The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

D55 = 5500K

Thanks ChuckZ. So 5500K (Kelvin) was the color temperature standard for old B&W movies. So viewing them on today's equipment at 6500K would probably make these movies look too blue?

Do you know when B&W movies switched from 5500K to 6500K?

For example, should I watch the "Last Picture Show" (1971) with a setting of 5500K or 6500K?

To make this post on-topic, I'm afraid that the new Pioneer panels don't allow for a separate color temp if you want to quickly adjust for old and new B&W movies.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercc View Post

The darker filter does help with daytime black levels though.

During the daytime because of the extra light in the room, I find myself bumping up the brightness a few notches to make it easier to see low level shadow detail.

At night I can turn the brightness back down because it does not have to compete with any other light in the room.

So when you say that the "darker filter does help with daytime black levels" do you mean that the filter helps to brighten dark areas during the day with more light in the room?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #303 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought the filter was there to reduce reflection from dayligth and indoor lamps.

With the comming G10, is it really necessary to have any filter on the glass at all? My thought is that a super clear glass rather would enhance the quality of blacks on the G10...!
post #304 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I meant that the filter makes the glass appear darker when hit with ambient light compared to a lighter filter. High amounts of ambient light usually raises plasma black levels significantly because of this. A viewer will actually notice the darker glass during black scenes during the day. As you stated it is smart to bump up the brightness during the day to avoid losing too much detail. The filter keeps the blacks decent when you do this.

The filter seems to work well in conjuction with anti-glare coating as well to absorb more ambient light compared to other plasmas, which is likely another reason for its inclusion.
post #305 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM

There's a 6020 in the house! And it's stuck in it's box until I can find someone to install it. Anyone know a decent installer in Charlotte, NC?
post #306 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

In regards to Comcast, I have the DVI box. Took it in for an HDMI and they told me I had to upgrade my cable package to get it.

Upgrade how? They only way you'd have it in the first place is if you have HD service. What more do they want you to upgrade to? I already have HBO and Starz as well.
post #307 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Thanks ChuckZ. So 5500K (Kelvin) was the color temperature standard for old B&W movies. So viewing them on today's equipment at 6500K would probably make these movies look too blue?

Do you know when B&W movies switched from 5500K to 6500K?

For example, should I watch the "Last Picture Show" (1971) with a setting of 5500K or 6500K?

To make this post on-topic, I'm afraid that the new Pioneer panels don't allow for a separate color temp if you want to quickly adjust for old and new B&W movies.

To be honest, I wouldn't be worried about D55 versus D65 for B&W movies. Unless you have separate equipment for both settings, just leave it in D65 and be happy.

I don't know when they switched over to the D65 standard. One thing you should consider, is that when they do B&W remasters, they might do color correction, etc. at D65 now.
post #308 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe View Post

There's a 6020 in the house! And it's stuck in it's box until I can find someone to install it. Anyone know a decent installer in Charlotte, NC?

me and my dad are going to mount my 60 inch. we have never done it before, but it cant be that hard.
post #309 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 05:31 PM

You have to upgrade to a dvr box to get a hdmi with comcast, standard hd boxes don't have hdmi, Just componet and dvi
post #310 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtp78 View Post

You have to upgrade to a dvr box to get a hdmi with comcast, standard hd boxes don't have hdmi, Just componet and dvi

That's what I thought.

I don't want their junky DVR service.
post #311 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Unfortunately, in looking at the pdf docs on the Elite vs non-Elite, the non-Elite makes no mention of color temperature adjustments whereas the Elite pdf does. It really is kind of surprising.
post #312 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post

me and my dad are going to mount my 60 inch. we have never done it before, but it cant be that hard.

Let's just say there is more than 1 woman participating in this thread.
post #313 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

i specifically asked dnice about it a while back and he specifically said that the non-elites have color temp settings - he must have received incorrect info from his contacts at pio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Unfortunately, in looking at the pdf docs on the Elite vs non-Elite, the non-Elite makes no mention of color temperature adjustments whereas the Elite pdf does. It really is kind of surprising.

post #314 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you guys and gals tell me which wall mount you went with? I am concerned going with a low profile mount as I saw pics of the rear panel. I wonder if all the cables will clear the panel and wall if a low profile wall mount is used?
post #315 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Does anyone know when the 5020's will start shipping?
post #316 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeman View Post

Does anyone know when the 5020's will start shipping?

They already have.
post #317 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 07:30 PM

My understanding is that 5020FDs will begin shipping tomorrow or by Friday, in very limited supply.

-Robert
post #318 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus330I View Post

Can you guys and gals tell me which wall mount you went with? I am concerned going with a low profile mount as I saw pics of the rear panel. I wonder if all the cables will clear the panel and wall if a low profile wall mount is used?

It sounds like there is a 1.5" recess on the back of the panel where the cable inputs are, so even a mount that sits another 1.5" out from the wall should be fine for fitting the cables. The problem is that Pio recommends that their displays have 4" of clearance on all sides. I think a mount like the Peerless ST670 that sticks our 3" from the wall might be a safer bet. It's also rated for 250lb, and is a 3-stud model (instead of 2 like most mounts) so it should definitely hold the weight for a very long time.

-Coggs
post #319 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM

Maximus,

I went with the following Sanus mount for my 6010. It is incredibly well built , and has a couple of different mounting options.

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...delCode/VMPL3/

"Why reasonable people go stark raving mad whenever anything involving a negro comes up, is something I don't pretend to understand." Harper Lee
post #320 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

They already have.

I have not seen it. Should be soon though.
post #321 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 PM

The trucking company delivered my 6020 this afternoon (took off day of work). I went out to help the driver bring my set in and when he raised the truck door I saw the box laying flat on a pallet in the middle of the truck I knew that couldn't be good, but crossed my heart and we brought it into the house. I immediately pulled the top box off and tore away the protective covering from the glass panel. There I saw what was once a beautiful 60 inch plasma panel with several large cracks running halfway across the display Needless to say I was and still am disappointed. I really think some of these trucking companies could care less if your stuff arrives in one piece or not. These guys sure didn't. I called Chris at Cleavland Plasma and told him what had happened. He said they would send another one out right away. (thanks Chris). I just hope they still have some to send now and I don't have to wait for another allocation. Also hope the next one arrives undamaged.
post #322 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM

Liked: 11
It happens Very rarely. Chris will take care of you.
post #323 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysixpony View Post

The trucking company delivered my 6020 this afternoon (took off day of work). I went out to help the driver bring my set in and when he raised the truck door I saw the box laying flat on a pallet in the middle of the truck I knew that couldn't be good, but crossed my heart and we brought it into the house. I immediately pulled the top box off and tore away the protective covering from the glass panel. There I saw what was once a beautiful 60 inch plasma panel with several large cracks running halfway across the display Needless to say I was and still am disappointed. I really think some of these trucking companies could care less if your stuff arrives in one piece or not. These guys sure didn't. I called Chris at Cleavland Plasma and told him what had happened. He said they would send another one out right away. (thanks Chris). I just hope they still have some to send now and I don't have to wait for another allocation. Also hope the next one arrives undamaged.

That is awful! You should have shattered what was left of the panel over the truck drivers head haha j/k Poor Kuro. RIP We barely knew thee
post #324 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:

RIP dead Kuro...u will be missed
post #325 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer28 View Post

Maximus,

I went with the following Sanus mount for my 6010. It is incredibly well built , and has a couple of different mounting options.

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...delCode/VMPL3/

The Sanus looks nice. Does anyone know for sure if it will fit the 6020?
post #326 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

My understanding is that 5020FDs will begin shipping tomorrow or by Friday, in very limited supply.

-Robert

Robert,

A question if I may .... at this point it seems like we're hearing more about (the concerns with lack of color temp adjustment) ...... than we are hearing about what the actual picture on the new 20s looks like. With your experience with last years Kuro, IS there a reason to even be concerned about this issue or has Pio nailed the hard set temps on this years models? I understand this would be a little predicated on ones personal preferences, but for myself ... I currently have an older gen Panny and i've always set it to 'Normal' for my taste, not really likeing 'warm' or 'cool' for any viewing. So, for me, i quess i'm thinking that if Pio has hard set the color temp to a setting that is somewhere in the middle .... that should be a go for me
post #327 of 15008 Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

Robert,

A question if I may .... at this point it seems like we're hearing more about (the concerns with lack of color temp adjustment) ...... than we are hearing about what the actual picture on the new 20s looks like. With your experience with last years Kuro, IS there a reason to even be concerned about this issue or has Pio nailed the hard set temps on this years models? I understand this would be a little predicated on ones personal preferences, but for myself ... I currently have an older gen Panny and i've always set it to 'Normal' for my taste, not really likeing 'warm' or 'cool' for any viewing. So, for me, i quess i'm thinking that if Pio has hard set the color temp to a setting that is somewhere in the middle .... that should be a go for me

I think we're sharing a brain. I'm just waiting for D-Nice's findings to get an actual idea of how the 6020 measures up to last year's panels(both Elite and non-Elite).
post #328 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i think that is why i am waiting for amazon to start carrying these. their delivery service is spot on. and they give you a 30 day price match garentee.
post #329 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

Robert,

Perhaps it's a per-mode option for colour temp (like the other settings). I
like to get whiter whites once in a while (eg: hockey games) so I up the
colour temp from time to time. I'm kinda disappointed that this isn't quite
an option, but at the same time, I usually only use high colour temp in standard
mode anyhow. Standard seems to be the brightest, so perhaps Pioneer
decided to keep high colour temp in that mode. It might not be much of an
issue at all depending on how Pioneer sets the modes.
post #330 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received my LX6090 2 days ago. Out of the box I disabled all picture enhancement options (ACL, DRE, etc.), set other picture options to neutral, and tested it with a blu-ray disc (I Am Legend) in a completely darkened room. The contrast and absolute black level are certainly at a new level compared to the 8g Kuro's, which I have seen in similar conditions.

When the set displays just a black image, you can still see some luminance if you allow your eyes to adjust. However, when there is any picture on screen my eyes experience the black areas as completely black. The contrast is simply amazing in a darkened room. Daytime TV is a different story though, but that is not unexpected and not really an issue to me.

Overall image quality is stunning when watching blu-ray. It is as perfect as we have come to expect from 8g Kuro, with the better contrast and black levels for an even greater experience.

There is some plasma buzzing, but it quickly dissolves into the sound of the movie, and into your subconscious.

Also amazing is the SD PAL image quality. From a 6 ft viewing distance is is still watchable. I had not expected that on a 60" display.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page