The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 433 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12961 of 15008 Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Just doing the math, if you rented the equipment, etc it would cost around $175. $105 for the rental of the x-rite, cable $10, controlcal $60. A professional calibration is around $300. So the difference is $125. The question you need to ask is if you can calibrate you tv as good as a professional and save $125. If you can, then it's worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12962 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xphan99 View Post

My 11 month old 6020 developed a strange problem. I use it mostly to watch OTA programs. When I channel surfing and going through channel 26.3 (KTSF-D3, SF Bay area) the digital tuner would freeze and show "Starting up. Please wait". Once in that state, turning on/off or power cycle won't recover. However, last time I waited a day it came back with channel 2.

Contacted TV Unlimited for warranty repair. Did anyone ever have had this problem? A s/w bug? A TV killing station?

I just figured out and fixed my Elite Pro-151FD with the same problem. I tried waiting it out for a day with everything unplugged (twice) and it didn't recover.

So this is what I did today, and it fixed the issue:
- Go to Pioneer's website and download the firmware upgrade. Read the instructions carefully a few times before you do anything.
- Read the instructions again!
- Stick a USB stick into your computer, remove everything on there, and reformat it.
- Unzip the firmware upgarde file, and copy the folder "Update" to the USB drive.
- Read the instructions again, and double check everything.
- Follow the instructions (turn on the TV, unplug powercord, then stick USB into the TV, plug in the powercord, and turn on the TV.)

This is the tricky part
- the TV will turn on, and you will see a bar of text telling you the TV is restarting. And it will restart a few times. The orange light will not turn on as per the instruction sheet. But don't panic.
- Double check to see that there is a faint glow of red light around the USB connector. (That means the USB is working)
- Leave the TV be, go grab a bite or something and come back in 30 minutes. You should see that the blue light and the red light will flash alternately. Double check to see that the red glow around the USB connector has been shut off. If not, leave the TV alone until the glow is gone.
- Follow the instruction manual to unplug the powercord.
- Remove the USB drive.
- Turn on the TV. You should see a message that the firmware update was successful. The TV will restart again automatically. And the first thing is that the channel 26.3 will come back on.
- Go to the set up menu and have the TV scan all the channels again.
- Set your favorite channels.
- You should be all set to go.

FrankC
post #12963 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Just doing the math, if you rented the equipment, etc it would cost around $175. $105 for the rental of the x-rite, cable $10, controlcal $60. A professional calibration is around $300. So the difference is $125. The question you need to ask is if you can calibrate you tv as good as a professional and save $125. If you can, then it's worth a try.

Since I did D-Nice's offsets I already have the cables and ControlCal so I'm looking at $105. But I didn't realize calibration was only $300...for some reason I had $700 stuck in my head. I'll look further into that option. Back to the original question though...since there's not much you can calibrate on the non-elites....will I see that much of a difference if I already used D-Nice's controlcal offsets?
post #12964 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefan View Post

Since I did D-Nice's offsets I already have the cables and ControlCal so I'm looking at $105. But I didn't realize calibration was only $300...for some reason I had $700 stuck in my head. I'll look further into that option. Back to the original question though...since there's not much you can calibrate on the non-elites....will I see that much of a difference if I already used D-Nice's controlcal offsets?

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm in the same situation as you, and wonder how much of a visual difference it would really be. It would probably be a pretty significant difference on the graphs, but how much of an improvement would that translate to visually. I remember reading somewhere that D-Nice's setting would get you 95% of the way to a calibrated set, and you'd need a meter to get the last 5%.

post #12965 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm in the same situation as you, and wonder how much of a visual difference it would really be. It would probably be a pretty significant difference on the graphs, but how much of an improvement would that translate to visually. I remember reading somewhere that D-Nice's setting would get you 95% of the way to a calibrated set, and you'd need a meter to get the last 5%.

D-Nice's offsets are meant for certain production runs of the panel. If your panel wasn't from the same lot that D-Nice used, all bets are off.

As for how much of a difference, I'll leave that to someone who's gone through the process.
post #12966 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefan View Post

... Back to the original question though...since there's not much you can calibrate on the non-elites....will I see that much of a difference if I already used D-Nice's controlcal offsets?

Quote:

but how much of an improvement would that translate to visually. I remember reading somewhere that D-Nice's setting would get you 95% of the way to a calibrated set, and you'd need a meter to get the last 5%.

I used (slightly customized) D-Nice settings initially on my 6020 before getting a full pro calibration by David Abrams. I also have multiple hd displays, calibrated and uncalibrated.

How much difference you see is in many ways subjective to how much difference you can appreciate in Image Quality. Many people for instance are not accustomed to evaluating picture quality very closely. Some people just look at things more critically than others.

I find that the longer I learned to watch a calibrated display the more I appreciated the difference in the calibrated displays and the uncalibrated ones. So even if 'the numbers' said the display improved 5% the more quality concious viewer could see much more difference while some viewers may see it as very little.

I generally research purchases 1st and buy pretty good displays so they all get a very nice picture. The calibrated display gets an excellent picture which really shines on the best materials such as quality blu-rays and good hd broadcasts.

Specifically for this model TV I find the calibration difference to be quite significant. Grayscale is really the entire foundation of calibration and in this case it generally results in an improvement in color as well so though it may not seem you're calibrating much you get more bang for your buck when you get a good grayscale on this set.

Visually this shows up most obviously to me in the quality of Skin Tones. A calibrated display produces the most beautiful and accurate skin tones and on this display I could never dial in truly accurate skin tones without a real grayscale calibration. I could also not completely dial out the set's slightly reddish tint which it had out of the box. I was able to adust it down but never out. Grayscale calibration visually eliminated the reddish tint.

You can DIY calibrate or get a pro. If you go pro I suggest getting a calibrator that has some experience with ControlCal and this display model if possible. I have David Abrams coming to calibrate my new JVC projector and touch up my Kuro next week, so my money says the calibration difference is worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Insider thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #12967 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 AM

I would love to get a professional calibration, but there aren't any calibrators in Miami on the list of ControlCal's Professionals who can calibrate. Plus the cost difference between renting and hiring a pro. When you said you couldn't dial out the reddish tint, do you mean with a meter using ControlCal? Thanks for the thoughts.

post #12968 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would love to get a professional calibration, but there aren't any calibrators in Miami on the list of ControlCal's Professionals who can calibrate. Plus the cost difference between renting and hiring a pro. When you said you couldn't dial out the reddish tint, do you mean with a meter using ControlCal? Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm in miami as well and had inguired before w/ D-Nice.He comes to miami when his schedule permits to my understanding.I believe he was just down here before the new year.
post #12969 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

I will be in Miami the weekend of 3/5. If you would like to be added to my calibration schedule, please email me at audiovideofidelity@gmail.com.

post #12970 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

i'm in miami as well and had inguired before w/ d-nice.he comes to miami when his schedule permits to my understanding.i believe he was just down here before the new year.

3/5 - 3/7

post #12971 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Anyone know a good calibrator for the Northern Virginia area?
post #12972 of 15008 Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

Anyone know a good calibrator for the Northern Virginia area?

where in N. Virginia?

post #12973 of 15008 Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 482
As someone who had his display calibrated by DNice I highly recommend spending the money for a professional calibration if you don't have the tools to DIY - for me the improvement in picture was huge, especially with color, skin tones (as noted by Dahlism) and shadow detail. I also highly recommend DNice, while I am sure there are other very good calibrators out their, the 2 or 3 hours I spent with him where not only pleasant but very informative. Double bonus, you get your display calibrated and 2 or 3 hours of tutoring if you choose to watch.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #12974 of 15008 Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 AM

I would like to mount my Pioneer PDP-6020FD on the BDI Vista 9960.
BDI's bracket will not work with the large Vesa mounting pattern (850mm x 500mm) of the 6020 as it not long enough.

However, if I use the mounting bracket from a PDM750F-11 or Sanus VMPL3 (or similar), will this work?

Looking for someone that has either tried and succeeded or tried and failed this piece of furniture before I pull the trigger...Thanks, Andrew
post #12975 of 15008 Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM

5020 for $1400 or 1140 for $900.

Will I regret picking the 1140 to save some money?

Thanks in advance.
post #12976 of 15008 Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM

I did firmware upgrade successfully, with updated version verified, but the problem persists: 26.1 fine, 26.2 fine, 26.3... long pause then tuner reboot. Aftward all tuner operation menu greyed out as if CPU is busy with something. Direct tuning to 2.1 would come back with ----.---

Mine does recover overnight with TV turned off through remote but still plugged in.

Today the repair person came and replaced the tuner card. Same problem afterward. He had a Mitubishi with same problem. My Visio plasma handles the channel fine.

I have to skip this TV killing channel 26.3. Kind of missed it: it's all foreign languages.

Any ways to get Pioneer to issue a fix for it? It must be s/w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam91 View Post

I just figured out and fixed my Elite Pro-151FD with the same problem. I tried waiting it out for a day with everything unplugged (twice) and it didn't recover.

So this is what I did today, and it fixed the issue:
- Go to Pioneer's website and download the firmware upgrade. Read the instructions carefully a few times before you do anything.
- Read the instructions again!
- Stick a USB stick into your computer, remove everything on there, and reformat it.
- Unzip the firmware upgarde file, and copy the folder "Update" to the USB drive.
- Read the instructions again, and double check everything.
- Follow the instructions (turn on the TV, unplug powercord, then stick USB into the TV, plug in the powercord, and turn on the TV.)

This is the tricky part
- the TV will turn on, and you will see a bar of text telling you the TV is restarting. And it will restart a few times. The orange light will not turn on as per the instruction sheet. But don't panic.
- Double check to see that there is a faint glow of red light around the USB connector. (That means the USB is working)
- Leave the TV be, go grab a bite or something and come back in 30 minutes. You should see that the blue light and the red light will flash alternately. Double check to see that the red glow around the USB connector has been shut off. If not, leave the TV alone until the glow is gone.
- Follow the instruction manual to unplug the powercord.
- Remove the USB drive.
- Turn on the TV. You should see a message that the firmware update was successful. The TV will restart again automatically. And the first thing is that the channel 26.3 will come back on.
- Go to the set up menu and have the TV scan all the channels again.
- Set your favorite channels.
- You should be all set to go.

FrankC

post #12977 of 15008 Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSang View Post

Thanks in advance.

$1400 was what I paid for my 5020FD. I've never seen the 1140, but can attest to what everyone told me before I bought mine. The 5020FD is worth every penny.

post #12978 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Where do you see a 5020 for $1400? Used or refurb, floor/display model?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #12979 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:

$1400 was what I paid for my 5020FD. I've never seen the 1140, but can attest to what everyone told me before I bought mine. The 5020FD is worth every penny.

I appreciate the imput.
post #12980 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Where do you see a 5020 for $1400? Used or refurb, floor/display model?

Used (~ 4mos) from a friend's friend. He has upgraded to a 60".
post #12981 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 AM

I'd go for the 5020 for sure...$1400 and all.
post #12982 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Quote:

Used (~ 4mos) from a friend's friend. He has upgraded to a 60".

I gotcha, thanks for answering.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #12983 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post

I'd go for the 5020 for sure...$1400 and all.

Eventhough I have never seen the 1140 but I'm certain the picture quality on the 5020 is a lot more superior based on reading threads like this. But on the other hand, we're talking about an elite here, sure it's a 7th gen but I'm pretty sure it should be better than the 5020 in areas like build quality and calibration capability. Not to mention the elite good look.

So based on pq alone I'll go for the 5020. Thanks for the input.
post #12984 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I just took delivery of AV Foundry's new Video EQ which should do some interesting things for my NE Kuro.

For those that don't know the Video EQ pro is a small box with a simple HDMI in/out that connects right before your display. Think if it as an inline grayscale and CMS tuner. In theory it should correct the NE's flaws, namely the oversaturated Green and Reds along with a slightly lower than optimum gamma. The box also allows up to 4 different profiles, for instance day and night, which can be toggled via IR.

Most displays have 2 levels of grayscale control such as low and high. Well how about 11 steps (Not that the Kuro needs it since it tracks RGB very consistently anyway)

Here's the CMS controls the TV should have included from the factory.

Theoretically I should be able to dial in this display better than any Elite Kuro, but we shall see.

post #12985 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you said you couldn't dial out the reddish tint, do you mean with a meter using ControlCal? Thanks for the thoughts.

No, I meant I could make some helpful adjustments to tint and skin tone using just the basic picture controls, but results were not near as nice a full grayscale calibration with ControlCal.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
post #12986 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I just took delivery of AV Foundry's new Video EQ which should do some interesting things for my NE Kuro.

For those that don't know the Video EQ pro is a small box with a simple HDMI in/out that connects right before your display. Think if it as an inline grayscale and CMS tuner. In theory it should correct the NE's flaws, namely the oversaturated Green and Reds along with a slightly lower than optimum gamma. The box also allows up to 4 different profiles, for instance day and night, which can be toggled via IR.

Most displays have 2 levels of grayscale control such as low and high. Well how about 11 steps (Not that the Kuro needs it since it tracks RGB very consistently anyway)

Wow, that looks neato. So just curious, how much is that little device?

Quote:

Here's the CMS controls the TV should have included from the factory.

Theoretically I should be able to dial in this display better than any Elite Kuro, but we shall see.

But the pic says the CMS is not supported?

Let us know what kind of results you get. Should be am interesting delta to take since you already have a ControlCal based calibration right?

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
post #12987 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Wow, that looks neato. So just curious, how much is that little device?

But the pic says the CMS is not supported?

Let us know what kind of results you get. Should be am interesting delta to take since you already have a ControlCal based calibration right?

It's not exactly cheap at $1199 MSRP. They also have a less expensive version that excludes the CMS http://www.spectracal.com/VideoEq.html

When I took the screen shots I didn't have the Video EQ connected I should have a full report pretty soon.

post #12988 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Except for an Elite with the VideoEq Pro

The NE's will benefit from the VEQ, I'm not sure Elite Owners would want to go this route.. I'm mainly using my VideoEq Pro for my Projector to fix the gamut but with the 4 memories I'll be using it for both my 141FD and FP...

AVR --- VEQ Pro --- 4x2 Matrix Switch = FP and 141FD

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #12989 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Took some time and played with the CMS with the App and my VideoEq Pro..

I simply put it in the chain for our main Display (141FD) and my wife is watching Ellen... Pretty slick to have all that control for the Primaries and Secondaries... "Why are you making their skin green" my wife asked..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #12990 of 15008 Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher008 View Post

I would like to mount my Pioneer PDP-6020FD on the BDI Vista 9960.
BDI's bracket will not work with the large Vesa mounting pattern (850mm x 500mm) of the 6020 as it not long enough.

However, if I use the mounting bracket from a PDM750F-11 or Sanus VMPL3 (or similar), will this work?

Looking for someone that has either tried and succeeded or tried and failed this piece of furniture before I pull the trigger...Thanks, Andrew

fletcher the vmpl3 "b" is what your looking for...got mine a overstock for like half price....its a beast and easy to put up. and you can choose tilt or flat(closer to wall) mount out of the same kit. i love it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page