The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 15008 Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
make sure your ready to inspect it when it arrives. it is very easy to do and only takes a few extra minutes of their time. be polite, offer them a water or soda and a small tip and they shouldnt have a problem waiting while you inspecting it.

it's called a dolly.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

make sure your ready to inspect it when it arrives. it is very easy to do and only takes a few extra minutes of their time. be polite, offer them a water or soda and a small tip and they shouldnt have a problem waiting while you inspecting it.

it's called a dolly.

Doesn't sound like the delivery guys around here, they run like chickens with their heads cut off and will laugh at you if you offer them stuff like that "Drinks? We don't have time!" They'll take your tip though.. and run out the door with it. Maybe they're not all like this.. but with most purchases I've made I've had to fight with them to get 5 minutes of their time. Yes be polite but remember it's YOUR money and it's THEIR job to let you check things.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #3603 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been wondering this for a while now, maybe some here will know. Can you switch the non-elite stand for an elite stand with the 5020/6020? I find the stand that comes with it a bit cheap looking and since I don't use the speakers the chicken legs get on my nerves. Anyone tried this?

post #3604 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

it's called a dolly.

Correct and if they are giving you a hard time inspecting the unit, call your dealer Yes if its cracked refuse it.
post #3605 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

I've been wondering this for a while now, maybe some here will know. Can you switch the non-elite stand for an elite stand with the 5020/6020? I find the stand that comes with it a bit cheap looking and since I don't use the speakers the chicken legs get on my nerves. Anyone tried this?

You sure can. I did with my 6020 and it looks great. Here's the link to the part from Pioneer. You'll need to order just these legs and you'll need two of them.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=AXY1222

charlie
post #3606 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

You sure can. I did with my 6020 and it looks great. Here's the link to the part from Pioneer. You'll need to order just these legs and you'll need two of them.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=AXY1222

Thanks a lot that site was exactly what I was looking for.

post #3607 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
is their a problem if the tv is put on a dolly? maybe im being too paranoid but i woud perfer to handle the tv like it should be "2 people" by hand handles so that way i dont put it facing down/vertically.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #3608 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM

My 6020 has been spontaneously shutting itself off lately. It doesn't seem to be related in any way to what I'm watching; it just turns itself off. When I turn it back on everything is normal and it may go for hours before turning itself off again. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Thanks,
- Gary
post #3609 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoker View Post

My 6020 has been spontaneously shutting itself off lately. It doesn't seem to be related in any way to what I'm watching; it just turns itself off. When I turn it back on everything is normal and it may go for hours before turning itself off again. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Thanks,
- Gary

Could it be overheating?
post #3610 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
- Gary

Very interesting, almost sounds like the power supply.
post #3611 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
if you bought it to a local store exchange it if not Call it in to pioneer

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #3612 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
- Gary

How long have you had it for?
post #3613 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun View Post

I thought I would just throw this out there. Has anyone thought about removing the frame on there TV to sand the inner border so its a flat black so the TV doesnt reflect off of it? I am talking about that little quarter inch piece of the bezel all the way around that tends to reflect the image of the picture. (can sometimes be distracting) I was just thinking of using 1000 grit sand paper to make it flat black.. What do you guys think?

I agree that this strip of glossy black (only about 1/8") on the inside of the bezel is very distracting once you notice it reflects all the light on the edge of the screen and flashes this reflection as the screen content changes - it is obvious and distracting once you notice it.

I notice that on last year's Pioneer's (5010,6010), this strip of bezel is flat black and does not reflect like the new models.

I would be surprised if this didn't bother more people, once they see it. Does anyone have a solution? How difficult is it to remove the bezel from these to make a modification? Everything else about this unit is fantastic, but this is a major design flaw imo.
post #3614 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision View Post

Very interesting, almost sounds like the power supply.

I agree!

By the way...someone at the Elite Thread has an 151FD model with the same sort of problem...and a blinking blue LED light too but no picture (do yours have a blinking light?). He has to unplug the set and re-plug it to get it working again...only for the problem to recur later on.

My unsolicited advice is: get it replaced with a new set and don't put up with any excuses!...

-THTS
post #3615 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J Manrique View Post

I agree!

By the way...someone at the Elite Thread has an 151FD model with the same sort of problem...and a blinking blue LED light too but no picture (do yours have a blinking light?). He has to unplug the set and re-plug it to get it working again...only for the problem to recur later on.

My unsolicited advice is: get it replaced with a new set and don't put up with any excuses!...

-THTS

I agree, save the hassel and get it replaced.
post #3616 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 285
technical talk only: no price/where to buy talk please

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #3617 of 15008 Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM

I received my 5020 this past Saturday and I've been loving it. I'm coming from a Sony SXRD 50A2020 and the Kuro blows it away in every aspect. I'm using D-Nice's settings along with running the break-in images on slide show when I'm not watching it. I've noticed a stuck sub-pixel near the center of the screen a couple days ago. I know that it's stuck because sometimes it goes unstuck during normal viewing and also during the break in images I cannot see it at all. I really hope this goes away during the break-in period.
post #3618 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picturefreak View Post

I received my 5020 this past Saturday and I've been loving it. I'm coming from a Sony SXRD 50A2020 and the Kuro blows it away in every aspect. I'm using D-Nice's settings along with running the break-in images on slide show when I'm not watching it. I've noticed a stuck sub-pixel near the center of the screen a couple days ago. I know that it's stuck because sometimes it goes unstuck during normal viewing and also during the break in images I cannot see it at all. I really hope this goes away during the break-in period.

It may, I had one go away during break iin

post #3619 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM

I'm very pleased to announce that last night I took delivery of a 6020FD. I didn't intend this post to be so long, but I'd like some feedback on some of my first impressions.

This is my first plasma, and I've arrived at this junction through many trial and error situations with LCD's. All in all, I've owned 5 LCD's. Three Samsung LN52A650's (52") the Samsung LN52A540 (Sams Club 52") and a cheapo Sanyo from Wal-Mart. All 5 have gone back because I was not satisfied with the flaws in the design.

That said, if it's not already apparent, I'm very particular about flaws on sets. Actually if I had to rank items of importance on a set, I would put flaws above PQ in order of importance. I know some of you would prefer a set that had significant buzzing if it offset that flaw by having beautiful rich colors and the deepest blacks for the ultimate PQ. I, on the other hand wouldn't be able to stand such a set. I'd actually prefer a no-flaw set, and would sacrifice PQ perfection for that.

I decided on the 9G Kuro because it's known to be among, if not the, best line of sets on the market today. Additionally through all the thousands of posts I've read here, it also seems to be one of the least troublesome when it comes to flaws.

I started the break-in procedure last evening, with an Onkyo SP-404 and the break-in dvd from eaprogramming. I've hooked it up to the 6020 via S-video. I can't recall where I read that tip or if I imagined it, but that's how it's running. If that's not a good setup, someone chip in and correct me please.

I have a couple of first impressions I'd like to share:

- Buzzing. It's there, and reading all the posts, I was convinced I could hear it before my TV was delivered. The buzzing is almost non-existent. I can hear it clearly when I'm behind my set (as other posters here have mentioned), and I can hear it when I'm in front of my set only if I focus on the sound (the unit isn't in its final spot, so I can't quote an exact distance). I have decent hearing, I am still under 30, and I still have the hearing to pick up those pesky mosquito frequency ringtones some people have on their cellphones. The buzzing issue is not an issue for me with this set.

- The KURO sticker. It wasn't there. Kind of suspicious to me, but I've seen posts where other owners didn't have one either. Is this now the norm, or did Pioneer repack someone else's set? More light on this would be appreciated.

- The dirty picture. I think I know what people are talking about. When I look at an LCD that's displaying a completely white picture (if I were looking for dead pixels), I'm almost blinded by the light and the picture looks pretty uniform. Only when the Kuro is displaying the white or gray pictures of the break-in disc, I do see what I would describe as a non-uniform picture. It's almost as if I can see darker haze in some sections of the picture on white (or light gray). Is this a problem? Is this some kind of optical trick my eyes are playing with me while looking at a white picure that is being drawn many times per second? I don't think it is, but I'd also like some feedback on this. I don't think I'll notice this effect with normal content.

- Dead pixels. A favorite of mine, since I'm prone to this curse. I'm happy to report I haven't seen a single dead OR stuck pixel. Hooray! But don't get too excited yet. Being the flaw finder that I am, I have a jewler's quality magnifier that I use to inspect "dead pixels." When I had the first white screen displayed on the 6020, I went searching, with my naked eye, for dead pixels. I noted 4 or 5. I was pretty disappointed. I got my jewler's loupe and looked at them to see if it was dead or stuck. Amazingly, the 4 or 5 spots I noticed were not, in fact, pixels. They were actually solid objects obstructing the light from a pixel. One or two of the objects were tiny gnats, yes insects. Another couple appeared to be dust particles that were sandwiched between the panel and front glass during the manufacturing process. This isn't the first time I've seen this. This actually is the third HDTV (2 were LCD's) where I've seen these "gnats" in the glass. I'm very curious if people reporting dead pixels aren't actually seeing black dots that appear to be dead pixels and are really tiny fruit flies or dust specs. Long story short, no dead pixels, but 4 or 5 partially "obscured" pixels, and I am okay with that.
post #3620 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations! And welcome to Club Kuro! You got a terrific set. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arikmoon View Post

I started the break-in procedure last evening, with an Onkyo SP-404 and the break-in dvd from eaprogramming. I've hooked it up to the 6020 via S-video. I can't recall where I read that tip or if I imagined it, but that's how it's running. If that's not a good setup, someone chip in and correct me please.

I wouldn't think it would matter a lot for the break-in disc. It's not like you're trying to get stellar picture quality - but when you move on to content, I would definitely use hdmi or component cable. You will get a much improved picture.

-
Quote:

The KURO sticker. It wasn't there. Kind of suspicious to me, but I've seen posts where other owners didn't have one either. Is this now the norm, or did Pioneer repack someone else's set? More light on this would be appreciated.

Pioneer doesn't use them anymore. I don't know why they switched. One person here actually offered to pay someone to get their sticker. Some found them to be a pita since they had to get the residue off their bezel. Most didn't care.

-
Quote:

- The dirty picture. I think I know what people are talking about. When I look at an LCD that's displaying a completely white picture (if I were looking for dead pixels), I'm almost blinded by the light and the picture looks pretty uniform. Only when the Kuro is displaying the white or gray pictures of the break-in disc, I do see what I would describe as a non-uniform picture. It's almost as if I can see darker haze in some sections of the picture on white (or light gray). Is this a problem? Is this some kind of optical trick my eyes are playing with me while looking at a white picure that is being drawn many times per second? I don't think it is, but I'd also like some feedback on this. I don't think I'll notice this effect with normal content.

There have been many reports of people who saw that effect and it went away after a certain number of hours of use. I was one of them. I had this effect on my 141. It started fading pretty quickly. By 50 hours into the break-in disc, I couldn't see it at all. In my case, I could never see it on anything but a white or light grey screen - so it wouldn't have bothered me in any case.

Have fun with your new toy!
post #3621 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Thanks Vashti,

Your responses made me feel good, better, and great. I'm really looking forward to enjoying this set.
post #3622 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 406
arikmoon -- I have a 6020, too, and think that you will be very happy with yours. You don't have the buzzing problem some have complained about because the Kuros that are so afflicted are apparently quite loud.

I saw the "dirty picture" in a shot of the sky in a BD movie during the first couple of days I had my 6020 and have never seen it since. I have had mine for about 6 weeks, so it has to have more than 200 hours on it by now. I did not do the break in procedure and seem to have suffered no ill effects as a result. I have never seen a dead pixel or any indication of image retention or burn in.

I got my first HDTV, a 50 inch RCA Scenium DLP, 5 years ago. It was state of the art in its day and still isn't bad. Then, 2 years ago I bought a top of the line LCD, a 32 inch Sony XBR, for my kitchen-eating area and its PQ seemed wonderful to me. Nevertheless, I have NEVER seen anything like the PQ of the 6020 in Movie mode, tweaked slightly according to D-Nice's recommendations. The detail and sheer beauty of darkly lighted scenes in BD movies is awe inspiring. I like movie mode so much I even use it to watch HD sports. Enjoy!
post #3623 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hun View Post

I thought I would just throw this out there. Has anyone thought about removing the frame on there TV to sand the inner border so its a flat black so the TV doesnt reflect off of it? I am talking about that little quarter inch piece of the bezel all the way around that tends to reflect the image of the picture. (can sometimes be distracting) I was just thinking of using 1000 grit sand paper to make it flat black.. What do you guys think?

Heck, why waste precious time? I say use a belt sander. You go first.
post #3624 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benseattle View Post

Heck, why waste precious time? I say use a belt sander. You go first.

If I was going to do anything to "fix" the shiny bezel issue, it would be finding some matte black paint for it. That way at least whatever you're doing is removable someday if you change your mind.
post #3625 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloFellow13 View Post

If I was going to do anything to "fix" the shiny bezel issue, it would be finding some matte black paint for it. That way at least whatever you're doing is removable someday if you change your mind.

Some sort of cloth bezel wrap would come on and off easily. A custom drapes shop or similar type operation could create one.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #3626 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Some sort of cloth bezel wrap would come on and off easily. A custom drapes shop or similar type operation could create one.

Black felt material will do just fine; felt absorbs light like out of space black holes do!...

-THTS
post #3627 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 PM

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 6020 so I have a question about breaking it in. The break-in DVD thread seems to be void of anyone graciously providing information, so I see this thread as the next best place to ask.

I only have an older DVD player JVC XV-S45. I know it will play the break-in DVD, but do I need a progressive scan player to avoid damage? The best I can do with it is analog component out and it can't handle 720p.
post #3628 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 05:08 PM

As mentioned earlier, my two-week old 5020 is producing just SPECTACULAR pictures. Even non-golfers will appreciate the superb realism found in ESPN's Hi-Def broadcast of the Ryder Cup. All this with no messy "break-in" except for maintaining the PQ in the "Standard" mode. (After much experimentation, this, by the way, is my favorite setting. All the colors found in nature; no more no less.)

But during a "Citi" commercial that at the end shows a bright WHITE screen, I did notice that for just that half-second, the corners of the set are slightly gray. ONLY on a pure white screen mind you and nothing of the sort is noticeable when any kind of regular picture is on the screen.

Is this typical of a KURO with well under 100 hours and nothing to worry about, or does this mean there's a concern brewing here?

Thanks!
post #3629 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 05:57 PM

DNice, I think you were at the event with Kevin Miller. Not sure if you saw this post regarding the PDP-6020FD http://www.tweaktv.com/the-miller-ch...libration.html
post #3630 of 15008 Old 09-19-2008, 06:05 PM

Looks pretty interesting, thank you
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page