The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my 6020 last Tuesday. I watch for a few hours in the evening but have been breaking in the unit (using Evangelos’ Plasma Break-In DVD and D-Nice’s recommended break-in settings) during most days and overnight. So far, I have about 95 hours on the Break-In DVD mixed in with significantly less actual viewing. Apologies for the late review, but I have been very busy.

Input Source: AT&T U-Verse IP-HDTV (fiber optic to twisted pair at the utility box and to the gateway/router but can be distributed via Ethernet within the home), U-Verse supplied Motorola VIP-1216 HD-DVR Set-Top Box outputting 1080i, and Oppo DV-981HD DVD Player outputting 1080p. HDMI inputs only.

Power: Monster HTS-3500 MkII

Delivery: The box was in pristine condition. No broken glass. So far, no observed bad pixels.

Mounting: Wall-hung (Peerless One-TP tilting mount) above an inactive fireplace with the bottom about 46 inches from the floor (height dictated by fireplace).

Viewing Distance: 10.5 feet.

Speakers: I have not attached the bottom-mounted speaker as I have a 5.1 speaker setup. So, I cannot comment on the factory speakers & amplification.

Bezel: Glossy black imparts a high-end, high-quality look and feel versus other manufacturers matte black bezels.

Black Level in a dark room: Program material blacks are imperceptible from the bezel. On widescreen DVD material, black parts of the upper & lower areas of the screen are imperceptible from the bezel. With no program material input, there is no discernable difference in the blackness of the screen versus the panel being turned-off.

Anti-Glare: In normal viewing, it is akin to the typical LCD in that there is zero perceptible reflection from even direct lighting in the room (for example, table lamps or recessed ceiling lights). With the panel off, the anti-glare is a uniform light-to-medium purple when viewing a light source from an angle. Again with the panel off: While not quite the LCD diffuse reflectivity, for a plasma the anti-glare filter is truly excellent.

Buzz: Varies in sound level but is imperceptible at normal and low listening levels. The buzz is not noticeable from my viewing distance. Rather, I am fully engaged in the entire audio-video experience.

Upconversion: The algorithm for “stretching” 4:3 material to 16:9 is better than other applications that I have seen.

Colors & Sharpness: “Movie” mode provides more accurate colors but is softer than “Optimum” mode. The latter can be attributed to the “Movie” mode’s significantly lower pre-set sharpness setting. Perhaps D-Nice can comment on the effect on color & sharpness that differences (if any) in “Pure Cinema” settings might have.

Motion Blur: Imperceptible.

High Definition Program Material Observations:

U.S. Open Golf: The color of grass was most accurate in “Movie” mode. All other modes displayed unnatural green of varying degrees. Only in “Movie” mode were brown spots on the fairway discernable. The color of Tiger’s red shirt was most accurate in “Movie” mode. All other modes displayed unnatural reds of varying degrees.

NBA Finals: The “Optimum” mode was deemed better than “Movie” mode. “Movie” mode was softer in both sharpness and brightness. “Optimum” mode provided a more realistic “bright” environment not unlike being at the actual game. For example, the reflection of the court lights off the floor was much more “real”. “Movie” mode is good. But “Optimum” mode (by a significantly larger margin) made me feel as if I was physically at the game.

MTV Unplugged – Alicia Keys: This program really demonstrates detail and contrast. The ability to discern Alicia’s black strands of hair as they vary due to movement and different lighting angles set against a glossy black piano, matte black microphone body, black-chrome wire-mesh microphone head, and shadows of the dimly-lit band demonstrates KURO technology at its best. No black crush was observed. “Movie” mode provided the most accurate colors.

MTV Unplugged – Lifehouse: In “Movie” mode, facial flesh tones remain natural & realistic against a backdrop of red and black walls. Also, the strings of small lightbulbs demonstrate the detail that this panel can display despite the “softness” of the “Movie” mode.

Modes: Based upon my limited viewing time and limited program material, I suspect that I will only be using “Movie” and “Optimum” modes. I look forward to re-reviewing the above program material using D-Nice’s final recommended settings.

6020 vs. 151 and 8G vs. 9G: It is difficult to comment as I cannot do side-by-side comparisons. However, the 6020 is so good I seriously doubt you will be disappointed (despite the pre-set modes).

Room Light sensor & Pure Cinema settings: Sorry, I have not experimented with these settings yet.

Gaming: I will not be using the 6020 for gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbycrash View Post

Do these come with some sort of removable protective film over the screen initially? Just in case the deliveryman puts his fingers on the screen while helping me put it on the stand ...

there should be a large white protective sheet covering it. but it's not adhered to the front panel just kinda wrapped around it. the kuro should have a handle on each bottom back side so just make sure he grabs it there and along the top and he shouldn't have too much trouble keeping his fingers off the screen itself.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1083 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfriedman View Post

Doesn't the 6020 have fans in it?
I saw a Pro 111 at Tweeter today and it had 4 or 5 fans across the top of it.

yes, the 6020 has fans but if you stick it into an enclosed cubby hole type cabinet that has very little spacing on the sides/top and no other air circulation such as fans or open back it would be much more subject to heat related damage or shorten the life span.

plus if there was a warranty issue you wouldn't want the sevice tech to report that it was housed in such a situation.

nanorush, i would get a thermometer and sit behind your 6020 in the cabinet enclosure to check what temps are getting back there.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1084 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 03:18 AM

I find interesting the recommendation for sending a 480i signal to the KURO instead of sending an upconverted 1080p signal via the Oppo DV-980H. This implies that the KURO's processing is better. Fair enough as the DV-980H's processing is inferior to the the DV-981HD's Faroudja DCDi processor and DV-983H's Anchor Bay VRS processor.

But is the KURO's processing superior to Faroudja DCDi or Anchor Bay VRS?
post #1085 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

there should be a large white protective sheet covering it. but it's not adhered to the front panel just kinda wrapped around it. the kuro should have a handle on each bottom back side so just make sure he grabs it there and along the top and he shouldn't have too much trouble keeping his fingers off the screen itself.

Thanks!
post #1086 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 AM

Team,

Got my 5020 in place and breaking in. Very tired, but very happy.

I'll post more detailed initial impressions later (probably over lunch), but as of now I am extremely happy with my decision to purchase the set. Just really tired.

Here's my break-in situation. I'm using the D-Nice settings, but I have my DVD player running composite video to Input 3 on the side of the panel---I want to keep my AVR out of the loop so it doesn't have to be on for 150 hours.

Here's my question. This isn't a problem for the long term, is it? There is noticeable noise in the "picture" due to the crummy composite connection (everything looks fine when I ran through HDMI via the receiver). This video noise isn't going to cause a problem for the set over the course of break-in will it? I can't imagine the pixels give a d**n they're getting a crummy feed, but I'm paranoid here, and want to be sure it won't be a problem after 150 hours of break-in.

Thanks for listening. I am 99.99999% sure I'm fine, but I need to resolve my nagging doubt----I've waited soooooooooo long for this moment; the last thing I want to do is screw up my set permanently during the break in process. If need be, I'll re-route my HDMI or go on a scavenger hunt for a long s-video cable, but I'd rather not----it's hard to get to the wires on the back of my set.
post #1087 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Team Kuro,

After a year of lurking on this forum, I finally have an HD TVand so far I'm very satisfied with my decision. I won't even begin to list the different panels I've considered over the past year, butso farit looks like waiting for the 5020 was the right choice.

A great thank-you to Robert at ****************; the purchase and delivery process was extremely smooth. And rapid. The first estimate of late June became July 19th (tomorrow). Then Monday I got a call that the panel would be delivered yesterday afternoon. Yesterday morning it was delivered.

I'm still going through the break-in process, so these are just some early and half-formed impressions, but I know there are quite a few folks out there waiting to hear from 5020 owners. I'm not an AV professional, but I hope this post helps. I will post again once I complete the break-in process.

The Box: Not in Great Shape, but Fortunately a Happy Ending

Yesterday I posted from work that my wife told me that the box had some slight damage. She underplayed it. About an eighth of the length of the box was ripped open. There were several, small punctures along the edges. Two corners were partially collapsed.

I wouldn't describe it as major damage, but it wasn't minorthat's for sure. I was worried. Really worried. But everything turned out fine. Looks like the internal packaging did its job and protected the panel.

I was also very happy with how the panel was packaged. The stand was attached! A friend of mine set up his 50 Panasonic 800 series last weekend and had to attach the stand himself. He actually had to take the panel out of the box to get it into the elevator of his apartment, but that's a different story. . . .

No Major Defects!

I am very grateful that I was spared any immediately noticeable major defects. Screen was perfectly intact, despite the damage to the box. No dead pixels. A few pixels were stuck on red when I first powered up the unit, but they resolved themselves almost immediately. I was watching Discovery HD when I was setting up the unit, and they went away within a minute or so.

The BuzzMuch Ado About Nothing (For Me)

Yes, it buzzes. But it's not a problem. It is noticeable if I stand right in front of the panel. But I don't hear it from my seating position (nine feet away), at least when watching TV at even a relatively low volume. From other reports, the buzz varies depending on room acoustics, so YMMV on thisbut for me it's a non-issue.

The only thing I may adjust in response to the (limited) buzz is my music listening habits. Usually I keep the TV on so I can play with the GUI of my AVR, but that may change if I can hear the buzz during low passages of classical music. I keep my computer (in the same room) shut down when listening to music to eliminate the hum of its fan, so I do care about these thingsby no means am I hearing impaired.

The Stand

Lousy. It has this tin feeling to it, and mine is warpedone corner is a bit high, so you can rock the unit (slightly) if you try. But I tested the top of the screen with a level (it's perfect), and I attached the metal brackets on each endI'm not worried it's going to tip, although I may screw the unit to the wall as the instructions recommend if I get around to it.

I suppose the stand (like the speakerssee next) is a great place to cut costs, but this is a bit of a disappointment.

Sound

Ahem. While I respect personal preference, I am in the camp that believes that a good sound system is not optional. It's AV people, not aV or just V!

I mounted the speaker bar. I listened. And I promptly removed it.

I actually took it off because I needed room to run my center channel speaker wire through the stand. But I could have gotten the bar back on (I probably could have squeezed the wire into the gap above the speaker beneath the bezel where the rubber flap runs). But I won't bother. My center channel obscures the infamous chicken legs, so that's not an issue for me.

This isn't a knock on Pioneer. It's just the way it is with TV speakers. Maybe some folks don't care or actually feel that the sound is good from the bar speakerbut not me.

The Viewing Experience So Far (Saving the Best For Last. . . )

Well, by the time I got home from work, got the unit out of the box and on to the stand, re-wired/re-configured my AVR, and got through the initial set-up I was pretty tired and I had a headache. But I had to watch something before I started running the break-in disc! And things do look very good. I used D-Nice's reference settings in movie mode; didn't have enough time or patience to experiment last night. But vivid (or whatever it's called. . .) really sucks. The picture difference was night and day (and I mean that. ) when I switched to movie mode.

HDTV, as widely reported, varies tremendously. The Final's looked great (of course, the score helped. ), baseball on NESN looked great. In my brief surfing of the HD channels things varied from the very good to so-so. I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactic that I had recorded on my DVR from SciFi HD (I have a Comcast Motorola DCH with the TiVo software), and it was pretty good. But it was odd at pointsit was almost as if some scenes were filmed in HD and some were not. But this wasn't the Kuro's problem. I had my box set to 720p (bloody thing doesn't have a native setting), so I'm going to experiment in the future to see if that setting or 1080i is the way to go. I'm going to try and figure out what looks worsea 720p channel sent from the box as 1080i or a 1080i channel sent from the box at 720p.

I also watched a few scenes from Gladiator on DVD piped through my Oppo 980 and upscaled to 1080p. Looked fantastic, as good I could expect from a standard DVD. I'll experiment more later to see if the player or the panel does a better job, but I have no complaints with the job done by the Oppo.

I don't have Blu-ray. Yet.

So, overall, the picture is great so far. Never did I see video flaws of any kind. And the colors looked fine to me, including the greensnothing looked fishy with the grass of the baseball game or the Celtic's uniforms. But again, this is just an early report. I'll give more detailed impressions later. And I will post pictures.
post #1088 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM

What wall mount is everyone using for the 6020? I was looking at the Peerless ST670 online but from peerless website for the 6010, it has a "Kitted Model - includes adapter plate". I see they have a ONE-TP that fits 23" to 84". I also see Sanus VMPL3 fits 6020. Any preferences?
Thanks
post #1089 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Well, my 6020 from Robert at **************** came today and it was CRACKED!!! It was heartbreaking to unpack and see how shiny and beautiful it is, and how big it is (it is bigger than you think it will be), and then to see the crack. Oh the humanity.

I called Robert who instructed me to refuse delivery. The delivery man and I packed it up and I sent him off with it. I did not sign anything.

The good news is Robert said he would probably be able to get another one to me tomorrow!

Blastronaut
post #1090 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM

qthai99, we use Peerless ST670 mounts for all of our tilting 60" Kuros and the wall mount comes with the wall plate and brackets that mount on the TV. Nothing else to buy. This mount can be secured to three studs for extra security.

SubArctic, thanks for your kind words.

Blastronaut, correct your advance replacement is in route to you from our FL distribution facility.

Enjoy!

-Robert
post #1091 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastronaut View Post

Well, my 6020 from Robert at **************** came today and it was CRACKED!!! It was heartbreaking to unpack and see how shiny and beautiful it is, and how big it is (it is bigger than you think it will be), and then to see the crack. Oh the humanity.

I called Robert who instructed me to refuse delivery. The delivery man and I packed it up and I sent him off with it. I did not sign anything.

The good news is Robert said he would probably be able to get another one to me tomorrow!

Blastronaut

Man that sucks I ordered mine yesterday and im nervous about it arriving in perfect condition. Good to hear you already got another on the way though!

Here's to my first one and your second arriving in good shape!

PSN: DaveS78
post #1092 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks Robert,

I just placed my order with Wendy at ****************. I'm so excited, yet terrified with all these cracking screens! I better download that breakin dvd now.
post #1093 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qthai99 View Post

Thanks Robert,

I just placed my order with Wendy at ****************. I'm so excited, yet terrified with all these cracking screens! I better download that breakin dvd now.

I ordered my DVD Monday before I ever ordered the TV

PSN: DaveS78
post #1094 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

yes, the 6020 has fans but if you stick it into an enclosed cubby hole type cabinet that has very little spacing on the sides/top and no other air circulation such as fans or open back it would be much more subject to heat related damage or shorten the life span.

plus if there was a warranty issue you wouldn't want the sevice tech to report that it was housed in such a situation.

nanorush, i would get a thermometer and sit behind your 6020 in the cabinet enclosure to check what temps are getting back there.

Hi dssturbo1,

Thanks for your feedback. I checked behind my TV today after it was running for the entire night with burn-in DVD and found the air behind and around to be cool. It did not seem to be hot at all. I did not have a thermometer
handy, but would check later tonight.

I will keep a close tab on it.
post #1095 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Hi Robert, thanks.

They will deliver it tomorrow?

Blastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

qthai99, we use Peerless ST670 mounts for all of our tilting 60" Kuros and the wall mount comes with the wall plate and brackets that mount on the TV. Nothing else to buy. This mount can be secured to three studs for extra security.

SubArctic, thanks for your kind words.

Blastronaut, correct your advance replacement is in route to you from our FL distribution facility.

Enjoy!

-Robert

post #1096 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Robert,

As long as you ordered from a Forum Sponser you will be fine, even if you get a broken screen. I got two in the last two months, my first 700U and my first 6020, needless to say I wasn't happy but I just refused delivery, called the Sponser I bought from, and they sent me out a new one the next day. Good luck, and make sure you look over the glass with a flash-light, some of these cracks can be very hard to see, others not so much.
post #1097 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Hey all,

Been reading for a while but recently joined and this is first post. My 5020 arrives in the morning, about an hour before I leave on a business trip. I would like to get the TV intalled on the wall before I go which means pre-hanging the mount tonight. In order to do this right, I need to know the arrangement of the mounting bolt holes on the back of the panel, specifically distance from top, bottom, and side edges of the TV. Can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help? Thanx.

Pat
post #1098 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubArctic View Post

Team Kuro,

The Viewing Experience So Far (Saving the Best For Last. . . )

Well, by the time I got home from work, got the unit out of the box and on to the stand, re-wired/re-configured my AVR, and got through the initial set-up I was pretty tired and I had a headache. But I had to watch something before I started running the break-in disc! And things do look very good. I used D-Nice’s reference settings in movie mode; didn’t have enough time or patience to experiment last night. But “vivid” (or whatever it’s called. . .) really sucks. The picture difference was night and day (and I mean that. ) when I switched to movie mode.

HDTV, as widely reported, varies tremendously. The Final’s looked great (of course, the score helped. ), baseball on NESN looked great. In my brief surfing of the HD channels things varied from the very good to so-so. I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactic that I had recorded on my DVR from SciFi HD (I have a Comcast Motorola DCH with the TiVo software), and it was pretty good. But it was odd at points—it was almost as if some scenes were filmed in HD and some were not. But this wasn’t the Kuro’s problem. I had my box set to 720p (bloody thing doesn’t have a native setting), so I’m going to experiment in the future to see if that setting or 1080i is the way to go. I’m going to try and figure out what looks “worse”—a 720p channel sent from the box as 1080i or a 1080i channel sent from the box at 720p.

I also watched a few scenes from Gladiator on DVD piped through my Oppo 980 and upscaled to 1080p. Looked fantastic, as good I could expect from a standard DVD. I’ll experiment more later to see if the player or the panel does a better job, but I have no complaints with the job done by the Oppo.

I don’t have Blu-ray. Yet.

So, overall, the picture is great so far. Never did I see video flaws of any kind. And the colors looked fine to me, including the greens—nothing looked fishy with the grass of the baseball game or the Celtic’s uniforms. But again, this is just an early report. I’ll give more detailed impressions later. And I will post pictures.

SubArctic--can you get back to us with the oppo upscaling vs the TV. For me there is a night and day difference between setting the player at 480i or 1080p through hdmi directly to the tv. I almost feel like there is something wrong, it seems as if the tv is not doing any upscaling at all.

I also have the same issue with the cable box(SA 8300hd), I think 720p looks better than 1080i, at least on some channels. I watched every game of the Finals so far in 1080i with the exception of last night where I changed it to 720p. I feel like it looked just a bit better in 720p.
post #1099 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:

What wall mount is everyone using for the 6020? I was looking at the Peerless ST670 online but from peerless website for the 6010, it has a "Kitted Model - includes adapter plate". I see they have a ONE-TP that fits 23" to 84". I also see Sanus VMPL3 fits 6020. Any preferences?
Thanks

I am using the Peerless One-TP for my 6020.

In San Francisco earthquake country, it was important for me to secure the unit to 3 studs.

Also, the longer/wider wall plate allows for more "lateral" adjustment of the panel versus a 2 stud model.

The One-TP is a tilting model. So it will place the 6020 further away from the wall than the ST670. But consider (i) the 6020 manual which recommends 3 15/16" from a rear wall for adequate ventilation and (ii) that the HDMI inputs may cause panel to wall clearance problems if the 6020 is too close to the wall.

For all of the above reasons, the One-TP made more sense in my application.
post #1100 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManusDei View Post

Hey all,

Been reading for a while but recently joined and this is first post. My 5020 arrives in the morning, about an hour before I leave on a business trip. I would like to get the TV intalled on the wall before I go which means pre-hanging the mount tonight. In order to do this right, I need to know the arrangement of the mounting bolt holes on the back of the panel, specifically distance from top, bottom, and side edges of the TV. Can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help? Thanx.

Pat

Never mind, I found the answer. Pioneer has CAD drawings of their plasma sets here: pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home+Entertainment+Custom+Install/Detailed+Product+Information/ch.Plasma+Displays.Default
post #1101 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManusDei View Post

Hey all,

Pat

Pat -

No one could answer this for me when I asked about a week earlier. I got the 5020 in yesterday and measured them to be approx 19.5" wide. The height of the bolts, I don't remember. But I think they're close to about 13.5". I'm very sure about the width though.
post #1102 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
gm1

ylnad123 and subarctic
The Finals on ABC probably looked best with your cable box set to 720P because ABC broadcasts in 720P. When you watch it with the box set to 720P then the tv only has to scale the signal from 720P up to 1080P. If you watch a 720P show with the box set to 1080i then the box has to upscale to 1080P,then interlace the 1080P to 1080i and send it out of the box,and then the tv has to deinterlace the signal back to 1080P.
If you watch a 1080i show with the box set to 1080i then the the tv only has to deinterlace the 1080i to 1080P. If you watch a 1080i show with the box set to 720P, then the box has to upscale the 720P to 1080P,then interlace the 1080P to 1080i and send it out of the box as 1080i. The tv then has to deinterlace the 1080i back to 1080P
As you can see there are alot less operations needed if the box has a native mode then if you have to pick one resolution or the other.
I have a Motorola DVR and it doesn't have a native mode either. I experimented with 1080i and 720P and settled on 720P for my Kuro 5080 which is a 768P panel.
Enjoy your new TV's. I've had my 5080 for about 6 months and I have been very happy with it so far. The picture looks great so I'm sure this years models look even better with the improved black levels. Enjoy!!
post #1103 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM

Hi ya all,
I just received my 6020 which i ordered from ****************. Everything went smoothly with my order..

Everything is working fine and i am running the Break-in DVD as i write this. One quick question though.. Is it ok to run the DVD using regular AV cables? I can't seem to get the S-video to work.

I'll post photos in a couple of days..

Thanks
post #1104 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccgc View Post

Is it ok to run the DVD using regular AV cables? I can't seem to get the S-video to work.

Thanks

Yes
post #1105 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM

I just set up my 5020 for the break in period and burned the iso to dvd-here is my question: when I play the ISO image on my pc it is a flashing screen with different colors-when I play the burned disc it is a single color for about 20-30 seconds and then switches to another single color. What is correct? And if the dvd isn't correct, what am I doing wrong-I simply used DVDshrink to burn the image to dvd.
post #1106 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastronaut View Post

Blastronaut

For others, it might be worth asking the forum sponsor where the distributors are, as in possibly close to you, in case someone wanted to pick up a unit themselves, which is what I'm planning to do tommorrow.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #1107 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylnad123 View Post

For me there is a night and day difference between setting the player at 480i or 1080p through hdmi directly to the tv. I almost feel like there is something wrong, it seems as if the tv is not doing any upscaling at all.

On my 3G Pioneer plasma, each input resolution (480i/p, 720p, 1080i) has its own set of display settings stored (brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, wide/full/zoom, etc.).

I don't know if it's still the same with the much newer 8G and 9G sets, but you might want to double-check your display settings while sending 480i vs 1080p. By all accounts here, the Pioneer should do about as well as the best upconversion hardware currently available to the consumer. There might be some slight differences in sharpness, contrast, etc. though. I don't think there should be a "night and day difference". Watch out with that phrase around here, ylnad!

- LoopinFool
post #1108 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:26 PM

dobeman
The 20-30 sec solid/changing colors
post #1109 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsamish09 View Post

dobeman
The 20-30 sec solid/changing colors

Thanks
post #1110 of 15006 Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeman View Post

when I play the burned disc it is a single color for about 20-30 seconds and then switches to another single color. What is correct?

That's the correct playback. Use the DVD.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page