The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11611 of 15008 Old 05-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched and cannot find out how to use two separate inputs for pip??

Help...there is nothing in the manual either...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 15008 Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For anyone who can answer this: is it known if ControlCAL is compatible with Windows 7? I plan on installing the RC soon but don't want to lose my CC. I would like to avoid partitioning my HD and having two OS installed if possible.

post #11613 of 15008 Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post

Sure, the manual tells you how to use it, it starts on page 61. You have to use the TV's tuner as one source, then an external device (STB or similar) for the other source.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11614 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

You're asking how to handle standard dvd player?

Not a whole lot you have to do. Given the choice go HDMI over component. Go with 480p out (480i would be even better) so that Kuro can do the upscaling. Compare that with 1080p out from your DVD player just to see if it can do any better although it probably won't if any difference is visible at all.

For av mode take a look and Movie Mode and then Optimum Mode for comparison. For specific settings take a look at the Kuro Settings thread here. Congrats & enjoy a great new PDP.

I'm running a Sony 350 blueray player. The player upscales standard DVDs much better than my 5020 does. I think you just need to try it both ways to see what looks best with your particular player.
post #11615 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Sure, the manual tells you how to use it, it starts on page 61. You have to use the TV's tuner as one source, then an external device (STB or similar) for the other source.

This is correct. To put it more bluntly, Pioneer in its wisdom failed to give the Kuros the ability to use two external inputs for PIP. In TVs as expensive as the Kuros that was inexcusable, it seems to me. Nevertheless, there it is. I have found that the limitation of PIP having to ALWAYS use the internal tuner as one of its sources has rendered the PIP feature useless for all practical purposes.
post #11616 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 AM

Yes I agree...I have always used two inputs for pip...and now I find I can't use it at all as i don't hook anything up to the internal tuner.

I guess the pip feature has gone the way of the dodo bird...as the new Panasonics don't feature pip at all.
post #11617 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think PIP will come back in cable boxes / tivos ... they now have the power to do pip with 2 hd channels. Gone are the days where you use the TV for PIP unless cablecard because more standard.
post #11618 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 09:27 AM

I do have pip capability in my dual tuner satellite pvr...but when recording on one tuner...and watching another...I like to use an old sat receiver for pip...and keep a hockey game in the corner...damn...I really wish there was a way around this!
post #11619 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nortons View Post

I'm running a Sony 350 blueray player. The player upscales standard DVDs much better than my 5020 does. I think you just need to try it both ways to see what looks best with your particular player.

yeah when I first got my 5020, I set my dvd player to output 480i and let the 5020 upscale. One of my kids dvds looked terrible doing it this way and I switched back to letting my dvd(Toshiba A2) player upscale to 1080i and it looked a lot better.

edit: pioneer seems to do well at de-interlacing but its upscaling seems so-so
post #11620 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

For anyone who can answer this: is it known if ControlCAL is compatible with Windows 7? I plan on installing the RC soon but don't want to lose my CC. I would like to avoid partitioning my HD and having two OS installed if possible.

I know I already replied.. there shouldn't be any problems running on Windows 7. I downloaded that myself, just have not installed it.

However, I do have a suggestions for you.. I would only run Windows 7 in a dual boot environment (due to time out and the fact this is a RC Build). Just my 2 cents..

I'm planning on installing it on my Netbook on a 2nd partition. I may also install OS X on that Netbook too but I will keep XP on the Primary Partition.

Initial reports indicate Windows 7 will be/is the O/S for Netbooks - vs XP (and Vista which is terrible on Netbooks).

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #11621 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

This is correct. To put it more bluntly, Pioneer in its wisdom failed to give the Kuros the ability to use two external inputs for PIP.

Unless you have a monitor (101 et.al.).
post #11622 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Is there a coax in on the back of the 5020?

Just wondering if you could do the channel 3 thing.
post #11623 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a coax in on the back of the 5020?

Just wondering if you could do the channel 3 thing.

Yeah there's a typical RF connector. But for what, PiP? Most (new Motorola) STB's won't work using RF. I tried that a few months ago and there was no GUI, no on-screen guide, and couldn't pickup most channels. They have to be hooked up using component or HDMI to have all those STB features.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11624 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post

I think PIP will come back in cable boxes / tivos ... they now have the power to do pip with 2 hd channels. Gone are the days where you use the TV for PIP unless cablecard because more standard.

The Motorola STB's have had PiP for a long time now, it's even listed in the features at the Motorola spec pages. But the idiot providers like Cox DISABLE it!

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11625 of 15008 Old 05-31-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

This is correct. To put it more bluntly, Pioneer in its wisdom failed to give the Kuros the ability to use two external inputs for PIP. In TVs as expensive as the Kuros that was inexcusable, it seems to me.

For its price there should be dual tuners like the Olevia 742/747i so no external device would have to be used.

Quote:

I have found that the limitation of PIP having to ALWAYS use the internal tuner as one of its sources has rendered the PIP feature useless for all practical purposes.

Why is that? I haven't tried PiP on mine yet, but as I understand it the incoming coax line would have to be split with one going to the TV's RF input (limited to only basic cable as one PiP source), the the other line to the STB and it's HDMI out going to the TV's HDMI in as the other PiP source. Are you saying that would not work?

Technically the manual says only one source can be "external", but if you had a second STB, (an old one that would fully work on RF), it could be used. You'd hook the RF out on it to the TV's RF in, put the TV on ch. 3 then use the old STB's tuner. That way an "internal" source is essentially still being used, but always on ch. 3, and as a "carrier" only for the old STB. That way at least you would not be limited to basic cable going into the TV's RF input, and you'd be able to watch two premium cable channels at the same time with PiP.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11626 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 AM

I think what he is saying...is that a lot of people...me included...don't use the tuner in the tv...we use the external inputs only...satellite, cable boxes etc.

My old rptv could use two external inputs for pip...making pip a far superior and useful feature for us as it's exactly what I need.
post #11627 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM

On another note...

In the Optimum setting, the manual states that the 5020 adjusts the picture if there are any changes to lighting in the room...ei light on...light off.

In any case...I can't seem to find any sensor on the front of the tv...does anyone know where it is located?
post #11628 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On another note...

In the Optimum setting, the manual states that the 5020 adjusts the picture if there are any changes to lighting in the room...ei light on...light off.

In any case...I can't seem to find any sensor on the front of the tv...does anyone know where it is located?

See enclosure.

A_C
LL

Manhattan Supremacist
post #11629 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks for letting me know where it is...but I still can't see it...must be old eye syndrome
post #11630 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 PM

I have a computer connected through a dvi-hdmi cable with the output resoultion set to 1080p and the screen size on the input set to dot-by-bot yet I seem to get some intermittent overscan. Any suggestions?
post #11631 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Do you have the orbiter set to mode 2? That can cause the screen to shift and hide the edges.
post #11632 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 PM

Yes! thanks.
post #11633 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think what he is saying...is that a lot of people...me included...don't use the tuner in the tv...we use the external inputs only...satellite, cable boxes etc.

My old rptv could use two external inputs for pip...making pip a far superior and useful feature for us as it's exactly what I need.

I know, I understand, but what I'm saying and what the manual is saying is that you have to use the TV's internal tuner (or other method I described) in order to use PiP. I agree it's stupid. Apparently all TV manufacturers now believe no one has the desire nor deserves the choice to watch 2 TV programs at once!

Dual tuners used to be pretty common in hi-end TV's, but not anymore. What's even more stupid is Panasonic has totally removed PiP period. I guess they expect you to use two TV's. I guess that could put to use our now-useless-for-OTA-NTSC-tuner portable LCD TV's, if you have cable.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11634 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekstink View Post

I'm looking for a wall mount to my PRO-151FD preferably a tilt.
Do brand name wall mount really matter? I was looking at the ones monoprice have unfortunately all don't support PRO-151FD. Appreciate it

I have the Omnimount ULPT-L for my 500M and its great- here is a link for the XL version for the 60" at a great price....

http://www.shopbiglots.com/product/i...ductId=3340828
post #11635 of 15008 Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know where it is...but I still can't see it...must be old eye syndrome

Hold a flashlight up to it and you can see it.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11636 of 15008 Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 AM

I have a calibrator coming on Thursday and he agreed to calibrate both STANDARD and then GAME with Pure Cinema: OFF (60hz) at 7000k to let me decide what one to keep for my 60hz calibration.

I have another question, (I alway do), right now I am using D-NICE Offsets in MOVIE and the picture is pretty good. So I must be getting a really bright (high temp) GAME and SPORT now. I am going to have Pure Cinema: Advanced calibrated in MOVIE for the 72hz.

Is there anything stopping me from using GAME or SPORT or STANDARD in that mode. Other than the high temperature, any reason you would not watch 480i or 1080i in PC: Advanced?
post #11637 of 15008 Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM
bd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I have a calibrator coming on Thursday and he agreed to calibrate both STANDARD and then GAME with Pure Cinema: OFF (60hz) at 7000k to let me decide what one to keep for my 60hz calibration.

I have another question, (I alway do), right now I am using D-NICE Offsets in MOVIE and the picture is pretty good. So I must be getting a really bright (high temp) GAME and SPORT now. I am going to have Pure Cinema: Advanced calibrated in MOVIE for the 72hz.

Is there anything stopping me from using GAME or SPORT or STANDARD in that mode. Other than the high temperature, any reason you would not watch 480i or 1080i in PC: Advanced?

I think it's a good idea to have different AV modes calibrated, then compare against recorded scenes from your dvr prior to final set. Make sure you write down final RGB #/offsets for each mode, then you can always go back & switch later if you so choose.

Another way is separate modes for day/night (I adjusted Movie mode for cleaner white but only use it in total darkness or BW - my adjustments were actually to benefit daytime use w/ Performance.)

As far as PC modes, I've found Advanced had some issues w/ skips/drops on 480/1080i material so may be very good on BD but may not work well for cable. I would calibrate both 60 & 72, then maybe just leave PC mode on Standard & let TV adjust itself.
post #11638 of 15008 Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM

quick question... i just got a 6020 delivered this past saturday and haven't been quite sure what exactly i should do as far as this "break in" stuff i see/read about on here.

i went into the picture settings and changed it to the ones listed on the 1st page by D-Nice... then i put in Planet Earth (BR) and set it to repeat on the PS3, and had that going for about 8-10 hours yesterday... then broke down and put in The Dark Knight and watched that lastnight (wow, looked awesome!)

then before i went to bed, i decided to try out those images i downloaded earlier and copied to a thumbdrive... plugged it into the side port, it went to the home media section, then selected "slideshow" from the options, and walked away figuring i'd let it run for 30-60 minutes.

came back to check on it awhile later and it was back at the main menu... uh-oh... i removed the thumbdrive and powered off the tv... and saw pretty clearly IR of the main menu that was just there a moment before.

tried not to completely freak out.

turned it back on, went into the menu, and ran the "video pattern"... it ran for an hour and did turn off... got up, went to work, and now wondering what i should do (if anything) tonight when i get home?
post #11639 of 15008 Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I prefer burning a DVD of the images and running it through a player. The images appear more distinct between one another. I don't think you did any damage, and the wipe will probably clear it out. However, did you use the setup settings in Sport when you ran the Planet Earth DVD? Did you return to the Movie mode for watching the Dark Knight?
post #11640 of 15008 Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM

i don't have internet at the house yet (waiting on verizon), so i pulled up AVS on my iphone, found this thread, and on the first page saw the part with the settings by D-Nice... so i set it to Movie mode with the settings, then put in disc 1 of Planet Earch on the PS3 and set it to Repeat... ran that for 8-10 hours, with no problems.

then watched Dark Knight (movie mode)

after that, just of of curiosity i put in the thumbdrive with the images i downloaded last week, and tried it out (still on movie mode)... damn thing didn't repeat automatically, which sucked and freaked me out.... ran the video pattern for an hour and went to bed.

didn't touch it at all this morning before leaving for work.

was planning on just putting Planet Earth back in (movie mode), and running that for the next couple days... would that be okay?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page