Please give me your advice on how to hang my 60'' pioneer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to place my plasma over a window. could I take off the trim work around the window and place a 2X4 across the window and attach it to the studs on each side of the window. Then attach the plasma mount to the 2X4.

Will that hold the 60'' TV securely??

There is really no other place for me to wall mount and I really want to wall mount.

Please advise!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 AM

Not sure how a wall plate can be mounted on a 2x4? Nevertheless, it's too risky for a 60"-plasma to be supported by a single 2x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxhughes View Post

I want to place my plasma over a window. could I take off the trim work around the window and place a 2X4 across the window and attach it to the studs on each side of the window. Then attach the plasma mount to the 2X4.

There is really no other place for me to wall mount and I really want to wall mount.

Please advise!!!

Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

DON'T DO THAT! Large TVs need at least two solid vertical studs to attach the mount on. You're either going to have to take out that window and put some studs where it was or find a new place to mount your plasma (or just put it on a stand).

It would be a tragedy to have a beautiful 60" Pioneer fall of the wall and get splattered on the floor.

Patience has its rewards.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 AM

post some pics of your room setup. maybe get one of those mounts that extend from the wall and move left/right. you could then mount it to the side of the window.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT View Post

DON'T DO THAT! Large TVs need at least two solid vertical studs to attach the mount on. You're either going to have to take out that window and put some studs where it was or find a new place to mount your plasma (or just put it on a stand).

It would be a tragedy to have a beautiful 60" Pioneer fall of the wall and get splattered on the floor.

Fully agreed. And it would be an even bigger tragedy to have that 120+ lb. Pioneer land on your two-year-old.

One horizontal 2X4 is not sufficient to support that kind of weight. I would double any weight-bearing vertical studs that were installed in the rough opening - or better yet, use 4X4s - and I would toenail them VERY thoroughly.

The bottom line is that you need to build a new area of wall with sufficient framing to support the display, that also looks good enough to keep your wife from screaming that you've wrecked the house. This is a fairly advanced task for most DIYers as it involves both rough carpentry and interior/exterior finish work. If you have any doubt whatsoever about your own skills, you need to hire a professional carpenter. And in most states, you will need a building permit before undertaking any structural work like this.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if you have a saw to cut metal, you can use pre-holed, square-section tubes (at least 2) available at home depot or slotted angle. I built a frame with angle iron to a 60" TV 4' off the corner- see post 12623 for pic in Pio owners thread. then you can use a standard wall mount , tilting or fixed.

as suggested above, if you post pics/dimensions, i can perhaps give you more specific suggestions

Quote:

Please advise!!!

Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

What if I ran two 2X4's verticle connected to the studs above and below the window? I could brace them further with side supports.

I understand what you are saying about a horizontal 2x4 to the studs falling.

Two verticle studs is in essence a framed wall without the drywall correct?

Would that hold it?

I know some have asked for a picture. I will try and get one for you to see.

Imagine a falt wall 12' acroos with a window in the middle. It is approx. 3' across and 3 1/2 long.

I really appreciate the help.

Dax
Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have my 60 pio in an area with no wall behind it (stairs). I highly recommend you go to the PremierMounts web site and look for the commercial stands used in TV studios. I have this: A 60 lb floor holder (can go under carpet) with 2 holes (also comes with 1 hole), 2 black 60 inch tubes (also comes in chrome and various sizes), and a mount for the plasma. It is rock steady and I also used it for the previous Panasonic (I just had to swap the mount plate). I have the PSD-TS series http://www.premiermounts.com/adapter.asp?partID=39 this is the one with the poles to the back as opposed to in the middle of the stand, that's very important. It looks great (very subtle), and we love it. For the bedroom I mounted directly on the wall and used a Premier swingout http://www.premiermounts.com/infinity.asp?mount=am3 which is fantastic. BTW, I bought them from newegg but various vendors have them. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

almost...the 5/8 particle board (or ply) acts as a web (in the structural term) and provides stability for the 2x4s. since your are thinking cross bracing, it should be ok as long as you provide support every 12-16" in lieu of the sheathing.

Quote:

Two verticle studs is in essence a framed wall without the drywall correct?

Dax

Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds like my vertical 2X4's might work with cross bracing every 1'. That is my first option to try.

I like the commercial stand too. I looked it up on Premier Mounts.

How high does that thing go? I have a huge center (B&W HTM3S). Not sure it would fit on that center shelf.

I would like the bottom of the screen to be at least 4 to 41/2 feet off the ground. Will it go that high and higher?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

drgkja,

By the way you have a nice setup. I like the mount. Too difficult for my non-mechanical mind.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks...i had to put all my structural education to some use...

Quote:

drgkja,

By the way you have a nice setup. I like the mount. Too difficult for my non-mechanical mind.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The bottom at 4- 41/2 ft may be too high...that makes the center of the screen (the panel is 34" high) 55 to 61" above ground. Mark a target this high and see how it feels from you sofa or primary viewing chair.

btw, bottom edge of my 6070 panel (not the speaker) is 34" above ground.

1' spacing for bracing will be solid. for bracing, you can use slotted angle iron...they make the attachments simpler...home depot will cut to your specifications.

Quote:

It sounds like my vertical 2X4's might work with cross bracing every 1'. That is my first option to try.

How high does that thing go? I have a huge center (B&W HTM3S). Not sure it would fit on that center shelf.

I would like the bottom of the screen to be at least 4 to 41/2 feet off the ground. Will it go that high and higher?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A 2X8 or even 2X10 should work. Screw that into the wall horizontally and you're set. As long as you have 2 inches or so above and below the plasma mount so the screws don't break the board, you'll be alright.

The single board will take care of any flexing that 2 - 2X4's would have caused.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks

Funny you mention that.. I have an HTM1 the big guy! My stand is 22 1/2 tall, the bottom of the Plasma is 12 inches from the table top. The HTM1 sits fine with the Elite logo showing. And... I got about 12 inches more to go if I want on the 60 inch tubes. Keep in mind if you want it higher just order it with 72 inch tubes. I took 3 pictures but I can't get them added to the post.