The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 393 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11761 of 15008 Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I had the 60in KURO professionally calibrated this week and WOW. Before I was using either the Optimal or Movie preset, and thought that the Optimal was always a bit too dark while the Movie setting had too much of a yellow hint to it, particularly noticable in the menus and anywhere there was white text.

After calibration the whites are white, without being overdone like LCD seems to be and the overall colors are very realistic. I notice most that outdoor scenes seem to look completely realistic lighting wise. Daylight looks like I'm looking through a window to the outside or something like that.

The guy said the TV was pretty good out of the box, but it did need some adjustments to the RGB settings or whatever. Even without being able to adjust color temp since it's not an Elite, the post-calibration readings are very good.

For whatever reason, he calibrated the display in Performance mode, adjusting the output in the factory menu using his software. I had thought he was going to use the Movie setting, but there was a reason he didn't. Something to do with the available settings in Performance mode that he was able to adjust in the factory menu that he couldn't in Movie. This might have been related to the software he was using, who knows.

Either way it looks great to me, and well worth the investment. I couldn't be happier with this display and am glad I chose a Plasma over a LCD. I really notice the depth of plasma now and the backlit image of a LCD just looks too flat to me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11762 of 15008 Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I have DNice scheduled to calibrate my 5020 tomorrow - look forward to posting the results.
post #11763 of 15008 Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Can anyone tell me if I can do this using the factory remote like I have seen instructions for the 8G models...?

Or is it not possible...?
post #11764 of 15008 Old 06-12-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine987 View Post

Can anyone tell me if I can do this using the factory remote like I have seen instructions for the 8G models...?

I replied in your Thread Here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155046

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #11765 of 15008 Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I replied in your Thread Here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155046

Turbe i think he's considering buying a store demo 5020 for $900 and wanted to check the hours.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #11766 of 15008 Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine987 View Post

you cannot use the regular owners remote to access the service menu on the 9g model like you could the 8G and older generation pioneer panels.

you would need the Pioneer factory service/tech remote.

another option would be to download the ControCal software by Turbe onto a laptop, take it to the store and connect it to the 5020 using a usb/serial adapter and cable or a regular straight through DB9 serial cable. doubtful the store would let you do that as supposedly pioneer will void the warranty if you enter the service menu.

post #11767 of 15008 Old 06-13-2009, 06:27 AM

Are the images in the Thumbdrive files the very same as the ones on the DVD. Last time (5020) I used the Thumbdrive and this time (600M) I am using the DVD?

The images seem different based on memory. And my wife said the same thing.
post #11768 of 15008 Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargedmr2 View Post

Are the images in the Thumbdrive files the very same as the ones on the DVD. Last time (5020) I used the Thumbdrive and this time (600M) I am using the DVD?

The images seem different based on memory. And my wife said the same thing.

They're completely different, and I've yet to see anyone say why. The DVD has A LOT more colors and shades.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11769 of 15008 Old 06-13-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

They're completely different, and I've yet to see anyone say why. The DVD has A LOT more colors and shades.

Ok Thanks. As long as there isn't a problem I'm ok, but I am curious as to why there is a difference. I was finally able to dig up some posts on the issue and all I could find was that the images are different, but as you mentioned, there is nothing about why.
post #11770 of 15008 Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

When viewed on my computer monitor, the thumbdrive images are very distinct, but then when I attach the drive to the panel, there's very little difference shown. The DVD images don't appear to be different via the computer, but there are very distinct differences of how they appear on the panel. I'd stick with the DVD break-in, and just put the added wear and tear on your player...it gets replaced every few years anyway!
post #11771 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargedmr2 View Post

Ok Thanks. As long as there isn't a problem I'm ok, but I am curious as to why there is a difference. I was finally able to dig up some posts on the issue and all I could find was that the images are different, but as you mentioned, there is nothing about why.

Yeah, I and others have asked DNice and Evangelo. You could try asking again in this thread. All I've seen is "They are a subset of the EXACT images found on the break in dvd/svcd", but that doesn't say why. It can't be because of size because the DVD images are still only 430mb even after unpacking.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #11772 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday DNice paid me a visit to calibrate my 5020. It was nice to put a face with the name of someone who has provided so much information to those of us who read the Pioneer threads. As others have posted after having their displays professionally calibrated - I can sum up the experience in one word - incredible. Prior to calibration I thought my picture look good, post calibration I find myself wanting to spend the day in front of it watching various content - from good to amazing. The slight red push that I had prior to calibration is gone - despite prior adjustments I couldn't get rid of it completely. I find the improved detail - especially in the darker scenes surprising since I thought they were really good pre-calibration - even with my sharpness level dialed down to -15. It was interesting to spend time with DNice watching the impact that raising the sharpness level actually had on the picture and the test images. More is definitely not better. Colors pop more and are finally balanced as validated in the RGB Color Balance graph in the calibration report. Another huge improvement are the whites along with the "brightness" of the display. I find the improved "brightness" of the display even more interesting since my brightness and contrast settings are slightly lower than they were prior to calibration.

DNice was very professional, arrived early and took more time than I had anticipated working on my display. He also answered any questions I had and took the time to enlighten me in regards to some of the topics discussed on this thread during the past year . I have also included my pre and post calibration reports, they were waiting for me in my mailbox at 7 am today.

If you are on the fence in regards to purchasing Control Cal or getting your display calibrated by a trained professional who uses Control Cal get off it. It is the best money I have spent since buying my display. The one advantage the professional has is the equipment to measure the light test patterns, etc. I am also surprised at the variance in my final RGB settings vs. the settings DNice posted at the beginning of this thread for the 5020 calibrated with Control Cal - as said before, each display is different.

All of the features within the service menu are very interesting. I hope individuals will continue to work with the non-elite displays to discover new features or adjustments. Thanks to DNice for a job well done. One final note, after spending time with my recently acquired Oppo 83 DNice remarked a number times how impressed he was with the player - I believe someone will be trying to order one today.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD Pre Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf 205.6728515625k . file

Pioneer PDP-5020FD Post Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf 197.47265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pioneer PDP-5020FD Post Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf (197.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf Pioneer PDP-5020FD Pre Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf (205.7 KB, 0 views)
post #11773 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 04:56 PM

I had Chris Eberle of Precision Video calibrate my Pioneer 5020FD and these are the results. Can anybody help me to understand how accurate it is and what it means. Thanks in advance.

Pioneer5020postcolor.pdf 96.0947265625k . file

Pioneer5020postcolorIS.pdf 92.4248046875k . file

Pioneer5020postgray.pdf 74.373046875k . file

Pioneer5020precolor.pdf 97.8994140625k . file

Pioneer5020pregray.pdf 79.63671875k . file
post #11774 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag12203 View Post

Can anybody help me to understand how accurate it is and what it means.

Your display was not so good. The lines should be together, the bars should be short, the dots should be in the boxes. Now it's much better. Does it look different?

The 5020 post-calibration report posted just before yours is probably as good as you can get.
post #11775 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Thank you for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Yesterday DNice paid me a visit to calibrate my 5020. It was nice to put a face with the name of someone who has provided so much information to those of us who read the Pioneer threads. As others have posted after having their displays professionally calibrated - I can sum up the experience in one word - incredible. Prior to calibration I thought my picture look good, post calibration I find myself wanting to spend the day in front of it watching various content - from good to amazing. The slight red push that I had prior to calibration is gone - despite prior adjustments I couldn't get rid of it completely. I find the improved detail - especially in the darker scenes surprising since I thought they were really good pre-calibration - even with my sharpness level dialed down to -15. It was interesting to spend time with DNice watching the impact that raising the sharpness level actually had on the picture and the test images. More is definitely not better. Colors pop more and are finally balanced as validated in the RGB Color Balance graph in the calibration report. Another huge improvement are the whites along with the "brightness" of the display. I find the improved "brightness" of the display even more interesting since my brightness and contrast settings are slightly lower than they were prior to calibration.

DNice was very professional, arrived early and took more time than I had anticipated working on my display. He also answered any questions I had and took the time to enlighten me in regards to some of the topics discussed on this thread during the past year . I have also included my pre and post calibration reports, they were waiting for me in my mailbox at 7 am today.

If you are on the fence in regards to purchasing Control Cal or getting your display calibrated by a trained professional who uses Control Cal get off it. It is the best money I have spent since buying my display. The one advantage the professional has is the equipment to measure the light test patterns, etc. I am also surprised at the variance in my final RGB settings vs. the settings DNice posted at the beginning of this thread for the 5020 calibrated with Control Cal - as said before, each display is different.

All of the features within the service menu are very interesting. I hope individuals will continue to work with the non-elite displays to discover new features or adjustments. Thanks to DNice for a job well done. One final note, after spending time with my recently acquired Oppo 83 DNice remarked a number times how impressed he was with the player - I believe someone will be trying to order one today.

post #11776 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:

Yesterday DNice paid me a visit to calibrate my 5020.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've added it to the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.
post #11777 of 15008 Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag12203 View Post

I had Chris Eberle of Precision Video calibrate my Pioneer 5020FD and these are the results. Can anybody help me to understand how accurate it is and what it means. Thanks in advance.

If you write about your impressions of your display's PQ before and after calibration, I would like to add your comments to the list of owner's reports that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #11778 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Thank you for the kind words.

Just being honest and calling it as I see it (no pun intended)
post #11779 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 AM

Guys my attention has been drawn to a Pioneer PDP-LX5090H with 6 years (bring-in, not at-home) warranty for £2500... and it's do-able by paying half up front and then spreding the rest of the cost over 24 or 36 months with only £125 or £200 interest added on for each length respectively.

This is seriously do-able for me and I CAN afford it, but the question is... should I do it? It's 2x the price of the Panasonic and i'm worried i'm going to be struggling to justify it to myself for a while to come...

*rocks slowly back and forth*

ops:
post #11780 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdog View Post

...It's 2x the price of the Panasonic and i'm worried i'm going to be struggling to justify it to myself for a while to come....

I'm not familiar with the European designations, but our 5020s were only a few hundred dollars more than the Panasonic 800u, so the difference was easily justified. At double the cost, I would suggest that the G series Panasonic is a good panel, and once within your home, you won't be judging it side by side with any other panel, so why stress yourself with your decision?
post #11781 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Liked: 11
Could an Elite be any better than this? Based on your comments and the calibration report it would seem not. At least not significantly. Am I wrong about that?
Quote:

post #11782 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM

hi,
i'm frensh, and i would to know what is the US reference of my frensh kuro ?

I have a krp600A.

Thanks for your help.
post #11783 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealshad View Post

hi,
i'm frensh, and i would to know what is the US reference of my frensh kuro ?

I have a krp600A. Thanks for your help.

here's a thread that tries to compare the 9G kuros. i dont think there is an exact U.S. model to match the 600A.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126267

post #11784 of 15008 Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavitz View Post

Could an Elite be any better than this? Based on your comments and the calibration report it would seem not. At least not significantly. Am I wrong about that?

I believe from the beginning DNice and others have maintained that it is very difficult to tell the difference between a calibrated non-elite and an elite. However, if you could afford an elite how could you pass up pure mode and the service menu extras? Honestly, if I could do it over right now I would buy a KRP-600 - 10 more inches of picture to enjoy, most of the benefits of an Elite and the prices are insane. Just had a flashback to the days of Crazy Eddie.
post #11785 of 15008 Old 06-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi!
I'm a proud owner of a new Pioneer plasma flat screen LX5090H and i've been trying to set it up in my home for two days now. I have succeeded in most things but am still unable to figure out why can't i watch an HD program that's been decoded through DTV when my satellite antenna is connected.

i've connected the antenna where one side is connected to the TV and the other side of the cable goes into a socket in the wall. i presume we have an amplifier. and through that i get four DTV programmes and one HD programme. it's a promo but it doesn't matter.

and i've connected my satellite cord also in the socket in the wall and the other side into the TV. and when i search for programmes it finds some and saves them.

but when i turn it over to normal DTV (that also shows HDTV) i don't see that HD channel anymore until i unplug my satellite cord. and then it's all back to normal - i see HD channel but my sat antenna isn't connected and I can't watch satellite programmes which i can when that cord is connected.

help, plz?
post #11786 of 15008 Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderjajce View Post

Hi!
I'm a proud owner of a new Pioneer plasma flat screen LX5090H and i've been trying to set it up in my home for two days now. I have succeeded in most things but am still unable to figure out why can't i watch an HD program that's been decoded through DTV when my satellite antenna is connected.

i've connected the antenna where one side is connected to the TV and the other side of the cable goes into a socket in the wall. i presume we have an amplifier. and through that i get four DTV programmes and one HD programme. it's a promo but it doesn't matter.

and i've connected my satellite cord also in the socket in the wall and the other side into the TV. and when i search for programmes it finds some and saves them.

but when i turn it over to normal DTV (that also shows HDTV) i don't see that HD channel anymore until i unplug my satellite cord. and then it's all back to normal - i see HD channel but my sat antenna isn't connected and I can't watch satellite programmes which i can when that cord is connected.

help, plz?

I am a little confused.
DTV stands for Direct TV or digital television (ota)?
You have an over the air antenna connected to both the TV and satellite receiver?
The satellite receiver is connected to the TV with HDMI, component video, or RF?
post #11787 of 15008 Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM

There is a separate thread where we have been trying to help with this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155847

They have a European Kuro with a dedicated satellite input and when he connects the satellite cable, he loses a HD channel on the internal TV tuner. When he disconnects the satellite cable, the HD channel comes back. THis is the only HD channel he gets.

It is almost like the internal TV tuner can't support HD when the satellite is connected? I'm beginning to think that the TV tuner in these european models treats the dedicated satellite input very differently from our separate HDMI/component inputs.

Sounds very odd, but I don't know anything about that model...
post #11788 of 15008 Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think the KRP-600M is a much better value for those with their own sound system. We carry both that and the PRO-151FD in stock and I always recommend the KRP600M for over $2000 less !!!

Angel BBPCS

Best Buy P.C.S. Customer Service
post #11789 of 15008 Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

There is a separate thread where we have been trying to help with this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155847

They have a European Kuro with a dedicated satellite input and when he connects the satellite cable, he loses a HD channel on the internal TV tuner. When he disconnects the satellite cable, the HD channel comes back. THis is the only HD channel he gets.

It is almost like the internal TV tuner can't support HD when the satellite is connected? I'm beginning to think that the TV tuner in these european models treats the dedicated satellite input very differently from our separate HDMI/component inputs.

Sounds very odd, but I don't know anything about that model...

It's true that it's the only HD channel i get but only over digital TV. If I watch satellite feed i see HD channels too.
post #11790 of 15008 Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 PM

does anyone know if the calibration settings will survive an extended power failure?

mark
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page