AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucd /forum/post/13983388

There is buzzing, but this being my first plasma TV and hearing that all plasma having a slight buzzing sound, i'm not sure how it compares to last year's model if it's more or less.

-D

Please provide your basic subjective experience FWIW.

The buzzing was a deal breaker for many here on the 8G's.

The buzzing did not bother most people, or was not present at a noticeable level on most units it seems, but the number of people who it did impact the viewing experience was not insignificant.

There will be some noise out of back of set. Nobody really cares about this.

This is not really what the problem is.

Then there may be some hum/buzzing out of the front panel. This is what bothered some people in some environments.

For most people it was directional (you could only really hear it if you sat at eye level in front of set). It could be heard up to 15 feet or so for most people in a quiet room.

For some people (me) it was diffuse as well as directional. I could hear it as the picture brightness changed from over 20 feet away anywhere in the room.

As for how loud is an issue-this is obviously subjective.

I could hear it pretty easily if the volume was low and there was not other ambient noise present (heater or AC). For example, if watching a newscast at low volume or any source at no volume, it could be heard by everyone who came to my house without any real effort.

If the volume was turned up in any source, though, it was not really audible.

Thanks for your input.

My first reaction to you acknowledging that there is buzzing is that it is the same as the 8G's. Likely not an issue for most people.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk1 /forum/post/13984593

That is what the word is, that there will be less controls on non-elite units available via standard menu and service menu's. You can check through the Kuro 9G prerelease thread for more info about what the differences are. Basically some of the setting are going to be "hard set" we are awaiting results from D-Nice's tests that will let us know how good or bad the "Hard Set" settings are. Of course none of this will be an issue if you purchase a ELITE unit, but that is much more money.

Thanks for the response!

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes /forum/post/13986657

Never a peep or buzz from my 5010.

What bugs me is the 5 stuck pixels and Pioneer would not replace the set.

Were the stuck pixels alltogether or spread out throughout the panel?

#66 ·
As a potential purchaser of this set I am definitely going to have to order it from somewhere that will GUARANTEE me I can return for any reason, but most especially if I see any stuck pixels or buzzing noise issues.

I absolutely am not going to buy this set from anywhere if it might mean I end up fighting and wrestling with Pioneer for weeks/months to fix a problem. Not worth the risk.

Which stores can offer me this? Amazon?

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2828 /forum/post/13986736

As a potential purchaser of this set I am definitely going to have to order it from somewhere that will GUARANTEE me I can return for any reason, but most especially if I see any stuck pixels or buzzing noise issues.

I absolutely am not going to buy this set from anywhere if it might mean I end up fighting and wrestling with Pioneer for weeks/months to fix a problem. Not worth the risk.

Which stores can offer me this? Amazon?

Other than buying from bestbuy at a high price, the Only authorized online store I know of is that offers this is Amazon.

Last year when I bought the 6010 I was worried about the exact same thing you are so I bought from amazon.

BUT, I got 2 DOA units in a row and ended up going thru 2 months of shipping and returning only to be told the 3rd time around that they are out of stock and I would be getting a refund.

So no more amazon for me!! They use Eagle (Ceva) shipping and they are not good (IMO) at shipping things like Plasmas. Both boxes I got were totally beat up. Both 6010's buzzed really loud and No picture at all (Busted internal glass).

I pulled the trigger today and ordered a 6020 form Robert at Value Electronics.

He was very Freindly, helpful, and knowledgable and I am confident I will be taken care of. So far everything has been perfect! My 6020 should be here Thursday 6/5 at the soonest.

I had originally decided on the 151FD but have decided that the 6020 will be the better bet for me since I do not plan on pro calibration and could use the extra money for an Audio system.

I will just be using D-Nices reference settings once he gets his 6020 from Robert.

I mentioned this in the other 9G thread but I still want to mention it in this thread also:

From what I have read, Robert is sending D-Nice an evaluation unit to do his settings/calibration/workup basically to help us all out. This will help myself and many others tremedously!
So a BIG Thank you to Robert!

-Chad

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxx /forum/post/13983417

But do you hear the buzzing if you sit dead center in front of the TV, and if so is it somewhat loud if you mute the set?

or, asked differently, how far do you have to sit away before you can no longer distinguish between whether the TV is on or off with your eyes closed? ... just saw the answer earlier: 15 feet.

#71 ·
The pixels are spread out, but near the center of the screen. I would not have cared so much if they were along the edge. I bought online- so I was stuck. Next time I will pay extra from a local dealer with a honest return policy. I don't care what the pixel policy is- it's not fair to pay thousands of $$ for something that isn't blemish free.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes /forum/post/13986657

Never a peep or buzz from my 5010.

What bugs me is the 5 stuck pixels and Pioneer would not replace the set.

I just want you to know I do not doubt you one bit or even a pixel, but I do want everyone to know this is an extremely rare occurrence for 5 dead pixels anywhere near the center of the panel to get past QC in the factory and then to have customer support to turn down a new panel or replacement TV. Obviously it is very very rare to see a cluster of dead pixels get into any major manufacturers product it is of course, possible. I would fight this one a little more if too much time as not already passed.

Is this a Pioneer product, which model?

Sorry to hear this story.

-Robert

#74 ·
Yes,

It is a super rare occurance to have 5 stuck pixels. My 5080 was pixel perfect.

I have heard if you run the break-in disk for a while it can sometimes re-activate dead pixels.

You should try that.

I would contact Pioneer again and plead with them some more.

It is strange that they turned down a replacement on a screen with 5 dead pixels.

Myself, I try not to go hunting for dead/stuck pixels. What you can't see won't hurt you.

But I think it would be hard not to notice dead/stuck pixels while running the break-in disk.

During normal viewing, thats another story.

#76 ·
I am little confused about the distribution of the new 9G panels. I was one of the first to pre-order and put a deposit with Invision and did not get the panel in the first shipment. Initially Invision made a mistake on my order and thought I had ordered a 5020 while I had clearly ordered a 6020, I had to call them to correct the mistake. I was told by Invision to expect the panel sometime in later June. I also called Roberts at Value Electronics last week and he told me that he is out of his quota and his next shipment is end of June. And now today I find out that Chadmak was able to order his 9G panel today and is getting his on Thursday from Robert. I am a little confused as it seems that there are panels available but the process on who gets the panel first is not clear.

I am glad for people who are getting these panels but feel little left out. I wonder if Invision is not on the top priority list of Pioneer and Robert is. I can only hope that there are no more delays and I will be next in line to get the panel whenever the new shipment arrives

#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch /forum/post/13987141

or, asked differently, how far do you have to sit away before you can no longer distinguish between whether the TV is on or off with your eyes closed? ... just saw the answer earlier: 15 feet.

Just to clarify and to be fair-this would only be if you happen to have such a unit that:

1) Was one of the small number that buzzed audibly (most did not according to the buzz poll)

2) You had an environment in which you could hear it (pretty low ambient noise)

3) You had a seating position and unit placement in which you could hear it.

4) You had hearing in which you were able to pick it up

5) It bothered you

As noted-typically only brick and mortar stores will take a unit back no questions asked. They typically resell them as open box units is my guess if buzzing is the only issue.

The next guy likely does not care or it does not bother them or they cannot hear it.

Since Pioneer does not acknowledge the buzzing issue it places the internet dealers in a tough spot.

The warranty claim and issue is Pioneer's call-not the internet dealer call.

As good as the AVS forum sponsor dealers are here-there is not much they can do for you on this specific issue.

Pioneer will not budge.

I do believe there is one internet dealer here with a 90 day satisfaction policy.

Not sure if that covers this issue.

Best to get this clarified ahead of time.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT /forum/post/13987939

Congrats on the 6020 pre-order chad. What finally pushed you over the edge?

Thanks man,

One factor was that I don't plan on getting either profesionally calibrated becasue I like to adjust my settings in totally different ways depending on the content/source/media. I am not too familiar with professional calibration but I would think going in and adjusting the settings all the time would not be a good idea once you have had it calibrated.

Another factor was I am getting tired of waiting. lol

Another is of course money. I don't have an audio system to go with my TV at all. The extra money will come in handy for this. I had thought of getting a Bose Cinemate but alot of members on here are discouraging me from buying a bose. They do seem a little expensive for what little you get. I have no idea what I will get,if any of you have any recommendations please PM them to me. I would appreciate it.

Considering how happy I was with the 5080, I think I will be more than happy enough with the 6020.

From what I have read, Color accuracy is one of the big differences between the 6020 and 151. And while I consider Color accuracy important, Its not on the top of my list. Contrast, processing, black levels and motion abiltity are very important to me and from what I have heard so far, The 6020 and 151 are about the same in those categories (correct me if I am wrong).

I was happy enough with the color accuracy of the 5080, so I am sure I will be quite pleased with the 6020.

All in all, Yes I would rather have the 151fd, But considering what I place importance on and the other factors i think the difference just wasn't enough for me to spend the extra $ on in my situation.

I need to keep some money for next years ECC 10G I will be getting!

-Chad

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/13988489

Thanks man,

One factor was that I don't plan on getting either profesionally calibrated becasue I like to adjust my settings in totally different ways depending on the source. I am not too familiar with professional calibration but I would think going in and adjusting the settings all the time would not be a good idea once you have had it calibrated.

Another factor was I am getting tired of waiting. lol

Another is of course money. I don't have an audio system to go with my TV at all. The extra money will come in handy for this. I had thought of getting a Bose Cinemate but alot of members on here are discouraging me from buying a bose. They do seem a little expensive for what little you get. I have no idea what I will get,if any of you have any recommendations please PM them to me. I would appreciate it.

Considering how happy I was with the 5080, I think I will be more than happy enough with the 6020.

From what I have read, Color accuracy is one of the big differences between the 6020 and 151. And while I consider Color accuracy important, Its not on the top of my list. Contrast, processing, black levels and motion abiltity are very important to me and from what I have heard so far, The 6020 and 151 are about the same in those categories (correct me if I am wrong).

I was happy enough with the color accuracy of the 5080, so I am sure I will be quite pleased with the 6020.

All in all, Yes I would rather have the 151fd, But considering what I place importance on and the other factors i think the difference just wasn't enough for me to spend the extra $ on in my situation.

I need to keep some money for next years ECC 10G I will be getting!

-Chad

Well, if those things aren't that important to you, and you can save some cash to put towards a nice sound system, then more power to you. Like you said, if you were happy with the 5080, you're going to be blown away by your 6020. And you'll be enjoying it while I'm still lurking around the forum reading about it

Just don't buy Bose! Bose is like the Monster Cable of audio systems. If you pair that beautiful TV with a Bose system, the gods are going to curse you forever!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.