Samsung PN50A450 Offical Owners Thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is the resolution of this tv 1366x768 or 1024x768?

Samsung has it listed as 1024x768 in their spec sheet but futureshop(and other retailers) said it was 1366x768
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post

IR is image retention
basically it's retaining a portion of the image that was on the screen i.e. the outline of a scoreboard.
This actually happens on both my DLP tvs too :]

i'm super happy though my 450 is in get to pick it up after work

I'll be sure to have impressions + pics tonight

Is this a normal thing for this TV???I think the image retention is supposed to go away? man i hope this isnt a proplem, ive had the 550 for about 6 or 7 weeks and im well over my 30 return thing and i dont feel like having my tv taken apart by some warranty guy !!!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM

just bought this TV today AMAZING I have my 360 hooked up via VGA anyone have optimal settings for 360? thx
Old 05-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxguy023 View Post

How close do you have to be to the TV to till you start hearing it. I could hear the buzz faintly from like nine feet away and it drove me crazy.

I will check tonight when I get home.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
there is no Buzzing......
My older 42 inch Akai/Samsung had a Buzz.....

Buzz = screws need to be tightened on the back of TV (thats all), the ground clip bounces/vibrates off the chassis......this is what ive found in my trials/ installs of "plasma's".

So, yah...no Buzz on new Sammy models......and if so ...Tighten the screws on the back of chassis....you can probaly pinch the chassis with your fingers to locate the issue/area.
As Ive said, these are my trials in the past 5 years or so....
Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Liked: 14
Is there anyone who is certain about the panel. Is this the same as the 550 minus the resolution or is it major different?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:45 PM

i got this panel today its incredible 1080p isnt worth the money the difference u wouldnt even be able to tell from 720 and nothing is even really broadcasted in 1080 anyways and by the time and if it even will be ull prob be needed a new set anyways
Old 05-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Im so excited. I have waited a LONNNGGGG time to upgrade. (from a 27 inch crt no less)

As soon as I get it I am going to put the suggested cnet settings in that they published for the 550.

Any advice on break in? Or can I just go ahead and start watching as many shows and movies as my wife will let me?

I don't have a game system so I don't have to worry about ir from that kind of thing...

I went thru amazon so hopefully it arrives a healthy, intact unit.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM

ive been playing 360 exclusively on this unit seen nothing and even my SD satellite looks BETTER on this tv then my old crt tube
Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 PM

welp... it was only a day late coming in but....

I'll be sure to take some proper pics + post my thoughts tonight this is my first plasma tv I'm so excited!

and if you're wondering what's up with my room I'm moving in about a week or so so it's a mess..... and that stand is going to be left behind I think.... this thing will be proudly mounted on this zline stand
Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM

wow... this tv is absolutely amazing.... Ya, the blacks could be better but the colors are absolutely phenomenal it more than makes up for the not up to kuro level blacks. I can't hear any buzzing for the guy that questioned it earlier(aside from the friggan buzzing of my 360 that's 20' away ) the uniformity is also superb. it seems to be perfectly uniform all across the tv(this was always something that bugged me with plasmas)

here's a couple pics from my PS3(thsu far the only thing I've tested on it.... the movies are trailers from PSN, not blu-ray)

I'm just using the default movie setting with contrast and cell light turned down a bit

the pictures really don't do it justice either. it's an old camera. you gotta see it in person(camera kinda messed with the white balance a little)
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM

WOW, looks great, cant wait to get mine!!!!! is there any problems while connecting to your ps3 via hdmi? handshaking? etc?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpsi View Post

WOW, looks great, cant wait to get mine!!!!! is there any problems while connecting to your ps3 via hdmi? handshaking? etc?

not yet

these are from blu-ray on PS3

I'm so glad I bought this.. for $1400 I don't thikn there's anything else that competes... and it puts my 56" 1080p DLP to shame
Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 PM

I really want to get this Samsung tv but Samsung's track record leaves much to be desired. It's a shame because the Samsung has a slightly better picture than the Panasonic, but right now I'm thinking I'll go with reliability unless someone here can convince me otherwise. I know all tv's have the potential to have problems but the percentage of people reporting problems with their Samsungs is higher than with the Panasonic.

Also, its difficult to compare the new models as far as reliability goes but looking at the old models, the Panasonic blows it out of the water in terms of reliability.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:05 AM

Wow... Amazing! Now I have to wait another 3 days for mine to be delivered. I bought it through Amazon.

Monday is when the delivery driver will arrive! I can't wait.

Viper if you figure out what settings might be best for this Plasma please feel free to post and help us new guys out with our first major HDTV viewing experience.

ThankS!
Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 AM

Now, Where can we get some 3D glasses for the PC?
I wonder what the best option is for the new Samsungs.
The Asian ladies in the 2008 AD had some cool looking ones...but i can only find the older style DLP versions (kinda galky)

would be cool to test these features on PC.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanukie View Post

Wow... Amazing! Now I have to wait another 3 days for mine to be delivered. I bought it through Amazon.

Monday is when the delivery driver will arrive! I can't wait.

Viper if you figure out what settings might be best for this Plasma please feel free to post and help us new guys out with our first major HDTV viewing experience.

ThankS!

here's cnet's settings for a dark room

--Picture menu

Mode: Movie

Cell light: 8

Contrast: 91

Brightness: 55

Sharpness: 0

Color: 48

Tint: G49/R51

Detailed settings submenu

Black adjust: Off

Dynamic contrast: Off

Gamma: -2

Color space: Auto

Flesh tone: 0

Edge enhancement: Off

xvYCC: Off

White balance submenu

R-Offset: 25

G-Offset: 25

B-Offset: 25

R-Gain: 29

G-Gain: 25

B-Gain: 23

Picture options submenu

Color tone: Warm2

Size: Just Scan

Digital NR: Auto

DNIe: [grayed out]

HDMI black level: [grayed out]

Film mode: [grayed out]

Blue only mode: Off

--Setup menu

Entertainment: Off

Energy saving: Off
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 AM

viper i have the 450 and alot of the cnet settings u posted Are greyed out for me such as sharpness , just scan ,black adjust , flesh tone, color space, and a lot of them in the picture options sub menu, I am hooked up via xbox 360 VGA i dunno if that might be the problem?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 AM

also i have no "Tint" option or "color"
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtn View Post

viper i have the 450 and alot of the cnet settings u posted Are greyed out for me such as sharpness , just scan ,black adjust , flesh tone, color space, and a lot of them in the picture options sub menu, I am hooked up via xbox 360 VGA i dunno if that might be the problem?

vga will probably have some locked settings, that's pretty common on most tvs
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM

I have recently had my 450 professionally calibrated by an ISF technician. The results have been well worth the $200 to have it done. All along I was blown away by the colours of the picture, but felt the blacks, while good, could have been better.

This process has improved the blacks significantly. I am sure there are "inkier" blacks available on more expensive models, but I can't be more pleased with the performance of the TV for the price. There is no buzzing, no burn in (knock on wood), and I have had a few LCD owners over questioning why their TV does not look this good.

Not sure everyone has access to this type of service (I am in Southern Ontario), but if you are considering it, I found it well worth it.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtn View Post

also i have no "Tint" option or "color"

If source is outputting 1365x768 , then those options will be Greyed out.

If Source is outputting any other resolution 1280x720 or 1080 etc , the scaler kicks in and all options are available.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM

OK, Im PISSED. I ordered my TV via Amazon on the 1st. Starting this past monday, I was calling CEVA (the delivery company) to find out where it was. I was told on tuesday evening that it had arrived in Dallas (I live in a suburb of Dallas) Wednesday I got the offical call to shedule the delivery for friday. Whoohoo. So I take of work for friday. As in TODAY. Yesterday, they called to confirm the delivery time. Yet this moring and call me and tell me THEY CAN'T FIND MY TV!!! By noon today, they figured out that the tv had been shipped on to Lubbock, about 7 hours away. They have no explination as to why this happened, it just did, and now the soonest they can get it back to Dallas and delivered to me is Tuesday! So lets recap: CEVA told me on Wednesday my TV was ready for delivery, CEVA called me to make sure I would be available for the delivery on thursday, CEVA calls me on friday to tell me my TV is in another freaking city!! So heres my question. What should Amazon/CEVA do to make this right; not only have a burned a vacation day, but I also will not recieve the mothers day present surprise for my wife before mothers day! (Yeah, its a mothers day gift, thats my story and im sticking to it!) I realize that I am still going to get the tv next tuesday, but im dissapointed and ticked. What should be the proper remedy? 100 gift card? Thoughts and or opinions are welcome.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonViking View Post

I have recently had my 450 professionally calibrated by an ISF technician. The results have been well worth the $200 to have it done. All along I was blown away by the colours of the picture, but felt the blacks, while good, could have been better.

This process has improved the blacks significantly. I am sure there are "inkier" blacks available on more expensive models, but I can't be more pleased with the performance of the TV for the price. There is no buzzing, no burn in (knock on wood), and I have had a few LCD owners over questioning why their TV does not look this good.

Not sure everyone has access to this type of service (I am in Southern Ontario), but if you are considering it, I found it well worth it.

what do they do when calibrating the tv?? can you post all the settings that the tech put on your tv? that would be great!!!

i also have a question to whoever knows the answer. what should my settings be at while breaking in the tv of the 100 or so hours????
Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:

what do they do when calibrating the tv?? can you post all the settings that the tech put on your tv? that would be great!!!

i also have a question to whoever knows the answer. what should my settings be at while breaking in the tv of the 100 or so hours????

generally they just say to have your brightness and contrast turned down... I'm running my contrast at 55 and brightness at 45(default was 95 and 50 for movie mode)
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post

generally they just say to have your brightness and contrast turned down... I'm running my contrast at 55 and brightness at 45(default was 95 and 50 for movie mode)

what about regular SD tv, and HD tv? same settings?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:

what about regular SD tv, and HD tv? same settings?

dunno.... don't have tv hooked up to it

I'd assume I'd use the same settings but make sure gray bars are on
Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM

I am not certain of what exactly happens, but the individual working on the TV basically set up a tripod with a camera that faced the TV. He had a laptop plugged directly into the TV and the camera. Apparently they do their adjustments on the laptop and these are reflected on the TV somehow (sorry...I am not that technically inclined).

I was told the process would take around three hours but it took about an hour and a half. He showed me a number of graphs that reflected a perfect picture and where the Samsung was before and after calibration. It was honestly way over my head, but you could certainly see the improvement.

The following are the settings I am using for all sources:

Mode - Movie
Warm 2
Cell Light - 4
Contrast - 79
Brightness- 38
Sharpness - 10
Colour - 50
Tint - G54 R46
Black Adjust - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - +1
Color Space - Auto
White Balance- did not touch
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement- Off

These may not be of assistance, but pre calibration, they were similiar.

Hope that helps???
Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM

oh
and make sure you leave dynamic contrast and black adjust off... Since this is your first hdtv you might be intrigued by the brighter whites and blacker blacks.... but it comes at a grave cost.

here's an example of the difference(both taken at 1/10 second iso 100)

black adjust & dynamic contrast on

off

of course there are some people that don't mind losing a lot of detail for this. and to those people more power to you. I'm not here to tell your how you should or shouldn't view your tv....
Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayking View Post

If source is outputting 1365x768 , then those options will be Greyed out.

If Source is outputting any other resolution 1280x720 or 1080 etc , the scaler kicks in and all options are available.

so shouldnt i run my xbox 360 at the sets native resolution or should i go with the TRUE 720p of 1280x720 to get these options would it make my picture betteR?