Why did my HD channels go away? :-( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 50PZ77U and ever since the beginning, I have been able to pick up HD channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, FOX...

But 2 days ago, the HD signal to CBS and ABC went away! :-(

I also used to see PPV movies too at times, and I am not seeing those as much anymore either.

Is there anything I can do to get the HD channels back? I know I can pay comcast $10 more a month just to look at HD channels, but that is just so....sucky to me! We pay all this money for an amazing TV, and then we have to pay a monthly fee to get a HD picture? Dumb!

Does this probably mean my cable company is blocking the CBS ABC HD channel??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I would doublecheck and make sure everything is still set up right on your end and try re-scanning for the channels. All cable companies are required by law to broadcast the local HD channels in clear QAM so you can pick it up without a box.

post #3 of 17 Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooserX View Post

I have a 50PZ77U and ever since the beginning, I have been able to pick up HD channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, FOX...

But 2 days ago, the HD signal to CBS and ABC went away! :-(

I also used to see PPV movies too at times, and I am not seeing those as much anymore either.

Is there anything I can do to get the HD channels back? I know I can pay comcast $10 more a month just to look at HD channels, but that is just so....sucky to me! We pay all this money for an amazing TV, and then we have to pay a monthly fee to get a HD picture? Dumb!

Does this probably mean my cable company is blocking the CBS ABC HD channel??

It could be that they no longer have them via unencrypted QAM but more likely they just moved them around. Try rescanning.

You can also probably just get the basic HD cable box (about $5 per month) WITHOUT the special HD tier and you'll get the clear QAM channels. That's what I have done in the past, and I've been able to receive the networks but not the cable HD channels like Discovery, ESPN, TNT, etc etc.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well, if this means anything, my local cable operator (Cableone) a few months ago got into an argument with the CBS and NBC affilliates in my area about licensing fees. The TV stations wanted Cableone to pay them some kind of payment for allowing them access to their HD channels, and Cableone argued that they should not have to pay, cuz it is availabe for free OTA anyways.

So what happened? Well, the local CBS and NBC affiliates decided to pull their HD channels from Cableone's lineup, until they received compensation for their channels. Still not quite sure if the problem has been resolved, as I have Dish Network, but it was just a crappy deal for all those cable subscribers.

Maybe that is what is happening in your area?

that, or they just re-arranged the channels
post #5 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.

I did re-scan, but nothing happened....they're still not there. Under the normal channels...7 and 4, they were still there, so it doesn't seem like they rearranged anything.

Ugh!

Stinks! I was LOVING the NBA playoffs in HD, now it blows.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas.

I did re-scan, but nothing happened....they're still not there. Under the normal channels...7 and 4, they were still there, so it doesn't seem like they rearranged anything.

Ugh!

What about the higher channel numbers? For me the local channels are in ch.89-504 etc etc
post #7 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Heres an original idea...... why not pick up the telephone and call your cable company? Ask them why those channels are not being broadcast in clear QAM. Instead of coming to an A/V forum and asking complete strangers what the problem with YOUR cable is
post #8 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:

We pay all this money for an amazing TV, and then we have to pay a monthly fee to get a HD picture? Dumb!

Well, I guess I'm dumb...but I'm watching HD channels right now haha
post #9 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You can also use an antenna and get the HD channels over the air.
gus738 likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 PM

My Comcast In the Philly area does this sometimes too. I wait a few days and re-scan and they are back. I think they are trying to get everyone to buy their $10/month HD service, and their $5/month box rental service. I can't call because I am getting it for free. I have Dish network, and cancelled my comcast, but they never shut my service off, so I hooked up a cable, and found that I was getting PPV and all. It soon became scrambled, and they I re-scanned, and they were back. I rarely watch Comcast, but I am interested in the process.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

hopefully you will get the basic channels back soon. whenthey do return, do post how you did it.

but even if you do, you should consider the $12-15/mo for HD capability. after spending n thousands on an HD TV, this can be considered as cost of enjoying all the HD channels you will get

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas.

Ugh!

post #12 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 AM

We too had the box the government was selling for $40 for HD channels when they made the change and it stopped working 3 days ago. Today, though, it is up and running again along with a new Spanish channel being tested. Try again to see if it works.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 AM

Hi there, new problem wondering if you could help ­čśâ, I seem to have lost my freeview hd channels , I did have them but have now disappeared , tyred retuning several times but no joy, I'm tuning through air , cheers I'm in the uk
post #14 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavies8 View Post

Hi there, new problem wondering if you could help ­čśâ, I seem to have lost my freeview hd channels , I did have them but have now disappeared , tyred retuning several times but no joy, I'm tuning through air , cheers I'm in the uk

It's odd that the HD channels would disappear from the OTA broadcasters so i hope it's not a problem with your TV's built-in tuner. I would disconnect the antenna cable and run a full channel scan (since there is no signal this effectively clears out the tuner's channel memory so you can start fresh), then when that completes, reconnect the antenna cable and do a new channel scan.

There are only a handful of UK readers here on the US-based AVS forum, so you'd probably be better off asking our cousins over on the the UK-based AVForums. Also let them know what your TV's model number is.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs.82/

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #15 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 07:03 AM

Ok cheers for that I'll give it a go , umm the tv is only just over a month old but I suppose that don't mean much , I suppose at least it be covered with warranty
post #16 of 17 Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

You can also use an antenna and get the HD channels over the air.

and this is the bes option as all cable companies use digital compression thus a lower quality channel as opposed to use a basic indoor antenna.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #17 of 17 Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 AM

Yeah that's what I'm doing over the air and they gone , cheers Steve
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays