The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12511 of 15008 Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Did you already try the 5020's "Auto" setting for colorspace?

The idea there should be to get the Kuro to synch with the signal automatically. This is also the default setting as I recall however it's possible that this could be a case where it can't synch which is no doubt why they offer the manual choices.

Yes. Auto was the original setting and I tried other modes because it didn't work.

If there's communication problem, don't know it's due to Kuro or my HTPC.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that a solution is somewhere...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12512 of 15008 Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Just pulled the trigger on getting the KRP-500M today. Can't wait to get it. This site has been great! I was originally going to go with the Panasonic g10 unit, but you all convinced me to go Pioneer. All I need to get now is a pedestal stand. Since I spent more money than originally intended, can anyone point me where to get a cheap stand for this unit? I have seen a PDK-1016 table stand for just under $100, but I don't know if it will fit my 500M. Any help will be appreciated.
Anxious (new) KURO Owner
post #12513 of 15008 Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Possibly look on eBay, but with the stand already being an optional component, I doubt many would order one, and later not use it.
post #12514 of 15008 Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

How good is the PDP-6020? Is it better than the Panny v65"?

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #12515 of 15008 Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you're asking that question on a Pioneer enthusiast's thread! I have not seen the V series panels yet, but I can say that I've compared to a G series of the same size as my panel, and find the Pioneer superior to it for contrast and colors, but not by much. Out of the box, the THX setting hits pretty close to the standards of the S&M calibration disc. Some calibrators may want to chime in on this answer with their experiences.
post #12516 of 15008 Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehien View Post

Yes. Auto was the original setting and I tried other modes because it didn't work.

If there's communication problem, don't know it's due to Kuro or my HTPC.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that a solution is somewhere...

Thanks!

After a lot of search and found tons of related info, here is one link to demonstrate, explain, and provide solution for the issue at hand:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/fixin...ck-levels.html

It talks about Windows 7 but in fact Vista and I believe XP Media Center are affected too.

I plan to apply the "NominalRange" registry change to change how Media Center map color range (to 0-255 instead of 16-235). After that, hope everything is working properly.

But anyway looks like this is an issue any HTPC user using Media Center will encounter.

I believe if Kuro is set to Auto (default) for video mode, it defaults to 16-235 with HDMI connection from PC. Media Center videos will look right, but then both black and white in other applications will be clipped (ie., light gray becomes white and dark area becomes black).

Thus, the only way to display accurate color and tone in all applications (unless one's using nVidia card) is to manually set Kuro to "video-4" (0-255) and force MC to map color to 0-255 range.
post #12517 of 15008 Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

After a lot of search and found tons of related info, here is one link to demonstrate, explain, and provide solution for the issue at hand:

It talks about Windows 7 but in fact Vista and I believe XP Media Center are affected too.

I plan to apply the "NominalRange" registry change to change how Media Center map color range (to 0-255 instead of 16-235). After that, hope everything is working properly.

But anyway looks like this is an issue any HTPC user using Media Center will encounter.

I believe if Kuro is set to Auto (default) for video mode, it defaults to 16-235 with HDMI connection from PC. Media Center videos will look right, but then both black and white in other applications will be clipped (ie., light gray becomes white and dark area becomes black).

Thus, the only way to display accurate color and tone in all applications (unless one's using nVidia card) is to manually set Kuro to "video-4" (0-255) and force MC to map color to 0-255 range.

Looking in retrospect I think even running media center thru the 360 video streaming have been a bit washed out. I tend to use the PC directly now via other playback apps but I'll have to take a 2nd look at media center.

Thanks for the update.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #12518 of 15008 Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Looking in retrospect I think even running media center thru the 360 video streaming have been a bit washed out. I tend to use the PC directly now via other playback apps but I'll have to take a 2nd look at media center.

Thanks for the update.

Good thing you don't have to use MC often. For me it's essential because with ATI Digital Cable Tuner, it's my only way for recording HD cable content (my Tivo is only for SD).
post #12519 of 15008 Old 11-04-2009, 06:58 PM

After reading this thread, I am convinced that my next major purchase is going to be a KRP-500M. At current prices with free shipping it seems like way too good of a deal to pass up. The only problem is I see it does not have a tuner built in. This kind of bothers me, because I will use it mostly for watching free over the air TV and some Bluray movies. Can anyone please recommend a good stand alone external HD tuner with HDMI out that I can plug into my Onkyo receiver or directly to the Monitor? I want to get this monitor as soon as possible, but my wife would not be very happy if she couldn’t watch TV on our new TV.

Thanks,
Ken
post #12520 of 15008 Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good thing you don't have to use MC often. For me it's essential because with ATI Digital Cable Tuner, it's my only way for recording HD cable content (my Tivo is only for SD).

I see. FiOS + TiVO HD ftw if you get the chance.

Family DVD Collection
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
post #12521 of 15008 Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
is anyone familiar with these stands/racks.
looks like it will work for me but not sure about compatibility with the krp500m
http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com...x#ReviewHeader

thanks
post #12522 of 15008 Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else got this email? It says its from support@pioneerservice.com

What is it?

Open Source Notice Regarding Your Recent Pioneer PDP Firmware Update

This notice is for the purpose of compliance with the terms of a GNU General Public License or Lesser General Public License. It does not relate in any way to the performance of your Pioneer PDP product or of the firmware update you received from Pioneer. You do not need to take any action in response to this email unless you wish to receive a copy of the source code, as described below.

The firmware update you received for your Pioneer PDP product included software code for the Linux operating system, BusyBox, and other components licensed for use based on the terms of a GNU General Public License or Lesser General Public License. You may obtain a machine readable copy of the corresponding source code for the cost of distribution by contacting Pioneer's Customer Service Center (in the U.S., 1-800-421-1404). Pioneer service representatives are available Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern Time), except on holidays. Details of the GNU GPL and LGPL can be found at the GNU website (http://www.gnu.org).

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
post #12523 of 15008 Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Has anyone else got this email? It says its from support@pioneerservice.com

What is it?

Open Source Notice Regarding Your Recent Pioneer PDP Firmware Update

It's a copyright notice giving credit where credit is do. I assume they overlooked it's inclusion when they released the last FW.

I got it as well.
post #12524 of 15008 Old 11-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Hi,

I've had my 5020 for a week now and on the whole have been blown away by the picture. In the past couple of days, however, I've noticed some noise in solid colors, even though the picture was otherwise perfect. Additionally I noticed in on one movie today the image was very jittery when panning across the landscape.

The change coincides with a firmware upgrade I did but I'm not sure if that could have effected anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?Could this be done to cable?

Thanks
post #12525 of 15008 Old 11-07-2009, 09:20 PM

For what it's worth, I have a 600M and had that happened to me on my Troy BD. Just on one scene. I have a ps3 with the 24fps turned on, with 72hz advance setting on. I tried to turn it to 24hz, 60hz, and also played it with the ps3 24hz option off. It still did it. I think that will happen from time to time. I'm not for sure though. That's the only thing that I have seen it do that on. I wouldn't worry about it. Wait and see if if keeps happening with other content. I think it's just a coincidence
post #12526 of 15008 Old 11-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Also, I just noticed you said "cable". If you are meaning "cable tv", I would think it would be highly likely that is the cable. A cable signal isn't going to be "perfect" 100% of the time. Maybe 99.9%, lol. Most things electronic aren't 100%. Just extremely close to 100% .....I guess that's kind of an opinion, whatever
post #12527 of 15008 Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post

Hi,

I've had my 5020 for a week now and on the whole have been blown away by the picture. In the past couple of days, however, I've noticed some noise in solid colors, even though the picture was otherwise perfect. Additionally I noticed in on one movie today the image was very jittery when panning across the landscape.

The change coincides with a firmware upgrade I did but I'm not sure if that could have effected anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?Could this be done to cable?

Thanks

Make sure the static and judder you see in "one movie" is not part of source as well. Some judder on some pans for instance can be seen even in a film's theater run and is part of the 24fps source.

Family DVD Collection
post #12528 of 15008 Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:

I see. FiOS + TiVO HD ftw if you get the chance.

It's hard to say when my FiOS will be available in my neighborhood. It's most newly developed communities in this city.

However, after using Tivo I do prefer recording with PC so the files are more portable and can be edited. With FiOS, I don't think this option is possible but hope I'm wrong.
post #12529 of 15008 Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 PM

What is best way to record from my FIOS box onto PC? I use XP Pro and do not want to upgrade to Vista or Win7. I am a noob at this. Also, my KPR500M arrives tomorrow...woohoo.
post #12530 of 15008 Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello: I'm hoping someone can give some advice or suggestions. Late this summer I purchased a Pioneer KRP-600M with the KRP-TSO1 stand. I really like what I see so far and I'm about a week-and-a-half out from an ISF calibration. Here's my issue: I was vacumming the furniture stand the TV sits on with the dusting brush and I thought I'd go over the front plate of the stand with the dusting brush as well. BAD IDEA! This stupid trick left a bunch of light scratches and swirl marks on the base where I had vacuumed with the brush. CRAP! Is there any kind of plastic polish I can use to at least minimize the appearance of these marks? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

William R. Moore
post #12531 of 15008 Old 11-11-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Try some straight auto wax in liquid form. That will hide the scratches, but put it on and off with a microfiber cloth.
post #12532 of 15008 Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Try some straight auto wax in liquid form. That will hide the scratches, but put it on and off with a microfiber cloth.

If you do that, make sure it's a "pure wax" WITH fillers (for hiding scratches) BUT no abrasives!
post #12533 of 15008 Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwheel View Post

Here's a pic of my 5020. I got one of those weird brown bezels on mine.

But to be serious, it would be great if new owners of the 20 series could comment on any of the following:

1) Initial impressions
2) Any audible buzz?
3) Comparison to the 8Gs if you used to have one?

that's an unusual subwoofer. extended bass port, extra tubes even has a handle for easy movement if you have too much gain.
post #12534 of 15008 Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstring View Post

If you do that, make sure it's a "pure wax" WITH fillers (for hiding scratches) BUT no abrasives!

Not to mention make sure you have a lot of time on your hands.. that stuff can take HUNDREDS of applications to work.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #12535 of 15008 Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

Not to mention make sure you have a lot of time on your hands.. that stuff can take HUNDREDS of applications to work.

Errrr....not too sure what kind of wax you've been using, but I'd say it's time to switch brands!! We're not talking about REMOVING the scratches, just HIDING them.
post #12536 of 15008 Old 11-12-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstring View Post

...BUT no abrasives!

Yes, sorry I used the term "straight", I should have said avoid "cleaner wax". Mequiar's makes a "yellow wax" liquid that is just wax, and works well to fill the scratches.
post #12537 of 15008 Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry to report back that this method didn't really work...

Vista Media Center did appear to map all level to 0-255 after my registry fix. However, after restart it never worked. Not sure why it is. But unless someone can help, I'll have to spend more time in finding the causes. Sigh...

For now, I revert to changing video mode option on 5020.
post #12538 of 15008 Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's hard to say when my FiOS will be available in my neighborhood. It's most newly developed communities in this city.

However, after using Tivo I do prefer recording with PC so the files are more portable and can be edited. With FiOS, I don't think this option is possible but hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoZed View Post

What is best way to record from my FIOS box onto PC? I use XP Pro and do not want to upgrade to Vista or Win7. I am a noob at this. Also, my KPR500M arrives tomorrow...woohoo.

You can use TiVO desktop software to transfer videos to your PC. From the PC you can work whatever magic you wish on your recordings.

Family DVD Collection
post #12539 of 15008 Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:

You can use TiVO desktop software to transfer videos to your PC. From the PC you can work whatever magic you wish on your recordings.

Oh yeah, did that years ago. But an 1hr show required around 1hr to transfer due to transcoding going on with Tivo (mine is Series 2). I gave up after doing it for about 6mo. With HD content, even with newer Tivo, I doubt it improved much. Did it? And what's the format (h.264, mpeg2, etc.) for the HD content from Tivo? Is the quality preserved?
post #12540 of 15008 Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've been on the forum. I've had my 5020FD for about a year now and love it. My question now is, since Pioneer has stopped producing the Kuro's - what's my next best option for another 40-50" TV? I had saved a lot of information on Panny's previously but I have to believe it's all old news now. I'm sure someone has posted information on the new models, I just can't seem to find it. I'd love to hear what other people are looking at for options. Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page