Help--Pioneer 5010 Red Blinking Light of Death - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just came home from work and was greeted with my wife telling me my Kuro 5010 had stopped working. I did a quick search and found a reference to the red blinking light of death. I unplugged the tv for several minutes. Plugged it in and attempting to power it up yielded the same results. Red light blinks 3 times and repeats.

I bought the set from PlasmaConcepts in mid-December. I'm off now to frantically look for my warranty info.

Suggestions, tips, and virtual commiserating are all welcomed!

Thanks,

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

Pioneer referred me to a local service center. I left a message last night and they just returned my call (good sign). The three red flashes indicate two possibilities:

1) Scan IC
2) Y-Drive

The shop is going to write up the repair and call me back to schedule the visit, either later this week or next week at the latest (another good sign).

Jon
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Service guy just left. He popped the back off the panel and immediately spotted a blown scan IC. He is coming back later to pick up the panel, and, if I am REALLY lucky, I can get it back tomorrow. I'm figuring on next week though. He has to replace this surface mount chip.

A quick scan of the forums shows other Pioneer scan IC problems in the past, but not a huge amount. I remain optimistic.

Jon
post #4 of 15 Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Latest Update: Repair guy picked up the tv last Friday evening. I got an update today from him. He replaced the scan ic and ran the 5010 for a couple days. It blew the chip again. He has a call in to Pioneer to "replace the panel." Not sure if this means the display panel or the whole television. I left a message tonight asking. Our schedules make it hard to actually reach each other, but my calls are always returned and messages left for me on the answering machine. So far, so good. He was hoping to hear back from Pioneer today or tomorrow. The repair company is Certified Electronics in Randallstown, MD.

Jon
post #5 of 15 Old 05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear about your panel, but it sounds like it's being taken care of. If the repair guy can't solve the problem, they'll probably replace the entire thing.

Good luck

Patience has its rewards.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
A bit off-topic, but since I'm an international customer who's going to order this TV online soon (the Kuros are very overpriced where I live), I won't have much options like having Pioneer replace my Kuro if such problem occurred.

So my question is, is the red light of death a common problem with Pioneer Kuro 5010s ?

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #7 of 15 Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

A bit off-topic, but since I'm an international customer who's going to order this TV online soon (the Kuros are very overpriced where I live), I won't have much options like having Pioneer replace my Kuro if such problem occurred.

So my question is, is the red light of death a common problem with Pioneer Kuro 5010s ?

You will still be able to get it repaired if needed..it will just cost you your own money. I wouldn't say this is something common to Pioneers or 5010's in particular...you stand a much better chance of getting one with no issues whatsoever.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #8 of 15 Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

You will still be able to get it repaired if needed..it will just cost you your own money. I wouldn't say this is something common to Pioneers or 5010's in particular...you stand a much better chance of getting one with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks a lot for replying, it sure made me less paranoid now .

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #9 of 15 Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Just had the 3 red light kiss of death a month ago on my older Pioneer. Turned out to be the Y drive and one scan IC chip. There are twelve scan I.C.'s. Parts were about $350ish. Labor was $295 for a total of $675. Oh well, caught a big break on parts cost though and paid about 50% of retail parts cost. Mine was obviously out of warranty.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Non-update: Still no word back from the repair company. I called today and left a message. Hoping for a call back tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Mr. TiVo is filling up. I hooked up an older pc monitor via an HDMI->DVI adapter, but can't watch HDCP programming, which almost all of my HD recordings are. And now I'm 5 episodes behind in Galactica. This is getting serious!

Jon
post #11 of 15 Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

And now the Rest of the Story:

My *new* 5010 was delivered to me Tuesday by Certified Electronics. Not in the box, but still covered with the styrofoam "blanket". It looked like they just swapped my old stand onto the new panel. Guy was very nice, helped me get it all connected and verified working. I signed the papers, thanked him, and he departed. I immediately jumped into the service menu to verify the time on the panel: 0 hours, 9 minutes!! Sweet. I think the 9 minutes were from our connection/testing. Brand new! I then applied D-Nice's viewing settings and enjoyed for a few minutes.

Later, I had to go to my daughter's dance recital that evening. When I returned, a violent storm had gone through. We were then without power for 24 hours! After power came back, I had no cable until this evening! I finally got to view some HD tonight. Picture is incredible. It is possibly better than my previous panel, but also may just be the relative look compared to my 19" computer monitor I was using.

So, in the end, it all worked out very well. I am really pleased with Pioneer and each person I talked to there was very friendly and helpful.

Special thanks again to Aric from Plasma Concepts for all his help and information along the way. Above and beyond anything I expected!

Jon
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2008, 02:48 AM

Hi there John!
I just saw your message today at the settings thread and I hope you can help me out with some questions I have.
As I have mentioned, I'm living in Brazil and it's much more difficult to get service from Pioneer here since Pioneer only have one division here in Brazil: Auto sound and video and no home entertainment.
Last week I sent an e-mail to Pioneer from the support website and at the very next day someone from Pioneer Brazil called me saying that unfortunately they have no warranty here (I knew that already) but that I could call a service here in Rio de Janeiro and ask them to repair the set. I called 2 different companies and at the second one, they told me that as a Pioneer authorized dealer they could take a look at the set. However to speed things up, I was to take the service manual along with the set because they did not have one. Can you imagine an authorized service without the service manual?
As I said at the settings thread, I own a Broadcast company and I have very good engineering people that can follow the service manual better then these guys so once again I took the risk and ask one of them to take a look at the set.
No big deal and we manage to find out that the problem lies at the power supply. It has 2 relays: One is working fine. The other one seems to be ok also, but is not receiving the order from the main assy to be turned on and that is what is avoiding the set to be turned on.
The only problem we have is that we missed the “trap switch” and the set is now blocked with both blue and red leds on at all time and of course the TV cannot be turned on.
This is a very difficult TV to work with I can tell you that. Too much protections to avoid illegal copy of it’s content and some things you can only do with some knowledge that only Pioneer has.
As you remember, I had 2 flashes every 3 seconds of the red led and also I was at my office and my wife just called me saying the TV was not working. We must create a thread encouraging guys like us to prevent their wives to turn their TVs on. Just joking... I have never heard anything about the red light of death. Is that common among Kuros sets?
At this moment, I have 3 choices: The first one is to try to repair it myself but I can tell you that is not that easy without some technical information from Pioneer and I really don’t think they are going to do that; the second is to take it to an authorized service here in Brazil (they don’t come to our houses here, you have to take the set to them which in this country is not a very good thing to do) and the 3rd one is to take the TV back to US and see if I can get it repaired there.
Do you have any technical information at all that you can share? I need to know how to use the remote control that comes with the unit as a factory remote control, to turn the set into factory mode.
We think the set might even have no problem at all and that is blocked as a precaution. This might me caused by the problem with the AC from my UPS.
You want to know the worst of all this: I have no Kuro at all! After breaking in period I had no time to enjoy the set and even after all this I’m still willing to go to all this trouble again just to have a Kuro set.
Let me know if you can help me in any way. I’ll keep you posted about how things are going. This Monday I’ll contact Pioneer again.

Wish me luck...
post #13 of 15 Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am bumping this thread as my brand new 141 just began doing this. Picture went blank, red power light began flashing and now I can not get it to turn on. I have had this TV less than one week. It was a January 2009 build, or so says the box. It was purchased from one of the forum dealers. I hope I am taken care of here.

What has happened with your situations? Were any of you purchases from any AVS dealers? I can only imagine how long I will now be without a TV.

I look forward to any replies so I can know what to expect.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Same thing here with my brand new PRO-141FD in India.

I got it from the USA and turned it on just a couple of days ago. I barely watched 4-5 hours on it and now it won't start up When I turn it on, the blue light turns on for a few seconds and then it is 2 blinking red lights

I'm not even sure the warranty is honored here. I'm going to call them tonight.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's a problem with one of the boards (sorry, but I don't recall which one). Had mine replaced and now working fine. The repair can be done in your home by an authorized tech. Took a couple of hours at most once they get the bard in from Pioneer.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page