The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 424 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12691 of 15008 Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Thanks Dahlsim, very informative posts made by you. So just to clarify.. with PS3 set to RGB Full (and YPb/CbPr/Cr for video), and the Kuro set to Auto, I shouldn't have to worry.

I'm still kinda confused because I read to select RGB Full for games. But don't blu-rays need limited? Is it best I manual select when I need to (which isn't often) or what?

This setting was because PS3 would apply the RGB setting to video games and apply the video setting for Video sources, blu-ray etc.

Some reccommend RGB and Full for games on the assumption that the games were developed for an RGB signal and Full Colorspace and therefore you would avoid a colorspace conversion by setting your PS3 AND Display for that setting.

The truth is there is no guarantee that a given developer designed their game with RGB as the target. Some in fact I hear develop with Video as their target because they know most of their user's will play on TV's designed for and defaulted to a Video setting.

In addition there is likely to be little if any issue converting RGB to video as long as you have the Kuro and Game Console set so that they are treating the signal the same. There are some however that claim they are seeing a difference using RGB so that option is available to you on the XX20.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insider thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 15008 Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

why there are separate video and video out put setting, one Ypb and other RGB?

I'm pretty sure the PS3 system updates have changed the menu structure since those directions were written but the menus were structured so you could set different video types for different types of material.

Don't have one in front of me at the moment but I'll check it update later since as I recall they might have moved a few settings around.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
post #12693 of 15008 Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can someone tell me if the stand is adjustable on the 5020? Last time I checked I could see the 2 screws and what looked to be adjustable. I would like to take the speaker off and lower it but wanted to know firsthand before going through the trouble.

post #12694 of 15008 Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Can someone tell me if the stand is adjustable on the 5020? Last time I checked I could see the 2 screws and what looked to be adjustable. I would like to take the speaker off and lower it but wanted to know firsthand before going through the trouble.

As you know, the 5020 comes with the stand attached. From what I can tell, looking at mine, the stand does not appear to be adjustable. There are no holes further down the uprights which would allow you to drop the TV lower.

However, if you don't mind not being able to return to your previous setup w/speakers, I don't see why you couldn't remove the stand, cut the uprights to the proper length and drill the appropriate holes for re-attachment to the TV.
post #12695 of 15008 Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstring View Post

As you know, the 5020 comes with the stand attached. From what I can tell, looking at mine, the stand does not appear to be adjustable. There are no holes further down the uprights which would allow you to drop the TV lower.

However, if you don't mind not being able to return to your previous setup w/speakers, I don't see why you couldn't remove the stand, cut the uprights to the proper length and drill the appropriate holes for re-attachment to the TV.

That's probably what I'll do because I need it to be a few inches lower so I can look straight on. But I was just curious if anyone has actually took it apart and tried beforehand.

Thanks.

post #12696 of 15008 Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 AM

does anyone know if you can hook up a usb powered hard drive to a kuro for playback puposes. i am thinking of buying one to store my movies music and pics onto and just keep it pluggged up to my tvs usb port.
post #12697 of 15008 Old 12-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm22784 View Post

does anyone know if you can hook up a usb powered hard drive to a kuro for playback puposes. i am thinking of buying one to store my movies music and pics onto and just keep it pluggged up to my tvs usb port.

i'm assuming the kuros has no interface to do what you want to do, much less real player, windows media or the like.
post #12698 of 15008 Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Cleveland Plasma still have them listed on their web site. BB still has the 6020 available on their web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post

Ok I hope I'm not out of luck, but does anybody know anywhere that is selling any of the 9G Kuros? Or if they are going to be on sale next year?

Amazon still has the 6020 in stock, as well.
post #12699 of 15008 Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post

Amazon still has the 6020 in stock, as well.

Cool. The convergence chips in the tv in my sig went bad a few weeks ago and even though I can get them replaced easily, I'm really wanting to take this opportunity and replace that 7 year old set with a Kuro while there are still some out there.

Directv H20-600 to Panasonic PT-47WX51(ISF Calibrated) Usually viewing HD and DVDs from 8' to 10' away.
post #12700 of 15008 Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm22784 View Post

You can indeed hook up a usb hard drive. However, be aware that the Kuro interface is quite slow for playback and if you instead have the ability to put these items on a device such as a PS3 or even streaming, I would recommend that route. If you don't mind being patient with videos, then it will work ok. If you just want to play a slideshow for photos, once it is started it will be ok. I can't comment on the music ability as I have not tried it.

post #12701 of 15008 Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 PM

I bought a Kuro 5020FD a little over a year ago after doing research on these forums. I've heard Pioneer isn't making displays anymore, so not sure how valuable this info is, but here are a couple things I noticed:

I do have the issue with a slight buzzing noise which some people have mentioned, but it is very minor and all other sounds have to be off to hear it. It doesn't go away while the TV is muted, but really it's nothing to worry about. I never got surround sound hooked up so I'm still using the speaker that came with the TV, I wonder if the bass from the speaker rattles it a bit. It's really not a problem at all, you can barely hear it.

Overall it seems like it is designed to be in high-end entertainment systems and not an average consumer's living room. For example, I can't seem to find an option to display black bars in 4:3, I think there is only gray and gray that adapts to the colors of the screen. Y ou also can't change the input for about 20 seconds after turning the TV on, which can be annoying if you're trying to set something up then walk in the other room. The good news is, you can watch anything you want without any burn-in problems, I am guessing this is a thing of the past. I did the "break-in" DVD for about 4 hours the first day but I've never had a problem with burn-in.

The pictures is still good enough to make everyone else jealous, though, and I'm super happy with it. So there is a really late review from an average joe.
post #12702 of 15008 Old 12-17-2009, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad you're enjoying your Pioneer. We still like ours almost a year after purchasing it. I don't know anyone, personally, that has a TV with a better picture than our 5020.
post #12703 of 15008 Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommentingNick View Post

I bought a Kuro 5020FD a little over a year ago after doing research on these forums. I've heard Pioneer isn't making displays anymore, so not sure how valuable this info is, but here are a couple things I noticed:

I do have the issue with a slight buzzing noise which some people have mentioned, but it is very minor and all other sounds have to be off to hear it. It doesn't go away while the TV is muted, but really it's nothing to worry about. I never got surround sound hooked up so I'm still using the speaker that came with the TV, I wonder if the bass from the speaker rattles it a bit. It's really not a problem at all, you can barely hear it.

Overall it seems like it is designed to be in high-end entertainment systems and not an average consumer's living room. For example, I can't seem to find an option to display black bars in 4:3, I think there is only gray and gray that adapts to the colors of the screen. Y ou also can't change the input for about 20 seconds after turning the TV on, which can be annoying if you're trying to set something up then walk in the other room. The good news is, you can watch anything you want without any burn-in problems, I am guessing this is a thing of the past. I did the "break-in" DVD for about 4 hours the first day but I've never had a problem with burn-in.

The pictures is still good enough to make everyone else jealous, though, and I'm super happy with it. So there is a really late review from an average joe.

That's odd, all my 4:3 viewing has black side bars on my 5020.
post #12704 of 15008 Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

That's odd, all my 4:3 viewing has black side bars on my 5020.

wxman, you don't happen to know the settings do you? Maybe it's something I missed... I go into Setup -> Option -> Side Mask, I am currently set to Mode 1 and Auto, but no matter what combination I try I still get gray bars from a 480i source. I appreciate any info, it would be great if I could get black bars, that is my preference, even if it's supposedly worse for the display!
post #12705 of 15008 Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommentingNick View Post

......Overall it seems like it is designed to be in high-end entertainment systems and not an average consumer's living room. For example, I can't seem to find an option to display black bars in 4:3, I think there is only gray and gray that adapts to the colors of the screen. Y ou also can't change the input for about 20 seconds after turning the TV on, which can be annoying if you're trying to set something up then walk in the other room. The good news is, you can watch anything you want without any burn-in problems, I am guessing this is a thing of the past. I did the "break-in" DVD for about 4 hours the first day but I've never had a problem with burn-in.

Any break-in process requires at least ~150 hrs. If you continue to use black bars, burn-in could become a problem. It's best to have them gray or dynamic because the phosphors/pixels are getting worked and used. Otherwise if they are black, they're not getting used much and the rest of the panel will "age" more than the side = burn-in.

Look on page 57 & 59 of the (5020) manual.

4.3.1 Adjust for Screen Masking (black bars on sides)
Screen Masks fill areas on both sides of a picture. Some content fails to fill the screen so bars appear on each side of the picture. This section explains how to adjust screen masking.

Detect Masks
Some HD broadcasts transmit in 4:3 content with side masks. Side masks are black bars that appear on the picture’s left and right sides. If the flat panel TV’s Screen Size is set to Natural during the Auto Size process, gray bars replace the black bars. When the panel is set to Wide-Zoom, the bars are hidden. These responses reduce after-image concerns.

To allow the panel to detect side masks, follow the steps below.
1 ) Access the Option through the Setup.
2 ) Select Side Mask from the Option menu.
3 ) Select Detection from the submenu.
4 ) Select Mode 1 or Mode 2 to activate Side Mask Detection.
Mode 1 detects only black side masks and Mode 2 detects both black and illustrated side masks. Select Off to deactivate this function.
5 ) Press HOME MENU to exit the menu.
6 ) Confirm that the word “AUTO” appears in the InfoBanner.

Video signals can affect the Side Mask Detection function differently. For High Definition broadcasts, if Side Mask Detection is on, the panel automatically detects images containing side masks and shows the picture in full screen. Cycle the screen size to select Auto for video signals without aspect ratio information.

Video content also can affect the Side Mask Detection function. If a detection error occurs when trying to watch HD content, manually change the screen size to the proper setting for the content.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #12706 of 15008 Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy77 View Post

The 5020 and 6020 display gray bars when receiving 4:3 content (edit: if you don't stretch or zoom). You would have to access the service menu to change this. You cannot access the service menu without a service remote or special software.

You're able to select black or gray bars.....at least I can on my 5020. See my post #12706 above. If you don't set it to "Natural", they should be black. At least that's what the manual says.

I keep mine on Natural and Mode 2 so the bars will change colors and show illustrations where available.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #12707 of 15008 Old 12-19-2009, 05:25 PM

I'm awaiting delivery of a KRP-500M and was hoping one of you could help me out with a question.

I do not have a BR/DVD player at the moment and was hoping to use the D-Nice Evangelo2 Panel Aging settings.

My question is, if I use an hdmi cable instead of a dvi/d-sub will the KRP still automatically recognize the input as PC and therefore deprive me of control of settings such as color, tint and sharpness?
post #12708 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Hi all,
I am moments away from pulling the trigger on a new 6020, I always put these TV's out of my price range but my local store put them on clearance and I can get one for a price that makes my head spin. Even the local best buy may be able to offer me the 151 at 30% off too. I will find out tommorrow.

I have a few concerns before I pull the trigger. Since Pioneer is now out of the Plasma buisiness, will there still be suppost on the TV's over the years? Is there any TV close to the picture quality a KURO can achieve? Most importantly are there any known issues with the TV, and how happy are you all with your purchase? I wont be using the speaker bar since I have my HT system so the buzzing wont be an issue that i have read about.

I hope I can get some replies before tommorrow night because thats when the ridiculous sale ends.
post #12709 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyannkillspetey View Post

Hi all,
I am moments away from pulling the trigger on a new 6020, I always put these TV's out of my price range but my local store put them on clearance and I can get one for a price that makes my head spin. Even the local best buy may be able to offer me the 151 at 30% off too. I will find out tommorrow.

I have a few concerns before I pull the trigger. Since Pioneer is now out of the Plasma buisiness, will there still be suppost on the TV's over the years? Is there any TV close to the picture quality a KURO can achieve? Most importantly are there any known issues with the TV, and how happy are you all with your purchase? I wont be using the speaker bar since I have my HT system so the buzzing wont be an issue that i have read about.

I hope I can get some replies before tommorrow night because thats when the ridiculous sale ends.

i'm pretty sure pioneer will offer some kind of service/support for awhile since pioneer itself is not going out of business. it's possible it could be handed off to another company.

as far as picture quality, kuro is the best overall. samsung and panasonice aren't slouchers though. if you were to get any of the brands i'd think you be happy.
post #12710 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 03:28 AM

Thanx for the response, I figured the same regarding service. I almost feel that I am buying into a dying tech (plasma's) Even if the PQ is the cats meo. So let me ask this, Is there something than can compete with this TV in the 2000-2500 price range?
post #12711 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanx for the response, I figured the same regarding service. I almost feel that I am buying into a dying tech (plasma's) Even if the PQ is the cats meo. So let me ask this, Is there something than can compete with this TV in the 2000-2500 price range?

personally, i think a g, v or z series panasonic will "compete". the z is definitely out of that range though. samsung fanboys will disagree.

i own a '08 samsung and '09 g10 panasonic. the samsung plasmas generally get you the best color out of the box and hardly any tweaking. i thought my newly purchased panasonic would need some tweaking after thoroughly researching these forums. my g10 isn't broke in yet, but if the color accuracy i have now stays the same after a couple hundred hours the only tweaking i foresee is sharpness and brightness. my black levels are quite impressive. i did not foresee the picture quality being this great from this set. some people have encountered black levels going higher after usage, but even if that were to happen i do think they would still look awesome. and image retention is much much better than samsung. i have not encountered any image retention on my set yet. but anyways, as said before, i think you would be happy with any of the 3 major plasma brands. even though my experience are two models from two different years, i have viewed many a samsung plasma in store in "ideal" viewing conditions. the samsungs looked great, too. image retention still seems to be less than desirable. but definitely nowhere near bad. picture wise the samsung looks awesome, albeit slightly lighter blacks than the 50g10 i have. if you can score a great deal on a pioneer i say go for it though. i did not know how important black levels were til i came to avs, and i definitely have to say what i am experiencing on my g10 has made me a believer.
post #12712 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM

Also, is the 6020 inability to control color temperatures a big deal breaker? For all that I have researched, that seems the only hang up on this set. If I pull the trigger on this set, this TV will be it for the next 10 years, so I want to do it right. Especially when I can get it at 2G's, I would love the 151, but Best buy isnt budging as much as I would hope. I definately want a 60 inch because I currently have a 65831 Mits, downsizing to much will be unbearably noticable. I really feel like I am getting the best deal and will be happy, but Like any other man, the whole what if and what is coming out soon always bites the back of my mind. Unfortynately I live in Hawaii so many options arent available to me either. Basically I need someone to tell me, its a great set, buy it and you will be happy!! LOL.
post #12713 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 02:18 PM

You will not go wrong with the 6020. I've had the 5020 for over a year and haven't seen a TV yet that can compare. Still amazed at the quality after all this time. A pretty rare thing.
post #12714 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Yeah I am pretty excited to finally join this family. I drooled over this puppy for years and in a matter of an hour or so (helping wife clean house) I will be getting a pretty sweet deal on the 6020. Here is a question for all the wall mounters. What mount will do the TV justice. I am deathly afraid of mounting this 125 pounder on the wall. What is a great calibrator disc? What is the proper way to "burn" her in? I am sure the manual will cover it, but these are all questions I have now and I am going through the obsession stage. I feel like a little kid on christmas.

Thanx for the replys all, Merry Christmas!!
post #12715 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

You're able to select black or gray bars.....at least I can on my 5020. See my post #12706 above. If you don't set it to "Natural", they should be black. At least that's what the manual says.

I keep mine on Natural and Mode 2 so the bars will change colors and show illustrations where available.

Got it, thanks for the info.
post #12716 of 15008 Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 PM

I just bought my 6020 today and it should be delivered in a few days. I still cant believe I got it as cheap as I did, I guess we were meant to be...lol. For all other owners, what is needed to break this puppy in? Also I read some bits on this Cal software v.10 or something, what is it and what can it do that the set cant? Also where can I get my hands on it?
post #12717 of 15008 Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

personally, i think a g, v or z series panasonic will "compete". the z is definitely out of that range though. samsung fanboys will disagree.

Pfft the Panasonic plasmas barely even compete with the Samsung plasmas. There is no Panasonic plasma that comes even close to a Pioneer.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #12718 of 15008 Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 AM

for info on break-in and settings, check this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053444

after you have completed 120-150 hours of break-in, you may use the controlcal software to enter D-Nice's grayscale offsets (which is what I did and it improved the picture even more) or you can get your set professionally calibrated.

Congrats on your purchase! I hope you have a blu Ray player to really get the full benefit of your tv!

Quote:

I just bought my 6020 today and it should be delivered in a few days. I still cant believe I got it as cheap as I did, I guess we were meant to be...lol. For all other owners, what is needed to break this puppy in? Also I read some bits on this Cal software v.10 or something, what is it and what can it do that the set cant? Also where can I get my hands on it?

post #12719 of 15008 Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is the 6020 inability to control color temperatures a big deal breaker? For all that I have researched, that seems the only hang up on this set.

Color Temps are controlled by simply selecting the different A/V modes which already have different color temps built-in. See post HERE.

Quote:

Congrats, you have a truly superior hdtv. I have a bunch of hdtvs and displays of diff types to compare to and can say this w/o hesitation.

If you're looking to Maximize the adjustment and PQ potential of your 6020 then do yourself a favor and read this guide with detailed instructions or a real DIY calibration: non-elite Kuro calibration guide .

You can also just skim read it and then hire a good calibrator that will calibrate both grayscales for you using this method.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #12720 of 15008 Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanx for the great feedback guys, once I get her home, I will be following D-Nice Cal guide. I will admit doing the 150 hour continuous break in will be tough, but I want to do this right. This TV will be it for some time. I am just glad his instructions are very thorough! Since I do some gaming, I know plasmas had this issue in the past with image burn in. With the 9G KURO's is that still a problem, or has that been taken care of?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page