Playstation 3 and your TV, HDMI CEC, Question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How well does CEC (Consumers Electronic Control) work with you televisions and what are its limitations? Do I need a Universal remote if I connect all my devices via HDMI?

I currently have a pioneer(8G) and I was wondering if the remote that comes with the pioneer will be able to control my future PS3?
Also can you program the PS3 to set up the TV for gaming/or movie watching separately? (ie: when I put in a game, the ps3 will auto adjust the TV to gaming settings, and likewise when I put in a DVD/Blu-ray it will auto adjust to my(D-Nice's) movie settings)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2008, 05:31 PM

the ps3 uses bluetooth for its remote so you would need a universal remote with bluetooth which is not a common remote feature unfortunately...
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj_canada View Post

the ps3 uses bluetooth for its remote so you would need a universal remote with bluetooth which is not a common remote feature unfortunately...

Sorry I am referring to the functionality of the HDMI CEC where it allows the exchange of information between devices without using another remote. So when you press the power button on your remote for your TV your PS3 will automatically shutoff also. I was wondering what other functionality is viable through the HDMI port, and if the TV remote would work with the actual control of the movie being played. As far as I have read from other posts it seems to be hit and miss, as only same-name brand devices seem play nice with each other.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2009, 01:58 PM

This is an old thread, but I have more information to contribute.

Perhaps people can model the format of their posts after mine if they are reporting on their own TVs.

TV: LG 32LH20
Tested Device; functionality: 120GB PS3 Slim; cannot make connection
Notes: Simplink is advertised as meeting HDMI-CEC specification, but LG tech support and manual says only LG Simplink devices are supported.

TV: Toshiba 32AV502RZ
Tested device; functionality: 120GB PS3 Slim; all playback controls work
Notes: none
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM

I just received a new LG 42LH90, and was devastated to realize that it also doesn't support with the PS3 slim.

TV: LG 42LH90
Tested device; functionality: 120GB PS3 Slim; cannot make connection
Notes: Simplink is advertised as meeting HDMI-CEC specification, but LG tech support and manual says only LG Simplink devices are supported.

TV: Panasonic TC-L26X1
Tested device; functionality: 120GB PS3 Slim; all navigation / playback controls work
Notes: none

I want a nice (reasonably-priced) TV that supports the PS3's HDMI-CEC. Does anyone know of a page that lists more brands / units known to be compatible?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays