The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chadmak09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dnice,
You have probably heard this question before so I will make it brief.
I am either gettin a 6020 or an elite 151.
I have no intention of getting either set professionally calibrated, I am just going to use your reference settings (once they are posted) and then adjust to my liking.
With not getting the set professionally calibrated, Do you think there will still be a noticable difference in Picture quality between the 6020 and 151?
As of now I plan on the 151fd but I am still considering the 6020 (especially since there are some availible right now).
Thanks,
-Chad
chadmak09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Dnice,
You have probably heard this question before so I will make it brief.
I am either gettin a 6020 or an elite 151.
I have no intention of getting either set professionally calibrated, I am just going to use your reference settings (once they are posted) and then adjust to my liking.
With not getting the set professionally calibrated, Do you think there will still be a noticable difference in Picture quality between the 6020 and 151?
As of now I plan on the 151fd but I am still considering the 6020 (especially since there are some availible right now).
Thanks,
-Chad

Grayscale...no as I'm going to post SM RGB offsets for the non-Elites.

Colors...yes.

Gamma....we will see.
D-Nice is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NemoZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Grayscale...no as I'm going to post SM RGB offsets for the non-Elites.

Colors...yes.

Gamma....we will see.

Very anxious to hear what you say about the 9gs. Thanks again for keeping up with all the gens and the settings; I love your reference settings and really appreciate you working on them for all of us.
NemoZorro is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
colleycol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any pics yet???

_________________________________________________
My Gear:
JVC RS4810, Prismasonic HD6000M anamorphic lens, Screen Excellence 4K 115 inch wide
Lumagen Radiance 2021
Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
...
colleycol is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coltsfreak18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

Any pics yet???

Agreed. Cybertec needs to get a 111 and start the "Official" Kuro (gen 2) picture thread.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
coltsfreak18 is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ChuckZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Someone posted 4 pictures in the other 9G Kuro thread.
ChuckZ is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The guy graciously posted pics here (I guess he needs to calibrate it a bit):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3397
Nambit is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Member
 
HDCanHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

Someone posted 4 pictures in the other 9G Kuro thread.

For those who missed it:


pics courtesy of bucd
HDCanHD is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Peejay926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested to see how stripped down the Picture settings are on the 5020 and 6020 in comparison to the 5010 and 6010.
Peejay926 is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Peejay926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, in the one picture with the game paused I can't tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins......nice
Peejay926 is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay926 View Post

Wow, in the one picture with the game paused I can't tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins......nice

To be fair, under the same lighting condition, my Pro-150FD is very similar with a PS3's default dashboard at night (black). Nice shots though.
Nambit is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Member
 
sailwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any buzzing?
sailwind is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Member
 
bucd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind View Post

Any buzzing?

There is buzzing, but this being my first plasma TV and hearing that all plasma having a slight buzzing sound, i'm not sure how it compares to last year's model if it's more or less.

-D
bucd is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jack White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay926 View Post

Wow, in the one picture with the game paused I can't tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins......nice

You can't and neither could I but all those regular folks who LOVE TORCH mode on their computer monitors could tell.
Jack White is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Member
 
onyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


There is buzzing, but this being my first plasma TV and hearing that all plasma having a slight buzzing sound, i'm not sure how it compares to last year's model if it's more or less.

But do you hear the buzzing if you sit dead center in front of the TV, and if so is it somewhat loud if you mute the set?
onyxx is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is anyone planning on purchasing the Pioneer 9G matching HT components, ie. Pioneer Receiver & BD Player?
cajieboy is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Newbie
 
stix217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the standard mounting bracket at Monoprice work for my new 5020? It says for up to 63" but I'm more worried about the compatibility.

Also, what height do you guys find is optimal for mounting on a wall? I don't really like looking 'up' at the TV so I'm thinking 4' woud probably be the max.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
stix217 is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Tayja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix217 View Post

Will the standard mounting bracket at Monoprice work for my new 5020? It says for up to 63" but I'm more worried about the compatibility.

Also, what height do you guys find is optimal for mounting on a wall? I don't really like looking 'up' at the TV so I'm thinking 4' woud probably be the max.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

+1
4 feet to the bottom of the panel?
Same question here...
Tayja is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,641
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay926 View Post

Wow, in the one picture with the game paused I can't tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins......nice

Don't judge picture quality, black levels etc. from a digital still. Also keep in mind you are viewing these results on an LCD computer monitor, not exactly a 'reference display'. You need to see the display in person. We saw exactly the same type of pictures with the 8g and people were making the same comments. I think we need to have a warning on all pix viewed on AVS "caution, the pictures may not represent what you actually see in person".
Ken Ross is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
gregdpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Is anyone planning on purchasing the Pioneer 9G matching HT components, ie. Pioneer Receiver & BD Player?

yeah i plan on buying the 60 inch non elite. i already have the VSX-92TXH. and the new bd players look like they are going to be really cool.
gregdpw is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Vonbek777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 05 blue ray player pre-ordered to go with my 151. I am either getting the sc-07 or sc-09 for a receiver. I have not decided which yet. I am doing a complete upgrade right now. I will post before and after pictures once everything is up an running but with the 05 not expected out til August, it is going to be a while. bucd I would like more info on the buzzing too...I am extremely sensitive to high frequency noise and I hate buzzing but I assumed that it wasn't all that noticeable if you were sitting several feet away....please post more impressions. Thanks!
Vonbek777 is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Member
 
HDCanHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

bucd I would like more info on the buzzing too...I am extremely sensitive to high frequency noise and I hate buzzing but I assumed that it wasn't all that noticeable if you were sitting several feet away....please post more impressions. Thanks!

This sounds like a job for... D-NICE!

D-Nice: Is it possible that in your upcoming review / analysis you could please perform some kind of acoustics/ambient noise tests?

Some of the best PC hardware reviews include detailed analysis the dB level or noise output generated from devices (particularly those going into an HTPC).

I think it would be great to have you perform a similar analysis given all the curiosity over this aspect. It would be great to have some kind of idea of the noise level on the 9G's from 6", 1ft, 3ft, 6ft, etc.

Even a subjective analysis, if dB measurement cannot be performed, would be really interesting to read your opinions in your review. If the buzzing is nil, or less than 8G it would be great to have your official observation of that.

As you have also mentioned before, ALL PDPs buzz to some extent. Is it possible to have the same test on your 800U when you receive it?

(Btw, any chance of an overall shootout review between the 9G Pio / 800U Panny for by the numbers contrast ratio, black levels, color accuracy after calibration?) Thanks very much!
HDCanHD is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
grider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakville, ON Canada
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix217 View Post

Will the standard mounting bracket at Monoprice work for my new 5020? It says for up to 63" but I'm more worried about the compatibility.

Also, what height do you guys find is optimal for mounting on a wall? I don't really like looking 'up' at the TV so I'm thinking 4' woud probably be the max.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Depends how high you are sitting and how far away. Ideally.... middle of the picture would be at eye height. This will not work for some installations such as over the fireplace. In this case bottom of picture at eye height is a good guide. Even higher will work if you are far away, use a tilt mount or sit in a reclined seat.
grider is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Member
 
AVSman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay926 View Post

I'm interested to see how stripped down the Picture settings are on the 5020 and 6020 in comparison to the 5010 and 6010.

Is it expected that the non-elite 9Gs will have fewer picture controls than their 8G counterparts?
AVSman is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 14,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCanHD View Post

This sounds like a job for... D-NICE!

D-Nice: Is it possible that in your upcoming review / analysis you could please perform some kind of acoustics/ambient noise tests?

Some of the best PC hardware reviews include detailed analysis the dB level or noise output generated from devices (particularly those going into an HTPC).

I think it would be great to have you perform a similar analysis given all the curiosity over this aspect. It would be great to have some kind of idea of the noise level on the 9G's from 6", 1ft, 3ft, 6ft, etc.

Even a subjective analysis, if dB measurement cannot be performed, would be really interesting to read your opinions in your review. If the buzzing is nil, or less than 8G it would be great to have your official observation of that.

As you have also mentioned before, ALL PDPs buzz to some extent. Is it possible to have the same test on your 800U when you receive it?

(Btw, any chance of an overall shootout review between the 9G Pio / 800U Panny for by the numbers contrast ratio, black levels, color accuracy after calibration?) Thanks very much!

I'm not sure how any sound reading I provide would be beneficial to others. The acoustic fingerprint of my rooms are totally different than someone elses room.

The correct way to approach this would to do the dB tests in a sound controlled room. Unfortunately there are no sound controlled rooms in my home.

To answer your "shoot-out" question, I'm working on that
D-Nice is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Nk1
Member
 
Nk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post

Is it expected that the non-elite 9Gs will have fewer picture controls than their 8G counterparts?

That is what the word is, that there will be less controls on non-elite units available via standard menu and service menu's. You can check through the Kuro 9G prerelease thread for more info about what the differences are. Basically some of the setting are going to be "hard set" we are awaiting results from D-Nice's tests that will let us know how good or bad the "Hard Set" settings are. Of course none of this will be an issue if you purchase a ELITE unit, but that is much more money.
Nk1 is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Member
 
HDCanHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I'm not sure how any sound reading I provide would be beneficial to others.

The correct way to approach this would to do the dB tests in a sound controlled room. Unfortunately there are no sound controlled rooms in my home.

Fortunately, most of us will not be watching our TV's in sound proof booth's either! So having a 'real life' report on the buzzing might be more useful than a sound controlled booth. There are many ways to approach this to provide useful information on the buzzing.

One method would be to take a baseline reading of the ambient noise in your room, and then conduct the ambient testing of the TV and subtract the ambient noise of your room without a TV. (Also try to perform the sound test during late night or early morning when outside noise is quietest).

Another is to do a purely subjective test: Can you hear the noise from 1ft? 3ft? 6ft? at all? (simply yes or no on each, maybe a rating like LOW/MODERATE/HIGH) Does it detract from the viewing experience? Is it any less/more than 8G? Is it any less/more than 800U? Do you find the buzzing to be louder or quieter than average? is it more noticeable in certain viewing situations?

Any kind of thoughtful analysis of the panel buzz (or lack there-of) would be interesting to many of us. I think it's something people would like to see independently reviewed and would welcome your input on.
HDCanHD is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Vonbek777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I will just take some subjective thoughts on the buzzing as well. I don't expect a perfectly quiet panel. My hearing is such that I hear buzzing all over the place in my house already and fully expect some buzzing from the 151. What I am concerned about is whether the buzzing is loud enough to break the movie experience in quiet scenes sitting 8 to 10 ft. from the panel. That was one of the things I didn't like about my Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player. From 8 ft away I could hear it running in quiet scenes. That is also why I will not buy a PS3 either. Of course it will have to be louder than my fridge which I can hear anywhere in my house for some reason for me to really notice to be honest. I am going to have to invest in some sound proofing at some point.
Vonbek777 is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf10014 View Post

... does it buzz at all in Standby? I am thinking of moving it to a bedroom someday, and I don't need a mosquito in the room

They've never buzzed in standby.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Member
 
sbwtwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there is concern with buzz, but with a sample size of one (you are asking D-Nice to report), how can one extrapolate that to every other unit? The 8G buzz about buzz varied quite widely from different viewing environments to different sets (some folks returned buzzy behemoths to replace them with less buzzy behemoths) to different hearing abilities between all parties. I think we have another case of YMMV. Only you can judge whether your particular set buzzes and whether that is significant to you.

--Scooter
sbwtwo is offline  
 

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off