The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dnice,
You have probably heard this question before so I will make it brief.
I am either gettin a 6020 or an elite 151.
I have no intention of getting either set professionally calibrated, I am just going to use your reference settings (once they are posted) and then adjust to my liking.
With not getting the set professionally calibrated, Do you think there will still be a noticable difference in Picture quality between the 6020 and 151?
As of now I plan on the 151fd but I am still considering the 6020 (especially since there are some availible right now).
Thanks,
-Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Dnice,
You have probably heard this question before so I will make it brief.
I am either gettin a 6020 or an elite 151.
I have no intention of getting either set professionally calibrated, I am just going to use your reference settings (once they are posted) and then adjust to my liking.
With not getting the set professionally calibrated, Do you think there will still be a noticable difference in Picture quality between the 6020 and 151?
As of now I plan on the 151fd but I am still considering the 6020 (especially since there are some availible right now).
Thanks,
-Chad

Grayscale...no as I'm going to post SM RGB offsets for the non-Elites.

Colors...yes.

Gamma....we will see.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Grayscale...no as I'm going to post SM RGB offsets for the non-Elites.

Colors...yes.

Gamma....we will see.

Very anxious to hear what you say about the 9gs. Thanks again for keeping up with all the gens and the settings; I love your reference settings and really appreciate you working on them for all of us.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any pics yet???

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

Any pics yet???

Agreed. Cybertec needs to get a 111 and start the "Official" Kuro (gen 2) picture thread.

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Someone posted 4 pictures in the other 9G Kuro thread.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The guy graciously posted pics here (I guess he needs to calibrate it a bit):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3397
Old 05-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

Someone posted 4 pictures in the other 9G Kuro thread.

For those who missed it:

pics courtesy of bucd
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 PM

I'm interested to see how stripped down the Picture settings are on the 5020 and 6020 in comparison to the 5010 and 6010.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Wow, in the one picture with the game paused I can't tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins......nice
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay926 View Post

Wow, in the one picture with the game paused I can't tell where the screen ends and the bezel begins......nice

To be fair, under the same lighting condition, my Pro-150FD is very similar with a PS3's default dashboard at night (black). Nice shots though.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 PM

Any buzzing?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind View Post

Any buzzing?

There is buzzing, but this being my first plasma TV and hearing that all plasma having a slight buzzing sound, i'm not sure how it compares to last year's model if it's more or less.

-D
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can't and neither could I but all those regular folks who LOVE TORCH mode on their computer monitors could tell.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:

There is buzzing, but this being my first plasma TV and hearing that all plasma having a slight buzzing sound, i'm not sure how it compares to last year's model if it's more or less.

But do you hear the buzzing if you sit dead center in front of the TV, and if so is it somewhat loud if you mute the set?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is anyone planning on purchasing the Pioneer 9G matching HT components, ie. Pioneer Receiver & BD Player?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:58 AM

Will the standard mounting bracket at Monoprice work for my new 5020? It says for up to 63" but I'm more worried about the compatibility.

Also, what height do you guys find is optimal for mounting on a wall? I don't really like looking 'up' at the TV so I'm thinking 4' woud probably be the max.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix217 View Post

Will the standard mounting bracket at Monoprice work for my new 5020? It says for up to 63" but I'm more worried about the compatibility.

Also, what height do you guys find is optimal for mounting on a wall? I don't really like looking 'up' at the TV so I'm thinking 4' woud probably be the max.

Thank you in advance for any help, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

+1
4 feet to the bottom of the panel?
Same question here...
Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1536
Quote:

Don't judge picture quality, black levels etc. from a digital still. Also keep in mind you are viewing these results on an LCD computer monitor, not exactly a 'reference display'. You need to see the display in person. We saw exactly the same type of pictures with the 8g and people were making the same comments. I think we need to have a warning on all pix viewed on AVS "caution, the pictures may not represent what you actually see in person".
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Is anyone planning on purchasing the Pioneer 9G matching HT components, ie. Pioneer Receiver & BD Player?

yeah i plan on buying the 60 inch non elite. i already have the VSX-92TXH. and the new bd players look like they are going to be really cool.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM

I have the 05 blue ray player pre-ordered to go with my 151. I am either getting the sc-07 or sc-09 for a receiver. I have not decided which yet. I am doing a complete upgrade right now. I will post before and after pictures once everything is up an running but with the 05 not expected out til August, it is going to be a while. bucd I would like more info on the buzzing too...I am extremely sensitive to high frequency noise and I hate buzzing but I assumed that it wasn't all that noticeable if you were sitting several feet away....please post more impressions. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

bucd I would like more info on the buzzing too...I am extremely sensitive to high frequency noise and I hate buzzing but I assumed that it wasn't all that noticeable if you were sitting several feet away....please post more impressions. Thanks!

This sounds like a job for... D-NICE!

D-Nice: Is it possible that in your upcoming review / analysis you could please perform some kind of acoustics/ambient noise tests?

Some of the best PC hardware reviews include detailed analysis the dB level or noise output generated from devices (particularly those going into an HTPC).

I think it would be great to have you perform a similar analysis given all the curiosity over this aspect. It would be great to have some kind of idea of the noise level on the 9G's from 6", 1ft, 3ft, 6ft, etc.

Even a subjective analysis, if dB measurement cannot be performed, would be really interesting to read your opinions in your review. If the buzzing is nil, or less than 8G it would be great to have your official observation of that.

As you have also mentioned before, ALL PDPs buzz to some extent. Is it possible to have the same test on your 800U when you receive it?

(Btw, any chance of an overall shootout review between the 9G Pio / 800U Panny for by the numbers contrast ratio, black levels, color accuracy after calibration?) Thanks very much!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix217 View Post

Depends how high you are sitting and how far away. Ideally.... middle of the picture would be at eye height. This will not work for some installations such as over the fireplace. In this case bottom of picture at eye height is a good guide. Even higher will work if you are far away, use a tilt mount or sit in a reclined seat.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm interested to see how stripped down the Picture settings are on the 5020 and 6020 in comparison to the 5010 and 6010.

Is it expected that the non-elite 9Gs will have fewer picture controls than their 8G counterparts?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCanHD View Post

This sounds like a job for... D-NICE!

D-Nice: Is it possible that in your upcoming review / analysis you could please perform some kind of acoustics/ambient noise tests?

Some of the best PC hardware reviews include detailed analysis the dB level or noise output generated from devices (particularly those going into an HTPC).

I think it would be great to have you perform a similar analysis given all the curiosity over this aspect. It would be great to have some kind of idea of the noise level on the 9G's from 6", 1ft, 3ft, 6ft, etc.

Even a subjective analysis, if dB measurement cannot be performed, would be really interesting to read your opinions in your review. If the buzzing is nil, or less than 8G it would be great to have your official observation of that.

As you have also mentioned before, ALL PDPs buzz to some extent. Is it possible to have the same test on your 800U when you receive it?

(Btw, any chance of an overall shootout review between the 9G Pio / 800U Panny for by the numbers contrast ratio, black levels, color accuracy after calibration?) Thanks very much!

I'm not sure how any sound reading I provide would be beneficial to others. The acoustic fingerprint of my rooms are totally different than someone elses room.

The correct way to approach this would to do the dB tests in a sound controlled room. Unfortunately there are no sound controlled rooms in my home.

To answer your "shoot-out" question, I'm working on that
Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Nk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSman View Post

Is it expected that the non-elite 9Gs will have fewer picture controls than their 8G counterparts?

That is what the word is, that there will be less controls on non-elite units available via standard menu and service menu's. You can check through the Kuro 9G prerelease thread for more info about what the differences are. Basically some of the setting are going to be "hard set" we are awaiting results from D-Nice's tests that will let us know how good or bad the "Hard Set" settings are. Of course none of this will be an issue if you purchase a ELITE unit, but that is much more money.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I'm not sure how any sound reading I provide would be beneficial to others.

The correct way to approach this would to do the dB tests in a sound controlled room. Unfortunately there are no sound controlled rooms in my home.

Fortunately, most of us will not be watching our TV's in sound proof booth's either! So having a 'real life' report on the buzzing might be more useful than a sound controlled booth. There are many ways to approach this to provide useful information on the buzzing.

One method would be to take a baseline reading of the ambient noise in your room, and then conduct the ambient testing of the TV and subtract the ambient noise of your room without a TV. (Also try to perform the sound test during late night or early morning when outside noise is quietest).

Another is to do a purely subjective test: Can you hear the noise from 1ft? 3ft? 6ft? at all? (simply yes or no on each, maybe a rating like LOW/MODERATE/HIGH) Does it detract from the viewing experience? Is it any less/more than 8G? Is it any less/more than 800U? Do you find the buzzing to be louder or quieter than average? is it more noticeable in certain viewing situations?

Any kind of thoughtful analysis of the panel buzz (or lack there-of) would be interesting to many of us. I think it's something people would like to see independently reviewed and would welcome your input on.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 AM

Yes, I will just take some subjective thoughts on the buzzing as well. I don't expect a perfectly quiet panel. My hearing is such that I hear buzzing all over the place in my house already and fully expect some buzzing from the 151. What I am concerned about is whether the buzzing is loud enough to break the movie experience in quiet scenes sitting 8 to 10 ft. from the panel. That was one of the things I didn't like about my Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player. From 8 ft away I could hear it running in quiet scenes. That is also why I will not buy a PS3 either. Of course it will have to be louder than my fridge which I can hear anywhere in my house for some reason for me to really notice to be honest. I am going to have to invest in some sound proofing at some point.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf10014 View Post

... does it buzz at all in Standby? I am thinking of moving it to a bedroom someday, and I don't need a mosquito in the room

They've never buzzed in standby.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM

I know there is concern with buzz, but with a sample size of one (you are asking D-Nice to report), how can one extrapolate that to every other unit? The 8G buzz about buzz varied quite widely from different viewing environments to different sets (some folks returned buzzy behemoths to replace them with less buzzy behemoths) to different hearing abilities between all parties. I think we have another case of YMMV. Only you can judge whether your particular set buzzes and whether that is significant to you.

--Scooter

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com