The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 363 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10861 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm View Post

I personally do NOT like movie mode. I prefer standard mode with some tweaks.

OMG, I think we've got the rudiments of a Palace revolt here...

For those of us Philistines who prefer Standard mode, it would be interesting to compare settings.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

For those of us Philistines who prefer Standard mode, it would be interesting to compare settings.

A_C

LOL, I figured I'd get some crap, but movie mode is way to flat looking for me...
post #10863 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...For those of us Philistines who prefer Standard mode, it would be interesting to compare settings.

Okay, I'm at Contrast 42, Brightness +3, Color +2, and Tint G1.
post #10864 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Okay, I'm at Contrast 42, Brightness +3, Color +2, and Tint G1.

Standard
Contrast = 36
Brightness = +4
Color = +2
Tint = 0
Sharpness = -10
Movie mode = Standard
Orbiter = 2

Manhattan Supremacist
post #10865 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM

I have had the 6020-FD since June and love it like a child. However, I plan to move locally in the near future (10 miles or so) and am wondering how do I go about transporting my TV? I've thrown out all the original boxes, and I'm guessing it's not exactly wise to just pull the TV out of my apartment and throw it in the back of a truck.

Any suggestions, folks? I don't want my baby to get hurt....

Also, looking in the future, if one is moving long distances, what's the best way to transport the TV? Thanks.
post #10866 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby79 View Post

I have had the 6020-FD since June and love it like a child. However, I plan to move locally in the near future (10 miles or so) and am wondering how do I go about transporting my TV? I've thrown out all the original boxes, and I'm guessing it's not exactly wise to just pull the TV out of my apartment and throw it in the back of a truck.

Also, looking in the future, if one is moving long distances, what's the best way to transport the TV? Thanks.

Use a good moving company with insurance. They should be able to crate it up for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10867 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Sorry I have a sort of "newbie" question or possibly a repeat question. I firmware upgraded the 6020 a few months back and I was wondering if my professional calibration (done last fall) was screwed up by the firmware upgrade? It seems that the colors are a little off.(especially the whites are a little yellower) It may all be in my head, anyway to tell or check?
post #10868 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolstre View Post

Sorry I have a sort of "newbie" question or possibly a repeat question. I firmware upgraded the 6020 a few months back and I was wondering if my professional calibration (done last fall) was screwed up by the firmware upgrade? It seems that the colors are a little off.(especially the whites are a little yellower) It may all be in my head, anyway to tell or check?

I upgraded my firmware on my 5020 and my contral cal settings where still there afterwards
post #10869 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM

For you guys who prefer standard mode, you basically favor the cooler color (~8000k) and "pumped" contrast/gamma. Check out info here: http://kuro9g.blogspot.com/2008/10/5...mperature.html

Such mode can be pleasing for certain people or situations. But for truthful reproduction of original color and gamma (assuming production chain is accurate), movie mode is about the only choice for 5020/6020.
post #10870 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehien View Post

For you guys who prefer standard mode, you basically favor the cooler color (~8000k) and "pumped" contrast/gamma. Check out info here: http://kuro9g.blogspot.com/2008/10/5...mperature.html

Such mode can be pleasing for certain people or situations. But for truthful reproduction of original color and gamma (assuming production chain is accurate), movie mode is about the only choice for 5020/6020.

Just FYI... I am blessed this evening to have D-Nice calibrating our 5020FD, 500m and 600m and can see with only the 5020 complete the results are amazing... stay tuned.
post #10871 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Standard mode would not be so bad if they did not force the DRE option on, it makes bright scenes look really fake. The only modes I find useful on the 5020 are movie, game and PC with adjusted grayscale and an external VP for color saturation controls.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #10872 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, I figured I'd get some crap, but movie mode is way to flat looking for me...

You guys can like whatever you want, but it's still wrong I'm guessing you love "custom" mode on your Panny too. It has a bunch of edge enhancement and an S shaped gamma just like the standard mode on the 5020.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #10873 of 15008 Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK79 View Post

It just feels like I am breaking some kind of cardinal rule of Kuro ownership by preferring a mode other than movie.

Firstly, I love Movie Mode and had it professionally calibrated, using it all the time. At the same time if you are not a total "purist" in terms of accuracy to standards then you'll find Movie Mode is NOT the only "usable" mode on the Non-Elite Kuro. Learn how to use the basic picture controls and adjustments on your Kuro. They can be quite effective.

I posted here about adjusting the brighter modes on the Non-Elite Kuro.

You might also look into the hdmi-pc modes for even more choices in adjustibility.

It's a bit 'advanced' to use these modes because you need to make sure the color space is correct ("Auto" should usually work though) and also make some attempt to adjust the grayscale, brightness and contrast.

The reward is you can create and save your own color temp adjustments here and you get the sharpest fine detail level with this mode. With a little custom adjustment I've found PC modes to perform quite nicely on Sports offering a razor sharp look that is distinctly different from movie mode without being as high temp or using the extra video processing of the Video A/V modes.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #10874 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 AM

I too, at first, felt the same way many of you do about movie mode. Then I found religion. The ControlCal software with D-Nice's offsets brought Movie mode to life to the point that I never use any other mode for any other content. You folks who prefer Standard mode....is your set calibrated...ControlCal or professionally? Just wondering.
post #10875 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 AM

I use movie mode for all movies and TV, but any games or sports I use game mode because it is a little cooler and brighter, has the least amount of picture enhancements on, even less than movie, and it has game mode for input lag...which basically equates to a placebo effect with online gaming. I always seem to do better on game mode
post #10876 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK79 View Post

As I said, standard mode was not perfect but seemed better. And I know the idea is to find a setting that looks good to you, personally. But given the almost overwhelming majority acceptance of movie mode as the "best" setting to use, I am wondering why? Am I missing something here? And is there a way to retain the more realistic look of standard mode but tone down the "pop" factor just a little? Improve skin tones?

It just feels like I am breaking some kind of cardinal rule of Kuro ownership by preferring a mode other than movie.

I tend to change modes for everything, depending what I am watching. Movie mode is for what some describe as critical viewing (Blu Ray) and most HD broadcasts. Sometimes the picture does seem flat or dull and I switch to Standard or even Game. I use SPORT mode for Hockey as it seems to provide the best picture for what I want to see.

The next question is normally, what settings are you using. Here are all of them but keep in mind I have used D-Nice offsets with ControlCal so settings may vary. I am also tweeking them now and then when I see others posted settings:

Movie
Contrast: 40
Brightness: 0
Color: +1
Tint: R1
Sharpness: -15
Pure Cinema: Off or Standard
Text: OFF
Power Save: OFF
Light Sensor: ON
Orbitor Mode: 1 or 2

Sport
Tint: 0
Pure Cinema: Smooth

GAME (for TV use)
Contrast: 38
Tint: R1

STANDARD
Brightness: +1
Tint: 0
post #10877 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalcott View Post

...You folks who prefer Standard mode....is your set calibrated...ControlCal or professionally?

No, not yet, but I plan to have mine done at the end of this month. I'm going to go back and read Dahlism's adjustment process, and see how he describes that. In the meantime, I had eight other guys over to watch the B-Ball final game, and everyone of them told me that the picture quality of the Pioneer was the best they have ever seen...watched in Standard mode. Of course, we're not a bunch of "purists"!!! For all my DVD watching, I'm in movie mode, tweaked for my eye and viewing environment.
post #10878 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM
bd1

Quote:

I too, at first, felt the same way many of you do about movie mode. Then I found religion. The ControlCal software with D-Nice's offsets brought Movie mode to life to the point that I never use any other mode for any other content. You folks who prefer Standard mode....is your set calibrated...ControlCal or professionally? Just wondering.

I'm agnostic, tried but never could get religioned properly. Guess my eyes are just not critical enough, have seen quite a few calibrated sets at friends' & clients' houses, but never acquired the correct appreciation for it.

I also don't have 20/10 vision, don't see bi, dse, blotches, nor do I see dead people, just what looks good to me.
post #10879 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My 5020 is ControlCAL'd using D-Nice's offsets. It greatly improved Movie mode, but still not as natural looking as Standard.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
post #10880 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
bd1

Quote:

A_C

Philistines ?.... sounds cool....from 1 to another:

my pref is Performance for most daytime use.

Performance: Contrast: 38, Bright: 2. Color: -7, Tint: 0, Sharp: -15 (HDMI dvr)

Standard: Contrast: 38, Bright: 3. Color: -5, Tint: 0, Sharp: -10 (Component/SD/Tuner)

Movie: Contrast: 40, Bright: 3. Color: 0, Tint: G1, Sharp: +8.

Power save: Off, Light Sensor: Off.

SM: Before After
RH - 500 470
GH - 491 486
BH - 500 580
RL - 500 495
GL - 500 495
BL - 500 500

Hard to describe the difference but if you look at the Picture thread, Performance looks a lot like M5ster's pics while Movie has similar colors but not as clear or as bright. For comparison Pure on the 151 looked the same as his pics. Pure on the 111 better (as i'm sure his looks better in person).
post #10881 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

This is just my own Plasma TV moving experience, so I don't speak for anyone else. I have moved my 2005 Philips 50" Ambilight twice in Ohio in my car. The first time from Cleveland to Toledo, straight up in the back of my Subaru Forrester, on the turnpike, then over railroad tracks. The second time from Toledo to Ashalnd. This time it was face up, flat in the back of my Subaru, over hills, over crooked railroad tracks. No problems. The moving companies basically want an additional $1000.00 to move it if you don't have the original box. I couldn't afford it. I gambled and won twice. You only have to move 10 miles. It's your decision, but this is my experiece. Good luck.
post #10882 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
bd1

Quote:

when i got my 50" box wouldn't fit into the van. Stand was already attached so i just took it out of the box & drove home w/ it standing up. i've done it twice now & no harm.
post #10883 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

You guys can like whatever you want, but it's still wrong I'm guessing you love "custom" mode on your Panny too. It has a bunch of edge enhancement and an S shaped gamma just like the standard mode on the 5020.

Now how can I be wrong if I enjoy watching my TV the way I like to? Now, I'd be wrong if I said standard mode is more accurate than movie mode. Which I obviously did not say. You go ahead and watch your TV the way you want, and I will obviously do the same.
post #10884 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

That's also how I feel when I read that anything except Movie mode is "wrong", or anything that states you need to watch it "accurately". Every one's mileage may vary!
post #10885 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now how can I be wrong if I enjoy watching my TV the way I like to? Now, I'd be wrong if I said standard mode is more accurate than movie mode. Which I obviously did not say. You go ahead and watch your TV the way you want, and I will obviously do the same.

Let's also consider that there isn't universal agreement that the D65 color standard actually looks like real life. Which is perhaps why so many lay people find a slightly cooler (D75?) picture more accurate'.

I don't buy the typical explanation for this either; that people are conditioned' to prefer a bluer picture because of the way TV's are displayed in showrooms. The explanation AFAIC is much simpler; people compare what they see on their flat screen to what it looks like in the real world, and adjust their sets accordingly. It really is that simple.

A_C (Flame Shields Up!)

Manhattan Supremacist
post #10886 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
bd1

Quote:

+1....

is there nothing sacred left ? .
post #10887 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
bd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

That's also how I feel when I read that anything except Movie mode is "wrong", or anything that states you need to watch it "accurately". Every one's mileage may vary!

+2....everyone's mileage will vary !

i recall many posts when these sets first came out about just switching to Movie & not change a thing since it was "perfect". then controlcal became available & more posts from same people popped up about how much "better" it was - so that perfect became "perfecter".

yep... slow day at work for me today.
post #10888 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd1 View Post

yep... slow day at work for me today.

A lot of that going around today.

post #10889 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

almost made me teary eyed

Quote:

The Pioneer Kuros may soon be gone, but videophilesKuro owners or notwill not forget them. Hopefully Pioneer will license the Kuro secret sauce to another company to live again in another guise. But whether that happens directly or not, other manufacturers who genuinely seek to provide consumers with the best performance will take a very close look at what Pioneer has accomplished in its last, and sadly final, generation of sets. Their challenge will be to bring their own sets' performance up to where Pioneer left offand beyond. Hopefully the competition to be not only the cheapest, but the best, will drive that effort.

Whatever happens in that regard, we all owe a debt to every member of the Pioneer team who was involved in engineering and building the Kuro plasmas. They significantly advanced the state of the art in modern flat-panel displays. They all have much to be proud of.

from

http://hometheatermag.com/flat-panel...ma_hd_monitor/
post #10890 of 15008 Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps the other manufacturers will hire the engineers that created the Pioneer electronics. They have the knowledge. Doubtful that Pioneer would be able to sell the control configuration and it be easily applied to a different panel.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page