Samsung PN58A650 Owners Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 2352 Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just got the 650 yesterday and threw it up. I hooked it up to the Yamaha 5990 with the Emotiva UPA-7 (All channels driven@ 1Khz, 115 VAC/60HZ supply, THD noted-225 Watts into 4 Ohms (0.04%THD) driving L,R,C, Totem Mite "T"'s, Cerwyn Vega RTR 10's - surround, EDR-1's(designed by Vance Dickason)-surround backs (all 4 OHM) and Bob Carver's Sunfire D-10 1000 watt sub............................I got One big problem...............I can't leave the damn room!!!!!!!! I am totally humbled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 2352 Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 PM

Just got my PN50A650 today. Great looking set. Delivered by big river white glove and that went great. Guy set it up for me and let me closely examine it. Couldn't find any dead pixels which is good. Mounting it up on the wall tonight.
post #663 of 2352 Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17seconds View Post

Just got my PN50A650 today. Great looking set. Delivered by big river white glove and that went great. Guy set it up for me and let me closely examine it. Couldn't find any dead pixels which is good. Mounting it up on the wall tonight.

Put mine up on the mount last night. Wow!!! Great image quality right off the bat. this unit is replacing an Aquos 46D62U LCD. Man, what a difference. the PS3 looks amazing.

One question though: fired I am Legend Bluray and I got "mode not supported" pop up box. The info had the display at 1080p 24Hz. What's that about?

Also, I think I found a dead pixel. no biggy.

What's the remote combo to see how many hours its been working?

Mark
post #664 of 2352 Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I notice some IR when I leave a ticker like on ESPN or CNN on the screen for 10 minutes or so. When you switch to another channel you can briefly see IR in the gray bars. Hopefully it'll go away..
post #665 of 2352 Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM

New here... so, I'll be quick.

Recently out of college... so I don't have tons of extra $$$ sitting around. Saved up my own cash for a sweet new HDTV. I think (it's so hard to choose) that I've finally settled on the 650.

Anywho... I don't want to blow money on a calibration. I'm fairly smart when it comes to electronics, you know... decent with the basics, but I'm not a technician either.

I want to calibrate it on my own (and use the saved dough to maybe buy a good receiver ).

Anyone have setting's suggestions? There's so many pages here, all good stuff, but a lot to wade through. I would prefer to stay away from the service menue since I've read I can do more harm than good messing with that.

Thanx in advance.
(Sorry, that wasn't that quick... I can ramble.)
post #666 of 2352 Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phntm3 View Post

Recently out of college... so I don't have tons of extra $$$ sitting around. Saved up my own cash for a sweet new HDTV. I think (it's so hard to choose) that I've finally settled on the 650.

Anywho... I don't want to blow money on a calibration. I'm fairly smart when it comes to electronics, you know... decent with the basics, but I'm not a technician either.

I want to calibrate it on my own (and use the saved dough to maybe buy a good receiver ).

Anyone have setting's suggestions? There's so many pages here, all good stuff, but a lot to wade through. I would prefer to stay away from the service menue since I've read I can do more harm than good messing with that.

Thanx in advance.

Have you ever used Video Essentials or AVIA? You will get the best user settings by using one of those.

Trying to go beyond that yourself is a recipe for disaster.
post #667 of 2352 Old 09-11-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Have you ever used Video Essentials or AVIA? You will get the best user settings by using one of those.

Trying to go beyond that yourself is a recipe for disaster.

I had heard of those... but, they slipped to the back of my mind when I started reading calibration settings in a hundred different places (CNET, here, etc.).

I actually thought those were more expensive... but not pricey at all really.

Is it better to use one of those? Or simply go with a "professionals" settings I find somewhere online? Or combination of both?
post #668 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Slowly making the plunge towards my 650...

Just received my Belkin surge protector yesterday in the mail (tremendous price on ebay).

Plus, just ordered all the cords I'll ever need from Monoprice (again, awesome savings... I got six entertainment center cords for a fraction of the price just one monster cable would cost).

Can anyone straighten me out on this IR situation. I'm starting to worry, having read some of these posts, that plasma may not be for me. I was thinking plasma because of sports (love football) and movies (BD on PS3). But, I do a little gaming... nothing hardcore for hours on end. But, I enjoy a game of Madden or something else for about an hour at a time.

Is plasma not right for me after all? That being said... I would have the patience to break it in for the 100 or so hours if plasma was still the choice.
post #669 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Slowly making the plunge towards my 650...

Just received my Belkin surge protector yesterday in the mail (tremendous price on ebay).

Plus, just ordered all the cords I'll ever need from Monoprice (again, awesome savings... I got six entertainment center cords for a fraction of the price just one monster cable would cost).

Can anyone straighten me out on this IR situation. I'm starting to worry, having read some of these posts, that plasma may not be for me. I was thinking plasma because of sports (love football) and movies (BD on PS3). But, I do a little gaming... nothing hardcore for hours on end. But, I enjoy a game of Madden or something else for about an hour at a time.

Is plasma not right for me after all? That being said... I would have the

patience to break it in for the 100 or so hours if plasma was still the choice.

I was at the same delima. I went ahead and got the plasma. I do see some image retention but so far , it has gone away with some normal viewing. I set up my onkyo with my speaker and it has a screen where it shows your speakers and test all of them with a mic and that left some ir when it was doing that but as disappeared. I am at about 120hrs. If you are impatient like me, just run the break in dvd when you go to bed and you will have the 100hrs in less than a week.

I to got the cables from monoprice. The HDMI in wall cable is so thick and stiff that I could not get it plugged in the tv without it smooshing against the wall and breaking loose. I even got the low voltage boxes so the wire would have room to go back in the wall but where the hdmi hookup was, was directly on a 2x4. I had to go get a hdmi coupling and a looser cord to make it work. put the coupling on , shoved it back up in the wall and connected the less stiff one.

If you are not wall mounting, then you won't have that problem but I used the low profile sansus wall mount. It came with both, the tilt brackets and low profile. The tilts stick out about 1 and a quarter inch more, probably easier to work with.

Here is my setup after 6 straight days of wiring.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
post #670 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Thanx in advance.

Nice choice of words... don't want to blow money on calibration.

I can tell you this... people who get into calibration to save money over a professional calibration NEVER save money. They find out the meter you need to have for the calibration to be professional quality costs more than a professional calibration. This isn't obvious at the beginning, but to perform a calibration, you have to learn a fair bit about calibration and color and measuring color (mostly possible via AVS resources, test/setup discs, online links, etc.). And the more you learn, the less satisfied you are with the lower cost meters - the more you become aware of their limitations (like not being able to measure darker test patterns and color errors with different display technologies). In short, people who get into calibration to save money over the cost of a professional calibration rarely, perhaps never, achieve that goal. People who get into calibration as something fun (fun in the way someone building a custom car might decide to learn how to weld so they can do more of the work on their own - even if purchasing the equipment and investing the time to learn doesn't save money over using professional welding services) and as a way to increase what they know about video displays KNOWING they are unlikely to save any money over the cost of a professional calibration... those people are the ones who get something (other than frustration) out of learning calibration.

There's also a risk you assume when you get into calibration... if you access the service menu, there's always a chance you could do something that makes the TV unusable and getting it "right" again may not be covered by warranty.

Professionals earn their fees by knowing more than you know and having better tools that you are willing to invest in. For someone at pretty close to the "Zero" point on the calibration skills scale, it's pretty difficult to overcome the advantages professional calibrators have over you - especially when you you limit your budget to ~$250-$400 (the cost of calibration for most panel displays)

If you have skills you can barter (like web site design maybe) or some sort of desirable hard-goods that you are willing to trade, sometimes you can reach a full or partial barter arrangement with a calibrator. It's tough for calibrators to get good at developing their web site and pro web site development is not cheap (for the same reasons pro video calibration isn't cheap... development of skills and cost of tools) so there may be calibrators willing to trade calibration for an upgrade to their web site's look or capabilities. So you may have calibration options other than DIY or cash out of pocket.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #671 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Doug,

Thanks for the comments. I'll take that into consideration. Don't get me wrong, having seen your credentials... I guarantee you could pull an extra XX% from my (future) purchase.

But, this is where I stand:

1. I'm stubborn. Always have been. It's just going to be hard for someone to prove to me that all of this money will make a substantial difference. Are there tools out there I don't want to purchase... yes. But, does paying someone upwards of $1,000 to make my stuff "work" seem justified to me... at least not at this point in my life. Which leads me to...

2. I ain't rich. I just got out of school. I saved my little bottom off to be able to afford this thing (I won't let myself go into debt by credit card, so I had to be able to afford this thing... plus I'm trying to save for a engagement ring at the same time.) Throw in the fact that I was raised to be thrifty and all that money isn't justifiable right now. If I was more "established" right now budget wise... I'd think about it. But, right now... I don't see it happening.

3. I like to think I have a platform of understanding to make this thing work. I graduated with a media degree. Does that make me ISF certified. No. But, I've spent four years in college, plus plenty of time with all those internships and jobs media majors have to do to get into the business, messing with technical equipment which had to be calibrated to look better. Does this make me ISF certified. Certainly not. But, do I have a grasp of whites, blacks, colors, scales, adjustments, etc... I'd like to think so.

I don't want to sound like a punk kid or anything, but I was just hoping to get a little help on the subject. I saw your comments and everyone elses thoughts on here and respected everyones opinions very much. I was simply hoping someone would throw some tips my way before I dropped a huge chunk of money on a tv... and not give me a sales pitch.
post #672 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM

After lurking around these forums for quite awhile, it's time to make my first post.

Just received my PN50A650 yesterday after many months of deciding which model to purchase as my first plasma. Got about 12 hours on it so far (HD, played a bit of PS3, even SD programming is better than i expected). Settings are dialed down a lot while i watch the set during it's break-in period & I've detected NO IR whatsoever. I'm looking forward to throwing in a blu-ray to see what this plasma can really do.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Your information has proven invaluable in helping me decide on purchasing this tv. I know it all comes down to "what looks good to you", but first-hand accounts of others' experience with this set has been a plus.

thanks again all, but now... i must... watch... tv...
post #673 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You make some valid points, phntm...but just putting the outlay of equipment and 'lessons' aside, you do not have the experience. That is a real biggee in calibrating any electronic device (or mechanical for that matter).

It is not just what you know to get the job done, it is also what you know when things don't work out right.

Unless you are totally familiar with the instruments you are using including their limitations, the effect of the environment you are working within, as well as how to document your progress, you can easily open up many opportunities for pitfalls.

For me, I would not venture into it without a pro-calibrators guidance, and/or very clear instructions specific to my display. Considering I am a degreed engineer, who calibrated numerous circuits in the past, some very critical, and have written test procedures, I can tell you unless I planned to do this as a vocation, it is really not worth my time and effort.

But if it is something you really want to do, well, anything is achievable, just be aware of the scope of what you want to do. And don't short-change yourself, any job worth doing is only worth doing well.
post #674 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM

Hi Bkaz08,

Did you get any kind of extended warranty with your TV ? If yes, from where and how much did you pay for that ?
post #675 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 03:17 PM

videoaddikt,

Oh, I completely understand what you are saying. And, just so I'm clear... I would never think about opening the service menu with my degree of knowledge/stupidity. But, I'm dealing with limitations others more established in their careers may not encounter.

Maybe a better way to ask this question would be like this...

I'm about to drop (what I consider) a large chunk of change on a television. Because I don't want to extend myself too far at first because of my age and income situation, I'm not comfortable paying for a professional calibration right now. Shortly down the road, after the money settles from this purchase, I might consider seeking professional help.

I've seen a large number of people posting settings they've found that work fairly well without having paid a professional or accessing the service menu. Does anyone, in a similar situation, have some tips that might help me set up my set until I can afford professional help.
post #676 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

videoaddikt,

I've seen a large number of people posting settings they've found that work fairly well without having paid a professional or accessing the service menu. Does anyone, in a similar situation, have some tips that might help me set up my set until I can afford professional help.

I agree, more info is needed. Not sure if those who attempted and claim did so successfully; HOW was that success measured?
Certainly, there are levels, like using a Cal disk and meeting those criteria to the best possible. Using a Spyder device, with good software, maybe getting you a lot closer to 'ideal'.

It just seems like a lot of effort for just one display, of course the most important display, the one you watch all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you, just making you aware of the challenges you may face. And I suspect you don't want to do a half-way job.

One thing in your favor, most if not all the adjustments may not require going into the SM. Even at that, using the right instrumentation, understanding the dynamics of the adjustments, and all the possible interactions are not spelled out for us.
post #677 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM

This is my summary of calibrator Doug Blackburn's suggestions (plus a few tips of my own). There's a definite reason for each of his suggestions, but I won't go into it for brevity's sake. If you want answers, you can search the A550 thread or search the A650 thread for his posts (User Name: Doug Blackburn).

Use Movie mode. The default Color Tone will be Warm2, which is what you want.

Set Cell Light to 10.

Set Contrast to 84.

Set Brightness to around 53. To nail it down, you need to set it using a test pattern from a setup disc. There are some free alternatives: if you have a Blu-ray player, I suggest using the AVS HD 709 disc; if you have a regular DVD player, I suggest using THX Optimizer that appears on THX-certified DVDs such as the Star Wars series and Pixar animated movies. If you're willing to spend a few bucks, I suggest Avia or Digital Video Essentials (search for them at Amazon)--they are both comprehensive, user-friendly guides.

Set Sharpness to 0.

Set Color to around 46 and Tint to 50/50. To fine-tune these settings, use a test pattern from a setup disc (the TV's Blue-Only Mode will come in handy for this).

All enhancements should be Off: Black Adjust, Dynamic Contrast, Edge Enhancement, and Flesh Tone at 0.

It's a guessing game where the Gamma should be, but it's usually in the range of -2 to +1. Without a meter, all you can do is arbitrarily select what looks good to you in this range.

As for the Color Space and White Balance settings, there's just too much variability from set to set, so it's best to leave it at the defaults rather than using someone else's settings (Auto for Color Space and everything at 25 for the White Balance).

For the Size setting, Just Scan (if it isn't greyed out) will allow the entire image to fit the screen with no overscan. This is ideal for DVD and Blu-ray viewing.

Set Digital NR to Off. You can turn it on to reduce noise while watching, say, a fuzzy TV channel, but keep in mind that some material has grain due to the filmmaker's intent. (This is my suggestion. Doug hasn't said much about this.)

HDMI Black Level is adjustable only when there's a RGB signal present (most sources send out a YCbCr signal or default to it). There's usually no need to change this setting. If you've set the Brightness using a setup disc and it's lower than 42 or higher than 60, try switching this setting and recheck the Brightness with the setup disc (Brightness should fall in the range of 42 to 60).

If Film Mode isn't greyed out, switch it to Auto. (This is my suggestion.)

Please note that all of the above settings are ideal for a darkened room. If your room has some light and the image looks too dark after following these suggestions, try the following steps in order:

- Move the Gamma slider to the right
or
- Increase Contrast to 97 or so
or
- Try both of the above steps
or
- Use Standard mode instead of Movie mode (all of the above settings are for Movie mode, however)

That's it. That's pretty much the best you can do on your own without instrumentation. To set the Gamma, Color Space and White Balance properly, you need a professional calibrator, or you need to purchase and learn how to use a colorimeter.
post #678 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with classical, from all I've seen on here an elsewhere, these settings seem to 'ballpark' this generation of plasmas (550/650), with the final tune of secondary colors and nailing down grayscale and gamma best done by the pros.
post #679 of 2352 Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Add me to the list of new PN58A650 owners. I was agonizing over getting this set or the Panasonic 800 plasma. I kind of went with my gut with this decision and I am supremely happy. As others here have stated, the video this set produces out of the box is amazing. I put it in movie mode, checked the basic picture settings with the DVE blu-ray disc, and was quickly up and running. It exhibits much less light reflection from the screen than I was expecting.

This is my first plasma set. I had been using a Sony SXRD rear projection. While the SXRD delivered a great picture, the plasma, to my eyes, has it beat. I was pleasantly surprised at how much watching a plasma set looks like watching an "old fashioned" CRT. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since they both have a glass screen and both use phosphors to produce the picture. Still, the "look" that the plasma provides is very pleasing to my eyes. Great job, Samsung!
post #680 of 2352 Old 09-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this one.

Any links to a service manual?
post #681 of 2352 Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 AM

I've been reading this thread and a few others for months now, trying to decide between this set and the Panasonic 58 inch 850. Every time I think I've come to a conclusion, I read more somewhere that makes me start doing more research.

I had honestly decided that I'd wait long enough and get the Panny 850. But it turns out, I need a set NOW (my rptv just went bye-bye) and the 850 is hard to find. I've seen the Sammy in the stores and pq looked very good. I like the set overall, including the all the adjustments. But now I read here and there about a "pink line" that shows on white screens.
How widespread is this problem with the pink line? Should it be a real concern? I really hate the idea of getting a new tv and then spending hours trying to get the mfgr to admit to a problem.

I'd appreciate comments.

'course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong
post #682 of 2352 Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5520 View Post

I've been reading this thread and a few others for months now, trying to decide between this set and the Panasonic 58 inch 850. Every time I think I've come to a conclusion, I read more somewhere that makes me start doing more research.

I had honestly decided that I'd wait long enough and get the Panny 850. But it turns out, I need a set NOW (my rptv just went bye-bye) and the 850 is hard to find. I've seen the Sammy in the stores and pq looked very good. I like the set overall, including the all the adjustments. But now I read here and there about a "pink line" that shows on white screens.
How widespread is this problem with the pink line? Should it be a real concern? I really hate the idea of getting a new tv and then spending hours trying to get the mfgr to admit to a problem.

I'd appreciate comments.

Just buy from a store that has a no hassle return policy. That way you can exchange until you get a unit that has a perfectly uniform white screen.

post #683 of 2352 Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 PM

I happened to look at the back of my set today while it was on and I could see 2 small green lights flashing off and on inside the back of the TV. The lights were visible through a perforated cover that is near the center bottom of the back of the set. I presume these lights are supposed to flash and are not signaling some sort of problem, but .... does anyone know anything about the lights?
post #684 of 2352 Old 09-13-2008, 08:44 PM

I've had my 50A650 on the stand on a piece of furniture since I got it a few weeks ago, but I've always planned to wall mount it. I have the mount (PDR 3760), and was looking at the mounting holes on the back of the panel tonight, and noted that they are recessed about 1/4 inch or so. The mount comes with some 1 inch plastic spacers, and I was wondering if I should use these spacers or not.

What have others done who have wall mounted their panel?

I would think that without the spacers a lot of the stress from the vertical bars that mount to the back of the panel would be applied to the case (shroud?) on the back of the panel (not just the screw holes), and I wouldn't think that is a good idea. The owner's manual unfortunately contains very little detail regarding wall mounting, so it's no help.

Also, the directions with the mount suggest laying the panel flat (on the screen) to attach the vertical bars to the back of the panel. Is this safe? I know I read somewhere in the forums that this was highly discouraged, but I don't see any warnings about it in the owner's manual.
post #685 of 2352 Old 09-13-2008, 10:59 PM

I didn't wall mount, but mounted to a floor stand with shelves below - same concept. The mount came with a bunch of different spacers, so I just used the appropriate one - but I also believe that the TV came with some spacers in the bag that also had those ferrule things that no one uses. Seems pretty solid - 3 weeks and it has not fallen off! I laid down a fluffy soft blanket, and with some help gently laid it down on the glass side, then quickly, but firmly installed the mount. Lifted it up, hung it on the stand, no problems. Just plan your workspace, get some help, lay out your tools and parts, and read all the instructions through (twice) before starting. Have fun.
post #686 of 2352 Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbuxKing View Post

I didn't wall mount, but mounted to a floor stand with shelves below - same concept. The mount came with a bunch of different spacers, so I just used the appropriate one - but I also believe that the TV came with some spacers in the bag that also had those ferrule things that no one uses. Seems pretty solid - 3 weeks and it has not fallen off! I laid down a fluffy soft blanket, and with some help gently laid it down on the glass side, then quickly, but firmly installed the mount. Lifted it up, hung it on the stand, no problems. Just plan your workspace, get some help, lay out your tools and parts, and read all the instructions through (twice) before starting. Have fun.

SbuxKing -

Thanks for the advice. There were no spacers included with my TV, and the manual doesn't list any on page 5 of the manual where they show all the accessories. I think I'll go back to the mount manufacturer and see if they can provide me with some smaller spacers. No reason to have it sticking out any further from the wall than necessary.
post #687 of 2352 Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Guys,
After reading all the fantastic posts on this TV I went and checked it out... and bought one. Grabbed the 50" to replace my 4253. Huge improvement!!!! And I got to use the money from the sale of the 4253 to get my center channel, yay. I wall mounted it where my 4253 was mounted, didn't use the spacers and it's rock solid (didn't use spacers on my 4253 either). I'll post some pics later when I don't feel like watching it anymore

- Jon
post #688 of 2352 Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Looking at the description of the 50" 650 on Circuit City, it says the TV is not Widescreen. Help?
post #689 of 2352 Old 09-14-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt54987 View Post

Looking at the description of the 50" 650 on Circuit City, it says the TV is not Widescreen. Help?

Obviously CC made an error, as this set is of course widescreen.
post #690 of 2352 Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Does CC have the PN58A650? I don't see it on the website...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page