Samsung PN50A450 Offical Owners Thread. - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 3158 Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed my Samsung PN50A450 last night along with an HD receiver and Panasonic DVD Home Theater System (a modest 1250 watt system) and I was more than amazed. It blew me away!!! All I was missing was the popcorn and the soda.... LOL! I set my contrast and brightness down to 45% and the picture was still beautiful. I made certain that anything I viewed was full screen and although I had to use the zoom 1 option (at times), it wasn't all that bad, in some instances zoom 2 wasn't that bad too, depending on the DVD's format being used. I'm figuring, ~200 hours of making sure the picture is full screen to set in the plasma is not that bad afterall. If a little tender loving care is all this TV needs to break it in, well it's certainly got my attention and all the care in the world.

Getting used to the menu was a breeze and I am certain that as time goes by I will discover many hidden tricks to improve the visual aspect.

My wife made a statement, he's like a child at Christmas with his new toy. I felt like a little kid making certain I did not miss anything throughout the entire installation process.

In regards to burn in, I used for half an hour the Break in DVD and it definately takes up the entire screen beautifully, the great thing about this DVD is that you can leave it run for 24hrs straight. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone as it speeds up the Break in process. Without any menus. logos (static images of any sort) you just can't go wrong. On a side note, you do not really need the break in dvd so long as the content you are viewing is full screen, I use it only to speed up the break in period of my Plasma.

I hope my little take on my experience has helped anyone in any way. Should I come across any tips, I'll let you all know.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Videotron - Illico HD terminal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3158 Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Hey guys,

I am located in Mexico and they offer this model PL50A410C which I'm trying to research about but I find no relavent info throught the net. The only info I can find on this model is from the samsung website
samsung.com/mx/consumer/detail/gallery.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=plasmatv&model_cd=PL50A410C1DXZX

PN50A450 is the most similar model that I could find and I read all of the reviews at curcuit city, best buy, cnet, newegg...etc. on the PN50A450. What I want to do is, since I can't find the PL50a410c I want to use the PN50A450 as a reference or even a cloned substitute for information. I'm still unsure if all of the specs are the same. The images on the PL50a410c look a bit different than the PN50A450 but the connections in the back look the same. I wonder if it's the "same" model but in a different country. Like sometimes they do with Models from store to store, they can have a slightly different model number but have the same specs which the stores do for exclusive prices that way you can't use the "We'll match anyone's price plus a 10% off" gig. I am hoping this is the case with these 2 models.

At the store "Soriana" the PL50A410C looks great for about $1,3000. It beats all of the other lcd or plasmas displayed. The largest display is this PL50A410C at 50" all of the other options are 42" and bellow. There is a 42" "Emerson" brand LCD screen for almost less than $1,000 bux but I'm not sure about the brand. The quality on the emerson looks good compared to a samsung 42" lcd next to it selling for about 2,700 bux. The only reason I'm holding back on the PLASMA is because I'm concerned about the TIR and BURN. That's the only reason I will go with LCD.

So I have a few concerns.

1. TIR and Burn-in. I want to be able to play PS1, PS2 & PS3. The only reason I'm buying a PS3 is because of this 50" Display. Playing War games that display weapons on the corners of the screen or anything for that matter. So far after reading hours and hours of posts and reviews I cant seem to determin what the actual viewing time for static images can be? How long should one play a game or watch a tv show before shutting the TV down or changing the channel?. As for TV viewing, the channels go to commercials every 10-30 minutes depending on the channel. So if commercials are played, would that cause a permanent Burn or just TIR? Some people say 5-15 minutes cause TIR and claim "BURN" others say 30 minutes. Others say 2 hours and others say 4 hours. Some even say "all day" without any problems.

I want to be able to play action/war games, watch dvd movies, normal TV viewing and connect my laptop to work with photoshop and dreamweaver and play SWAT3 & Ghost Recon.

My bottom line question is:
How long is the best time to view content that holds static images. Or how long is exactly "LONG PERIODS OF TIME" that you see in the FAQs? If I cycle through the channels every 10 minutes, will it help prevent these problems?

I'm inclined to buying the Samsung 50" PL50A410C Plasma, but this is the great issue. And does anyone know anything about "EMERSON" brand LCD's?

Thanks for all of your support on this. I really want to make a good decision. It's an expensive buy for my budget and my current economic state and I can't get something that will have these kind of problems. This will be my 1st large tv purchase; all of my other tv's in the past have been bellow 25" tube tv's. I currently own a 19" tube sharp tv.
post #1503 of 3158 Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 PM

I'd like to manually add channels without rescanning on my Samsung PN420450.

is there a way to add a DTV channel without rescanning?

Thanks,

Intravino
post #1504 of 3158 Old 09-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Liked: 14
Just picked this set up for $597 + T at Best Buy (great deal, no longer available so I won't go into it).

Pretty darn happy with it. I had a 47" Panny before and somehow I feel like the picture, while much more dynamic and _better_ isn't quite as ... crisp? Don't know how to describe it. Hopefully playing around w/the settings will get me the jaw dropping reaction I've read about here. I'm thinking my contrast might be a little too high?

Anyhow, certainly can't beat it for the price.
post #1505 of 3158 Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the response Dolfan.

I play my PS2 games on my Playstation 2. I honestly don't know how to switch to 480, I think the comcast guy showed me for the cable box but I don't think that effects the tv in videogames.

I think I'm going to pickup the new 360 and a sound system now that I'm officially employed! Take that rough job market!
post #1506 of 3158 Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM

Just got this set as well and spend the last 3 days reading this entire 51-page thread. Thanks to all for the valuable advice. My set will be delivered next week.

Two questions:

1. Can you use any of the universal wall-mounts for this set? Specifically, the ones available from Costco.

2. What type of HDMI cable should use when hooking up the PN50A45 to one of the new DirecTV HD DVR (MPEG 4) receiver? I new to HDMI and there are a ton of options on HDMI cables from sites like MonoPrice.

thanks.
post #1507 of 3158 Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 PM

Liked: 14
I used a cheap-o hdmi cable and it's working just fine.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I welcome any insight into this statement) most hdmi cables will yield the same results unless you're talking about long runs.
post #1508 of 3158 Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanlaw View Post

I used a cheap-o hdmi cable and it's working just fine.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I welcome any insight into this statement) most hdmi cables will yield the same results unless you're talking about long runs.

Yeah, any old gauge will do unless you're running it 25' or longer.
post #1509 of 3158 Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan349 View Post

Yeah, any old gauge will do unless you're running it 25' or longer.

Nope. Mine are all short runs. What is 1.3a? CL2?

Is there any difference between Premium and Professional cables?
post #1510 of 3158 Old 09-27-2008, 03:48 PM

Hello,

I recently had my a tech replace the panel do to a dead pixel. Problem is I can now hear the tv buzz. The buzz gets louder only when i use the white screen. I can hear this buzz about 6-7 feet away with the volumn low or off.

I'm about to call the tech back out to hear this. I can't tell if i'm keying in on the sound, or something is wrong.

Do any of you have buzz, or hum?

Thanks
post #1511 of 3158 Old 09-27-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnylax View Post

2. What type of HDMI cable should use when hooking up the PN50A45 to one of the new DirecTV HD DVR (MPEG 4) receiver? I new to HDMI and there are a ton of options on HDMI cables from sites like MonoPrice.

thanks.

Sonny,

I bought a Blu-ray from Amazon and was considering purchasing a HDMI cable from monoprice. However, I found a seller called Eforcity on Amazon that sells the cables super cheap. Moderate gauge, gold plated ends, etc. He also has an account on E-bay. You should look into this guy before you buy.
post #1512 of 3158 Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 PM

Hi all- So sorry to do this. I was thrust into he world of HDTV when I received a 32" Sony as a gift. Feeling it was too small I returned it and have been doing HDTV 101 ever sense(my head hurts). I have learned that 720p vs 1080p is basically non-issue depending on screen size and distance your able to view it from. So 720p is fine for me. It seems to come down to how well a particular set renders the picture based on the goodies inside the machine. The more you can afford the better those goodies are. I can't afford a ton but in today's world you seem to get quiet a bit for the money and always getting better, relatively speaking. With that, I have narrowed it down to the Panny TH-50 PX80U and the Sammy PN50A450, cost being the determining factor, as well as, quality associated with these brands. I haven't read all of this thread and learned more about the Panny and have been told, in general, that Pannt does plasma better because of its blacks. I have found out(in this thread) that the TH has better blacks but the PN has better color rendition. Manu. spec. states pretty big differences in contrast ratos: TH=15k and PN=30K. Does that mean PN is brighter? I thought I picked up somewhere that contrast ratio realtes to the TV's ability to actually produce better blacks overall and therefore color saturation won't get as washed? How is the processor is this set? Pannys if known? TH has 480Hz refresh rate, PN=? Screen glare? TH has new AR Filter, PN=? Connectivity: PN=pc input, TH=none, how critical is that. COD4 would be awesome @ 50" but don't really see me doing that realistically. Iknow that's a lot but a grand is still a lot of money for a TV and want to avoid buyers remorse if possible by being as informed as I can be. TIA to those who help. Bill-
post #1513 of 3158 Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 PM

When I connect a VHF/UHF antenna (Radio Shack 15-1866) to this panel and run the autoprogram for the channels, I pick up about 60 analog channels and 0 digital channels. The 60 analog channels all display one channel i.e. channel 4 will be showing the same thing as channel 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. I've rotated the antenna around and all that. I live in the middle of D.C., so all the broadcast towers I want are within a few miles of me, via antennaweb.org. Is there something wrong with the panel's tuner? Is anyone else having this problem?
post #1514 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partone View Post

Is there something wrong with the panel's tuner?

Possibly. Most people use a cable or sat signal with this display, in conjunction w/ HD or BR...or a good upscaling player in order to take advantage of the high rs. Of the 60 or so chalnnels you receive, how many are high def? Did you buy this display only for ota? If so, you will not realize it's full potential.
post #1515 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks Johndn. I have an upconverting dvd player, and it works great. I receive 0 channels in hd, the 60 or so channels I receive are all telemundo, so the same show will be playing on all channels. I was under the assumption that being so close to the broadcast towers, I would receive at least some different basic channels such as nbc or abc, even if it isn't hd. Should I call for a technician?
post #1516 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 AM

Did you set it up for cable or ant?
post #1517 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 08:07 AM

ant, autoprogrammed through air
post #1518 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks Johndn. I have an upconverting dvd player, and it works great. I receive 0 channels in hd, the 60 or so channels I receive are all telemundo, so the same show will be playing on all channels. I was under the assumption that being so close to the broadcast towers, I would receive at least some different basic channels such as nbc or abc, even if it isn't hd. Should I call for a technician?

You may want to refer to my message, posted back about two pages or so, RE antennas and receiving full-quality HD instead of the heavily-compressed cable/SAT.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14668099
It sounds as though your antenna is not up to the task of digital. You mentioned that you 'rotated around'. The antenna direction will be +/- 1 degree for a given tower (0-360 degrees), if multiple towers you need an omni-directional antenna.
I think you'll learn all you need from the website, and he responds to questions quickly.
(note: the conversation mentioned there was with someone in the DC area, apparently your PBS station is lower quality in DC, due to their using all 4 DTV sub-channels? mebbe he can jump in as well, if he has a good antenna)
good luck

"look, I can't think of another way to say this... when she said 'ohh, that is So Mac'...
welll... I'm pretty sure she didn't mean that as a compliment, ok?"

carpe` cervesi
knf
post #1519 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 AM

got it. thanks a lot
post #1520 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Can one check the "hours in operation" on the PNA450 sets like on the Panasonic PX80U? If so, how? I imagine the service munu must be accessed and that probably isn't advisable, but someone just wants to know.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked/answered already. If so, can you just provide the reference?

TIA, again.
post #1521 of 3158 Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:

got it. thanks a lot

That still doesn't sound right to me. Either it's a setting or there is something wrong with your set IMO.

I do not yet have HD programming via cable/satellite and use only OTA. I have used 3 non "HD" antennas for over the air digital/HD (and analog) programming and they all work fine. The tuner is great. I pick up a ton more digital channels than analog. I am sure that where you are (if your settings are right) that you should be picking up multiple digital/HD channels over the air.

Oh yeah, my PBS HD is pretty poor as well in Dayton, Ohio. The bitrate is much lower than other channels.
post #1522 of 3158 Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM

PN50A450 is one of few on my HDTV shopping list, then here comes the review of this TV from DigitalTrends.com with a rating of 6.5 out of 10. Here is the summary:
"Highs: Very affordable; large size; good built-in speakers
Lows: 720P resolution only; grainy video quality; milky black levels"

Is video quality of PN50A450 really that poor?
post #1523 of 3158 Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Yes, the picture IS grainy because of the constant full-screen dithering that this set uses. The red/green/blue pixels constantly changing gives a grainy look from 8-10ft away. It's not distracting by any means once you get used to it, but it's not as smooth as an LCD, either. Other, more expensive plasmas might have a smoother picture, or perhaps the Panasonic PX80U may be better in this regard (I looked at the PX80U in stores, and while it doesn't dither all over the screen, it's still somewhat grainy).

I can't really comment on the blacks, other than they look way better than any LCD I've seen. This is the first plasma I've owned, and it the blacks are vastly superior to my old LCD TV and all three of my PC monitors. They're better than the blacks on my friend's Samsung 550 LCD, too.
post #1524 of 3158 Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM

I was in Future Shop (Canadian Circuit City for those South Of) looking at the Sammy PN42A450 and I saw for the first time, what appeared to me, to be some of the infamous Posterization. This set's picture overall looked good, it was just that, in certain chapters, that there were irregullar blocky sections. Snow field, clouds over a mountain, and A full screen of a single color with titles were the ones that I recall. This is the first time in a number of viewings at different stores that I had ever detected this.
Almost all of the TV's in the store were running from an HD (1080i?) loop over component cables.

Initially, I just sloughed this off as an ahah moment and went on, chocking this up to being the 450's issue. But then I noticed that the PN50A450 in the next aisle wasn't showing any of these artifacts with the same feed. Now I chocked this up to being a durability or quality control issue. Then I went back and found something stranger, of the six units on that row, two together were showing the identical "posterization", the 42A450 and an LG LCD (an LG60 I believe).
Three other LCD's and an LG PG20 plasma were not affected, neither were the Panny plasmas (PX80, PZ80, PZ85) across the aisle.

Can anyone think of an explanation for how two completely disimilar TV's in the middle of a row, on the same feed, can show the exact same artifacts while those around them don't? Help me retain my sanity, please.
post #1525 of 3158 Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:

got it. thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fishbulb View Post

That still doesn't sound right to me. Either it's a setting or there is something wrong with your set IMO.

I do not yet have HD programming via cable/satellite and use only OTA. I have used 3 non "HD" antennas for over the air digital/HD (and analog) programming and they all work fine. The tuner is great. I pick up a ton more digital channels than analog. I am sure that where you are (if your settings are right) that you should be picking up multiple digital/HD channels over the air.

Oh yeah, my PBS HD is pretty poor as well in Dayton, Ohio. The bitrate is much lower than other channels.

Ditto I think something might be wrong with partone's set. For my "antenna" I used a short coaxial cable connected to a hanger and was able to pick up the local digital channels (ABC, NBC, FOX etc.) OTA.
post #1526 of 3158 Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 PM

thanks fishbulb and m1k3, having a technician come out and check it out. hopefully everything works out and no one else has this problem.
post #1527 of 3158 Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Just an fyi...

If any of you are experiencing Posterization on the PN50A450, I just spoke with a Samsung Technical Services rep who stated that a firware upgrade will be implemented and it is confirmed that the firmware will correct the posterization problem a few users have experienced. There is no ETA on when this upgrade will roll out.

Cheers!

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
post #1528 of 3158 Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

Just an fyi...

If any of you are experiencing Posterization on the PN50A450, I just spoke with a Samsung Technical Services rep who stated that a firware upgrade will be implemented and it is confirmed that the firmware will correct the posterization problem a few users have experienced. There is no ETA on when this upgrade will roll out.

Cheers!

Good to know they're acknowledging it, at least. Do you think the firmware will be available for the PN42A450 as well? The 42" set posterizes just like the 50" set...
post #1529 of 3158 Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

Just an fyi...

Cheers!

That is awesome news!
post #1530 of 3158 Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan349 View Post

Good to know they're acknowledging it, at least. Do you think the firmware will be available for the PN42A450 as well? The 42" set posterizes just like the 50" set...

unfortunately, we only discussed the PN50 model... keep in mind it is in the same 450 family, it should apply.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page