The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

This is overkill the 6020 only weighs approx 120lb without the stand. Fastening into two studs will be plenty.

Sanus low profile mounts are good and about 1.5" deep which will be enough clearance. This will also give you an ample 3" of space for the turn radius of the hdmi cable when it's plugged into the awkwardly positioned hdmi ports.

There are considerations other than static weight. Being in California and having experienced numerous earthquakes, I must consider that 120lb mass shaking about. So there is a dynamic weight issue. Also, there is the issue of the physics of the weight acting on a 1.5 to 3 inch lever (the distance from the wall to the display due to the mount). For me, 3-stud mounts are two more (or 50% more) attachment points. That extra security is worth it to me.

Another point: I've helped install other 2-stud wall mounts for friends. I have found that permitted lateral adjustment is sometimes limited. So much so, that on a couple of occassions I've had to move the mount to a different pair of studs based upon a friend's preference for the display's final position (with the resultant patching of holes in the wall). The location of studs should not dictate (or be a significant factor in) where the display will ultimately be located.

For a panel as large as the 6020, I prefer a 3-stud mount. Install it only once. Also it has a wider range in which you can horizontally slide the display. And the aforementioned extra security in earthquake country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgsxr View Post

No, it is not backlit.

....The conspiracy theorist in me is now fully intrigued. My previous Pioneer Plasma remotes both said Plasma Display at the bottom. This new display says "Flat Panel TV".....hmmmmmm.

I know we will soon see lcd panels from Pio outsourced in smaller sizes in the future, but will they use this Elite remote? Seems like a nice unit for the smaller sets, and not the typical white/silver for the lower lines. Maybe a larger size Elite LCD is in our future as well? Why change from Plasma to Flat Panel other than to ship this remote with all flat panel units....

On a side note....Glad to see they changed the Channel and Volume keys to opposite sides of the remote. The reverse location never bothered me but you get tired of someone always railing about it on here...lol

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #363 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yeah, last night I put it ot my wife this way:

If you had a 50" tv at X dollars, and a 50" model that cost $800 dollars more for a measurably better picture.

On the other hand, you had a 60" version of the first 50 incher for 800-900 more.

Which would be the better choice?

She said "60" is too big. LOL

Looks like I'm waiting for the new Pro111!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #364 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Just got an email that my 6020 is on the way
Thanks again Roman.
post #365 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Sucker isn't the right word because there is a performance difference. If there wasn't that would be applicable.

Maybe the word PUSH is more relevant. Regardless, I feel taking basic features out of a high end television (even though it's not the top model) is a disservice to the consumer IMO.
post #366 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus330I View Post

The Sanus looks nice. Does anyone know for sure if it will fit the 6020?

Absolutely! I had it installed on this exact mount today.
post #367 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post

There are considerations other than static weight. Being in California and having experienced numerous earthquakes, I must consider that 120lb mass shaking about. So there is a dynamic weight issue. Also, there is the issue of the physics of the weight acting on a 1.5 to 3 inch lever (the distance from the wall to the display due to the mount). For me, 3-stud mounts are two more (or 50% more) attachment points. That extra security is worth it to me.

Another point: I've helped install other 2-stud wall mounts for friends. I have found that permitted lateral adjustment is sometimes limited. So much so, that on a couple of occassions I've had to move the mount to a different pair of studs based upon a friend's preference for the display's final position (with the resultant patching of holes in the wall). The location of studs should not dictate (or be a significant factor in) where the display will ultimately be located.

For a panel as large as the 6020, I prefer a 3-stud mount. Install it only once. Also it has a wider range in which you can horizontally slide the display. And the aforementioned extra security in earthquake country.

Huh.... never thought about earthquakes..... we don't get them here. So fair point.

I have to disagree with your comment of the weight acting on a 1.5" to 3" lever being an issue to consider. This is already factored into the design of the mount.
post #368 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

This sounds similar to what car companies due in the US.
Toyota -- Lexus
Honda -- Acura
non-Elite -- Elite

I have an Acura and it has a honda engine, .1 liter larger than the honda accord. It is almost the same car just with a few more bells and whistles. I can be driving the poor mans honda, I need to have car one level higher (status thing). I am joking but that is how seems to be in the US. In other countries they don't have the same manufacturer using different names for cars, maybe that is why Pioneer only sells one version.

-kkgsxr

I drve a Toyota Avalon, a poor mans low end Lexus.

There are no answers, only choices.
post #369 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Anyone determine which remote code works best in a Directv RC64 remote? I tried a few of the codes in the Directv manual as well as the on-screen setup guide. While they allow volume and channel functions, other keys seem to have no function, Yet when I program the RC64 to work my Sony sets, I can access things like menus, info, etc.

Any suggestions (other than to toss it and get a Harmony or the equivalent)?

Thanks
Botcher
post #370 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw View Post

i think that is why i am waiting for amazon to start carrying these. their delivery service is spot on. and they give you a 30 day price match garentee.

LOL.
Are you serious?
Last year I got 2 dead 6010's in a row with Amazon. The first box had holes all in it. The second box had two large holes on one side that were the exact distance as forklift prongs. Which tells me that someone ran a forklift directly into the box.
Both TV's were dead as a doornail.
As soon as you pressed the power button you would hear a deafening loud buzz and no video. This is what happens when the internal Glass is busted from bad handling.
and that was just the beginning.
Having to get replacements was an absolute nightmare. Amazon uses Customer service people in India (which I think is one of the stupidest things that american companys can do IMO). Both times I had to talk to some guy who kept saying "I am sorry that happen to you, please hold" over and over again and I could barely make out what he was saying because the language barrier was so bad. But its cheaper for Amazon to use these guys so to heck with customer service. Thanks Amazon.
I have also heard from another AVS member that they were told by amazon that they have been dropped as a customer because they did not buy enough and that no replacements would be granted. Does anyone remember who that was??
Dealing with amazon drove me crazy!
I would recommend you use a forum sponsor. End of story.

This is India, This is where you call for Amazon Customer Support:

wHy So SeRiOus???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #371 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

!!!!! How would you like to be a lineman in that neighborhood?!?

Patience has its rewards.
post #372 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:

The bottom holes are about 7 3/4" up.

Hi.... sorry to labor this point.

How far are the top holes from the top of the set?

Can you pls confirm.... is this a 6020?

thanks!!!
post #373 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Peet,
Have you seen this yet??
it makes me laugh.
http://gizmodo.com/5013722/sony-host...guess-who-wins

wHy So SeRiOus???

post #374 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Peet,
Have you seen this yet??
it makes me laugh.

At least they make the KURO look respectable in the comparo. The Pioneer face off "calibrated" the competition to look silly. There is no way the 81 series Samsung's blacks were that bad.
post #375 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

At least they make the KURO look respectable in the comparo. The Pioneer face off "calibrated" the competition to look silly. There is no way the 81 series Samsung's blacks were that bad.

What they don't think of in the article is how long it will be before the XBR8 is released and where will Kuro be by that time. In Zero idol luminance land, thats where.

wHy So SeRiOus???

post #376 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Maybe the word PUSH is more relevant. Regardless, I feel taking basic features out of a high end television (even though it's not the top model) is a disservice to the consumer IMO.

I would agree with that.
post #377 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

What they don't think of in the article is how long it will be before the XBR8 is released and where will Kuro be by that time. In Zero idol luminance land, thats where.

The XBR8s will be released this year, 46" and 55".
post #378 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:

55" XBR 8 is scheduled to be released in September of this year (not to complicate anybody's decision any further ).
post #379 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's o.k., you are in a Kuro thread....I would guess very few would have to think twice about a 9g for an LCD.
post #380 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Yeah, last night I put it ot my wife this way:

If you had a 50" tv at X dollars, and a 50" model that cost $800 dollars more for a measurably better picture.

On the other hand, you had a 60" version of the first 50 incher for 800-900 more.

Which would be the better choice?

She said "60" is too big. LOL

Looks like I'm waiting for the new Pro111!

That is what my wife said, too. However, my price difference is more like $1000+. Don't know who is selling 111FDs at $800 over Invision's price on the 5020FD.
post #381 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

LG will be in zero idol luminance land before Pioneer. Matter of fact 9G Kuro is Pioneer's last Plasma Panel.. Next year 10G= Panasonic Panel. I own a Pioneer Kuro and its the best set at this time but if you think other technologies and companies are not going to surpass it then you are delusional. This fan boy "fight to the death" type post are truly comical... Keep them coming!
post #382 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:

Regardless, the LCD issues of viewing angle, motion blur and color quality will still lag behind the Kuros. My bet is the Kuros will still present the more accurate, superior picture. I don't believe there's an LCD that can match it.
post #383 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordon View Post

That is what my wife said, too. However, my price difference is more like $1000+. Don't know who is selling 111FDs at $800 over Invision's price on the 5020FD.

The 60" is not "too big".... When it comes to hometheater and flat panels, bigger will always be "better" unless you are sitting < 6 ft away.... Our 60" 8G will give way to a 70-75" 10G (if they arrive....).

Buy the 60 and tell her it's a 50.....
post #384 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

It's o.k., you are in a Kuro thread....I would guess very few would have to think twice about a 9g for an LCD.

Amen,
I doubt that the XBR8 will beat 9G black levels without crushing.
Even if it did, there still motion issues, bad viewing angles, well you guys know the list.

wHy So SeRiOus???

post #385 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Amen,
I doubt that the XBR8 will beat 9G black levels without crushing.
Even if it did, there still motion issues, bad viewing angles, well you guys know the list.

you forgot flashlighting and clouding...

(chants.....KURO..KURO...KURO.........)
post #386 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

The 60" is not "too big".... When it comes to hometheater and flat panels, bigger will always be "better" unless you are sitting < 6 ft away.... Our 60" 8G will give way to a 70-75" 10G (if they arrive....).

Ha, ha, that's a good one, but knowing my wife, she would break out the tape measure to see if the furniture fits perfectly.

For that real HT feel, I too am a subscriber to "bigger is better". This is especially true for resolving all the benefits of a 1080p display. Viewing distances in relation to screen size & resolution is where it's at for me.
post #387 of 15008 Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougebear View Post

LG will be in zero idol luminance land before Pioneer. Matter of fact 9G Kuro is Pioneer's last Plasma Panel.. Next year 10G= Panasonic Panel. I own a Pioneer Kuro and its the best set at this time but if you think other technologies and companies are not going to surpass it then you are delusional. This fan boy "fight to the death" type post are truly comical... Keep them coming!

I would say that you need to check your facts. Next year only the glass will be built by panasonic to pioneer spec. So in no way is it going to be a "panasonic panel". I know the Kuro-bashers love to say that the 9G is the last Real pioneer plasma but its just not so. And Panasonic glass is awesome anyway. Imagine how bettter it will be with kuro tech. And lets not forget Pioneers filter and processing.
When Sony decided to use samsung panels how come we never heard anyone saying "this is the last sony"? Would you consider a sony and a sammy the same. heck no.
Just wait until the 9G's are reviewed. They will again be the TV of the year and Cnets reference set to measure others by. And if you think that will not happen the you are the delusional one.
Samsung already tried to beat the Kuro with an LED backlit LCD (81F) and lost.
Anyway, lets get back on topiic.

wHy So SeRiOus???

post #388 of 15008 Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

That rocks!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #389 of 15008 Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I would say that you need to check your facts. Next year only the glass will be built by panasonic to pioneer spec. So in no way is it going to be a "panasonic panel". I know the Kuro-bashers love to say that the 9G is the last Real pioneer plasma but its just not so. And Panasonic glass is awesome anyway. Imagine how bettter it will be with kuro tech. And lets not forget Pioneers filter and processing.
When Sony decided to use samsung panels how come we never heard anyone saying "this is the last sony"? Would you consider a sony and a sammy the same. heck no.
Just wait until the 9G's are reviewed. They will again be the TV of the year and Cnets reference set to measure others by. And if you think that will not happen the you are the delusional one.
Samsung already tried to beat the Kuro with an LED backlit LCD (81F) and lost.
Anyway, lets get back on topiic.

Kuro Bashers? I own a 5010 and have a Pioneer BDP-51FD coming to me in
July. My facts are straight. Panasonic's Panels will be used by Pioneer for G10 Pioneer plasmas. Those are the facts. Pioneer might share some of their technology with Panasonic but if you believe Panasonic is going to be setting up a different production line just for "Pioneer Spec Panels" than you are sadly mistaken. The same panel that is in the 2009 Panasonic Plasmas will be the same exact panel in the G10 Pioneer. Will the Pioneer look better because of different processing and drive system? Possibly...but the FACTS are the Panel will be produced by Panasonic and be the same PANEL used by both Panasonic and Pioneer. I could care less who makes it and what technology it is. If the Sony LED LCD is the best flat panel in the fall then I will wait until they have a 70" and move the Pioneer 5010 into the bedroom. The Pioneer Kuro is the best display available today, could that be different in a year or two? Yes... Like you said back to topic.
post #390 of 15008 Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Peet,
Have you seen this yet??
it makes me laugh.

Yikes the Pioneer Kuro looks bad in comparison (It is a Pioneer, just look at the light on the bottom left frame).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page