for the same model or a Panasonic. I don't want to exchange it for the same model and risk a problem down the road.

I have the same problem, does anyone else have this problem? Any updates windozed?
post #368 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy55 View Post

Technology and price has come a long way when I compare the $3,400 I paid for the 50 " rear projection Panasonic 4 years ago to the $1,300 for the 50" plasma Samsung today.

its just a a couple of months ago..i was at a store and saw similar (maysbe even worse!!) "big screen TVs" on display....and those were like 4-5 EU Grand. I think $1200 for such a TV is a steal.
post #369 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv1981 View Post

I have the same problem, does anyone else have this problem? Any updates windozed?

whow...you seriously would consider exchanging the set since it doesnt turn on right away first in the morning?

On a side-note...i think the remote is VERY sluggish....maybe it interferes with something i have running here...but things like that..why would you return the set for such a minor issue?
post #370 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexy123 View Post

whow...you seriously would consider exchanging the set since it doesnt turn on right away first in the morning?

On a side-note...i think the remote is VERY sluggish....maybe it interferes with something i have running here...but things like that..why would you return the set for such a minor issue?

If it was mine I wouldn't give it a second thought on returning it. It may be a small problem now, but it could turn into a big problem later.

I haven't really noticed my remote being sluggish at all...
post #371 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:

No, power saving is off.

The graininess is kind of bothersome, I notice it all the time. It's like some of the "pixels" (what's the term for plasmas?) are flickering very rapidly, but it happens evenly over the whole screen.

Noise reduction doesn't do anything, changing sharpness doesn't do anything, edge enhancement doesn't do anything, and the "grain layer" is there on every input source.

I see that same graininess with my TV also. When I get up close to it, I can see a bunch of little dots. I have to be about 2 ft to see it and its moslty around dark shadows. Its like I see bright pixels in whats supposed to be a dark scene. I also have an lcd and dont see this. This is my first plasma so I dont know if its normal. Does anyone else see this? Its mostly present when playing video games. The guy who said it looks like the Mass Effect graininess was right on. Anyone else own a different brand plasma that can compare? I want to know if I got a defective unit.
post #372 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
That's pretty severe if it looks like the Mass Effect grain all the time (especially if it's present on a good source). There are three things I can think of: 1. Your brightness is too high, which adds green pixels to the screen (even when the screen is supposed to be black). Keep an eye on the screen and play with the brightness to see if this grain comes and goes when you raise/lower the brightness. 2. Your set is defective. I had to return my a450 because it was doing this when shading/smoothness should have been present, among other things (although Samsung wasn't sure if it was defective or not). 3. You are looking too close for problems and the set is working like it should.

I don't suppose you can show a decent picture of it? Does the grain freeze when you pause it on a movie, or does it keep bouncing around? I now have a px80u and would be happy to compare if you could show a common game or blu-ray movie picture to compare to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post

I see that same graininess with my TV also. When I get up close to it, I can see a bunch of little dots. I have to be about 2 ft to see it and its moslty around dark shadows. Its like I see bright pixels in whats supposed to be a dark scene. I also have an lcd and dont see this. This is my first plasma so I dont know if its normal. Does anyone else see this? Its mostly present when playing video games. The guy who said it looks like the Mass Effect graininess was right on. Anyone else own a different brand plasma that can compare? I want to know if I got a defective unit.

post #373 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Yep, that was me. It does look like the ME grain filter, and you described it right as well -- a bunch of little dots around dark areas, although it's visible in colored areas as well if you look hard enough. I can see the grain from six feet away, mainly because I'm always looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

That's pretty severe if it looks like the Mass Effect grain all the time (especially if it's present on a good source). There are three things I can think of: 1. Your brightness is too high, which adds green pixels to the screen (even when the screen is supposed to be black). Keep an eye on the screen and play with the brightness to see if this grain comes and goes when you raise/lower the brightness. 2. Your set is defective. I had to return my a450 because it was doing this when shading/smoothness should have been present, among other things (although Samsung wasn't sure if it was defective or not). 3. You are looking too close for problems and the set is working like it should.

I don't suppose you can show a decent picture of it? Does the grain freeze when you pause it on a movie, or does it keep bouncing around? I now have a px80u and would be happy to compare if you could show a common game or blu-ray movie picture to compare to.

The grain does NOT freeze, it's constant. It's especially visible when loading up a game and the loading screen is black with white text in the middle. It also does not change with the brightess -- I can see it on zero brightness and 100 brightness. I tried taking a picture of it, but I get so many scan lines in the picture it's kind of useless.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just noticed something. When I set the color temperature to Warm1, TONS of pixels -- and I mean almost every -- pixel on the screen is flickering red, on and off. It's like the entire screen is snowing red. It goes away when I set the color temp to anything else, but there are still a few pixels that flicker red, blue, or white. WTF is going on?

EDIT 2: Ok, the weird pixel color flickering *does* go away with lowered brightness. I have to drop the brightness below 40 -- is that normal?
post #374 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Ok here are some pictures of the xbox dashboard and a dark scene in Condemmed (Last Pic). The first pic is the dashboard from far and the second is a closeup. Notice the different color pixels? Hope they come out alright.
LL
LL
LL
post #375 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Heres another ceiling pic of a building in Condemmed.
LL
post #376 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Holy crap, I just noticed something. When I set the color temperature to Warm1, TONS of pixels -- and I mean almost every -- pixel on the screen is flickering red, on and off. It's like the entire screen is snowing red.

Didn't someone else have this earlier on in this thread (red pixels everywhere) and they changed one of the offsets (in the menu somewhere) and it went away?
post #377 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Heres another ceiling pic of a building in Condemmed.

Quote:

Ok here are some pictures of the xbox dashboard and a dark scene in Condemmed (Last Pic). The first pic is the dashboard from far and the second is a closeup. Notice the different color pixels? Hope they come out alright.

YES! Good shots, legnaz, they display the problem perfectly.

That's EXACTLY what I'm seeing, and I can't get it to go away. It's like the phosphors can't decide what color to display...
post #378 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I went and set my dashboard completely black. I did notice some green sparkles once I got within a foot, so at least you know that part is normal; but it didn't appear as many as in your pic; do the pixels tone down as you move the brightness? The pixels are there to make the black appear lighter. Also, is this is noticeable from your seating area? Turn your tv to a 4:3 channel (with black bars) or widescreen movie and check out the black bars. In theory, these bars should not have any dancing pixels at all. When my brightness is too high, I use the black bars as a gauge to tell me where my brightness should be at (or at least a starting point). If these bars are black without any dancing pixels, and it doesn't look like you are crushing blacks, then your set is likely normal.

Also, look at 1fishbulb's post. Viper did state earlier that he had red pixels until he toned down his red on the advanced picture menu.

Quote:

post #379 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:

I went and set my dashboard completely black. I did notice some green sparkles once I got within a foot, so at least you know that part is normal; but it didn't appear as many as in your pic; do the pixels tone down as you move the brightness? The pixels are there to make the black appear lighter. Also, is this is noticeable from your seating area? Turn your tv to a 4:3 channel (with black bars) or widescreen movie and check out the black bars. In theory, these bars should not have any dancing pixels at all. When my brightness is too high, I use the black bars as a gauge to tell me where my brightness should be at (or at least a starting point). If these bars are black without any dancing pixels, and it doesn't look like you are crushing blacks, then your set is likely normal.

Also, look at 1fishbulb's post. Viper did state earlier that he had red pixels until he toned down his red on the advanced picture menu.

Well, I don't see any dancing pixels of any color when I watch HD broadcasts that display in 4:3. I got the red pixels to go away simply by dropping brightness below 42.

But -- I still see those artifacts from within six feet on my Xbox 360 Dashboard.
post #380 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The artifacts you are talking about are the dancing pixels correct? And what is your xbox theme? Can you see the pixels over regular colors as well? I also assume you have your xbox set to output 1080p? I'm going to try and mimic your problem, just need some info in order to do so.

Quote:

But -- I still see those artifacts from within six feet on my Xbox 360 Dashboard.

post #381 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:

The artifacts you are talking about are the dancing pixels correct? And what is your xbox theme? Can you see the pixels over regular colors as well? I also assume you have your xbox set to output 1080p? I'm going to try and mimic your problem, just need some info in order to do so.

Well, I guess it's the dancing pixels. I don't see specific colors -- I just see *movement* of pixels on the colored background. I don't see colors changing over regular colors, but the pixels displaying regular colors appear like they're grainy and wobbling.

I think I'm using the "glass" theme at the moment. I have my system set to 1024x768 over VGA. I don't think this is relevant though, because the graininess is visible when watching TV over component 720p. In fact, it's visible on all inputs and all settings (this is different from the dancing red pixels, which I fixed). The first shot posted (shot of the dashboard from a distance) are exactly what I'm seeing. It's not perfectly uniform like an LCD.
post #382 of 3158 Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Won't be able to do this until tomorrow. I've been told that I can no longer interrupt Sex and the City

Quote:

Well, I guess it's the dancing pixels. I don't see specific colors -- I just see *movement* of pixels on the colored background. I don't see colors changing over regular colors, but the pixels displaying regular colors appear like they're grainy and wobbling.

I think I'm using the "glass" theme at the moment. I have my system set to 1024x768 over VGA. I don't think this is relevant though, because the graininess is visible when watching TV over component 720p. In fact, it's visible on all inputs and all settings (this is different from the dancing red pixels, which I fixed). The first shot posted (shot of the dashboard from a distance) are exactly what I'm seeing. It's not perfectly uniform like an LCD.

post #383 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 AM

Liked: 14
Just got my 50A450 Today. New stand to boot. Let me give you my initial impressions.

Reflection is a lot worse than I thought. I understand that the px80 is better at this, but I expected it to be better than my CRT. It is not. It is only distracting on a dark scene and only if I am at an angle to see a window or light, but still disappointed in the amount.

I don't know much about setting colors and stuff so I used the cnet settings right off. First thing was I was horribly disappointed in how dull and lifeless everything looked. I was surprised. Then I ran channel scan. It took over 20 minutes. The thing that made me laugh is the book says not to display static images for long periods of time. Yet here goes channel scan. The crazy thing is channel scan came up with over 100 channels. Never had that many before.

I have cable and it is going through a box. Apparently there are all these digital channels out there. Well.. I hit one and BAM the colors brightened, blacks deepend and I was shocked. The digital channels looked fantastic. I was impressed. Further I found several of my local channels also in digital and HD! wow the picture on those is really great. What wierds me though is I now have like 4 of each of my local channels.. each showing something different.

Now since I had the channel scanner running for 20 minutes I suspected IR. I looked for it.. and looked for it.. and yup found it. But I had to be about a foot or less away. Even then I had to strain to see it. So.. if that is all IR is going to be then who cares. I can't see it over anything at all. I played with the menu for a long time and had some IR From that too.. at least I think that is what it was.. ran the scrolling feature and got real close and could barely make it out.

Sound is great... way better than my CRT so I am probably not a great judge. I do have a couple of infinity speakers hooked up I can use, but I won't need to except for movies cause I thought the sound was excellent.

I like the remote. I have no problems with it at all.
Also I can't notice any screen door effect or anything people talk about unless I get fairly close to the screen. Even then it doesn't bother me.

Of course all this is just my intro for a few hours of playing with it. I can't return the set (because it is no defective and frys has a no return on non defective tv policies), but if I could the only reason I would is because of reflections. I am not sure that a px80 would do the job so much better I would be happier anyway. Maybe it would.

Overall I like it. It is going to take some serious getting used to from my 27" CRT. Plus I need to get an HD box from comcast so I can use HDMI and get some channels in HD. That will be even better.

Anyway.. I will give more impressions later.

Oh one more thing. I don't really like stretching everything nor do I like the grey bars. So I wish there were an alternative. I understand some models allow the center not to be stretched and the sides stretched.. not sure if that would be better, but I suspect so.

Here is my new Setup:

post #384 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 AM

I hope you had fun unboxing it and setting it up. Enjoy!

I had some of the same first impressions. Great tuner, no IR, I agree about the gray sidebars but you kinda get used to it and it's a small price for better IR protections I suppose.

About the 'stretching' of SD/4:3. I don't know about everyone else but I HATE stuff displayed in the wrong aspect ratio. That said, I don't see it in any documentation about the stretch ('wide fit' if I remember correctly) feature but it seems to be something of a 'smart' stretch like you mentioned and it doesn't seem that bad to me. I actually don't mind stretching a lot of my 4:3 content.

I actually like the TV more every day. I went from a 27" CRT as well and I normally set the settings and left it but unfortunately now, I find myself constantly tweaking as there is so much variability in content quality. Certain settings look great (Cinema, let's say) for one movie but then I switch it to an old movie and it's terrible. Same for digital TV, HD vs. SD, etc. It's not the TVs fault. Bad source material is just so much more magnified and I spend 5 minutes tweaking something before I can watch it and enjoy it.
post #385 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 06:41 AM

Ordered the PN42A450 last night via Amazon with the free HDTivo unit.

Should get it next week. It's replacing a 53" Panasonic RPHDTV.
post #386 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 AM

Grainy Display,

All, I think the grain is just in the quality of the panel. This is the low end Samsung Plasma. I had a 42A450 and took it back because of the graininess and vibration sound from the speakers. Graininess is noticed when you watch the news or sports where the display has letters, batting av etc. Scrolling tickers are also not smooth. If you sit back far enough you don't see it. I check several stores and all the 450 displays seemed to have the same affect. I compared to the PN50A650 and LN46A650 and both are very smooth. So you can either live with close up grain or not. I could not even though the picture quality was very good for the price. If you take away the graininess of letters, the color is better than the LN46A650.
post #387 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 AM

Looks like it isn't just Samsung that gets the sparkles. I just found this thread. ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=726040
post #388 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, it might be the way it's "meant" to be seen, but to me it looks bad. It looks way too yellow/green, which is surprising for a color tone that's supposed to make whites "reddish".

Perhaps the tint needs to be adjusted towards red when using Warm2?

If you don't like Warm 2, use something else but I wouldn't mess with the tint. 65k can be really hard to get used to.
post #389 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

If you don't like Warm 2, use something else but I wouldn't mess with the tint. 65k can be really hard to get used to.

Every warm tone I have tried makes whites look dirty, so I usually stick with normal.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #390 of 3158 Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 AM

I picked up a PN42A450 which is nearly the exact same as the 50" except for the size thing of course.

The problem I'm having is I cannot run anything through my PS3 and running 720p. Its sticks at 480p and just stretches the **** out of everything. When I try to force it to run 720p I get flickering and what not.

Anyone having similar issues?

*posted about this on another thread, but can't figure out how to delete that post*
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page