post #6571 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfreak18 View Post

What about games and DVDs. The black levels seem incomplete on my 5010 on limited on DVDs

I don't know about games however DVDs and BDs are mastered and encoded to Studio RGB (16-235) not PC RGB(0-255).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I don't know about games however DVDs and BDs are mastered and encoded to Studio RGB (16-235) not PC RGB(0-255).

Thanks again. But again, why would that not limit black levels??

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #6573 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Thanks again. But again, why would that not limit black levels??

It's not limiting black levels. It correctly mapping the black setup. If something is encoded in Studio RGB, displaying it in PC RGB would distort the grayscale.
post #6574 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not limiting black levels. It correctly mapping the black setup. If something is encoded in Studio RGB, displaying it in PC RGB would distort the grayscale.

Ok thanks. I was just wondering because I'm relatively unimpressed with my 5010s black levels. Just can't wait until the 151 comes in tomorrow.

post #6575 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Well after having a nearly perfect 111 for about 4 days I get up yesterday morning and after running the break in DVD through the night like I have been I turn it off to watch Sportcenter and I notice a stuck pixel at the far left side of the screen

I couldnt believe it! It wasnt there the first couple days and some how one pops up. How does that even happen? I thought normally if you have a stuck pixel it shows up right away but i guess not. I threw the break in DVD to see what colors it shows up on and it seems to be the really blue screen and the reds. UUUUGH!!! When watching normal programming its not always there, I guess becuase it only shows up on certain colors, but its definetly visible even from 12ft away when in particular espn has the black bars with the espn logo on either side it shows up on the grey letter P in espn on the left side where its located.

I reeeeally hope the pixel reactivates or becomes unstuck. Ive tried massaging it a few times with the micro fiber cloth the panel came with and it didnt really do anything but cuase it to flicker a few times. I do notice it flickers on its own from time to time but not sure if thats a good sign or not. If anybody has some helpful advice I would really appreciate it. I really DON'T want to return this set since it is basically buzz free, unlike my previous ELITES, and possibly have to wait for another 111 since there in limited supply and potentially get one with more stuck or even dead pixels.
post #6576 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

I thought somebody said that the 5020s from Amazon came from 6th Avenue Electronics in NY. and the 6020s directly from Amazon. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There are Amazon defenders here but I wouldn't be one of them for a purchase of this kind.

Items on Amazon.com come from Amazon.com unless it's indicated on the product page. For those products, it will say "ships from xxx" or "ships from and sold by xxx" in the middle near the MSRP price and near the "add to shopping cart" button. Availability changes, so check the page when ordering to see where it's actually coming from.
post #6577 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Learn something new every day. I'm pretty sure at one time the suggested settings were Full and YPb/Cb Pr/Cr. I guess I'll have to change my PS3 settings.
post #6578 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Ok thanks. I was just wondering because I'm relatively unimpressed with my 5010s black levels. Just can't wait until the 151 comes in tomorrow.

Just curious, but what made you decide to get a 5010 and a 151 instead of a 5020 and a 151?
post #6579 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I haven't seen one. It may be one would have to measure with the appropriate tools. For comparison, the 5020 is 436 watts, 0.2 standby.

For the 5080, zdnet measured 331W in default mode and 229W in calibrated mode. The spec sheet says 371W.

So, I hope that the actual power consumption in movie mode is closer to 2/3 of the quoted 524W power consumption on the 6020---hopefully, 350W.

D-Nice---how about trying a Kill-A-Watt meter on your next review to see how much juice they really use?

regards,

/iaw
post #6580 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

For the 5080, zdnet measured 331W in default mode and 229W in calibrated mode. The spec sheet says 371W.

So, I hope that the actual power consumption in movie mode is closer to 2/3 of the quoted 524W power consumption on the 6020---hopefully, 350W.

D-Nice---how about trying a Kill-A-Watt meter on your next review to see how much juice they really use?

regards,

/iaw

I'll be able to throw a kill-a-watt on my 6020 tonight.
post #6581 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Incorrect for BD sources. RGB should be set to LIMITED and superwhite set to On.

I thought BD output on the PS3 should be set to XYC?
post #6582 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

Well after having a nearly perfect 111 for about 4 days I get up yesterday morning and after running the break in DVD through the night like I have been I turn it off to watch Sportcenter and I notice a stuck pixel at the far left side of the screen

I couldnt believe it! It wasnt there the first couple days and some how one pops up. How does that even happen? I thought normally if you have a stuck pixel it shows up right away but i guess not. I threw the break in DVD to see what colors it shows up on and it seems to be the really blue screen and the reds. UUUUGH!!! When watching normal programming its not always there, I guess becuase it only shows up on certain colors, but its definetly visible even from 12ft away when in particular espn has the black bars with the espn logo on either side it shows up on the grey letter P in espn on the left side where its located.

I reeeeally hope the pixel reactivates or becomes unstuck. Ive tried massaging it a few times with the micro fiber cloth the panel came with and it didnt really do anything but cuase it to flicker a few times. I do notice it flickers on its own from time to time but not sure if thats a good sign or not. If anybody has some helpful advice I would really appreciate it. I really DON'T want to return this set since it is basically buzz free, unlike my previous ELITES, and possibly have to wait for another 111 since there in limited supply and potentially get one with more stuck or even dead pixels.

My 1 stuck pixel became unstuck after running the break-in dvd for 30 hrs.
Maybe I am too easy going but I never thought of even considering returning the set even if it did not become unstuck. I mean it's one pixel. No big deal.
post #6583 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCJack View Post

Maybe I am too easy going but I never thought of even considering returning the set even if it did not become unstuck. I mean it's one pixel. No big deal.

Here is another example for me
post #6584 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the info D-Nice, I will set my PS3 to Limited when I get home, I also have super white already on. Also, I have YPb/Cb Pr/Cr on as well. Do you know what cross color reduction filter does? should it be on or off? lastly, what does the Cinema Conversion feature do on the ps3? should it be on Auto or Video? thanks
post #6585 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Roman,

I also have one stuck pixel (actually, it's the green subpixel of a pixel), and I too wouldn't return it for that.

I have some other problems (uniformity in bright scenes) that are leading me to return my 5010 (to a b&m).

-R

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #6586 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone connected a stb to a 9G via DVI? If so, is grayscale accurate? 8Gs would auto-recognize.

Thanks,
-R

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #6587 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post

Roman,

I also have one stuck pixel (actually, it's the green subpixel of a pixel), and I too wouldn't return it for that.

I have some other problems (uniformity in bright scenes) that are leading me to return my 5010 (to a b&m).

-R

If you have the opportunity to return it then its worth a shot.
post #6588 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Thats GREAT and promising news! My stuck pixel appeared about 75 hours into break in for some reason but hopefully I have the same result as you did after several more hours and it'll dissapear. The more I realize how I have to look for it to see it the more I think I would not return it either.
post #6589 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Just curious, but what made you decide to get a 5010 and a 151 instead of a 5020 and a 151?

Availability (and a decent deal on the 5010). In the new house, I didn't even have a TV.... I needed one right then (that was on saturday the 28th). I didn't want to wait until thursday (the third of july) to get both TVs, so I got the 5010 right then and I'm getting the 151 tomorrow.

post #6590 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

quick question, I noticed each time I put in a movie I check which display mode is being shown and it always goes to Auto. I always end up switching this to Dot By Dot. does anyone know why this might be happening? help is apprecaited. thanks
post #6591 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post

-R

Pioneer service technicians have a program they can run thru the "service menu" to fix dead and stuck pixels. Something they will not allow you to do personally, however call 1-800-PIONEER and set up a service apointment.
post #6592 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun View Post

I noticed each time I put in a movie I check which display mode is being shown and it always goes to Auto. I always end up switching this to Dot By Dot. does anyone know why this might be happening?

Setup->Option->Auto Size

Set it to "Off".

Then it will stay on your chosen setting.

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #6593 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Most games should be at video levels (16-235) as well since the developers understand that the PS3 is being used on televisions and not for the most part on PC based monitors. I believe I recall that King Kong (360) was thought to be using PC levels causing users to complain about it being too dark and difficulty seeing in dark areas (crush). IIRC MS did add PC level support for using the VGA connection later.

Wrt to the PS3 though too bad Sony used technical terms "FULL" and "Limited" in menus when most users naturally assume that "FULL" must be better while in fact "Limited" will usually be the better choice, unless of course you have a display set to expect 0-255.

Some have reported that the PS3 XMB may look better for them on Full however but content best on Limited. I'd go with content.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #6594 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Pioneer service technicians have a program they can run thru the "service menu" to fix dead and stuck pixels. Something they will not allow you to do personally, however call 1-800-PIONEER and set up a service apointment.

There seems to be a broad concensus, including amongst other dealer-posters, that dead pixels aren't fixable. You have seen this service menu program literally fix dead pixels?
post #6595 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post

I couldnt believe it! It wasnt there the first couple days and some how one pops up. How does that even happen? I thought normally if you have a stuck pixel it shows up right away but i guess not..........

luvhatesony, sorry you having trouble after it was delivered pixel perfect.

yes, it was dicussed and just part of the reason the manufacturers do not offer pixel perfect warranties. it left the assmebly plant perfect and then went stuck/dead.

keep running the breakin dvd or pixar movies like roman suggest and hopefully it will work out.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #6596 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:

John, take some friendly advise and spend some quality time in the calibration forum. When you are there, ask around about using the AEMC 813. Better yet, here are two well known AVS members that use it:

Tom Huffman
umr

When you finally figure out what the hell you can use the meter for, go purchase a 9G Kuro and report back what reading it gives you.

As far as side stepping your original question....well, I though you had all the answers....why do you of all people need a response from me

Believe me, I have trawled and searched through the calibration forum. The discussion surrounding the use of an illuminance meter to measure luminance is largely applied to projectors where screen gain and distance can be factored into the equation. As far as I'm aware, you're the only respected forum contributor who uses the CA813 to measure black level on a emissive display panel.

Some time ago I posted this question, asking about how to accurately measure black-level luminance on a flat screen television using an illuminance meter, and not even TomHuffman could give a satisfactory answer.

Best regards
John
post #6597 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

thanks chmilar, appreciate it.
post #6598 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Good to hear that the break-in DVD raised that pixel from the dead.
post #6599 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Here is another example for me

My Uncle, upon buying a new car, had a ritual. he would take the key, and discreetly scratch the key into the car's paint where it would not be noticeable.

He always told me it was an easy way to get the first "ding" out of the way immediately. Then he wasn't uptight about keeping the car perfect, because inevitably something happens.

For people to return the TV over a pixel or two, is absolutely anal.
post #6600 of 7982 Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Uncle, upon buying a new car, had a ritual. he would take the key, and discreetly scratch the key into the car's paint where it would not be noticeable.

He always told me it was an easy way to get the first "ding" out of the way immediately. Then he wasn't uptight about keeping the car perfect, because inevitably something happens.

For people to return the TV over a pixel or two, is absolutely anal.

Anal would be keying your own new car. That inevitable thing that happens is called "rust."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page