The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 323 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope.. it would appear that the highest refresh rate it can accept from PC input mode is 60Hz.

connected directly, maximum detected supported refresh rate is 60Hz.. can't force it any higher.

I can run it in 24Hz mode, but it doesn't make for optimal computing.

Note, when you choose pc input type, there is no option to adjust pure cinema modes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You may be confussed. Nothing is being input into your RX-V1800 at 72 Hz. The 3:3 pull down from 24 Hz to 72 Hz takes place in your Dispay.

D-Nice was referring to a computer signal at 75 Hz.

Ok thanks =)

TV shows are sent as 60hz usually? I seem to get some lag or judder when I watch TV in Advance mode.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscave View Post

My saga starts. Ordered the 5020 from Vanns last week and it was shipped with Yellow Freight. I called Yellow Freight Friday to arrange delivery for Monday and was promised a call 2 hours prior to delivery. I'm at work and my wife just called and said that Yellow Freight just dropped off the tv and they never called me. She also said the box is all wet and water is running out the bottom of the box. The truck driver offered to plug the tv in to make sure it works, but my wife told him no. He did note the wet/water problem on the freight bill before my wife signed it. She then called me and I called Vanns. They made note of the situation and advised me to check the tv when I get home and call them to update.

I decided to remove the tv from the shipping carton and see if there was any water that could cause damage. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any water in the tv, just about 1/2 a cup in the bottom of the carton. I decided to plug the tv in and check it out. Works perfect and the picture out of the box is excellent. Plus no buzzing (knock on wood).

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Liked: 12
Well my bundle arrived today for Control-Cal....but I'm really confused. I know I need to download Control-Cal for my 5020fd, but there's a bunch of different versions on the site and I don't know which one is right for me. Also, I know I need a display profile for it to work right on my tv, but I don't know where to get it, and I didn't receive an activation key with my order.

Can someone please help? I really want to do this tonight.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

Well my bundle arrived today for Control-Cal....but I'm really confused. I know I need to download Control-Cal for my 5020fd, but there's a bunch of different versions on the site and I don't know which one is right for me. Also, I know I need a display profile for it to work right on my tv, but I don't know where to get it, and I didn't receive an activation key with my order.

Thanks!

Try shooting an IM to turbe.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I've never returned an item through Amazon, and I am really considering returning my 5020 due to the buzz, so how would I go about doing this. (it is now at a different address than what they delivered it to, and I would rather not haul it back to my office where the delivered it, so can I have them pick it up at my house instead?)

Log on to your Amazon Account and look for your order. You will have the option of "Need to return an item" Click on it. It will the give you 2 choices. For them to contact you via e-mail or phone. I returned a Sammy Plasma that I bought for my den not too long ago. I was just not satisfied with it. Needless to say Amazon did not give me any issues/hassle and did not even charge me for the return shipping. Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

A PM per chance.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

A PM per chance.

Er, yeah...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

A PM per chance.

I did, but no answer

There has to be someone on here who's been through this and can tell me which version to download and how to load the appropriate profile.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorScott View Post

Just had my 5020 calibrated by D-Nice yesterday. Difference was so obvious even my wife noticed. So, if you get the opportunuty to have D-Nice calibrate you set, it is well worth it. Great person and great experience. He explains everything to you as he goes.
Here are my results.

Attachment 135405

Attachment 135406

After reading for a couple months, im still in the dark on my 6020. Do I need to do a firmware update for this tv, what exactly will controlcal do for me and where do I get it, and if I wanted to have someone calibrate my tv, is it really worth it and who could I get. Those charts of pre and post calibration are completely alien language to me and have no idea what it means.

I know these questions are asked and answered all the time, but I need help. I want the best possible picture I can get, but I also dont want to do needless things either.

Thankyou
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiron View Post

Bump!

My set-up:

TV - PDP6020FD
AVR - Marantz sr7002
Sony PS3
Dish Network VIP722 HD Satellite Receiver. [/b]

Can anyone be kind and tell me in simple terms...

What settings should I have when I watch:

1. Satellite and OTA channels. (Dish reportedly has some VOD channels that are delivered at 1080p/24fps)

2. Bluray's

3. PS3 Games

I hate feeling so ignorant but I'm pretty much discouraged after reading hundreds of posts. I think I forget faster than I learn!

Specifically, I'm not so interested in color, contrast, etc...but more interested in what mode....like Movie, Sport, etc...and what Pure Cinema Modes for each application.

I am almost at the end of running the break in images using DNice's settings....and plan to go to his "reference" settings afterwards. Beyond this...I'm kind of confused! Can someone make it simple? Something I can put on an index card and laminate!

Anyone?

1. Satellite (1080i)- Movie Mode with pure Cinema at Standard

2. DOD(1080p/24)- Movie with Pure Cinema at "OFF"If TV has been Calibrated) or Advanced(If has not been Calibrated)

3. ( BluRay)Same at 2 above.

4. Cannot help you about the PS3

I have the 722 and my set was Calibrated by D-Nice
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Just got my 5020 this last Friday. Working with D-Nice's break-in settings and the thumbdrive images. This set replaced my Panasonic 42" 720p panel. I sit about 9 feet from the screen.

Couple questions:

1. I was anticipating just an incredible picture and so far I am a little disappointed. SD channels look far worse than my old Panny (but I can live with this) but the thing i am mad about: HD channels look less clear. They are grainy. That is the best word for it. Not horrible but I was expecting so much more (I was expecting a better picture than my old 720p Panny). Does this grainy diminish after break-in?

2. I have directtv. If I feed the 5020 the native, unscaled signal from my directtv box, the info banner comes on every time I change the channel. It is says something like: "HDMI, Input 4, 720p(or whatever signal tha is coming in)." That banner lasts like 2 or 3 seconds and it slows down channel changing significantly. Is there any way to turn that off? Right now, I have chosen to feed the 5020 the non-native signal so that it is scaled by the directtv box and, as a result, the infobanner does not come on. But I would rather have the 5020 do the scaling if possible.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscave View Post

I decided to remove the tv from the shipping carton and see if there was any water that could cause damage. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any water in the tv, just about 1/2 a cup in the bottom of the carton. I decided to plug the tv in and check it out. Works perfect and the picture out of the box is excellent. Plus no buzzing (knock on wood).

Good news! I'm sure you were relieved. Enjoy! Blue
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK79 View Post

1. I was anticipating just an incredible picture and so far I am a little disappointed. SD channels look far worse than my old Panny (but I can live with this) but the thing i am mad about: HD channels look less clear. They are grainy. That is the best word for it. Not horrible but I was expecting so much more (I was expecting a better picture than my old 720p Panny). Does this grainy diminish after break-in?

Some graininess went away on my set, but it may be that with an upgrade in resolution and size you are now seeing the shortcomings of broadcast HD. It's really a crapshoot, pop in a Blu-ray and see what you think. Maybe you'll have a different impression... or maybe not.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Just got my 5020 this last Friday. Working with D-Nice's break-in settings and the thumbdrive images. This set replaced my Panasonic 42" 720p panel. I sit about 9 feet from the screen.

Couple questions:

2. I have directtv. If I feed the 5020 the native, unscaled signal from my directtv box, the info banner comes on every time I change the channel. It is says something like: "HDMI, Input 4, 720p(or whatever signal tha is coming in)." That banner lasts like 2 or 3 seconds and it slows down channel changing significantly. Is there any way to turn that off? Right now, I have chosen to feed the 5020 the non-native signal so that it is scaled by the directtv box and, as a result, the infobanner does not come on. But I would rather have the 5020 do the scaling if possible.

Thanks.

Its not the banner slowing down the channel changing its direct tv changing the resolution for each channel on native.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwolf View Post

Some graininess went away on my set, but it may be that with an upgrade in resolution and size you are now seeing the shortcomings of broadcast HD. It's really a crapshoot, pop in a Blu-ray and see what you think. Maybe you'll have a different impression... or maybe not.

Not just any Blu-ray...if you want to see as pristine a picture as possible, go with a Blu-ray that is widely considered to be of reference video quality (Pixar animated features, I:Robot and certain Disney titles come to mind immediately).
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Firstime Kuro owner here breaking in my new Kuro 5020. I loaded the 20 jpegs linked in D-Nice's posts onto a thumbdrive and have been running a slideshow on my TV for the last 30 hours using D-Nice's break-in settings. I've noticed that all the reds are the same shade of red, greens are the same shade of green, and blues are the same shade of blue. There are slight variations in the shades of gray, but no black. When I view the jpegs on my computer, each color has 5 different shades. Why am I not seeing this on my TV? Should I continue to run the break-in if it is showing the same shades for each color? I have been using a 30 sec interval for each slide. Also, there is a delay between slides of a couple seconds when the screen is completely black. I assume this is OK, right?

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post

From my reading, viewing and research, I believe all the sets have buzzing, and depending on the above factors and personal feelings, it may or may not be annoying.

Wrong. My set does NOT buzz. Not even a little bit. I'm not alone.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrone06 View Post

Its not the banner slowing down the channel changing its direct tv changing the resolution for each channel on native.

My set does this with the TWC HDTV DVR. Its quite annoying at times. Is there any way to fix this? Its like the display has to think too hard in figuring out the resolution.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmachick View Post

Wrong. My set does NOT buzz. Not even a little bit. I'm not alone.

I've heard that some can't(literally) hear the buzz due to age or hearing damage. Not saying that applies to you, just that it's really hard to quantify. Mine buzzes(I can hear it 15+ feet away in near silence) but it's not annoying to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Couple questions:

Thanks.

This display on HD (real HD) looks incredible. Games on ESPN look so crystal clear I sit in amazement sometimes. SD on digital channels looks decent to good most of the time. Some local feeds look downright awful (basketball games) But the HD looks so good on this tv sometimes it likes like I'm watching 3D.

I hear you about the delay when processing the signal. That is quite annoying at times.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Quote:

A PM per chance.

I replied to his PM... waiting for his reply so I know who he is..

I did get a little behind recently, our furnace died (hole in heat exchanger - not good on the lungs) a few days ago, scrambled with bids and just had it replaced today... heat again..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwolf View Post

I've heard that some can't(literally) hear the buzz due to age or hearing damage. Not saying that applies to you, just that it's really hard to quantify. Mine buzzes(I can hear it 15+ feet away in near silence) but it's not annoying to me.

I hear everything and buzzing noises get on my nerves. I get irritated if I have to listen to the fan on my laptop too long. Buzzing from this set is not something I could tolerate. Now that I'm aware of this issue I find myself trying to listen for it everyday. My tv doesn't buzz.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorScott View Post

Just had my 5020 calibrated by D-Nice yesterday. Difference was so obvious even my wife noticed. So, if you get the opportunuty to have D-Nice calibrate you set, it is well worth it. Great person and great experience. He explains everything to you as he goes.
Here are my results.

Attachment 135405

Attachment 135406

Thanks for your Report.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, so this is not the correct thread but since I want to hear from KURO owners only, I must post it here.

I just ordered a PS3 and want to buy a Reference disc to show the PQ of this set to everyone. I have read the reference forum but want to know what KURO owners think is the best on their sets. I do not care about the SQ or care about how the storyline is.

If you went to Bestbuy and had to only buy 1 blu-ray for PQ only what would you get?

Baraka
Planet Earth (BBC)
Kung-fu panda
Wall-e
Or something else?

Thanks

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 PM

^^^ Wall-E
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Ok, so this is not the correct thread but since I want to hear from KURO owners only, I must post it here.

I just ordered a PS3 and want to buy a Reference disc to show the PQ of this set to everyone. I have read the reference forum but want to know what KURO owners think is the best on their sets. I do not care about the SQ or care about how the storyline is.

If you went to Bestbuy and had to only buy 1 blu-ray for PQ only what would you get?

Baraka
Planet Earth (BBC)
Kung-fu panda
Wall-e
Or something else?

Thanks

Baraka, Kung-Fu Panda, and Wall-E all look incredible to me, but when the lights go down "300" is my favorite movie to watch. Really stylized, lots of intentional black crush, and really high contrast. Just does it for me. The wolf scene at the beginning really shows off the blacks.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks,

I have seen wall-e and kung-fu panda but have not seen PE or Baraka.
I just wonder if the animation will have the stunning effect of being there like real life content does.

I just want their bottom lip to hit the top of their shoe laces

Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
If you want humans and film then "Dark Knight" is a good one. Why not have two?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

I just got the Dark knight on SD a few months ago, darn it.

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com