Clarification on Plasma displays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some expert opinions on a few things I heard from my local BB sales guy...

The first thing which I found interesting was that he owned a Pioneer Elite (some 720p model) and we were discussing the advantages I'd get with the Elite vs the latest gen Panasonics or even the Kuro line from Pioneer. He said he wasn't sure about Kuro, but that the Elites had an extra bit in the video processor, and that this made a HUGE difference in the way SD programming looked on these displays. Is this true in any way?

Also, in regards to the Kuros, there was absolutely none on display, and he said you couldn't even buy the Kuro line right now, because Pioneer pulled them all from stores while they sorted out this outsourcing business they were getting into, yet plenty of Elites were on display in the Magnolia room. I found this interesting because on the BB website, there are plenty of Kuros to be found.

I'm trying to save a little money, but I'm having a hard time not buying the best, so I'm really torn between getting the Panny 800u or some Pioneer Elite or Kuro (maybe the 5010). I was reading the 85u thread and it seemed one issue that kept popping up was the fringing? (or is it phosphor lag?) when playing say Gears of War. I asked 3 guys at BB about this issue with plasmas, and they were all clueless, had never heard of such a thing ever on any plasma.

Can anyone clear up any of these issues for me? Thanks for all the great advice on this board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen pio 5010's on display up here in Canada, I don't know what that guy's talking about.

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I would suggest that if your viewing distance is 8 feet or closer, go with the pio 5020 that is coming soon (June from what I hear). You might not be able to find it on sale, but the original MSRP should be lower than the 5010's; the 5020 is rumored to have a MSRP of $4000 USD. If your viewing distance is greater than 8 feet, I would go for the Panny58PZ800 (I would guess it will be about $4000USD), or if you can afford it, the Pio 6020 coming out in June (rumored $5500USD).

If you really can't wait for the 58PZ800, 5020, or 6020, I think it might be kind of a toss-up between the new panny 50pz800, and the year-old 5010; go for the one you can get a better deal on, or which-ever one looks better in your eyes :-)
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
First of all, if they are current 8th generation models, the Elites are Kuros.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs23 View Post

Looking for some expert opinions on a few things I heard from my local BB sales guy...

The first thing which I found interesting was that he owned a Pioneer Elite (some 720p model) and we were discussing the advantages I'd get with the Elite vs the latest gen Panasonics or even the Kuro line from Pioneer. He said he wasn't sure about Kuro, but that the Elites had an extra bit in the video processor, and that this made a HUGE difference in the way SD programming looked on these displays. Is this true in any way?

Also, in regards to the Kuros, there was absolutely none on display, and he said you couldn't even buy the Kuro line right now, because Pioneer pulled them all from stores while they sorted out this outsourcing business they were getting into, yet plenty of Elites were on display in the Magnolia room. I found this interesting because on the BB website, there are plenty of Kuros to be found.

I'm trying to save a little money, but I'm having a hard time not buying the best, so I'm really torn between getting the Panny 800u or some Pioneer Elite or Kuro (maybe the 5010). I was reading the 85u thread and it seemed one issue that kept popping up was the fringing? (or is it phosphor lag?) when playing say Gears of War. I asked 3 guys at BB about this issue with plasmas, and they were all clueless, had never heard of such a thing ever on any plasma.

I'm not sure about the processor on the Elite vs the regular Kuro, but aside from the extra user-menu adjustability i can't see SD being way better on the Elite, if at all.

As for the lack of Kuros on display, Pioneer didn't pull anything from the stores (why would they?), they simply ceased production on the currentl models a month or two ago and the supply is simply drying up and the remaining stock is becoming scarce. It has nothing whatsoever to do with their planned outsourcing of plasma panels from Panasonic which won't even commence in mid-2009. The Elites are still available because they didn't sell all of them like on the regular models. A similar thing happened with Panasonic a few years ago - for the last few months of the model year you couldn't find one in stock anywhere, but they did have some of their upscale models left. The next generation Kuro which will be out in a few months will still be 100% Pioneer including the plasma panel. They won't be using the Panasonic glass until 2009.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page