The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 440 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13171 of 15008 Old 03-20-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

OTA- HD really looks great on my 5020.

You should check out the new release PONYO in blu-ray , on my 6020 I couldnt take my eyes off it . The Colors and detail were beautiful and I looked like this while watching it and then couldnt stop doing this

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 15008 Old 03-20-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post

Can anyone point out how to use the picture in picture feature on the 6020, specifically how to get a picture on the second screen. My HDMI goes to input 7, I want to see input 1 after I use the picture in picture function instead of blank screen. Manual is not helpful at all. Thanks in advance.

One of the PIP's, sources must be from the TV's own internal tuner. You can not use two external sources for PIP.
post #13173 of 15008 Old 03-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just bought a 6020FD

WOW I made it in the back door. I've been looking to ditch a horrid Olivea 65 LCD since the first week I bought it 18 months ago and today made an offer to my local Ultimate Electronics for $2,600 for an open box that blew everything in the store out of the water, I'll look back into 3D Plasma on holidays 2012.

It should be here on Monday along with the Dish HD so I can't wait for TV to be Kick Ass again. My LCD had horrible ghosting mixed with bad motion blur mixed with blue blacks, mixed with uneven white levels and the panel had 6 noticeable bands(Banding) and ugly viewing angle unless your dead on in front of the unit.

Goodbye and Good riddance Crappy Olivea LCD that made me HATE TV.

Hello to my KURO brothers. I haven't looked through the treads but I'm assuming that getting into the service menu to adjust R,G,B values with a light meter is all outlined in a tread somewhere. Anyway YYEEEEAAAAAA I'm in .
post #13174 of 15008 Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhomes View Post

I just bought a 6020FD

WOW I made it in the back door. I've been looking to ditch a horrid Olivea 65 LCD since the first week I bought it 18 months ago and today made an offer to my local Ultimate Electronics for $2,600 for an open box that blew everything in the store out of the water, I'll look back into 3D Plasma on holidays 2012.

It should be here on Monday along with the Dish HD so I can't wait for TV to be Kick Ass again. My LCD had horrible ghosting mixed with bad motion blur mixed with blue blacks, mixed with uneven white levels and the panel had 6 noticeable bands(Banding) and ugly viewing angle unless your dead on in front of the unit.

Hello to my KURO brothers. I haven't looked through the treads but I'm assuming that getting into the service menu to adjust R,G,B values with a light meter is all outlined in a tread somewhere. Anyway YYEEEEAAAAAA I'm in .

You will really enjoy the tv! Unfortunately you won't be able to get into the service menu without software like Controlcal, etc. The only things you can adjust without any software are the contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and tint. No adjustments to R, G, B, gamma, color temperature or grayscale without the proper software and using a pc.
post #13175 of 15008 Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just bought a 6020FD

Much congrats your going to really enjoy it. I've logged close to 140 hours on mine in 3 weeks and its almost time for calibration I cant wait the pq is great now and cant imagine it getting any better so will see.

My current HT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13176 of 15008 Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

One of the PIP's, sources must be from the TV's own internal tuner. You can not use two external sources for PIP.

Well that explains it. But why gimp it like that?? Makes no sense.
post #13177 of 15008 Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:

I just bought a 6020FD

You'll want to check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053444

I used D-Nice's recommended settings without doing the break in slide show and the picture is awesome. Haven't used controlCAL yet, plan on doing that today. You're going to love the 6020.
post #13178 of 15008 Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I love my 6020 ! Visually it is now officially my best upgrade ever !

My current HT
post #13179 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by egan View Post

well that explains it. But why gimp it like that?? Makes no sense.

$$$

To sell more elites

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #13180 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 AM

Just to check, for the gamers out there, what setting are you at for Sharpness?

I have my 500A set to -15, but I'm too sure if it's supposed to be this way for games?
post #13181 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefan View Post

Back to the original question though...since there's not much you can calibrate on the non-elites....will I see that much of a difference if I already used D-Nice's controlcal offsets?

Going to answer my own question. Decided to bite the bullet and had D-Nice calibrate my set (incredibly nice and down to earth guy btw). I have one of the earlier sets from back in 2008 in case that makes a difference. For background on me...I'm not a videophile...I don't watch TV in a dark home theater only room in the basement...I do like the LCD look once in a while (gentle with the flaming) especially for sports...and I have no clue what I'm looking at on a calibration report. With that said...

Pre-anything
Out of the box I was thrilled with the 6020 (came from a Mits rear projection that wasn't calibrated) and actually loved Optimum mode. As time went on I started to appreciate Movie mode more and Optimum just started looking cartoon-like to me. Unfortunately Movie mode just had a yellow tint to it that I couldn't get past so I'd go back and forth with Standard and Performance.

Using DNice's offsets and ControlCal
After using the offsets, the whites in Movie mode became actually white and lost the yellow tint. From that point on I stuck with Movie mode...standard and performance now looked blueish (not sure if it was the offsets that did that or me appreciating Movie more and realizing those other modes were just "off"). Still though...during the day or if the lights were on a higher setting...movie mode still looked a little flat to me.

After DNice's calibration
D-Nice commented that Movie mode pre-calibration was pretty close to what it would be post and wasn't sure if I'd notice a difference. He also calibrated Peformance mode. After he was done (about 2 hours), I didn't really notice much of a difference with Movie mode but Peformance looked 10x better and was now a valid setting to use for me. Over the next few days of switching back and forth, I now use Peformance mode during the day and Movie at night. Now though, when watching movie mode at night with the lights dim or out (have bias lighting), the picture is absolutely stunning. There are definate differences pre/post calibration and now the colors look spot on and it just seems like there's more depth...hard to explain. Don't think it's in my head since the wife made a comment about it last night and she couldn't care less if we were watching a black and white tv.

So my recommendation if anyone is wondering if they should calibrate...I'd say yes it's well worth it. If not, then at the very very very very least get ControlCal and do the offsets (unless later production builds are different and the offsets wouldn't work? No clue about that...but for mine they worked beautifully)
post #13182 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Great report thanks.

post #13183 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:

So my recommendation if anyone is wondering if they should calibrate...I'd say yes it's well worth it. If not, then at the very very very very least get ControlCal and do the offsets (unless later production builds are different and the offsets wouldn't work? No clue about that...but for mine they worked beautifully)

How easy or how hard is it to instal ControlCal into my 6020fd?
post #13184 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hi duckman23,

Step by Step in Post 2 Here

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #13185 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys I have a Pioneer 5020 and a PS3 and want to make sure I have the best settings for the ps3.. As Far as RGB Full range limited or full, super white on or off also theres settings for BD/DVD video output RGB,Y PB, or auto and on 1080 p 24 playback auto or on. Can you guys help on these 4 settings..
post #13186 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

To sell more elites

Except that P-in-P/PIP is "broken" in Elites too. The televisions have the same constraint as the NE and the monitors support one digital + one analog.

post #13187 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM

I bought one of these this weekend (6020). I almost went with a 50" Elite, but I've had a 65" so long, I didn't think I could go down to 50. Currently running the D-Nice thumbwheel drive files and settings, with an eye toward installation this upcoming weekend. Couldn't resist a couple hours of basketball before letting the break-in take place. Awesome. Hard to wait the 150 hours. Ha!
post #13188 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Decided to bite the bullet and had D-Nice calibrate my set (incredibly nice and down to earth guy btw).

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

post #13189 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 PM

My 500M was delivered today! The bad thing is it is still sitting in the box because my free stand and Blueray player went Fedex ground and are scheduled for tomorrow. Delivery guy was cool and he was in no hurry as I was the last stop at 1 pm. He had to go make pickups and then help load trucks if he got back early.

I have to get rid of my current TV cabinet because it was designed for up to a 32" SD CRT. I told my dad I was getting rid of the cabinet and he was like why didn't you get a TV to fit the cabinet? I wanted something bigger than a 27" flat panel.

I did buy a copy of Top Gun on Blueray to play on my new TV just because it is a cool movie. I won't be getting the set calibrated at least for now as I broke my piggy bank just buying this TV.

Glad to join the Pioneer family. I wasn't going to even buy a new TV this year until I came across a deal on this NIB 500M from an authorized dealer. I had planned to wait to see if Panasonic fixed their issues next year.

I'm shocked by the sheer size of this thing. A 50" doesn't look so big in the store. I planned on a 42", but Pioneer doesn't make such a size.
post #13190 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfert View Post

I'm shocked by the sheer size of this thing. A 50" doesn't look so big in the store. I planned on a 42", but Pioneer doesn't make such a size.

Congratulations! Just wait until you watch a BD movie. You will be blown away and will be very happy you went with a 50 inch screen instead of something smaller. Go to this thread and rent one of the Tier 0 blu ray movies. They will knock your socks off.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342
post #13191 of 15008 Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Congrats belfert! You sound just like me about a month ago.

Now comes the real headache...playing around with the settings.
post #13192 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 AM

@ brucefan:

Thanks for your post, I think I will definitely be going for a professional calibration now. But can't seem to find one in my area, no one is answering my email inquiries.
post #13193 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:

@ brucefan:

Thanks for your post, I think I will definitely be going for a professional calibration now. But can't seem to find one in my area, no one is answering my email inquiries.

I had the same problem....0 out of 4 replied to my emails or online quote request. D-Nice happened to be traveling to this area and replied to me to set up the calibration. It's a shame because I live in the Philadelphia area so he probably could've hit yours during the same trip. I'd PM him and see if he's coming back to the area anytime soon.
post #13194 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy13 View Post

Hi guys I have a Pioneer 5020 and a PS3 and want to make sure I have the best settings for the ps3.. As Far as RGB Full range limited or full, super white on or off also theres settings for BD/DVD video output RGB,Y PB, or auto and on 1080 p 24 playback auto or on. Can you guys help on these 4 settings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulture View Post

Just to check, for the gamers out there, what setting are you at for Sharpness?

I have my 500A set to -15, but I'm too sure if it's supposed to be this way for games?

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #13195 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

@ brucefan:

Did you check the Calibrator List linked in my Signature below?

PM your City and State and I will give you some names.

-Turbe

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #13196 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Going to answer my own question. Decided to bite the bullet and had D-Nice calibrate my set (incredibly nice and down to earth guy btw). After DNice's calibration...

D-Nice commented that Movie mode pre-calibration was pretty close to what it would be post and wasn't sure if I'd notice a difference. He also calibrated Peformance mode. After he was done (about 2 hours), I didn't really notice much of a difference with Movie mode but Peformance looked 10x better and was now a valid setting to use for me.

Over the next few days of switching back and forth, I now use Peformance mode during the day and Movie at night. Now though, when watching movie mode at night with the lights dim or out (have bias lighting), the picture is absolutely stunning. There are definate differences pre/post calibration and now the colors look spot on and it just seems like there's more depth...hard to explain. Don't think it's in my head since the wife made a comment about it last night and she couldn't care less if we were watching a black and white tv.

So my recommendation if anyone is wondering if they should calibrate...I'd say yes it's well worth it.

Thx for the report.

I find it Interesting that D-Nice chose to calibrate Movie Mode & Performance Mode which is a slight variation on wrinklefree's "OSM" calibration of both Movie Mode & Standard Mode. While Standard is quite bright I know Performance Mode should be giving you brightness in the 50FTL range.

I also noticed that calibration of Standard A/V mode gives you what amounts to almost a 'free' calibration of Performance Mode grayscale anyway (combine with custom user adjustments for each video mode). Vice versa would also appear to be true. I calibrated Standard but Performance Mode also improved vastly.

The known Built-in settings are the same for Performance and Standard but clearly there are some significant internal differences in offset values. I've noticed visually that in addition to being brighter Performance seems to tweak down to a less edge enhanced look.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #13197 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:

I had the same problem....0 out of 4 replied to my emails or online quote request. D-Nice happened to be traveling to this area and replied to me to set up the calibration. It's a shame because I live in the Philadelphia area so he probably could've hit yours during the same trip. I'd PM him and see if he's coming back to the area anytime soon.

Yeah that would have been great, I need more hours on the set though before getting it calibrated. I did ask D-Nice if he would be in the area again or if he knew of someone in this area but he did not reply.
post #13198 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Thx for the report.

I find it Interesting that D-Nice chose to calibrate Movie Mode & Performance Mode which is a slight variation on wrinklefree's "OSM" calibration of both Movie Mode & Standard Mode.

I've noticed visually that in addition to being brighter Performance seems to tweak down to a less edge enhanced look.

I actually sent him an email after he left asking what the difference was because I now noticed on the calibration reports everyone else got Movie and Standard calibrated by him. Haven't heard back yet though.

I do notice that at times Performance is a bit too bright and wonder if I might've been better off getting Standard calibrated. Don't get me wrong...still looks great...just wondering that's all.
post #13199 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

hey d nice perhaps you can answer this question because noone really seems to know .. I have a pioneer 5020 now for the ps3 what correct settings should i use rgb full or limited , should i also force on dvd 1080 p 24 on or auto and on bd video output auto rgb or y pb ect. can anyone help.
post #13200 of 15008 Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Just received an email from D-Nice, he'll be back in this area in 2-3 months and can do my calibration then.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 5020fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page