Need assistance! I have vertical blue line on my LG plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a LG 42 inch plasma i bought in 2005 and about 1 month ago I got a light blue vertical line about 1 inch wide going from top to bottom. You can see the picture through it but it no longer goes away. I have always had different lines coming and going at times over the last 2 years but now it is stuck there.

Is it possible interference from the powerbar and av cables I have mounted within the wall mount????

Last week this line disappeared for about 2 hours and then reappeared and has stayed on. It is about 6 inches from the right side.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tete76 View Post

I have a LG 42 inch plasma i bought in 1995 and about 1 month ago I got a light blue vertical line about 1 inch wide going from top to bottom. You can see the picture through it but it no longer goes away. I have always had different lines coming and going at times over the last 2 years but now it is stuck there.

Is it possible interference from the powerbar and av cables I have mounted within the wall mount????

Last week this line disappeared for about 2 hours and then reappeared and has stayed on. It is about 6 inches from the right side.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm sorry I don't know much about this problem, but 1995!

You owned that TV for 13 years? I wouldn't be surprised if it is just acting up from old age.
Buying a new 42" would only cost a fraction of what you must have paid in '95.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry! I meant I bought the plasma in 2005 not 1995.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-26-2008, 07:08 PM

I bought my LG DU42PX12XC in 2005 also ... and after getting over the red dots problem (two repairs, under warranty) ... I just started getting a large blue stripe down the right side -- today. It had faded out once in the last hour, but came back within 20-15 minutes and remains now.

This set has been nothing but trouble.

Does anyone know what a repair might cost? Is this set worth repairing or should I just bit the bullet and but something new that might actually last more than a year or two before having problems?
post #5 of 24 Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM

so now we are alternating between no line, blue line only and blue and red line ... this TV needs help, any advice on how to fix it?
post #6 of 24 Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM

I have the same problem. LG plasma 42 inch, about 4 years old. Blue vertical line, sometimes fading, sometimes disapearing, but never for long.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-02-2008, 02:00 PM

So I'm wondering what the cost to fix this problem would be (approx.) and if I would be better off just buying a new set instead ???

Dang, ... and this set is just one problem after another. It looks great when its working. But now we have the fading blue strip and the mostly always there red stripe right next to it. Sometimes the red strip fades a bit also, but it seems to be there all the time ...
post #8 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM

Here is what mine is doing lately.

It has both a blue line and a red line. Sometimes you one or both of them and they are side by side on the right side of the SD screen border.

Sometimes they flicker in an out.

Most of the time we have both lines and they are pretty well solid.

Here is what it was doing tonight, just the red line and it was flickering in and out.

I would sure appreciate any help or info on this problem I can get. I can't afford to get a new TV, but if there is a way to fix this, I'd be interested, as its very annoying.

post #9 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 401
No repair tech here, but it is either a bad video board or the screen is shot. Video board is abour $500. Bad screen, time to buy a new set

You guys get an extended warranty?
post #10 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Thanks,

Unfortunately, no extended warranty.

I will never buy another LG again -- total crap IMHO.

It appears that lots of folks have the same problem, everywhere I look there are recent posts of this problem, so its something going bad on a lot of them.
This post seems to indicate a part costing around $200 ... but I've also seen that it could be other things as well.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t147104...lasma_red_line

They mention that the vertical bars are usually related to this $200 part# (discontinued)
6871QCH038A

I guess I'm going to live with it and just buy a new set in the next year.

By the time I spend $500 to get this thing repaired, its only going to last me maybe 1-2 years.

After having it repaired under warranty twice for red dots problems ... now this is the final straw for this set, I suppose. What the most reliable brand for plasma and/or lcd ? Certainly its not LG.

Is plasma or LCD better for a room with a lot of windows (and light) ?

Thanks,
Scott
post #11 of 24 Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
LCD with a matte finish screen is what I would suggest in a room with a lot of windows. Look into the Sony S4100 line. They handle blur much better than Samsungs A450 line. MSRP for say a 46" is $1599.99 I believe.

LG definitely had loads of issues as far as quality and CS is concerned, but from my undertsanding, they have really turned it around this year, and producing much higher quality panels. I haven't encountered enough people with actual experience to say for sure if this in fact holds water, but the few I have spoken to have been happy. Only time will tell.

In the end, all I can say is, it's a Zenith?
post #12 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks, well it died yesterday ... the entire video onscreen started shuttering on/off ... then finally stopped working. You can get it to work after being turned off ... but its mostly off and on occasional on for a few seconds or minutes at a time.

For $2600 and 3 repair visits in 2 years ... this LG was junk, can never go back to brand again.

Now we need to buy a TV soon.

What do you think of the panasonic TH-50PX80U (720p biggest con for me) 50" (fits me space perfectly) ... or maybe a 47" visio from sams (VO47L) w/1080P LCD . Those are my budget choices ... any comments on which of these would be best, or nominate another for me.

THanks,
Scott
post #13 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Vizio is worse than LG. Stick with the Panasonic. I would call LG and press them to repair or replace your unit, sounds like that unit was a lemon from the start. If you are nice and stern sometimes good things happen. ( I would not give up, personally.) If they happen to swap your set with a new one..........sell it fast and buy a panasonic
post #14 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 04:25 PM

I do want to complain and do that ... but the set was bought in 2005 and well beyond the original 12 month warranty period. I do think a $2600 set should last 10 years and not 2.5 or 3 years! But do I just argue that its been a lemon from the start? The other problem is that I'm about to leave on an extended trip and my wife will have no TV if I don't replace it ASAP ... so kind of bind that way.

I will avoid visio then ... whats killing me now is that I was going to buy a panny the first time, but then got suckered by the salesman on the LG ... and really didn't make a smart choice despite knowing better.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 PM

Pioneer and Panasonic are the only PDP manufacturers i would consider buying from

my $0.02
post #16 of 24 Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 PM

I bought a new Panasonic PX80U and installed it today. Fits my space perfectly. The specs didn't give the height incl. stand, so I ended up having to cut my table legs by 1/2" to get it to fit. Now it looks like I built the house for this TV.

I'm thinking of getting a 5yr in-home warranty from clevelandplasma. Just need details on how to go about it.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reizah View Post

Pioneer and Panasonic are the only PDP manufacturers i would consider buying from

my $0.02

Pioneer definitely. I had a $3,500 Mitsubishi DLP it was shot within 6 months after the warranty expired. I did not purchase an extended warranty. They wanted to charge me $1,000 to replace the light engine, with only 90 day guarantee. No go. I went with Pioneer and bought an extended warranty. I know a lot of folks think extended warranties are a rip off but with expensive toys I have learned my lesson.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #18 of 24 Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM

So now that I have a replacement TV in place, I'm wondering what to do with this broken LG.

(1) Have a tech quote me a repair price ?

(2) Sell in on craigs for whatever I can get

(3) Part out the boards on ebay.

(4) Try to repair myself by replacing the control board,
with part # 6871QCH038C, which is the latest replacement
part for orig part # 6871QCH038A

I came across a service training manual last night and it showed
them doing something like hooking up a bios programmer to the
controller. So could I just replace that board, or would I also need to
flash something as well on it? I've read of folks replacing this board
for the vertical lines problem that eventually leads to no picture problem ...
but nobody has said explicitly that it solved the problem for sure. One guy
said it made it better but he still had lines.

Looking at the prices of these boards, I would be tempted to part them out
at 1/2 to 3/4 retail on ebay ... as I could get around $100 + per board.

Advice, comment appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
post #19 of 24 Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 AM

Does anyone know if I can just replace the control board on the LG plasma, or does the control board require BIOS flashing or anything else?

This would be a direct replacement part for the LG from tristatemodule,
part # 6871QCH060Q .

I have sometimes seen folks also replacing the y and z boards, but I think the control board is the one that is always mentioned when dealing with vertical lines the eventually lead to no picture at all (sound only). It can actually run fine (albeit with a red and blue vertical stripes on the right side) for 5 minutes or so (after resting), but thats it ... it then flickers, then stops the picture completely eventually.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM

I've ordered a new control board, part number already mentioned above. I'm thinking to try that first ... and if that doesn't fix it, then maybe try the y and z boards as well, since those are the other two boards in the LG repair kit that seems so common.

Or I'll give up on this and just part it out on ebay.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM

Our LG plasma which is just over 3 years old has a blue stripe running down one side of the screen. When we phoned LG they didn't want to know, in fact they were quite rude. We asked how long the life of a plasma is and they refused to answer, in effect saying it just bad luck! We sent it to an LG technician who quoted us $245 to change the diodes. Then they phoned and said they need to order them in and it will cost $380. Ok I said, go ahead. 6 weeks later I called to find out where it is and they informed me that they had replaced the monitor and it was going to cost me $1000.00!!!!! I told them to put the old monitor back in and return it asap. And you know what? When it cam back the blue line had gone (but only for a couple of hours.) Now we have a blue line AND a red line, and still no response from LG!! I will never buy a product from LG again as you can't get any customer service. It is ridiculous that a $5000.00 TV lasts only 3 years and 8 months! LG - you ****!
post #22 of 24 Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Once you get the blue AND red lines ... the TV is on its last legs before dieing. Mine did the same thing. I'm thinking about installing the $55 control board I ordered. I would say it'll be a miracle if it fixes it. tristate module had great prices, but it arrived beaten up ... not very reassuring.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM

I have a similiar vertical blue stripe on my new 55" Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30‚Äč plasma shipped yesterday. Submitted a defect ticket with Beach Camera through Amazon. Will see how they handle this.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Replying for future reference. Bought this same model tv for $30 with the same issue. They are known for having faulty logic control boards. Replaced the board in mine with a reconditioned one and it has a great picture!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page