Samsung PN50A450 Offical Owners Thread. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3158 Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone know how to? mine is off by about an inch to the left in 16:9 display.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3158 Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 AM

um i think that only happened to me when i had it in jsut scan mode but it could be the source as well?
post #183 of 3158 Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 AM

Odis, I have the same problem with the justscan mode.
post #184 of 3158 Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 AM

ya justscan mode is giving u obviously the sources true res, remember this set has a odd resolution so when it gives u the true res im guessing thats what that side bar is
post #185 of 3158 Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpsi View Post

it doesnt matter. a surge protector is a surge protector, doesnt matter if the tv is 32inch or 58 inch. dont let them tell you otherwise. obviously they would rather you buy the more exspensive one. im guessing they tried to get you to buy the monster surge protector, right?

I thought so, thanks for the tip. And yes, they were trying to steer me toward the monster.

Anyone here have Comcast? If so, do you know the trick to get into the setup screen on the cable box from the remote? I did it two years or so ago when I bought my first HDTV, but I forget how. I know you hold down "setup" until the "Cable" button blinks twice, but forget what to do after.

The native res of the box is set to 1080i for my old tv, and I'd like to switch it to 720p for this guy. I figure fast moving scenes (i.e. hockey) may look a little smoother.

Thanks!
post #186 of 3158 Old 05-15-2008, 10:30 AM

You turn the cable box off, and you press the menu button to get to the cable box setup screen.

Xbox Live Gamertag - DarthVader1981
PSN - DarthVader1981
Wii Friend Code - can't remember the number
post #187 of 3158 Old 05-15-2008, 10:59 PM

Ok guys, got mine in a little over a week ago, and I said a few weeks ago I'd report, so here it is:

Well first off, I had to splurge on the surround sound and a good Oppo DVD player as well. DVD movies look FANTASTIC on this set. And then, of course, I had to upgrade to HD channels on my DISH, which looks great (not as good as DVD tho, i assume due to the source). But I've really been enjoying it the past week.

One problem so far though -- last night we had some bad weather here, and i lost my feed for a few minutes. So I let the DISH screen stay up for maybe 3 minutes MAX, and when I turned the TV off, I noticed a glow in the area where the DISH logo and satellite connection screen were. So I turned it back on and went to the White feature under the Picture and Burn-In Prevention settings, and could REALLY notice the image retention that was there. So, I let the Scrolling function run for like an hour and that fixed it. No more image retention. Good.

So tonight, I'm paranoid. I watched Fam Guy on Cartoon Network for a little bit. The CN logo was down in the lower right of the screen for a few minutes (again 3-5 minutes max). So just to see, I went to the White screen again, and yep, could see the logo quite clearly. So I'm currently running the Scrolling function...again.

This is my first plasma, and I really am loving it. But I'm obviously a little paranoid. And I'm not trying to start anything here by bringing this up, but am I being overzealous with this retention thing? Would those kind of retained images work themselves out with normal viewing, or is it necessary to clear them out? Seem like it happens VERY easily and VERY quickly.

Other than that, I'd say this was a great deal. The color and picture on this TV are fantastic. I hope to continue enjoying this tv after i get over this paranoia of image retention. O and I realize that there is a forum dedicated to Burn In/IR topics, but I figured since it was related to this TV directly then it still applies here. Thanks guys.
post #188 of 3158 Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciremg01 View Post

Ok guys, got mine in a little over a week ago, and I said a few weeks ago I'd report, so here it is:

Well first off, I had to splurge on the surround sound and a good Oppo DVD player as well. DVD movies look FANTASTIC on this set. And then, of course, I had to upgrade to HD channels on my DISH, which looks great (not as good as DVD tho, i assume due to the source). But I've really been enjoying it the past week.

One problem so far though -- last night we had some bad weather here, and i lost my feed for a few minutes. So I let the DISH screen stay up for maybe 3 minutes MAX, and when I turned the TV off, I noticed a glow in the area where the DISH logo and satellite connection screen were. So I turned it back on and went to the White feature under the Picture and Burn-In Prevention settings, and could REALLY notice the image retention that was there. So, I let the Scrolling function run for like an hour and that fixed it. No more image retention. Good.

So tonight, I'm paranoid. I watched Fam Guy on Cartoon Network for a little bit. The CN logo was down in the lower right of the screen for a few minutes (again 3-5 minutes max). So just to see, I went to the White screen again, and yep, could see the logo quite clearly. So I'm currently running the Scrolling function...again.

This is my first plasma, and I really am loving it. But I'm obviously a little paranoid. And I'm not trying to start anything here by bringing this up, but am I being overzealous with this retention thing? Would those kind of retained images work themselves out with normal viewing, or is it necessary to clear them out? Seem like it happens VERY easily and VERY quickly.

Other than that, I'd say this was a great deal. The color and picture on this TV are fantastic. I hope to continue enjoying this tv after i get over this paranoia of image retention. O and I realize that there is a forum dedicated to Burn In/IR topics, but I figured since it was related to this TV directly then it still applies here. Thanks guys.

do you have your settings turned up???? when i have my settings turned up and im on standard mode i can get IR very quickly. mainly with TSN HD because they have a bright white HD logo on the bottom right. but when i have the settings low, i have no problems with this.
also, i have only used the screen wipe feature once. it worked great. but i noticed that just watching full screen content got rid of the IR just as fast.
post #189 of 3158 Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM

i have my contrast at 75. i tried going to 50, but that was getting pretty dark imo. i have the power saving features set to high, so i would assume that lowers the output some too? Most of the other video settings are pretty much default. I set the dynamic contrast to Off. So I would say the settings are fairly low. I'm just not sure about this IR stuff. I've read up on the topic quite a bit here and other places, but I haven't heard of anyone saying that it happens this quickly (i.e. in only a few minutes). Of course, this isn't burn in so it's not destroying my TV, but it's kind of annoying so far.

What should my settings look like? Should I have them lower for the "break-in" period?
post #190 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:

i have my contrast at 75. i tried going to 50, but that was getting pretty dark imo. i have the power saving features set to high, so i would assume that lowers the output some too? Most of the other video settings are pretty much default. I set the dynamic contrast to Off. So I would say the settings are fairly low. I'm just not sure about this IR stuff. I've read up on the topic quite a bit here and other places, but I haven't heard of anyone saying that it happens this quickly (i.e. in only a few minutes). Of course, this isn't burn in so it's not destroying my TV, but it's kind of annoying so far.

What should my settings look like? Should I have them lower for the "break-in" period?

personally i have my tv on the movie mode, contrast at 60 and brightness at 45. i dont have the power saving thing on. and i have the pixel shift on. i have very little IR problems. just finished playing GTA4 on PS3 for 2 hours just to see what the IR is like on the map in the bottom left corner. and i could see it faintly. i've had full screen HD content playing for the last 30mins, and the IR is basically all gone. i can see a slight amount, but its really hard to see.
the tv seems to be getting better with IR as the time goes on. i set it up last saturday, and have about 60 hours on the tv.
post #191 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 12:05 AM

havent had IR once play 360 like crazy GTA and watch a crap load of TSN HD , SPORT MODE FOR THE WIN FOR HD!!!
post #192 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtn View Post

havent had IR once play 360 like crazy GTA and watch a crap load of TSN HD , SPORT MODE FOR THE WIN FOR HD!!!

how are you checking for IR?
post #193 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 07:12 AM

i just got this set 2 weeks ago and so far am very happy with it. just like a lot of others here,i'm fairly paranoid about burn in. a lot of these recomendations use just scan mode and i've noticed in just scan the pixel shift program is greyed out.i haven't seen that mentioned
post #194 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

As you put some hours on it you will see that less and less.

When I first got my 54 just using the menus to set it up left bad IR. After about 50 hours it was not longer an issue.

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #195 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 01:17 PM

hello,

what happens if i feed the set with 1080p? Is it displayed at 1080i?
Is it downscaled (or is there an option) ---> 720p??
Or is it impossible to feed it 1080p?

I really dont care about a real 1080p display , but i wonder if and whether i can use it as source at all.

G.
post #196 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 01:18 PM

So I noticed the thread is turning into a serious IR thread once again. I have had my 450 for about a week now and I have to put in my two cents.

IR is going to happen when you have your settings turned up. It is how the plasma works. I have been playing COD4 for a while with game/sports settings turned on. After 2-3 hours there is obvious IR where the Map on the hud and where the Score stays in the bottom left corner. This is more than likely going to happen during the first couple hundred hours or so. After hours and hours of use the likely hood of you seeing IR will diminish.

So when I am done playing COD4 for the night it switch my TV back to the cable. I put it on a full screen channel. Then I go to the menu and set the sleep timer for 90 minutes. Now I go back to the menu and select the Scrolling option in the Screen Burn Protection menu. According to the Owner's Manual.

Page 30

"To remove after-images on the screen, use either the WHITE or SCROLLING function. Although both functions remove after-images on the screen, SCROLLING is more effective......(etc)"

You will have after images but with all the technology you have working for you on this set those images will not be permanent Burn-In.

So in the morning I come upstairs and inspect my TV. I turn it to the all white screen. Then I look for the imagine retention from several different angles. Only on 1 occasion have I still noticed a faint IR still. This was after 3-4 hours of COD4 on the Preset Game function. So I went on turned back the scrolling option waited about a hour or so and came back to inspect.
BAM it was gone!

Please don't worry about burn in. Don't abuse it and you won't have a problem. IR is going to happen but there are soooo many different options to get rid of it. Eventually the IR will disappear in the first couple of minutes and you can be stress free.
post #197 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Liked: 14
Here is the problem with your information. The competing plasmas also have IR, but I have yet to read about people having to leave a scrolling option on for 90minutes to get rid of it. MOST have said all they have to do is turn to another channel in full mode and bam it is gone in seconds. To me the speed at which this panel is getting IR and the length of time it is taking to get rid of IR is of serious concern.
post #198 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarich View Post

Here is the problem with your information. The competing plasmas also have IR, but I have yet to read about people having to leave a scrolling option on for 90minutes to get rid of it. MOST have said all they have to do is turn to another channel in full mode and bam it is gone in seconds. To me the speed at which this panel is getting IR and the length of time it is taking to get rid of IR is of serious concern.

So you can turn it to a different channel and the IR is gone. Typically speaking if you turn it to an all white screen the IR will still be there. I know for a fact that this happens on the new pannys too. My neighbor decided to go with the new panny before I bought my Samsung.

To Reiterate my reason I was seeing IR, and the reason for me to use the 90 minutes of scrolling:

Time used is less than 200 hours on.
Gaming (COD4) 3-4 hour stints.
Permanent object on the screen for the majority of the 3-4 hours. (Hud/Map)
Using Preset Gaming Mode (95 Contrast, 8 Cell Light)

My point I was making about the 90 Minute scrolling screen. I am only doing that because

A) I did no break in period with a dvd/200hours of no contrast/brightness.
B) To make sure I will not get burn in...

I have a very keen attention to detail. I can point something out many people including my wife would never notice. The information I was putting out there to people was that just because there is some light/very faint IR doesn't mean there will be any type of BURN-In. Especially at the pace I have used mine so far. Just take precautionary steps to ensure you don't get BURNED...pun intended.
post #199 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanukie View Post

So you can turn it to a different channel and the IR is gone. Typically speaking if you turn it to an all white screen the IR will still be there. I know for a fact that this happens on the new pannys too. My neighbor decided to go with the new panny before I bought my Samsung.

To Reiterate my reason I was seeing IR, and the reason for me to use the 90 minutes of scrolling:

Time used is less than 200 hours on.
Gaming (COD4) 3-4 hour stints.
Permanent object on the screen for the majority of the 3-4 hours. (Hud/Map)
Using Preset Gaming Mode (95 Contrast, 8 Cell Light)

My point I was making about the 90 Minute scrolling screen. I am only doing that because

A) I did no break in period with a dvd/200hours of no contrast/brightness.
B) To make sure I will not get burn in...

I have a very keen attention to detail. I can point something out many people including my wife would never notice. The information I was putting out there to people was that just because there is some light/very faint IR doesn't mean there will be any type of BURN-In. Especially at the pace I have used mine so far. Just take precautionary steps to ensure you don't get BURNED...pun intended.

you can just watch full screen shows and get the same result as the scrolling feature. my tv has about 60 hours on it, i played GTA4 lastnight for 2 hours, very little IR, went away with watching full screen HD content. then today i played GTA for 3 hours, and when i was done i could clearly see the map in the corner on an all white screen, and even while i was watching a hockey game because of the ice. and it went away in about 15-20mins of watching the hockey game in HD.
post #200 of 3158 Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 PM

I know that panasonic (px80 series) plasma have major problems with green ghosting - how does it look like on the sam 450? Did anyone compared those tv for this problem?
And which one is better for the SD (mainly 480i, not progressive)?
post #201 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uQuad View Post

I know that panasonic (px80 series) plasma have major problems with green ghosting - how does it look like on the sam 450? Did anyone compared those tv for this problem?
And which one is better for the SD (mainly 480i, not progressive)?

I haven't noticed phosphor trails too bad on mine... you see it from time to time but it's not terrible........ kinda like rainbows on my DLP
post #202 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM

i've noticed some IR when I'm playing games but it goes away right away(using game mode for games)

I prolly should keep the settings turned down still cuz I' not quite through the initial risk period

almost there though
post #203 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis71 View Post

anyone know how to? mine is off by about an inch to the left in 16:9 display.
Thanks.

Quote:

um i think that only happened to me when i had it in jsut scan mode but it could be the source as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by branko View Post

Odis, I have the same problem with the justscan mode.

Quote:

ya justscan mode is giving u obviously the sources true res, remember this set has a odd resolution so when it gives u the true res im guessing thats what that side bar is

What kind of source are you using and which input are you connected to?

I have , what I think is the same problem but with the 550 Samsung (FullHD). My source is hooked up via component cables and displays 1080i signal but I have a 1inch black bar on the left side.
It fills the screen when I set it to 16:9 but in Just Scan it lacks an inch on the left.

Is that what you guys are seeing and if so, has anybody found a solution?
By the way, in case yours is with component cable, does one of you have a box that has component and HDMI and can check whether maybe one works and one not....to see whether this is only on component inputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post

almost there though

is that the service menu of the 450? if yes, how did you enter it? with the 182 thingy like on last years model? anything interesting in there? do you lose all your settings when you enter and exit is (as on last years models) or have you noticed any change at all?
post #204 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM

yes it's the service menu
yes it's mute 182
yes it reset my settings
post #205 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 10:15 AM

i seem to notice the screen moves to the left when using non HD content on Starchoice set to 16.9 with HDMI.
my dvd player looked off also when using thx optimizer with component cables.
Starchoice Hd
New question. Do you always leave the pixal shift on?
Thanks again
post #206 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Just picked up my PN50A450 last night. I did something very dumb which was play COD4 for 3 hours without dialing down the settings enough. So today I saw the score icon in the lower left corner when I had to screen on the solid white background..It's almost gone now, after alternating between the scroll and Break-In DVD for about 2 hours.

But that's not the point of this post...
I am torn between the Oppo 980 and 981. The 980 is cheaper but Oppo suggests the 981 for a television our size. But, I've read there are sometimes issues with Samsung and the 981. Just wondering what DVD player some of you guys/girls use with the TV.

Thanks.
post #207 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonViking View Post

I am not certain of what exactly happens, but the individual working on the TV basically set up a tripod with a camera that faced the TV. He had a laptop plugged directly into the TV and the camera. Apparently they do their adjustments on the laptop and these are reflected on the TV somehow (sorry...I am not that technically inclined).

I was told the process would take around three hours but it took about an hour and a half. He showed me a number of graphs that reflected a perfect picture and where the Samsung was before and after calibration. It was honestly way over my head, but you could certainly see the improvement.

The following are the settings I am using for all sources:

Mode - Movie
Warm 2
Cell Light - 4
Contrast - 79
Brightness- 38
Sharpness - 10
Colour - 50
Tint - G54 R46
Black Adjust - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - +1
Color Space - Auto
White Balance- did not touch
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement- Off

These may not be of assistance, but pre calibration, they were similiar.

Hope that helps???

hey LondonViking. can you post the rest of your detailed settings under picture options. they are close to my liking.
Thanks
post #208 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dont play Call of Duty 4 on this tv. The score on the left bottom corner stays on there. I got rid of it using the srolling function, but as soon as I play the game again, it comes back. Other games I've been playing dont stay on there. The pixel shift is pretty much useless. I also have my xbox connected via component but im thinking about buying a VGA cable. Is there a difference?
post #209 of 3158 Old 05-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper98 View Post

i've noticed some IR when I'm playing games but it goes away right away(using game mode for games)

I prolly should keep the settings turned down still cuz I' not quite through the initial risk period

almost there though

Viper, Why is the Res: 1080 in your screen print? I thought the 450 to be a 720 display.
post #210 of 3158 Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutbob View Post

Viper, Why is the Res: 1080 in your screen print? I thought the 450 to be a 720 display.

because I have my pS3 set to 1080p

I may be completely wrong but I've always found it better to downscale an image from 1920x1080 to 1366x768 than upscale from 1280x720 to 1366x768
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page