post #631 of 7982 Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony324 View Post

Anyways, just thought I'd let you guys know that TVs generally have a 22% mark-up (sometimes more... I've worked for Best Buy

Thirty percent discounts were available for the Kuro 6010 from an AVS sponsor who is still in business after selling many many units to AVS members. I don't think BB Canada is sharing it's actual cost with it's sales people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7982 Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Just some advice for everyone out there... I have been working in the electronics business for a few years now and I can tell you that the mark-up on televisions is usually 22 points (or 22%). I know for a fact (here in Canada anyway) that the cost of the PRO-110FD is $4700 (22% off MSRP). I do not know what dealer cost will be on the new Elites, but use the 22%
Anyways, just thought I'd let you guys know that TVs generally have a 22% mark-up (sometimes more... I've worked for Best Buy

22% off of msrp is not a 22% mark up. And drop the cost talk, unless its advertised

“Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.”
post #633 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

I have gen 7 pioneer plasma.. should I go for gen 9 or wait for gen 10 ?
post #634 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT View Post

Which movies would you guys say are the best tests of a sets black level abilities? Master & Commander on Blu-ray comes to mind, but what do you guys think?

Sunshine!

"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

http://www.myspace.com/relocatorproject
Debut album featuring Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater) out now!
post #635 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

Do the black levels on the 7G bother you? The 9G would be a significant upgrade, but 10G would be even more significant if D-Nice is right about them using the ECC tech.
post #636 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

If you like Pioneer get a 9G Kuro PDP, because next year's models will be Pioneer/Panasonic hybrids and no one really knows how those 1st generation panels will turn out.

BTW... has anyone been able to determine if the 9G Pioneer PDPs will support tru2way?
post #637 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

If you like Pioneer get a 9G Kuro PDP, because next year's models will be Pioneer/Panasonic hybrids and no one really knows how those 1st generation panels will turn out.

BTW... has anyone been able to determine if the 9G Pioneer PDPs will support tru2way?

I think it was said a while
back (a couple days maybe a week) that tru2way left with the cable card slot. I may still be wrong.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #638 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

That's right - no cable card of any kind.
post #639 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 AM

What happen to "USER MODE" on this years models???? I loved this mode especially for day time.

What is the equivalent to the old "user" mode on the new panels "performance"?
post #640 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 AM

I pulled the Trigger on buying a 9G Elite from Tweeter in Virginia. I decided to get an Elite as I do plan to keep the TV 8-10 years and figured get the best. I have put 20% down. Actually I could'nt do it over the phone, but my brother-in-law was able to go to the store in Virginia and buy 2 9G Elites. That particular Tweeter store is getting 20 in their first shipment and they already have 10 spoken for. If I compare the price of 8G Elite from Forum Sponsors vs Retail the price difference is very similar to whats being charged by Tweeter for a 9G Elite. I have not seen more than 17% price difference on Elites, ofcourse on non-Elites, you get a better price difference from a Forum Sponsor vs Retail. Yep I will have to pay sales tax but Virgiinia sales tax is 3.5% less than CA. I will be in Virginia middle of June and that is when I plan to pick up the TV.

I live in Bay Area, CA, so now the challenge is going to be getting it shipped. Any recommendations on who should I get it shipped through. I want to avoid FedEX or UPS as I am not sure they have experience in shipping such a big TV. The shipping is making me nervous and is making me question if its a smart decision I can fully insure the shipment but would like to get help with who is the best shipment company I should look into.

I will still wait to see what price Forum Sponsors come up with as I have the option to cancel my Tweeter order anytime and get full refund.

Thanks for your help.
post #641 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 AM

D-Nice-
Pioneer is using a metal remote for the new Elite Blu-Ray player. Are they using the same type of metal remote for the new Elite TVs? Can you please tell me more about the new remotes (slimmer design? More buttons? Whats new?) Thanks D-Nice I appreciate everything you do on here for us
post #642 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

D-Nice-
Pioneer is using a metal remote for the new Elite Blu-Ray player. Are they using the same type of metal remote for the new Elite TVs? Can you please tell me more about the new remotes (slimmer design? More buttons? Whats new?) Thanks D-Nice I appreciate everything you do on here for us

I don't know anything about the remotes beyond a new design.
post #643 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM

NanoRish as an end user it is going to be very very hard for you to get a Plasma shipped cheap and to have them cover it with insurance. I mean that for most freight companies, just an FYI. Also recently other companies were blowing out last years models that is why you saw a good deal with local stores that only happens once a year.
post #644 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoRish View Post

I pulled the Trigger on buying a 9G Elite from Tweeter in Virginia. I decided to get an Elite as I do plan to keep the TV 8-10 years and figured get the best. I have put 20% down. Actually I could'nt do it over the phone, but my brother-in-law was able to go to the store in Virginia and buy 2 9G Elites. That particular Tweeter store is getting 20 in their first shipment and they already have 10 spoken for. If I compare the price of 8G Elite from Forum Sponsors vs Retail the price difference is very similar to whats being charged by Tweeter for a 9G Elite. I have not seen more than 17% price difference on Elites, ofcourse on non-Elites, you get a better price difference from a Forum Sponsor vs Retail. Yep I will have to pay sales tax but Virgiinia sales tax is 3.5% less than CA. I will be in Virginia middle of June and that is when I plan to pick up the TV.

I live in Bay Area, CA, so now the challenge is going to be getting it shipped. Any recommendations on who should I get it shipped through. I want to avoid FedEX or UPS as I am not sure they have experience in shipping such a big TV. The shipping is making me nervous and is making me question if its a smart decision I can fully insure the shipment but would like to get help with who is the best shipment company I should look into.

I will still wait to see what price Forum Sponsors come up with as I have the option to cancel my Tweeter order anytime and get full refund.

Thanks for your help.

I too have taken advantage of Tweeter's current offer (sorry, Roman :-). And yes...I had to go into the store to complete the transaction as well. I was told I'm 3rd on the list for the store's "region" (I'm in South Carolina), but the sales rep couldn't tell me how many were supposed to be coming in either.

Once real-world pricing starts filtering out, I'm sure I'll probably end up paying a good deal more than what I might pay if I were to do a phone order with one of the forum's sponsors. From what I've been able to research, it seems our sponsors do some pretty agressive pricing and they know how to treat their customers.

However, the 151FD will be part of a larger HT project that just might end up being installed by Tweeter. I've talked to the local head of their integration unit and he seems to know his stuff. He's coming out to scope the project out later this week. In my case, while I'm sure I'll be paying more (perhaps a lot more), I will end up with the peace of mind and the other advantages that comes with buying local.

On a purchase this large, I'd normally suggest that others to do likewise...especally if they are doing a full HT integration project. However, in your case, I'm wondering if you might want to reconsider your plans.

It would seem to me that any price advantage you might have from not buying local will be outweighed by having to ship the unit cross country yourself. From several different aspects, this does not seem to be a good idea.

If buying local just won't do, I would think it would be far, far more advantageous to go with one of the forum's sponsors. They know all the ins and outs of shipping and do this sort of thing on a regular basis. They also apparently know how to provide service after the sale. The testimony of this is evident all over the forum.

Of course, this is only one man's opinon. But right now, it appears the potential downsides are huge in comparison to any advantages you might gain with your current plan.
post #645 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post

I too have taken advantage of Tweeter's current offer (sorry, Roman :-). And yes...I had to go into the store to complete the transaction as well. I was told I'm 3rd on the list for the store's "region" (I'm in South Carolina), but the sales rep couldn't tell me how many were supposed to be coming in either.

Once real-world pricing starts filtering out, I'm sure I'll probably end up paying a good deal more than what I might pay if I were to do a phone order with one of the forum's sponsors. From what I've been able to research, it seems our sponsors do some pretty agressive pricing and they know how to treat their customers.

However, the 151FD will be part of a larger HT project that just might end up being installed by Tweeter. I've talked to the local head of their integration unit and he seems to know his stuff. He's coming out to scope the project out later this week. In my case, while I'm sure I'll be paying more (perhaps a lot more), I will end up with the peace of mind and the other advantages that comes with buying local.

On a purchase this large, I'd normally suggest that others to do likewise...especally if they are doing a full HT integration project. However, in your case, I'm wondering if you might want to reconsider your plans.

It would seem to me that any price advantage you might have from not buying local will be outweighed by having to ship the unit cross country yourself. From several different aspects, this does not seem to be a good idea.

If buying local just won't do, I would think it would be far, far more advantageous to go with one of the forum's sponsors. They know all the ins and outs of shipping and do this sort of thing on a regular basis. They also apparently know how to provide service after the sale. The testimony of this is evident all over the forum.

Of course, this is only one man's opinon. But right now, it appears the potential downsides are huge in comparison to any advantages you might gain with your current plan.

Which Tweeter did you go to?
post #646 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Would this happen to be the Tweeter in Charleston, SC? Reason I ask is because Im in that area and asked them last week about there 9g offers (after they pulled it from there ad's) and they kinda played dumb and acted very unsure as to when they would get them and tried to sell me a 110 instead which I already own.

Also, sort of off topic, but do you know of any reputable ISF certified calibraters in the SC area, preferably Charleston. I dont have a whole lot of faith on BB's geek squad.
post #647 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

Would this happen to be the Tweeter in Charleston, SC? Reason I ask is because Im in that area and asked them last week about there 9g offers (after they pulled it from there ad's) and they kinda played dumb and acted very unsure as to when they would get them and tried to sell me a 110 instead which I already own.

Also, sort of off topic, but do you know of any reputable ISF certified calibraters in the SC area, preferably Charleston. I dont have a whole lot of faith on BB's geek squad.

None. Perhaps one day I'll pay you a visit
post #648 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 AM

luvnhateSony & D-Nice,

It was the Tweeter in Mt. Pleasant, SC, which is, as you guys probably know, part of the greater Charleston, SC area.

As far as calibrators go, I was hoping to use Jeff (posts under the name of UMR) when he does one of his tours out this way. Other than that, I don't know of anyone else locally. That is, unless, D-Nice is trying to hint that he is local to us??

If so, that would be a hoot. Our little metro area is so far behind the times in most things, it would be ironic to have one of the forum's preminante plasma authorities living in our own back yard.
post #649 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightslot View Post

Televisions
US NEWS: Pioneer launches new Kuro TVs and projector, hand-selected Elite Signature screens and new Blu-ray players
May 08, 2008

There's still a fortnight to go until Pioneer's UK launch of its new Kuro TV line-up, but the company's US launch, held yesterday, may give some ideas what to expect.

Shown at the New York event were four new Kuro plasma TVs - two each in 50in and 60in sizes, plus a new range of Signature Elite monitors, hand-selected for quality.

And the company also launching its first Kuro projector, a three-chip D-ILA model.

The new mainstream Kuro models are said to offer five times deeper black levels than the current TVs, and are around 9.4cm thick, said to be a 30% reduction on last year's models. And the Signature models are even thinner, at under 7cm.

Optimum Mode Adjustment
They have a new Optimum Mode automatic adjustment, monitoring both ambient light and video brightness, and an improved remote control and on-screen graphical user interface. They also have a USB input and DLNA/Windows PlaysForSure networking compatibility for streaming music, stills and HD video files.

The Elite Signature models, also in 50in and 60in versions, come without TV tuners, and have been hand-assembled from selected parts. They come with a certificate confirming this, and have an IP connectivity function to allow a dealer to connect to the screen over the internet and make adjustments.

Hold the truck roll
Or, as Russ Johnston, Pioneer's home business solutions groups marketing and product planning executive vice-president, puts it, "Often adjustments will be possible over the internet without requiring a truck roll."

The Pioneer Kuro three-chip D-ILA projector is designed to produce contrast ratios meaning its black levels are similar to those of the TVs, and has a rich color gamut, a wide lens shift capacity, dual HDMI 1.3 support, and a wide range of image adjustments and calibration settings.

Profile 1.1, but no BD-Live - yet...
The company's new Blu-ray Disc players offer BonusView capability, as part of their Profile 1.1 compatibility, but US customers will have to wait until the Fall - sorry, Autumn - to get BD Live-capable machines.

The machines have a system to upscale colour resolution, giving an effective 36-bit colour depth, use Wolfson DACs for improved audio quality, and also implement a strategy designed to eliminate jitter when playing music CDs via HDMI into a Pioneer receiver.

As soon as we have pictures of the new products we'll bring you them - until then, only two weeks to wait for the official UK announcements

Kuro Projector ? YES! please

I'm guessing larger than 70" of Pio pleasure is going to get a LOT more affordable than I thought.

My 5070 is great for a bedroom TV, my 5080 in the living room....adequate
But in the basement man-cave it's gotta be 140"+

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #650 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

luvnhateSony & D-Nice,

It was the Tweeter in Mt. Pleasant, SC, which is, as you guys probably know, part of the greater Charleston, SC area.

As far as calibrators go, I was hoping to use Jeff (posts under the name of UMR) when he does one of his tours out this way. Other than that, I don't know of anyone else locally. That is, unless, D-Nice is trying to hint that he is local to us??

If so, that would be a hoot. Our little metro area is so far behind the times in most things, it would be ironic to have one of the forum's preminante plasma authorities living in our own back yard.

I am 118 miles north of you....taking I-26 West
post #651 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I am 118 miles north of you....taking I-26 West

Amazing. Go 'Cocks! (That's the SC Gamecocks to all of you from "off"). Come down sometime for a little shrimp-n-grits!
post #652 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

You can check for tours to your area by these members of AVS -- UMR, Eliab, and Gregg Loewen. Those are all AVS user names so you can get their contact information by doing an advanced search by user name and then clicking on their name associated with any of their posts.

You can also check out their work by reading the two lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.
post #653 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

As far as calibrators go, I was hoping to use Jeff (posts under the name of UMR) when he does one of his tours out this way. Other than that, I don't know of anyone else locally.

I just posted two others that might do tours to your area.
post #654 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

None. Perhaps one day I'll pay you a visit

It would be a pleasure and an honor! A legend like youself is more than welcomed at my home! My pioneer elite especially would welcome your visit

As far as there being NO certified ISF calibraters in chuck town, well thats just depressing for a guy who would love his elite to unleash its full fury. And like I said before I'll live strictly on your settings before I have geek squad lay there unqualified hands on my Kuro.

Tell you what D-nice you bless my elite with your greatness and I'll officially drop Sony from my member name and change it all together to luvnothingbutKuro.

Im starting to wonder if we met already
post #655 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote: I live in Bay Area, CA, so now the challenge is going to be getting it shipped.

Shipping from Virginia to California?? You are a bigger gambler than I. Whatever money you saved will be spent .... or even more so ... to ship it cross country. And you better hope there's no problem and you have to ship it back. Good luck.
post #656 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM

:
Quote:

Amazing. Go 'Cocks! (That's the SC Gamecocks to all of you from "off"). Come down sometime for a little shrimp-n-grits!

AMAZING INDEED! Let me know when everybodys getting together for dinner

By the way Shutterman, the Mt.Pleasant Tweeter was the one I refered to on my earlier post and was wondering if they gave you an idea as to when the 111's will be in or available?
post #657 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM

Just got off the phone with Pioneer. After being re-directed to about 5 different reps, I finally got some info. on the new Elites. The rep at head office in Canada has seen the new demos and confirmed that the new remotes (for the Elites anyway) have a metallic finish with silver trimming. He said they are just about as long as the old remotes, they are not as thick but they are heavy and durable. He said they really compliment the new TVs.
He also said that the difference between the 8G 110FD and his demo of the 111FD is minimal, but definitely noticable in a dark room. He said the blacks do look darker when the two ar side-by-side with the right lighting conditions.
So... it sounds like these new TVs will be totally awesome and I am very excited!!
post #658 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:

The rep at head office in Canada has seen the new demos and confirmed that the new remotes (for the Elites anyway) have a metallic finish with silver trimming.

By the word "finish" I assume this means the remote is metal-colored plastic as opposed to being made from actual metal. Did he specify? Not that plastic's a bad thing ... in fact unless made out of way-too-expensive magnesium or titanium, a metal remote would be to heavy anyway.
post #659 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 AM

does anyone have a copy of the tweeter add?
i went into my local sound advice (tweeter) and they had no idea what i was talking about.
post #660 of 7982 Old 05-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandphan View Post

22% off of msrp is not a 22% mark up. And drop the cost talk, unless its advertised

Thank you
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page