The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 430 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12871 of 15008 Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

Holy Hell!! Just bought a brand new Pioneer 6020 for $3876 including tax!! Gets delivered on Tuesday. To me that is a steal. Yeah, it's not an Elite but from what I read... after its been properly calibrated it can get pretty close to the Elites and for the price that is good enough for me!!

thats what i paid for pro 151 fd after tax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 15008 Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Holy Hell!! Just bought a brand new Pioneer 6020 for $3876 including tax!! Gets delivered on Tuesday. To me that is a steal. Yeah, it's not an Elite but from what I read... after its been properly calibrated it can get pretty close to the Elites and for the price that is good enough for me!!

Great deal! Enjoy!!
post #12873 of 15008 Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

thats what i paid for pro 151 fd after tax

Well considering how I have not been able to find any 60 inch Elites in my area, the lowly 6020 will have to do.
post #12874 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Well considering how I have not been able to find any 60 inch Elites in my area, the lowly 6020 will have to do.

Don't worry, I got the same reaction when I posted similar pricing on the 6020. I love a deal as much as the next guy but everyone won't find the pricing that some are claiming, especially with supply dwindling. I just did a google search on the Pro 151 and everything I see is $5,800 and up. Elites sold online don't have the warranty if memory serves me correctly. Relax and enjoy your tv.

Wife: Why is the movie so loud?
Me: What?!
post #12875 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 AM

just finished aging my 500m. used evangelos' dvd and d-nice settings. the aging went from hour 1 to 157. now have 195 hrs. should i wait longer to calibrate or schedule now? picture is fantastic now. thanks for any help
post #12876 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
You are ready to go now

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me with your Display & City

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #12877 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Obsession View Post

Don't worry, I got the same reaction when I posted similar pricing on the 6020. I love a deal as much as the next guy but everyone won't find the pricing that some are claiming, especially with supply dwindling. I just did a google search on the Pro 151 and everything I see is $5,800 and up. Elites sold online don't have the warranty if memory serves me correctly. Relax and enjoy your tv.

Thanks!! Glad to see not everyone around here is all about busting peoples bubble. I got mine with the warranty which is what kept me from pulling the trigger on getting one online from AbesofMaine.com.

How long have you had your 6020? Any tips or suggestions besides the usual "keep it safe settings for the first 150 hours" bit? I pretty much just mixed up my viewing materials when I broke in my Panny 58PZ800U. I occasionally ran the break in DVD if I was at home not doing anything but I didn't rush and leave my TV on for days...
post #12878 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks!! Glad to see not everyone around here is all about busting peoples bubble. I got mine with the warranty which is what kept me from pulling the trigger on getting one online from AbesofMaine.com.

How long have you had your 6020? Any tips or suggestions besides the usual "keep it safe settings for the first 150 hours" bit? I pretty much just mixed up my viewing materials when I broke in my Panny 58PZ800U. I occasionally ran the break in DVD if I was at home not doing anything but I didn't rush and leave my TV on for days...

Just got it Jan 13th actually so there are members who are much more qualified to speak about special tips and suggestions. The one thing that helped me in using it was to select each individual picture mode and go into the screen where you can modify the settings. You may not want to modify them just yet but it let's you see why a mode looks the way it does. For example "game" as a mode looked good to me initially but I knew from reviews that it was less than ideal. I compared the settings and noted that the difference between -15 and +3 sharpening is likely what made me think that text looked especially soft on movie mode. Do the same with brightness and color as you determine what looks good at night vs the day. I use movie at night mostly and Optimum during a bright day.

D-Nice said he could calibrate late in Feb I believe. I will admit to having concern about a calibration making the picture way too dim. Movie mode is already dim sometimes. I know it's accurate, but you want to be happy with the picture. Out of a calibration, more than anything I would like a night mode and a day mode similar to the Elites > without the Elite cost of course

post #12879 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill288 View Post

just finished aging my 500m. used evangelos' dvd and d-nice settings. the aging went from hour 1 to 157. now have 195 hrs. should i wait longer to calibrate or schedule now? picture is fantastic now. thanks for any help

hey Bill, I am running slides but they stop after a single run..can u please advise how to make slide show repeat?
post #12880 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

hey Bill, I am running slides but they stop after a single run..can u please advise how to make slide show repeat?

Your DVD player should have an option to repeat or loop the contents of the disk.

Calibration Resources:

post #12881 of 15008 Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Look for a "Title Repeat" on your DVD player.
post #12882 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Newbie here....

I own a PDP-4280 and am quite happy with it. I would have liked to have jumped on the 5020 frenzy when they were selling like hot-cakes but was too busy paying for a roof repair (urgh!).

Does anyone know of a private stock room where they are just waiting to hear from me and me alone about buying one??? LOL! (wink, wink)

I did find a BB in my area with one on display. Killer price but they have had it for two years. It was a simple return at the time (nothing wrong, just purchased for something else), but the thing has literally spent 6 years of its life in that showroom already.

Is it even worth considering at this point? Or am I just toying with my lust for another Pioneer?
post #12883 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Obsession View Post

Do the same with brightness and color as you determine what looks good at night vs the day. I use movie at night mostly and Optimum during a bright day.

D-Nice said he could calibrate late in Feb I believe. I will admit to having concern about a calibration making the picture way too dim. Movie mode is already dim sometimes. I know it's accurate, but you want to be happy with the picture. Out of a calibration, more than anything I would like a night mode and a day mode similar to the Elites > without the Elite cost of course

I'd ask D-Nice about calibrating both your movie mode and your standard mode/performance mode. It's not ISF day but you could get a night/day effect that way.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #12884 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here but just wanted to share my adventure in getting a 6020.

So I've been reading just about every post for the Pioneers, Pannys and the Sammys. (try saying that 3 times fast "Pioneers, Pannys and the Sammys") and I concluded that I should wait for the 2010 Pannys to see if they are really up to the KURO standards. Then I dug deeper and found that people are finding killer deals on KURO stock still out there.

So I go to a BB/MAG store and ask if they have any of the 101FDs avail and the guy checks. 103 in the warehouse. " me-OK great, how much? salesman-$4500 MRSP. me-So what kind of deal can you give me? salesmanWe got a really nice Samsung, went on sale yesterday. me-So, No deals on the Pioneer? salesman-Let's go take a look at that Samsung."

I looked at the Samsung and it was a nice set at a good price but I was either going to get a KURO or wait for 2010 models. 4500 was way more than I was willing to spend so I left and went over to Ultimate Electronics just to look around. There it was, the 6020 ,Price tag= $3994.94, still more than I wanted to spend.

As I was leaving the store the manager asked if I needed any help and I remembered seeing the AR Xsight color remote on sale at BB for $80 so I asked him if he would price match(BB was out of stock). He did and as he was ringing it up he asked if I needed anything else and I just jokingly said" not unless you can give me a killer deal on the Pioneer 6020." So he called over Travis and he went to the computer and punched some keys and said "hows 3000 sound" I said "sounds like a deal" Travis printed out the sales ticket and the manger took a look at it and asked what was wrong with him. Travis said one of the other managers said he could sale them for that if he could find them in stock. I actually had to pick it up from a different store but I didn't care. So as Travis is ringing me up the manager is still giving him a hard time about the price. Probably just sales games but I was getting a kick out of it. So, Thanks Ultimate, you have my future business. The only thing I find BB good for is for price matching elsewhere.

Well I got it home and set it up temperarally on its stand until I can get a wall mount. I was so excited I got a KURO I forgot to get one. The one I am using now is only good for up to 55 inch. Anyways here it is. 40 inch samsung LCD in the background(sorry bout the finger prints). I also included some shots I took of the screen while running the Burn-in images posted by D-NICE. They were taken with a Canon 180mm Macro so you can see the individual pixels. This site has been very informative in my decision to purchase so I want to give a big thanks to all the members. I feel good about my purchase.

Quick question, if anyone made it this far. Am I supposed to just leave the TV on for 150 hours just cycling through the different color images? Thanks in advance.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #12885 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

I'd ask D-Nice about calibrating both your movie mode and your standard mode/performance mode....

I use Movie for DVD & BD, and Standard for cable, with the latter giving me the "pop" that I want for viewing sports programming. Eventually, I will have D-Nice calibrate my panel exactly that way...whether for day or night viewing.

TG, congrats on the purchase and getting a great deal. You will be very pleased for a long period of time! Run the break-in constantly, intermittently, or between normal viewing. It really doesn't matter.
post #12886 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM

I admit it. I love THX certified, properly calibrated Panasonic panels. I knew the picture quality was inferior to the Elite's, but I could never justify the cost. Every Elite I saw, I was impressed, but never found the right Elite at the right price to change directions.

I got a call for a 500m that I could not pass up. It has been on for an hour in Pure mode. Kevin Miller of TweakTv is already scheduled for a calibration. Even with a standard definition signal and one hour of use, it is spectacular. Nothing new to anyone here, but it is so amazing.

Thanks to all for the help with the master power switch. Lesson well learned.
post #12887 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG_ONE View Post

Hi everyone, I'm new here but just wanted to share my adventure in getting a 6020.

So I've been reading just about every post for the Pioneers, Pannys and the Sammys. (try saying that 3 times fast "Pioneers, Pannys and the Sammys") and I concluded that I should wait for the 2010 Pannys to see if they are really up to the KURO standards. Then I dug deeper and found that people are finding killer deals on KURO stock still out there.

So I go to a BB/MAG store and ask if they have any of the 101FDs avail and the guy checks. 103 in the warehouse. " me-OK great, how much? salesman-$4500 MRSP. me-So what kind of deal can you give me? salesmanWe got a really nice Samsung, went on sale yesterday. me-So, No deals on the Pioneer? salesman-Let's go take a look at that Samsung."

I looked at the Samsung and it was a nice set at a good price but I was either going to get a KURO or wait for 2010 models. 4500 was way more than I was willing to spend so I left and went over to Ultimate Electronics just to look around. There it was, the 6020 ,Price tag= $3994.94, still more than I wanted to spend.

As I was leaving the store the manager asked if I needed any help and I remembered seeing the AR Xsight color remote on sale at BB for $80 so I asked him if he would price match(BB was out of stock). He did and as he was ringing it up he asked if I needed anything else and I just jokingly said" not unless you can give me a killer deal on the Pioneer 6020." So he called over Travis and he went to the computer and punched some keys and said "hows 3000 sound" I said "sounds like a deal" Travis printed out the sales ticket and the manger took a look at it and asked what was wrong with him. Travis said one of the other managers said he could sale them for that if he could find them in stock. I actually had to pick it up from a different store but I didn't care. So as Travis is ringing me up the manager is still giving him a hard time about the price. Probably just sales games but I was getting a kick out of it. So, Thanks Ultimate, you have my future business. The only thing I find BB good for is for price matching elsewhere.

Well I got it home and set it up temperarally on its stand until I can get a wall mount. I was so excited I got a KURO I forgot to get one. The one I am using now is only good for up to 55 inch. Anyways here it is. 40 inch samsung LCD in the background(sorry bout the finger prints). I also included some shots I took of the screen while running the Burn-in images posted by D-NICE. They were taken with a Canon 180mm Macro so you can see the individual pixels. This site has been very informative in my decision to purchase so I want to give a big thanks to all the members. I feel good about my purchase.

Quick question, if anyone made it this far. Am I supposed to just leave the TV on for 150 hours just cycling through the different color images? Thanks in advance.

Congrats. That is a killer deal.
post #12888 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

great! enjoy!
post #12889 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedalneil View Post

I admit it. I love THX certified, properly calibrated Panasonic panels. I knew the picture quality was inferior to the Elite's, but I could never justify the cost. Every Elite I saw, I was impressed, but never found the right Elite at the right price to change directions.

I got a call for a 500m that I could not pass up. It has been on for an hour in Pure mode. Kevin Miller of TweakTv is already scheduled for a calibration. Even with a standard definition signal and one hour of use, it is spectacular. Nothing new to anyone here, but it is so amazing.

One hour of use and you already scheduled a calibration? You should wait until at least 100, and preferably 150-200 hours before getting it calibrated. Have you considered getting the ISF patch from ControlCal to get the most out of your calibration? You might want to take a look at this list of licensed ControlCal NA KRP-M calibrators.

(Updated 10/29/2009)
post #12890 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

I use Movie for DVD & BD, and Standard for cable, with the latter giving me the "pop" that I want for viewing sports programming. Eventually, I will have D-Nice calibrate my panel exactly that way...whether for day or night viewing.

TG, congrats on the purchase and getting a great deal. You will be very pleased for a long period of time! Run the break-in constantly, intermittently, or between normal viewing. It really doesn't matter.

Thanks Jim, I don't think I could have gone 150hrs without watching something.
post #12891 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Thanks hhaller.
post #12892 of 15008 Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

great! enjoy!

Thanks zoro.
post #12893 of 15008 Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

So I finally got my Kuro 6020 this morning and low and behold it was NOT cracked. Blew a sigh of relief....however....the spacing for the mount screws are about 8 inches further apart than my 58 inch Panny plasma.

I had just bought a new TV stand that came with the necessary brackets for TV's up to 60 inches but I guess, I just wasn't that lucky!! I'm wondering if I buy another third party mount if I can attach it to the bracket on this stand? So frustrating!

At least the Kuro was safe!
post #12894 of 15008 Old 01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedalneil View Post

You should wait at least 100 hours, if not more, before getting
a calibration. There may be a slight drift in color temp. early
on in its life. At least there was in my Elite 151 documented with
my I1pro, my panel drifted slightly warmer.

Just something to think about.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #12895 of 15008 Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have drank the Kuro Kool-aid and I LOVE it!!!

I watched "The Killers:Live From Royal Albert Hall" Blu-ray tonight and was floored with this disc. What an outstanding title to watch in it's entirety for the first time on my new 6020. Blacks and colors are just amazing on this set, I'm a believer!!!!
post #12896 of 15008 Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok Guys.. I need some help.. I puirchased a pioneer 5020 about a year ago.. when i see movies through ps3 its awesome n motion is smooth.. now sometimes when i watch my pioneer 5020 with direct tv hddvr and i have watched lost on channel 10 before or some stuff on channel 7 or the other day watching pirates on channel 10 and i noticed some motion stuttering.... i notice it every so often.. I never notice it with my ps3 but with channel 7 or 10 direct tv hddvr i do notice it sometimes.. can it be the tv or the box...
post #12897 of 15008 Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

Ok Guys.. I need some help.. I puirchased a pioneer 5020 about a year ago.. when i see movies through ps3 its awesome n motion is smooth.. now sometimes when i watch my pioneer 5020 with direct tv hddvr and i have watched lost on channel 10 before or some stuff on channel 7 or the other day watching pirates on channel 10 and i noticed some motion stuttering.... i notice it every so often.. I never notice it with my ps3 but with channel 7 or 10 direct tv hddvr i do notice it sometimes.. can it be the tv or the box...

Do you have another TV you can try you're HDDVR on?
post #12898 of 15008 Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:

So I finally got my Kuro 6020 this morning and low and behold it was NOT cracked. Blew a sigh of relief....however....the spacing for the mount screws are about 8 inches further apart than my 58 inch Panny plasma.

I had just bought a new TV stand that came with the necessary brackets for TV's up to 60 inches but I guess, I just wasn't that lucky!! I'm wondering if I buy another third party mount if I can attach it to the bracket on this stand? So frustrating!

At least the Kuro was safe!

Congrats, I'm also in the process of looking for a mount for mine.

Quote:

I have drank the Kuro Kool-aid and I LOVE it!!!

I watched "The Killers:Live From Royal Albert Hall" Blu-ray tonight and was floored with this disc. What an outstanding title to watch in it's entirety for the first time on my new 6020. Blacks and colors are just amazing on this set, I'm a believer!!!!

My KUROsity got the best of me. The blacks are killer, I'm noticing the black bars are darker than the black cloth on my speakers with the lights out.
post #12899 of 15008 Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

...I never notice it with my ps3 but with channel 7 or 10 direct tv hddvr i do notice it sometimes....

Without knowing what you are watching...if we don't have DirecTV we don't know the channel locations...are you watching a high def channel? If it isn't happening on the input the PS3 is on, switch that input to the sat box, and see if it persists. If it's the same, it's the box.
post #12900 of 15008 Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

I'd ask D-Nice about calibrating both your movie mode and your standard mode/performance mode. It's not ISF day but you could get a night/day effect that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Good ideas, thank you.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page