The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjones View Post

No not worried about the tuner as I've read that they can accept 50Hz PAL signals no problem. When he comes back to the UK he can just feed 50Hz HDMI from a STB.

If they can't accept 240V though he's screwed.

Well, the plug clearly isn't the same although I'm sure you knew that...he'll need an adaptor. I don't think there's any way you can send 240V into the power supply. Or did someone tell you you can?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM

Yes Roman, Value Electronics and Invision all confirmed that the power supplies are 120V - 240V switchable. In which case all that would be required is a UK power lead.

Edit: Robert from VE didn't confirm 100% but he thought they would support 240V.
post #273 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

So I assume that this is a screen of the Optimum mode and what you see on the screen is information only and not adjustable correct?

Also, have you found any color temp settings in the User Menu?

Thanks

You are correct xb1032. In Optimum mode you cannot
adjust any of the picture settings. And no, I have not yet found
a way to change the color temp settings. I hope there
is a way in the service menu, but I cannot get into it.
The way to get into the service menu in the 8g is not
working for me on the 9g. So if anyone finds out how to,
please post it. thanks
post #274 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Hello folks,
So I purchased the 6020 yesterday and it is shipping out today. Since this is my first plasma purchase (first HDTV for that matter), i have a couple of questions and i need your help.

1. I paid for White-Glove shipping. Will the installers connect the TV to the Dvd player when the verify everything is working or do they just typically turn on the TV and give it a perfunctory check?

2. Run the break-in DVD for at least 100 hrs. Is this enough or should run it for 150-200hrs? More importantly what settings should I turn the TV to before running the break-in DVD?

3. Purchase a HDMI cable for my comcast HD cable box. I plan to purchase from Monoprice.com.

4. I don't have a blue ray player as yet. Is the PS3 a decent blue ray player? Does it have HDMI 1.3? Is there any other blue ray player (200-300$) that is decent and that you would recommend instead of the PS3? I am not a big gamer and I have the Xbox already.

5. I plan to use a regular surge protector. I vaguely remember reading in some thread about some other type of special surge protector. Can anybody shed some light on this please?

6. I plan to buy the Harmony 720 universal remote from Costco. Has this remote been updated with the controls for the 6020 yet?

Thanks for help..
post #275 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2005 View Post

You are correct xb1032. In Optimum mode you cannot
adjust any of the picture settings. And no, I have not yet found
a way to change the color temp settings
. I hope there
is a way in the service menu, but I cannot get into it.
The way to get into the service menu in the 8g is not
working for me on the 9g. So if anyone finds out how to,
please post it. thanks

Are you saying you can't find were to change Color Temp. from
low to mid to high?

......or are you talking about changing the RGB lows and highs?

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #276 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Are you saying you can't find were to change Color Temp. from
low to mid to high?

......or are you talking about changing the RGB lows and highs?

I am talking about Color Temp. from low, mid, high. Just look at the pictures I took of the menu. It is not in the manual either.
post #277 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgsxr View Post

Just the camera's flash messing with the picture. There isn't an issue with the port.
-kkgsxr

Are you sure? That HDMI Port doesn't look like the flash is distorting it's look. Have you tried plugging an HDMI Cable into it?
post #278 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccgc View Post

Hello folks,
So I purchased the 6020 yesterday and it is shipping out today. Since this is my first plasma purchase (first HDTV for that matter), i have a couple of questions and i need your help.

1. I paid for White-Glove shipping. Will the installers connect the TV to the Dvd player when the verify everything is working or do they just typically turn on the TV and give it a perfunctory check?

2. Run the break-in DVD for at least 100 hrs. Is this enough or should run it for 150-200hrs? More importantly what settings should I turn the TV to before running the break-in DVD?

3. Purchase a HDMI cable for my comcast HD cable box. I plan to purchase from Monoprice.com.

4. I don't have a blue ray player as yet. Is the PS3 a decent blue ray player? Does it have HDMI 1.3? Is there any other blue ray player (200-300$) that is decent and that you would recommend instead of the PS3? I am not a big gamer and I have the Xbox already.

5. I plan to use a regular surge protector. I vaguely remember reading in some thread about some other type of special surge protector. Can anybody shed some light on this please?

6. I plan to buy the Harmony 720 universal remote from Costco. Has this remote been updated with the controls for the 6020 yet?

Thanks for help..

1. I think they'll just move the TV into your house and place it wherever you want. They don't do any home theater setup.

2. Use the break-in settings for the 8G Kuros.

3. Don't purchase an HDMI cable. I made the same mistake. Comcast gives you a crappy Motorola STB that uses a DVI -> HDMI cable for video, but if you want audio, you need phono connectors (analog) or an optical cable (digital). They'll give you the necessary cables to get you going (minus the optical cable). If you don't request the DVI -> HDMI cable, they'll give you component cables instead.

4. The PS3 is the most featured-pack Blu-ray player and also the cheapest. If you open a line of credit with Sony, they'll even knock $100 off your purchase, effectively making it $299 new. I'm not sure if they're still running that deal however.

5. Can't help you there. I have a whole-house surge protector.

6. I believe Pioneer probably uses the same IR commands between similar television models. If it has commands for the 8G, then it should most likely work with the 9G. On top of that, if it doesn't know them, you can have the Harmony learn the commands from the remote that came with your Kuro.

Hope that helps.
post #279 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

4. The PS3 is the most featured-pack Blu-ray player and also the cheapest. If you open a line of credit with Sony, they'll even knock $100 off your purchase, effectively making it $299 new. I'm not sure if they're still running that deal however.

I think Walmart has a deal currently to give you a $100 gift card if you buy any blu-ray player including the PS3.

The best thing is the amount of processing power in the PS3 and the strong Sony support which means it will always continue to have the latest and greatest blu-ray features added to it via upgrades. I do hope they eventually add color interpolation up to 12 bits like on that new Pioneer player that is coming out.
post #280 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

in my opinion if you can't change the color temp then you are in for a somewhat bad experience with the 5020 and 6020 - not being able to change the gamma is a minor problem, but not being able to change the color temp is a major problem. Its like having a receiver with out tone controls.

I'm glad i waited to find this out (unless there is a way to change it in the service menu - which i doubt).

Quote:

I am talking about Color Temp. from low, mid, high. Just look at the pictures I took of the menu. It is not in the manual either.

post #281 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
gm1

tn2005
have you tried switching the picture mode from Standard to Movie or Performance to see if one of those modes lets you change the color temp manually from low,mid,high
post #282 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm1 View Post

tn2005
have you tried switching the picture mode from Standard to Movie or Performance to see if one of those modes lets you change the color temp manually from low,mid,high

Yes I have. Dynamic and Optimum mode will not allow any changes to the picture setting while the other modes will allow it, but there still is no option for color temp. I do notice that each mode has a different tint so I am guessing that each mode has it's own color temp. Just a guess though. I really can't tell because I am breaking the tv in right now and I wont be watching anything until next tuesday.
post #283 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

3. Don't purchase an HDMI cable. I made the same mistake. Comcast gives you a crappy Motorola STB that uses a DVI -> HDMI cable for video, but if you want audio, you need phono connectors (analog) or an optical cable (digital). They'll give you the necessary cables to get you going (minus the optical cable). If you don't request the DVI -> HDMI cable, they'll give you component cables instead.

Hope that helps.

Not necessarily. Many Comcast areas use SA8300HD boxes which are natively HDMI.
post #284 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

I think the more recent Motorola's have HDMI too. Guess Chuck had a really old box or something.

Anyway the guy who originally asked can just look on the back of his box and see what connectors he has. If his box doesn't have HDMI I think he can ask Comcast to swap it for one that does for free.
post #285 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:

1. I think they'll just move the TV into your house and place it wherever you want. They don't do any home theater setup.

2. Use the break-in settings for the 8G Kuros.

5. Can't help you there. I have a whole-house surge protector.

6. I believe Pioneer probably uses the same IR commands between similar television models. If it has commands for the 8G, then it should most likely work with the 9G. On top of that, if it doesn't know them, you can have the Harmony learn the commands from the remote that came with your Kuro.

Hope that helps.

Just thought I would add a thing or 2 to Chuckz's comments.

1. All they have to do is bring it into your house, unpack it, and get you to sign a release. You can quickly set it up, and plug-in your DVD/Blu-Ray Player or cable-box to make sure it works, they have to let you do that. Just tell them you won't sign anything until you're sure it works. Often they will help you set it up (especially if you offer them a tip), but they don't have to.

3. I don't know anything about comcast, but you will need an HDMI cable for your PS3 (which I think is the best blu-ray player under $500). I think mine came with a proprietary component cable, and I replaced it with a standard HDMI cable. I would recommend monoprice, and if you need an optical cable for your HD receiver you can grab one of those while you're at it.

4. Yes the PS3 supports HDMI 1.3

5. I believe you are alluding to a line-conditioner. This is a VERY touchy subject, and I really don't want to lead this thread off-topic, or start a massive debate, so I'll be brief.

Most people feel that line conditioners are not necessary, unless you meet some of the following criteria (even then some people would say they are not necessary):

-You notice excessive noise in your picture, even when you know the source is good,
-You know you have bad wiring where you live, or have a lot or black-outs
-You're area uses hydro electricity which sometimes doesn't feed quite as much power
-You just really want to be on the safe side

If you meet one or more of these criteria you may want to consider a line conditioner like the Belkin PureAV AP3080010. This unit is also a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), and will give you about 15min (they claim 40min) of power for your home-theater after an outage. This will give you time to power everything down, or even finish watching a program.

If you just want a surge protector (which is enough from most people), I would recommend a Belkin PureAV Surge Suppressor. You can find the cheaper ones for like $20 on the net. They generally have good EMI/RFI reduction, and I would look for one that has a minimum of 2500 joules protection.

Hope that helps,

-Coggs
post #286 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorwin View Post

Not necessarily. Many Comcast areas use SA8300HD boxes which are natively HDMI.

Yes, i think my comcast box supports HDMI.
post #287 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post

in my opinion if you can't change the color temp then you are in for a somewhat bad experience with the 5020 and 6020 - not being able to change the gamma is a minor problem, but not being able to change the color temp is a major problem. Its like having a receiver with out tone controls.

I'm glad i waited to find this out (unless there is a way to change it in the service menu - which i doubt).

If you can adjust rgb in the sm i don't see a problem.
post #288 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm1 View Post

tn2005

I have had my 6020 since yesterday....

Both my friend (owner of a 5080) and I searched for a way to change the color temp.
It seems at this time to us that there is no way of doing so.
I knew that some settings will be removed from the 6020 but color temp
was a real shock!!

With that said though,, After a few minor tweaks in standard. Skin tones are dead on!!
I find That the plus side to some of the settings being removed
is it is a lot easier on my O.C.D !! LOL

PQ is proving to be Amazing!!!!
post #289 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Wouldn't that depend on if the preset temp is D65?

I can see a need for a warmer temp if you watch a lot of Black and White movies.

I have read before that old B&W movies had a different color temp standard. Do you know what temp that standard was?

Do you still need warmer color temps for current B&W movies?

And when you are talking about color temps, are you talking about the Kelvin number scale...higher numbers being bluer....lower numbers being reder?

Or on how it looks to the eye...warmer being reder, cooler being bluer?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #290 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coggs View Post

5. I believe you are alluding to a line-conditioner. This is a VERY touchy subject, and I really don't want to lead this thread off-topic, or start a massive debate, so I'll be brief.

Most people feel that line conditioners are not necessary, unless you meet some of the following criteria (even then some people would say they are not necessary):

-You notice excessive noise in your picture, even when you know the source is good,
-You know you have bad wiring where you live, or have a lot or black-outs
-You're area uses hydro electricity which sometimes doesn't feed quite as much power
-You just really want to be on the safe side

If you meet one or more of these criteria you may want to consider a line conditioner like the Belkin PureAV AP3080010. This unit is also a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply), and will give you about 15min (they claim 40min) of power for your home-theater after an outage. This will give you time to power everything down, or even finish watching a program.

If you just want a surge protector (which is enough from most people), I would recommend a Belkin PureAV Surge Suppressor. You can find the cheaper ones for like $20 on the net. They generally have good EMI/RFI reduction, and I would look for one that has a minimum of 2500 joules protection.

-Coggs

Thanks for the info Coggs. I think i'll stick with a regular surge suppressor since i have none of the concerns/issues you describe above.
post #291 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow!

That is a little shocking.

Maybe the non-elites are calibrated close to D65 from the factory
and no color temp. change is necessary. And if you want a perfect
calibration the RGB controls in the service menu will get you there.

Regardless, it sounds like they really stripped the non-elites to a
minimum amount of user controls which isn't necessarily a bad thing
especially if Pioneer set these panels for optimum performance from
the factory.

I can't wait to hear what D-Nice has to say once he gets his
hands on one.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #292 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercc View Post

The 0.002 ftL black level is very impressive and is a very big technical achievement in its own right.

really---wouldn't a dark filter on a worse TV achieve a similar black level? Is it not a matter of dynamic range? Subtracting from all brightness should not be so hard...
post #293 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I have read before that old B&W movies had a different color temp standard. Do you know what temp that standard was?

Do you still need warmer color temps for current B&W movies?

And when you are talking about color temps, are you talking about the Kelvin number scale...higher numbers being bluer....lower numbers being reder?

Or on how it looks to the eye...warmer being reder, cooler being bluer?

D55 = 5500K
post #294 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, my box is not that old. I got my HD box in October 2006, but I believe Motorola started selling them in 2005. Motorola has new boxes, but I don't know if or when Comcast will start using them. I'd prefer to use an HDMI cable instead of DVI -> HDMI like I am now. And yes I am aware of the Scientific Atlanta boxes. The box you get depends on where you live. In Pittsburgh, everyone, to my knowledge, gets the Motorola ones.
post #295 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 02:00 PM
gm1

Chuck Z
I live in Detroit and the motorola boxes here have HDMI
post #296 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

If you can chage the RGB separately for each mode. i.e. standard, movie, user ect. If not, then this is a deal breaker, as you would have to change your SM every time you change picture modes.

Mike
post #297 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

if it is like my pio, then it is a problem because you can get 6500k for lets say the mid temp - high and low temps will not be 6500k (not even close) - thus lets say that movie mode on the 20s uses Low (temp would be about 5500 or 6000k) - - you are not going to get 6500k because you have set 6500k for mid.

lets say the new sports uses high - you then will have something like 7500K or 8500k

on my pio i use user (hdmi 4) and movie (hdmi 5 and great for blu-ray) but i use both with mid (which has been calibrated to 6500k) - on the new tv's i would be out of luck. I suppose i could use standard or what ever uses the temp set for 6500k - but it is limiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

post #298 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

i agree. i think pio made a mistake - this is not a 999.95 tv - this is a pretty expensive tv that could have had a standard menu and an advanced menu.

i understand pioneer trying to differentiate their lines - but people that want a no frills tv are not going to buy a pio.

i hope I'm wrong - maybe dnice will say that if you press the xyz button on the remote - you can change the temp or maybe he will have a work around.

or maybe pio knows best (big brother) and i should just shut up and follow them blindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxx View Post

If you can change the RGB separately for each mode. i.e. standard, movie, user etc. If not, then this is a deal breaker, as you would have to change your SM every time you change picture modes.

post #299 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

really---wouldn't a dark filter on a worse TV achieve a similar black level? Is it not a matter of dynamic range? Subtracting from all brightness should not be so hard...

No. If it was this simple every manufactuer would be doing it. All that would do is dim the display without increasing contrast at all. You could achieve the same thing by dialing back the brightness control (or the opposite by increasing it). The Kuro's cells have a much lower discharge of light when displaying black, period. Also means they can recreate a much larger range of colors, hence the higher contrast. The darker filter does help with daytime black levels though. If the other manufacters still cannot catch the top-reviewed PQ of last generation in this generation than the tech is pretty sound (and proprietary).
post #300 of 15006 Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 117
In regards to Comcast, I have the DVI box. Took it in for an HDMI and they told me I had to upgrade my cable package to get it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page