The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 386 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
bd1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb05 View Post

proud new owner of a elite 151. its on a sanus vmdd26 mount. its a little scary floating out off the wall two feet. picked the display up at BB for low 4G with delivery, i guess you cant beat that.

Congrats Johnny Very good deal too !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb05 View Post

proud new owner of a elite 151....

Congrats on the purchase, but you may want to post this in the Elite thread...you're in the NON-Elite thread!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Hey gang: wanted to post this some time ago and forgot. Anyway, I used this to mount my 6020 and it turned out SUPERB! I can turn, tilt, flush mount or drag out the display 14" just by grabbing (gently of course!) the display by the sides. Even though it was guaranteed to fit ANY display and I ended up needing to have them overnight special spacers, it is still well worth it's price.

http://levelmount.com/p-91-level-mou...-and-200-.aspx

got it at a "s" club for round $150.

here's the number to order the needed spacers you'll ABSOLUTELY need: Customer Service Desk at 1-888-229-1459...they shipped them for free overnight to me at my insistance, seeing my $5000 TV was sitting on the couch due to a "guaranteed to fit" mount that didn't. Man was I HOT!!!

Anyways, I never usually do this, but for the price, the thing is unbelievably well-constructed and surprisingly easy to install (you'll need someone else though, as it's quite heavy...as is the 6020 )

good luck.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Congrats on the purchase, but you may want to post this in the Elite thread...you're in the NON-Elite thread!

He made a mistake but was it REALLY so important? back atcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Hey gang: wanted to post this some time ago and forgot. Anyway, I used this to mount my 6020 and it turned out SUPERB! I can turn, tilt, flush mount or drag out the display 14" just by grabbing (gently of course!) the display by the sides. Even though it was guaranteed to fit ANY display and I ended up needing to have them overnight special spacers, it is still well worth it's price.

http://levelmount.com/p-91-level-mou...-and-200-.aspx

got it at a "s" club for round $150.

here's the number to order the needed spacers: you'll ABSOLUTELY need: Customer Service Desk at 1-888-229-1459...they shipped them for free overnight to me at my insistance, seeing my $5000 TV was sitting on the couch due to a "guaranteed to fit" mount that didn't. Man was I HOT!!!

Anyways, I never usually do this, but for the price, the thing is unbelievably well-constructed and surprisingly easy to install (you'll need someone else though, as it's quite heavy...as is the 6020 )

You learned the hard way, as I did last summer, that the mounting brackets required for the 6020 are non-standard, to say the least. My Bello mounting system came without the proper mounting bars and I had to wait until Bello could have them fabricated by their factory and send them to me. Anyway, Bello came through and once I had the right brackets I was able to mount my 6020 on the Bello mounting system without incident. Let me echo, though, that the 6020 is relatively heavy and clumsy to handle. Because of that, I enlisted the aid of my yard maintenance guy and one of his helpers to do the mounting. We had no trouble but it would have been impossible to do it alone.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

He made a mistake but was it REALLY so important? back atcha.

Just trying to be helpful and steering him to the other thread...why isn't that one stickied any longer?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM

where's the best place to buy a 5020FD?

bestbuyplasma?

-Adam
Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Proud new owner of a 6020fd I purchased from best buy recently (about two weeks ago, last one they said they are getting ) I've never had a set calibrated before and I'm thinking of getting this one calibrated. What all do I need to do? (Follow the break in procedure first I'm assuming) Any recommendations on who to call? I don't think I want to try and fool with calibrating it myself (if that's possible). I don't want to screw anything up since Pioneer isn't going to make anymore of these tvs. I also bought the Best Buy protection plan. Should I even fool with getting it calibrated? Will it void that protection plan? (i guess that may be a best buy question ) About how much does this usually cost?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This may be a silly question, but will I notice an increase in picture quality by going with a 4ft hdmi cable instead of 6ft? I'll be ordering from monoprice, and I currently have a 6ft which my blu-rays look phenomenal on my 5020.

But, I have a new cabinet and can use a shorter cable. Seeing as they aren't expensive, I figured I'd ask here.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

This may be a silly question, but will I notice an increase in picture quality by going with a 4ft hdmi cable instead of 6ft? I'll be ordering from monoprice, and I currently have a 6ft which my blu-rays look phenomenal on my 5020.

But, I have a new cabinet and can use a shorter cable. Seeing as they aren't expensive, I figured I'd ask here.

no, but it sure does help with the cable craze

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 05-27-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

I've replaced heavy Monoprice 6' HDMI cables for 28AWG 2' cables because it reduced the cable rats nest as I moved everything to a rack. I didn't notice any change in PQ. Neither did UMR when he recalibrated last week.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

... will I notice an increase in picture quality by going with a 4ft hdmi cable instead of 6ft?

It's digital. You have it or you don't. Longer runs (> 25' or so) are reported to do better with heavier (> 28g) cable and Monoprice has specific suggestions for their switches. The required bandwidth (HDMI version) may also come into play. The 9G is v1.3.

You can also take the opportunity to get a color other than black.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
need some feedback here.

looking for a stand/mount for my 5020

costco has 2 i like, the avista (item #409962) which can accomodate flat
panels up to 55" and 110 lbs.

or the walker edison (item #395532) which can take up to a 50" panel and 150 lbs.

both swivel and tilt, and are the same $299 price.

which would you get and why?

thanks for the comments

neflixis our nemesis
Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Liked: 26
I just installed the new firmware update on my 5020. It seems that it may have caused some issues with the HDMI Control settings. I have the input setting set to input 5 and that is where I have a Sony BDP S350 bluray player hooked up via an HDMI cable. Power on and Power off are both turned on. Below those settings there is power on and power off test option. Both of these are grayed out. I know at one point I was able to test the power options in this menu. Additionally when I switch to input 5 on the TV and turn on the bluray player an error message appears that says the device cannot be operated, please check connection. The message flash's a few times and disappears. The bluray player works fine. I talked to Pioneer and they said it must be the bluray player and that a firmware update wouldn't have caused this. I beg to differ since any software update can cause minor or major issues in the real world. Did Pioneer release a firmware update with bugs? Does anyone else have this similar setup? Has anyone experienced these issues? The bluray player has an HDMI control setting and that was on. I have it turned off now and this resolved the error message problem. The bottom line is that I can't use the HDMI control settings now because they are non functional. Also the HDMI control settings that you access from the home menu are also deactivated/grayed out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

I just installed the new firmware update on my 5020. It seems that it may have caused some issues with the HDMI Control settings. I have the input setting set to input 5 and that is where I have a Sony BDP S350 bluray player hooked up via an HDMI cable. Power on and Power off are both turned on. Below those settings there is power on and power off test option. Both of these are grayed out. I know at one point I was able to test the power options in this menu. Additionally when I switch to input 5 on the TV and turn on the bluray player an error message appears that says the device cannot be operated, please check connection. The message flash's a few times and disappears. The bluray player works fine. I talked to Pioneer and they said it must be the bluray player and that a firmware update wouldn't have caused this. I beg to differ since any software update can cause minor or major issues in the real world. Did Pioneer release a firmware update with bugs? Does anyone else have this similar setup? Has anyone experienced these issues? The bluray player has an HDMI control setting and that was on. I have it turned off now and this resolved the error message problem. The bottom line is that I can't use the HDMI control settings now because they are non functional. Also the HDMI control settings that you access from the home menu are also deactivated/grayed out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried to back-rev the firmware to the 1/22/2009 version to validate your theory?

In my experience, the HDMI control settings have always been problematic. I simply keep them turned off.

A_C

Manhattan Supremacist
Old 05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the firmware that I am running, and I also have my HDMI for the BluRay player hooked to input 5. I am not experiencing any of your problems.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Hello all,

Proud new owner of a 6020 here, and as it cycles through hour ~40 of the recommended break in, I thought I'd swing by to read up.

My apologies in advance for what is admittedly a really simple question:

Most of my components now are 1080p, but I have a Comcast DVR on which I can set the output resolution to 720p or 1080i. I was wondering, with which setting would I get the best PQ. (As good as it can be anyway - I know that the compressed signals that cable companies shove down our throats are generally terrible).

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by minazaki View Post

... I have a Comcast DVR on which I can set the output resolution to 720p or 1080i. I was wondering, with which setting would I get the best PQ.

The native resolution of all HDTV sources other than ABC, Fox, and ESPN is 1080i. A lot of people just leave their STB set to output 1080i for that reason. That's what I do.

If you have a STB that is able to automatically output the native resolution, 480i, 720p, 0r 1080i of each TV source then that will theoretically give you the best results if your TV is better at conversion than the STB. The fly in that ointment is that there is a HDMI handshake every time you change to a channel with a different resolution. Those handshakes cause a 2-3 second scramble of the image which irritates a lot of people.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I too have my Motorola box set to 1080i output, and feel it gives the better picture to the panel. Hopefully some day Verizon will utilize a box that allows pass through, but for now, this is okay.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM

I'll post this on the Calibrating thread also.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...p?t=78&page=15

It seems most people are simply calibrating MOVIE (or using offsets) with Pure Cinema: OFF and again with Pure Cinema: Advanced.

I've heard that with the new version of ControlCal, we can calibrate two different A/V modes.

For instance you can have A/V Mode: MOVIE calibrated with Pure Cinema: Advanced and the color temperature at 6500k. This could be used this for critical viewing and Blu-Ray. I suspect it brings the color temperature higher in the other modes and possible renders them useless. (especially SPORT)

You can also Calibrated one other mode. So say you calibrate A/V MODE: STANDARD with Pure Cinema: OFF and brought the temperature to 7100k. This would be used for daytime viewing, 480i, 1080i, 720p. (This would make MOVIE unwatchable in 60hz as it would bring down the temp too much)

One of my hopes was that I could have a setting that could be a kind of set it and forget it. I was hoping that I could get one of the A/V modes calibrated with Pure Cinema: STANDARD so that we could still get 72hz when watching blu-ray. The problem with this seems to be that if we have already calibrated MOVIE with Pure Cinema: Advanced (72hz) and you then calibrate A/V Mode: STANDARD with Pure Cinema: Standard (60hz), when we try to get 72hz, it would bump the color temperature since 72hz is already calibrated in PC: Advanced. I hope this makes sense and of course this asumes that Pure Cinema: STANDARD is the one that can do 72hz from 1080p.

So my question is has anyone else calibrated two different modes, so that they could get a brighter temp for regular viewing?

I suspect we can't simply calibrate MOVIE mode in 60hz at a color temperature of say 7100k with Pure Cinema: OFF and then in 72hz with a color temp of 6500k with Pure CINEMA: Advanced? I just wanted confirmation as I'm pretty sure we can't.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The native resolution of all HDTV sources other than ABC, Fox, and ESPN is 1080i. A lot of people just leave their STB set to output 1080i for that reason. That's what I do.

If you have a STB that is able to automatically output the native resolution, 480i, 720p, 0r 1080i of each TV source then that will theoretically give you the best results if your TV is better at conversion than the STB. The fly in that ointment is that there is a HDMI handshake every time you change to a channel with a different resolution. Those handshakes cause a 2-3 second scramble of the image which irritates a lot of people.

I, too, have found that the PQ of 720p transmissions looks better, to my eyes at least, when I set my TiVo Series 3 to display the native resolution of the program being telecast and let my Yamaha RX-V3900 upconvert it to 1080p. Unfortunately, my S3 lost its Native setting and reverted to 1080i Fixed every time I turned on my system when it was connected to the 3900 via HDMI. I was able to solve the problem by simply using component video and Toslink audio connections to the 3900 instead of HDMI. The PQ is unaffected because the S3's maximum resolution is 1080i, which component cables handle as well as HDMI handles 1080i.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I suspect we can't simply calibrate MOVIE mode in 60hz at a color temperature of say 7100k with Pure Cinema: OFF and then in 72hz with a color temp of 6500k with Pure CINEMA: Advanced? I just wanted confirmation as I'm pretty sure we can't.

Sure you can, but you'll give up all other AV modes (unless you prefer ~9000k color temps on standard or ~9500k for game). The temps on all AV modes will go up when movie is calibrated to 6500k and if not already unwatchable, all other AV modes will definitely be unwatchable if movie is bumped up to 7100k.

Personally, I would calibrate a different AV mode on the 60Hz side (game) but you can calibrate the movie grayscale to two different color temps for 60Hz/72Hz.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

That's the firmware that I am running, and I also have my HDMI for the BluRay player hooked to input 5. I am not experiencing any of your problems.

Are you using a Pioneer bluray or another brand?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i sent KCinWhitby an email, but i'll reiterate here for all to read

7100K is more BLUE than 6500K (not brighter)
same as 6000K is more RED, not darker

the difference in the PC modes is not only the colour temp, but the gamma curve and contrast/brightness, which is pretty close to 2.2 and a fairly smooth curve for MOVIE and i have to assume not 2.2 and not a nice curve for the other modes (i have calibrated 2 sets in the past week for MOVIE for all PC modes and the picture was excellent for both 30fps & 24fps i.e. no crushed black/whites)
if anyone has measured the gamma curve for the other modes i would be curious to see the results
if contrast/brightness are set the same for each mode and there seems to a difference in perceived brightness, then it is probably the gamma curve

so the point i am trying to make, is don't think that grayscale has anything to do with brightness, it is the underlying colour palette and has to do with colour accuracy
in the above example, if the colour temp was 7100K, every colour reproduced has a slight BLUE tinge that cannot be removed with the COLOR/TINT controls
SPORT mode is made BLUE, because it makes ice look really bright, but artificially so
once you get used to accurate colours (which may require some time), i doubt you would want to change to any other mode and not have accurate colours

mark

PS i sent the values for 30fps into the 24fps table and altho they were close, they still required a little tweaking to get D65, so the grayscales are not identical with the same values

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I'll post this on the Calibrating thread also.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...p?t=78&page=15

It seems most people are simply calibrating MOVIE (or using offsets) with Pure Cinema: OFF and again with Pure Cinema: Advanced.

I've heard that with the new version of ControlCal, we can calibrate two different A/V modes.

For instance you can have A/V Mode: MOVIE calibrated with Pure Cinema: Advanced and the color temperature at 6500k. This could be used this for critical viewing and Blu-Ray. I suspect it brings the color temperature higher in the other modes and possible renders them useless. (especially SPORT)

You can also Calibrated one other mode. So say you calibrate A/V MODE: STANDARD with Pure Cinema: OFF and brought the temperature to 7100k. This would be used for daytime viewing, 480i, 1080i, 720p. (This would make MOVIE unwatchable in 60hz as it would bring down the temp too much)

One of my hopes was that I could have a setting that could be a kind of set it and forget it. I was hoping that I could get one of the A/V modes calibrated with Pure Cinema: STANDARD so that we could still get 72hz when watching blu-ray. The problem with this seems to be that if we have already calibrated MOVIE with Pure Cinema: Advanced (72hz) and you then calibrate A/V Mode: STANDARD with Pure Cinema: Standard (60hz), when we try to get 72hz, it would bump the color temperature since 72hz is already calibrated in PC: Advanced. I hope this makes sense and of course this asumes that Pure Cinema: STANDARD is the one that can do 72hz from 1080p.

So my question is has anyone else calibrated two different modes, so that they could get a brighter temp for regular viewing?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post

Have you tried to back-rev the firmware to the 1/22/2009 version to validate your theory?

In my experience, the HDMI control settings have always been problematic. I simply keep them turned off.

A_C

I tried to install the 1/22/09 firmware but the tv doesn't allow you to revert to an older version of firmware
Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

Are you using a Pioneer bluray or another brand?

I have the new Oppo player. As stated above, turn off that silly HDMI control stuff for any equipment you have. It's worthless, and causes more problems than what it is supposed to do in reality.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

need some feedback here.

looking for a stand/mount for my 5020

costco has 2 i like, the avista (item #409962) which can accomodate flat
panels up to 55" and 110 lbs.

or the walker edison (item #395532) which can take up to a 50" panel and 150 lbs.

both swivel and tilt, and are the same $299 price.

which would you get and why?

thanks for the comments

bump, anyone?

neflixis our nemesis
Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 PM

I'm looking for a wall mount to my PRO-151FD preferably a tilt.
Do brand name wall mount really matter? I was looking at the ones monoprice have unfortunately all don't support PRO-151FD. Appreciate it
Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if any one who is local to the bay area, who has wall mounted a 6020, would be willing to give me their stand pipes......?

I have a 151 and could not stand the speakers on the side so I was able to get a 6020 bottom mount speaker, However I need the stand pipes to raise the tv a couple of inches to actually mount it

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, I of course will drive to wherever you are and pick them up..

TIA

Nick
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM

I have a question...I noticed everyone gets their sets calibrated using the Movie AV Selection. Is it just me or does the Movie AV seem to have more of a yellowish tone to it.

Maybe that's more "natural" but too me it seems the colors are just a bit yellowish in the Movie AV mode...

And a question about ControlCal... I just donate $60 to them and they'll know to send me the bundle with the adapter cable and such?

Does ControlCal allow access to the service menu to get the adjustments D-nice mentioned?

Service Menu RGB Offsets
R-High: +25
G-High: -5
B-High: +51
R-Low: 0
G-Low: 0
B-Low: 0

Sorry I'm just really confused how to do the ControlCal stuff and/or how it works. I downloaded the program and installed it (didn't donate or anything yet) but I don't see where you'd put in those RGB offsets. And I'm wondering what all the user preference stuff is since there's no mention of it in D-nice's suggested settings on the first page of this thread...
Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

The yellowish color will be corrected by proper calibration of the grayscale, which is possible via controlcal. I think you need to pay for controlcal to get the display profile necessary to calibrate the set, the software itself doesn't cost, but the profile does.

Maybe Turbe or someone else more familiar with ControlCAL can weigh in on this point.

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com